Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. What will the result be?

Liverpool win?
      129 (97%)
      Draw?
      2 (1.5%)
      Southampton win?
      2 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Liverpool V Southampton: Pre-Match Thread, Sun. 17th Aug 2014 KO 13:30

Read 13277 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Liverpool V Southampton: Pre-Match Thread, Sun. 17th Aug 2014 KO 13:30
      Reply #23: Aug 13, 2014 05:48:32 pm
      "Oh happy days are here again"
      F**kin love this I do, a brand new season and all to to play for, BRING IT f***in on!

sorry Saints but your in for a battering, can see us bagging 4 at least,

Mignolet
       Manquillo Skrtel Lovren Johnson
                                Gerrard

Henderson             Can
                                coutinho
            Sterling                         sturridge

Bench;  Jones, Moreno,Sakho, Lucas, Lambert, Ibe,BorinI

Start this season hitting the ground running, winning this will boost confidence
      for the next two, I'm confident we will start with a bang and send out a message,

If you think Liverpool were good last season, you've seen nothing yet!

DEATH BY FOOTBALL,the Liverpool way,

WE'RE GOING AGAIN!!!!!

YNWA
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #24: Aug 13, 2014 06:10:53 pm

Mignolet
       Manquillo Skrtel Lovren Johnson
                                Gerrard

Henderson             Can
                                coutinho
            Sterling                         sturridge

Bench;  Jones, Moreno,Sakho, Lucas, Lambert, Ibe,BorinI

Billy, you left a large gap midfield...I know Hendo and Can are quick and box to box but give them a break man.  :)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #25: Aug 13, 2014 06:12:28 pm
      Yes here we go again! A season of ups and downs ahead and who knows what the outcome at the end might be.

Starts Sunday against a side who will be fired up to do us over. A wounded animal if you like I expect them to come out fighting.  However if we get into our groove we should have far too much for them. Given what injuries we have at present the team Id love to see us go with is, in a 4-2-3-1

Mignolet

Manquillo Sakho Lovern Flannagan

Hendo   Can

Sterling     Coutinho       Suso

Sturridge

Subs: Jones, Skrtel, Enrique, Allen, Gerrard, Ibe, Lambert.

I believe over the season we need to use Stevie at the right times to have him fresh for when we will need him. I think Sunday will be a game where we can control the game without him.

Don't think well steamroll them due to the fact they probably want a go at us for buying 3 of there players so I reckon 2-0

Just to add if Moreno signs this week or anyone else I wouldn't include them in the squad. Theres enough players have trained hard and know what the boss wants from them to do a job
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #26: Aug 13, 2014 06:14:04 pm
      I get a real Buzz about waiting for a Liverpool match these days . The football is awesome the crowd have got their voice back and we are only going to get better. It reminds me very much of the early 70's .I think the lads are going to go for the jugular from the whistle its the only way to go.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #27: Aug 13, 2014 06:34:04 pm
      Cannot wait and very confident about this one. I'm going for 3-0

Gerrard pen ;D
      Lovren header  ;D ;D
      And a Sturridge cracker
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #28: Aug 13, 2014 07:03:37 pm
      Y
      Billy, you left a large gap midfield...I know Hendo and Can are quick and box to box but give them a break man.  :)

Ha,ha. Mate I fu**ed up spelling BorinI, posted then Realised my bad,
      Tried to rectify posted again then seen the gap, so F**k it Hendo & Can will have run faster, cheers for pointing out my F**k up, makes me feel a whole  lot better.

YNWA
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #29: Aug 13, 2014 08:03:09 pm
      Just win and prove the mockers wrong.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #30: Aug 13, 2014 09:27:27 pm
      Managed to get a hold of my pals season ticket for this game, cannot wait!

Would be surprised if the team is any different to the XI that started v Dortmund, perhaps the only exception being whether Moreno comes straight in or not.
      Personally I'd keep him out and stick with Manquillo/Johnson until City next week.

Ronald Koeman spoke about our game v Dortmund (as he was in attendance) and said we looked good but Dortmund didn't make it hard for Liverpool, which is something we will work to do.
      Not really sure what their setup will be but from the sounds of it they might try and tire us out, if things remain in the balance into the 2nd half I can perhaps see Markovic making an appearance or even Lambert, but Im confident of our fire power and hope we should get things done relatively easy.

2-0 I think, Sturridge and Sterling
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #31: Aug 13, 2014 09:32:58 pm
      can we start the season with a poll that is 100% for the win.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #32: Aug 13, 2014 09:33:25 pm
      Managed to get a hold of my pals season ticket for this game, cannot wait!

Would be surprised if the team is any different to the XI that started v Dortmund, perhaps the only exception being whether Moreno comes straight in or not.
      Personally I'd keep him out and stick with Manquillo/Johnson until City next week.

Ronald Koeman spoke about our game v Dortmund (as he was in attendance) and said we looked good but Dortmund didn't make it hard for Liverpool, which is something we will work to do.
      Not really sure what their setup will be but from the sounds of it they might try and tire us out, if things remain in the balance into the 2nd half I can perhaps see Markovic making an appearance or even Lambert, but Im confident of our fire power and hope we should get things done relatively easy.

2-0 I think, Sturridge and Sterling

you lucky bugger.
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #33: Aug 13, 2014 10:43:37 pm
      Going for a Liverpool win (of course!) with Sturridge, Sterling and Hendo to grab goals. If we can defend like we did against Dortmund then I reckon we could also come away with a clean sheet! Would love to see Can and Moreno get some game time here. Can't see too many of the new signings STARTING the opening game, but the team is of second concern, the first being a Liverpool win!

Luckily been pencilled in for a day off work on Sunday so will be able to watch live, something I rarely get to do!

Come on you Reds! :D
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #34: Aug 14, 2014 08:44:24 am
      I'm buzzing and also quite confident about this one and the season ahead in general. Hard to predict the starting XI - specifically the defence/fullbacks. I reckon we'll see Johnson start and probably Manquillo, but then I'm thinking Moreno will slot right in like Enrique did when we signed him a couple days before season start... speaking of Enrique, there should be room for him because he is no slouch.. it's tough to call and we can only call it based on what we've seen BR do with the players in question..

- Keeper is for certain
      - Centre halves have basically sorted themselves out - Martin Skrtel should be the man on the right as he has made that position his own under BR, whilst new signing Dejan Lovren looks set to partner him. Hopefully Sakho doesn't mind too much potentially not starting against Southampton and therefore Manchester City - I can't imagine a change in the centre halves in the second game of the season.
      - Manquillo has put his name up for a starting position at RB. Johnson or Moreno should start LB - I'm thinking Moreno to be honest, how exciting would it be to have two fresh young full backs start?! Flanagan will be unlucky not to make the squad, has he picked up an injury at all? Enrique would also be unlucky.

The rest of the team is easier to pick. Captain Stevie Gerrard, Phillipe Coutinho, Raheem Sterling, Jordan Henderson and Daniel Sturridge are certain starters, which only leaves one spot. Will it go to Joe Allen or Emre Can? Probably wont go to Lucas, and he may not even make the bench. Again a little unfair. We've got serious competition almost everywhere, OK competition up front if Markovic gets up.

Therefore.. I'm going to give my teamsheet a go.

---------------------------------------------
      -----------------Mignolet-------------------
      ------------Skrtel------Lovren--------------
      --Manquillo-----Gerrard------Johnson-----
      ---------Henderson-------Can--------------
      -----------------Coutinho-------------------
      ---------Sterling------Sturridge------------
      ----------bench-----------------------------
      ---Jones----Sakho----Moreno---Allen-----
      --------Suso-------Ibe------Lambert-------
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #35: Aug 14, 2014 09:04:21 am
      As usual I go into every season thinking we will win the league, this season I think we have the best opportunity for a number of seasons to see my wishes realised. Start with a good win against Southampton and set the marker for how we want to go on.Go the MIGHTY REDS. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #36: Aug 14, 2014 10:24:35 am
      we have been written off because we don't have Luis and I am sure the lads are ready and willing to show everyone they are not a one man team.
      I think we all expect or want us to blow away Soton but the first game of the season is just a must win game whatever the score.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #37: Aug 14, 2014 10:27:52 am
      really excited about new season. Lets start whit win and hopfully at the end we'll be drunk as hell  ;D
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #38: Aug 14, 2014 10:36:30 am
      Can't wait for this, the depression will be over soon enough.

3pts please lads.

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #39: Aug 14, 2014 10:53:13 am
      Feeling the same as a few others, I cannot wait for this. It's funny that it seems like yesterday the season finished but these last couple days will drag on.

Absolutely pumped.

My team:

Mignolet

Manquillo
      Skrtel
      Lovren
      Johnson

Gerrard
      Henderson
      Can

Coutinho
      Sterling
      Sturridge

Jones, Sakho, Enrique, Allen, Lucas, Suso, Ibe, Lambert.

Think Moreno will be sitting next to Markovic and Lallana for this one. Even if it gets done in time I don't see him playing so soon.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #40: Aug 14, 2014 11:16:28 am
      I rarely post in pre-match threads but it's so good to see them back.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #41: Aug 14, 2014 11:52:53 am
      Pumped for this can't believe the new season is here allready.

Ill be honest will be hard not seeing Luis run out on Sunday but onwards and upwards.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #42: Aug 14, 2014 12:20:29 pm
      Seems like last season only just finished, that's rare because pre season is usually limbo land, maybe the highly entertaining World cup kept my football needs at bay.
      wow it's about to kick off again!
      Team selection surely must be the team we saw playing Dortmund, not sure on the injury situation but the only one I wouldn't have out that team is Johnson.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #43: Aug 14, 2014 01:45:41 pm
      Very confident after our last pre-season performance that we will win this fairly comfortably. A similar score line of 4-0 sounds about right to me. Southampton should be a lot weaker than last season after selling us "half their team" and if we can again settle quickly it should just be about how many we can score. Would really like to see a clean sheet too, as an indication that our defensive frailties have been dealt with.

I do think that the first games of the season should all be played at the same time.... Saturday at 3 o'clock rather than having to wait till Sunday.

Can't wait!
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #44: Aug 14, 2014 01:46:34 pm
      Excited about the football we will be playing.

Caking my pants at the mere idea of a bad luck game.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #45: Aug 14, 2014 01:52:39 pm
      We're playing at home, so I wanna see us play super offensively.

Manquillo Skrtel, Lovren , Enrique
                      Gerrard
             Henderson Coutinho
          Sterling,  Sturridge,    Ibe

With 2 wide players and attacking full backs, It'll allow Hendo and especially Coutinho to play more through the middle and offering more support for Sturridge.  The key for me will be the full backs, as I feel Southampton will be forced back for the majority of the match.

Also, what I wanna see more is more combination play from Gerrard and Coutinho, commanding that middle and keeping possession.

Quick Reply