Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Last Pre-season game, will we win it?

Liverpool win.
      37 (82.2%)
      Dortmund win.
      1 (2.2%)
      Bore draw.
      7 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Liverpool 4:0 Borussia Dortmund: Final Pre-Season Friendly

Read 21909 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: Liverpool 4:0 Borussia Dortmund: Final Pre-Season Friendly
      Reply #322: Aug 11, 2014 01:05:08 am
      Only just gotten a chance to watch the whole game now. 

Lovren looked boss.  Not only does he look a player, but he seems to be very "mature" on the pitch.  Skrtel also looked good and I'm glad he is in the lineup and not Sakho.  I think Coates deserved a run out based on how well he did in pre-season but that's not too important.

Manquillo looked very good as well, Glen Johnson even looked for once like he was arsed.

Sterling, brilliant as usual, I think it won't be long before he's the best player in our squad.

Coutinho, what else can you say, he seems to have found another level this preseason.  He's just unplayable.  I hate to go here, I really do, but I just wonder.... I don't know, I just wonder if maybe he had found the extra gear at the end of last season, if maybe it would have been enough to push us over the finish line.  but, I suppose it's water under the bridge. 

The linkup between Sterling and Coutinho is just ridiculous.  What players.

Pathetic atmosphere unfortunately from the "supporters" (i.e., corporate types who got free tickets).  After 5 minutes it was like a library.  I seriously don't get it.  I haven't been to a game in more than 2 years, and if I could go tomorrow, I would be standing up singing the whole time.  these people go and sit on their arses and do nothing.  A couple of songs around the 60 minute mark but other than that it sounded like being at the golf, long periods of silent play interrupted by short bursts of moderate applause.  What is happening to Anfield?

anyway, roll on the regular season.  Hope Manquillo starts against Saints.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,652 posts | 481 
      Reply #323: Aug 11, 2014 03:46:09 am

Lovren looked boss.  Not only does he look a player, but he seems to be very "mature" on the pitch.  Skrtel also looked good and I'm glad he is in the lineup and not Sakho.  I think Coates deserved a run out based on how well he did in pre-season but that's not too important.

Manquillo looked very good as well, Glen Johnson even looked for once like he was arsed.

Sterling, brilliant as usual, I think it won't be long before he's the best player in our squad.

Coutinho, what else can you say, he seems to have found another level this preseason.  He's just unplayable.  I hate to go here, I really do, but I just wonder.... I don't know, I just wonder if maybe he had found the extra gear at the end of last season, if maybe it would have been enough to push us over the finish line.  but, I suppose it's water under the bridge. 

Pathetic atmosphere unfortunately from the "supporters" (i.e., corporate types who got free tickets).  After 5 minutes it was like a library.  I seriously don't get it.  I haven't been to a game in more than 2 years, and if I could go tomorrow, I would be standing up singing the whole time.  these people go and sit on their arses and do nothing.  A couple of songs around the 60 minute mark but other than that it sounded like being at the golf, long periods of silent play interrupted by short bursts of moderate applause.  What is happening to Anfield?

Spot on about the atmosphere It was actually pretty surprising that dortmund fans were finding their voice more than our supporters.Apart from the poetry in motion chant i dont remember any other chant from the supporters between the game.Maybe just because of pre season.

Anyway,What a way to finish the pre season.The one touch stuff for the 4th goal was breathtaking.With a new team saints will get ripped apart on Sunday.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #324: Aug 11, 2014 03:54:31 am
      Fourth goal, just a breath of fresh air!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #325: Aug 11, 2014 04:00:34 am
      Fourth goal, just a breath of fresh air!

It's playing as we speak on the replay on tv here in Aus. Rewinded it three times to watch it. Lovren's pass from the back and it's Sterling to Coutinho to Hendo to Coutinho to Sterling and with a quick turn and release Coutinho is away.

Only if the initial cross found Sturridge and it would of been the perfect goal.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #326: Aug 11, 2014 07:22:31 am
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,684 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #327: Aug 11, 2014 08:56:06 am

That's your best and most positive post I've read since you joind the forum.

Agree with everything you had to say. I too was a bit embarrassed by the crowd. It did go quiet after the first 5 minutes. It seems the only 2 songs the crowd gets involved in are YNWA and we are Liverpool tra la la la. The KOP tried in vain to get songs going but as usual the other stands didn't seem to know the words.

Back to the game, wow we were awesome, let's hope we play like that for the next 60 odd games we have this season.

Finally anyone know why Can was subbed at Half Time, please tell me he didn't get injured?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #328: Aug 11, 2014 09:15:43 am
      Agree with everything you had to say. I too was a bit embarrassed by the crowd. It did go quiet after the first 5 minutes. It seems the only 2 songs the crowd gets involved in are YNWA and we are Liverpool tra la la la. The KOP tried in vain to get songs going but as usual the other stands didn't seem to know the words.

it was really awful, I actually muted the volume for a few minutes, especially from say minute 75 onwards, it was just so embarrassing hearing... nothing from the crowd.  Just the occasional calm applause.  Being able to hear even the players yelling at each other, hearing the cameras flashing.  it almost makes you sick.  have you ever seen one of those matches on TV where the club for whatever reason has been punished and had to play the match behind closed doors?  it sounded like one of those.  You could hear a pin drop.  Except.... it was sold out.

Finally anyone know why Can was subbed at Half Time, please tell me he didn't get injured?

didn't look like he got injured.  Wasn't his best game this pre-season to be fair, probably just a tactical thing.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #329: Aug 11, 2014 09:29:52 am
      I learnt a fair but of German watching that game yesterday.

What is with the crowd? That was our first game at Anfield in a long while and you could even hear a pin drop.

The atmosphere has never really been the same since the mid-2000 era. Does anyone remember CL 2005 semi final against the chavs? Now that was an atmosphere!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #330: Aug 11, 2014 09:35:13 am
      I learnt a fair but of German watching that game yesterday.

brilliant.   ;D

What is with the crowd? That was our first game at Anfield in a long while and you could even hear a pin drop.

as you said, it's been like that unfortunately for many years.  the only exceptions are European nights, when the Mancs come to Anfield, and the derby against Everton.  Other than that the atmosphere is really just embarrassing.

if you go back a few pages you'll actually find some geniuses who have their heads stuck in the sand and think the atmosphere is just fine and dandy.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #331: Aug 11, 2014 10:03:42 am
      Have only watched the highlights and then caught up with the full first half this morning before work and was very impressed. Excellent way to finish a solid pre-season and we look ready for the new season.

- The lads look fit and sharp, I like the way we have pressed the ball the last couple of pre-season games especially.
      - Our tempo was superb yesterday, slick with fantastic movement just like last season so that was very encouraging to see
      - Really positive debuts from both Lovren and young Manquillio.
      - Sterling and Coutinho continue to dazzle. What a handful these two will be this season!
      - We kept a clean sheet! I like the look of Lovren and Skrtel and that would be my first choice pairing at the moment.

If we can just push Moreno over the line and then buy a genuine insurance policy for Danny Sturridge we could find ourselves right in the thick of it again this season yanno! I love the fact that most o fhte pundits have got us finishing 5th this year as well so another year of the underdog will suit us fine. 
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #332: Aug 11, 2014 11:43:22 am

Most likely because he was the only one of the starters who have been involved since the start of pre season.

Just realised Coutinho was as well, though he was subbed later too.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #333: Aug 11, 2014 12:36:08 pm
      Most likely because he was the only one of the starters who have been involved since the start of pre season.
      He did seem to be limping towards the end of the first half. That, or he has a very odd running technique.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #334: Aug 11, 2014 01:25:46 pm
      The crowd were quiet because it was a friendly; nothing more nor less. Comparing it to that of the Chelsea 2005 semi-final or other 'meaningful' games is showing a lack of perspective. Just as the players sometimes can't get fully motivated for a friendly, so it is with the crowd.

No doubt you'll hear a bit more noise when the usual suspects turn up at Anfield
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #335: Aug 11, 2014 05:21:06 pm
      Good game. I was really impressed by Manquillo the lad has a bit of Arbeloa about him I think all that's missing at this point is Arbeloa's amazing ability to celebrate every goal. Can and Lovren look like proper Liverpool players and it's great to see them integrate with the squad so quickly.

I was gobsmacked at how bloody quiet Anfield was I know it was a friendly but Fowler! that was embarrassing. Being able to hear the Dortmund coaches shout Sven! Sven! isn't my idea of a Sunday afternoon in L4 especially when there are two proper football clubs being represented on the pitch.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #336: Aug 11, 2014 06:44:34 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #337: Aug 11, 2014 07:08:24 pm
      Beautiful bit of team play here -

https://vine.co/v/MVQTx2Kx2DM
      LFCexiled
      Reply #338: Aug 11, 2014 07:39:33 pm

At times like that the only choice the opposition have is to....

From our own half to their goal in 7 seconds and 7 passes, sublime.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #339: Aug 11, 2014 08:37:42 pm
      Good game. I was really impressed by Manquillo the lad has a bit of Arbeloa about him I think all that's missing at this point is Arbeloa's amazing ability to celebrate every goal. Can and Lovren look like proper Liverpool players and it's great to see them integrate with the squad so quickly.

I was gobsmacked at how bloody quiet Anfield was I know it was a friendly but Fowler! that was embarrassing. Being able to hear the Dortmund coaches shout Sven! Sven! isn't my idea of a Sunday afternoon in L4 especially when there are two proper football clubs being represented on the pitch.

It was eerily quiet, like a theatre performance or something, that can't be good.
      The game itself was practically flawless: the players were class, the newcomers fitted in straight away and were impressive. Plus, everyone looked sharp and worked really hard.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #340: Aug 11, 2014 08:48:32 pm
      Is that not Hendo a couple of years ago?  :laugh:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #341: Aug 11, 2014 10:01:59 pm

joy to watch that pass and move
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #342: Aug 11, 2014 10:05:35 pm

Would of ripped through any defence that bit of play.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #343: Aug 11, 2014 10:25:44 pm

I can't remember a game for quite a while where we had a passing move as good as that, at speed and in full control. Carved right through them. It's a shame the ball across the box was just too far ahead of Sturridge, but saying that the way Sturridge then skinned the defender and set Henderson up was still a pretty slick end to the move.

Everyone goes on about that goal Arsenal scored against Norwich was it? IMO that move we done there was better than Arsenals.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #344: Aug 11, 2014 11:29:49 pm

Quick Reply