Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Alberto Moreno (Contract Expired)

Read 177706 times
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Re: Alberto Moreno Player Thread
      Reply #345: May 18, 2015 08:47:23 pm
      Apart from his goal against the spuds, I can't remember anything good he has done. He lets forward players  just run past him without a care in the world. Enrique would have been better this season.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #346: May 19, 2015 12:30:06 am
      thats the problem he cant defend because he only has one foot remember his first game and the goal he was responsible for.
      Wonderful to see him racing forward but being able to tackle should be at least a given

There's more to it than him only having a left peg.

His positioning, awareness and anticipation are awful.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,108 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #347: Jul 18, 2015 09:43:52 pm
      On the way out?
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #348: Jul 18, 2015 11:09:43 pm

I've read he has been injured these past two pre-season games but that doesn't tally up with the fact he came on for the last 5 in the Thailand game. Couple of articles suggesting he could be on his way so maybe he is. I think he has all the attributes to be a good player, he's quick, strong, tenacious, great engine plus he's not bad going forward BUT as a defender he needs a lot of work, probably a two year project. If he plays in a back four he will ship goals through individual errors. Problem is he won't get the defensive work at LFC and he will be playing in a system that affords him little protection and requires him Also to get up the pitch.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #349: Jul 18, 2015 11:20:07 pm

No chance. Would leave us without a LB.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #350: Jul 19, 2015 12:05:20 am
      I think people are being very harsh here. Moreno wasn't our best player by any standards last season but this criticism seems to have come from nowhere  all of a sudden. Only a few pages of discussion on this lad from last season would suggest as such compared to the reams and reams on Lovren, Johnson and Toure to name a few. Have I missed something here? Or when did we all turn our backs on Alberto?

*this post excludes comments from the almighty soothsaying federer for whom it is said foreseen the plight of young Alberto. All hail federer, watcher of football, critisiser of men, mother of dragons, Khaleesi of the great grass sea.
      « Last Edit: Jul 19, 2015 09:32:36 am by Magillionare »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #351: Jul 19, 2015 02:55:38 am
      I think people are being very harsh here. Moreno wasn't our best player by any standards last season but this criticism seems to have come from nowhere  all of a sudden. Only a few pages of discussion on this lad from last season would suggest as such compared to the reams and reams on Lovren, Johnson and Toure to name a few. Have I missed something here? Or when did we all turn our backs on Alberto?

Agreed although his tendency for howlers in big games last season was very very costly last season and something we certainly can do without. Has a lot of talent in him but he has to work hard next season.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #352: Jul 19, 2015 03:18:53 am
      this criticism seems to have come from nowhere  all of a sudden.

maybe for those who don't watch our matches.  I watched every game last season and was pointing out his failures and incompetence on multiple occasions:

Skrtel and Lovren seem to take a lot of flak but Moreno hasn't really done much lately.  He had a blinder at Spurs (seems like everyone did) but since then he's been invisible.  Took some really weird positions against Madrid, too, ended up in central midfield on more than one occasion and was caught out.

Did absolutely nothing again today.  I'm not even talking about the mistake that led to the goal.  I'm talking about his contributing play.  He runs a lot but other than that goal against Spurs he has shown very little end product thus far.  And he's airmails it in from the sideline way too often.  More like Stewie Downing than Jordi Alba in that department.

he really needs to work on his crossing.  He puts in some of the oddest crosses I've seen in a while.  Half the time they're not aimed at anyone in particular, or they're behind the attackers, or they hit the first defender.  an area of his game he really needs to improve on.

Moreno has literally done nothing all season other than score a goal against Spurs in August.

Look I'm not saying Moreno can't improve.  But let's be honest he's set the bar pretty low.  Can't cross, can't defend, not disciplined etc.  He basically scored a fantastic goal at Spurs and that's pretty much it. 

To me so far he's shown that he's a decent young fullback but not much more.  And there are decent young fullbacks all over the place.  For the money we paid for him you'd expect a bit more than that.  I mean the manager doesn't even trust him, he would rather have Lallana at wingback.  That doesn't concern you---ok.  It does concern me.

So, maybe he'll get better, maybe he won't.  I don't know.  But I don't see how you can be so sure that he's going to be this amazing fullback.  How exactly can you be convinced of that?  Because it's happened many times before with other players and they don't turn out to be that great.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #353: Jul 19, 2015 03:28:24 am
      maybe for those who don't watch our matches.  I watched every game last season and was pointing out his failures and incompetence on multiple occasions:

Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #354: Jul 19, 2015 04:07:49 am
      Pointing out failures,thats the only thing you ever do on this forum.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #355: Jul 19, 2015 05:07:37 am
      Pointing out failures,thats the only thing you ever do on this forum.

yes, because I'm tired of us being mediocre.

You're not?  okay, no problem.  You keep praising our mediocrity, and we'll keep finishing 6th-7th etc.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #356: Jul 19, 2015 06:43:52 am
      To be fair to Federer, Moreno has been mediocre in most games he played and while he is still young and no doubt will improve, he has a lot of work to do on his game.

Roma are apparently wanting to buy him (Italian speak for taking him on loan till his contract runs down then offering a pittance )

A decent offer around £8million and I would probably sell.

Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #357: Jul 19, 2015 06:59:53 am

The defensive deficiencies in Moreno's game were well hidden for much of last year when we played 3 at the back but this year (assuming we return to a back four) we're right to worry about the lad. The idea of Clyne and Moreno bombing forward at every opportunity and poor old Lucas trying to plus all the holes has me worried about our defensive solidity, and let's be honest your not an LFC fan if you're not worried about this aspect.

What we need IMHO is a solid as a rock defender on that side, we've got Clyne pushing on from right back so I'd much prefer to see a more solid Phillip Luis type at left back to balance things a touch.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #358: Jul 19, 2015 07:44:17 am

Well against the scum at Anfield was the start i think, he buried us in that game.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #359: Jul 19, 2015 07:52:21 am
      Well against the scum at Anfield was the start i think, he buried us in that game.

that wasn't the beginning, it was the culmination.  His "defending" on both of the goals was just embarrassing.  Have a look at it again:

http://www.lfc.vn/motd1/motd-liverpool-man-utd-s15-w30/

Just watch how caught out he is on the first goal, then watch him wandering around in the middle of the pitch on the second goal while Mata has the whole left side to do whatever the hell he wants.

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #360: Jul 19, 2015 07:53:35 am
      To be fair to Federer, Moreno has been mediocre in most games he played and while he is still young and no doubt will improve

how do you know that, though?

I mean how do you *know* he is going to improve?

not every young sh*te player comes good.

He might improve, he might not; that's about as much certainty as we can have.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #361: Jul 19, 2015 08:01:02 am
      how do you know that, though?

I mean how do you *know* he is going to improve?

not every young sh*te player comes good.

He might improve, he might not; that's about as much certainty as we can have.

I don't think he is sh*te mate. I think most if not all young players improve to a certain extent with age and experience, it is how much he improves and how quickly that will decide his future.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #362: Jul 19, 2015 09:31:30 am

I think you know full well that I watched every game too and you'll notice the only person that you quoted was yourself, self-obsessed much? Almost as if you've been wrong about so many things that you're clutching at straws to try and show people you're not utterly incompetent. Well done, you've spotted that Moreno isn't great defensively... Just like everyone else has. However I'd take my chances in saying that I'd find just as many negative posts from you in most player threads so I suppose if you throw enough mud at the wall some of it will stick.

My point was that this negativity has been turned up a notch more recently, apologies I should have written an asterisk at the end of my post highlighting that you were negative towards him, if you go back and check you should be happier with my post now.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #363: Jul 19, 2015 09:33:22 am

Agreed he was dire in that game.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #364: Jul 19, 2015 11:30:39 am
      yes, because I'm tired of us being mediocre.

You're not?  okay, no problem.  You keep praising our mediocrity, and we'll keep finishing 6th-7th etc.
      Who said I'm okay with being mediocre.He is a young player who should improve this season.If the same mistakes happen again this season then he should be sold.But as of now i think he should get a place in the squad for the League cup and Europa League.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #365: Jul 19, 2015 11:32:02 am
      I would say that he has some potential.

However, his defending and, most importantly for me, his positioning in general, will need a massive amount of work if he is ever to cement down a permanent spot - IMO.

He offers a threat going forward, but whether attacking or defending, his lack of discipline and awareness can prove costly, time and again.

If we keep him then he needs to knuckle down and work hard these next few weeks.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #366: Jul 19, 2015 12:13:21 pm

How's your other team Chelsea getting on this summer btw?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #367: Jul 19, 2015 12:38:13 pm
      Why can't Gomez play at LB?  He looks like he's up for it.

Sell Moreno, play Gomez at LB, keep Enrique as he doesn't seem to mind never playing.

Problem not solved but at least it will buy us some time.

Quick Reply