Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Owen Pleaded To Return in 2009

Read 9441 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Owen Pleaded To Return in 2009
      Aug 14, 2014 02:12:37 pm
      Michael Owen: I pleaded for Liverpool return in 2009 but Reds didn't want me - so I joined Man United

The ex-England striker has admitted he asked Jamie Carragher to push through second spell at Anfield after leaving Newcastle

Michael Owen has admitted he pleaded with Jamie Carragher to ask Liverpool bosses about a return to Anfield.

After bagging over 100 goals for the club, the ex-England striker left Merseyside for Real Madrid in 2004 but departed after just one season at the Bernabeu.

He went on to spend the next four campaigns at Newcastle but after an injury-ravaged spell, was on the lookout for a new club again in the summer of 2009.

And for the first time, Owen has revealed he was desperate to head back to Liverpool - but the club and boss Rafael Benitez weren't interested.

He told LFCTV: "I left Newcastle and the first thing I did was phone Carra [Jamie Carragher] to ask him to speak to the manager.

"However, at that time Liverpool wasn't an option, they didn't want me. I tried my best to get back, but had to have a look out as to who wanted me and who was the best team to sign for."

Owen went on to make a controversial switch to Manchester United, infuriating the Kop support which used to hold him in such high regard.

And he has revealed he moved to Old Trafford, because there was no chance of a return to Anfield.

He added: "The three teams that were seriously in for me were Hull City, Everton and Manchester United. I could have gone to Hull I suppose, but in my mind I had to play at the best level possible.

"Liverpool didn't want me, so I signed for Manchester United."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/michael-owen-pleaded-liverpool-return-4044787#ixzz3AJ9lXkmm

Cheeky little c**t!

Pity he didn't have that attitude when he fu**ed us about to sign for Newcastle.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Owen Pleaded To Return in 2009
      Reply #1: Aug 14, 2014 03:17:39 pm
      Michael Owen: I pleaded for Liverpool return in 2009 but Reds didn't want me - so I joined Man United

The ex-England striker has admitted he asked Jamie Carragher to push through second spell at Anfield after leaving Newcastle

Michael Owen has admitted he pleaded with Jamie Carragher to ask Liverpool bosses about a return to Anfield.

After bagging over 100 goals for the club, the ex-England striker left Merseyside for Real Madrid in 2004 but departed after just one season at the Bernabeu.

He went on to spend the next four campaigns at Newcastle but after an injury-ravaged spell, was on the lookout for a new club again in the summer of 2009.

And for the first time, Owen has revealed he was desperate to head back to Liverpool - but the club and boss Rafael Benitez weren't interested.

He told LFCTV: "I left Newcastle and the first thing I did was phone Carra [Jamie Carragher] to ask him to speak to the manager.

"However, at that time Liverpool wasn't an option, they didn't want me. I tried my best to get back, but had to have a look out as to who wanted me and who was the best team to sign for."

Owen went on to make a controversial switch to Manchester United, infuriating the Kop support which used to hold him in such high regard.

And he has revealed he moved to Old Trafford, because there was no chance of a return to Anfield.

He added: "The three teams that were seriously in for me were Hull City, Everton and Manchester United. I could have gone to Hull I suppose, but in my mind I had to play at the best level possible.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/michael-owen-pleaded-liverpool-return-4044787#ixzz3AJ9lXkmm

Cheeky little c**t!

Pity he didn't have that attitude when he fu**ed us about to sign for Newcastle.

Really?

I don't think Rafa held Owen in high regard, was quite happy to sell him and wasn't keen on him coming back. As far as I am aware it was Parry and Moores who were the force behind Owens return. We couldn't or wouldn't match Newcastle's offer and Madrid weren't willing to sell him cheap once Newcastle bid had been received.

Maybe if Owen had been willing to wait he could have forced the move he wanted, but as we all know his first love was England and he would have risked his England place sitting on a Madrid bench for another year. Ironically if he had done, he may not have played against Sweden in the 2006 WC and suffered the injury that basically ended his career as a top player (or at least took away the speed he once had). 

By the time he left Newcastle we had moved on, he was no longer the player he had been and it's no wonder we weren't too interested in having him back.   
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2: Aug 14, 2014 03:33:09 pm
      he must think we all have short memories.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3: Aug 14, 2014 03:38:18 pm
      I genuinely believe Owen wanted to rejoin Liverpool, back in 2005 and in 2009. But Rafa didn't want him - simple as that. I think the first time round, in 2005, Rafa said simply (and quite rightly) that we weren't going to pay over double the amount we got when we sold him a year earlier. That apparent conversation left Owen shattered and then he joined Newcastle who were the only club willing to pay the fee for him. 2009 is a bizarre situation. To have rejected Owen while we kept hold of that complete and utter turd donkey N'Gog is mind boggling. But Rafa was and still is a stubborn man and that attitude has stood him in good stead for most of his career! At the end of the day though Owen made his move in 2004 and I'm sure it still haunts him to this day. The fault ultimately lies with him, which is hard for me to say because I hold him in the highest regard for what he did for us. Him moving to the Mancs didn't change my opinion of him. A truly superb player let down by horrible injury and questionable career choices.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4: Aug 14, 2014 03:40:37 pm
      going to UTD was just him sticking a finger up at us.He knew full well what it meant going there he never gave a F**k about anyone but Michael Owen.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #5: Aug 14, 2014 04:33:25 pm
      He also had a 32 page brochure made in order to sell him to prospective clubs. In my opinion even if we did make him an offer Owen would have always gone to the highest bidder and if he was criticised by Liverpool fans he would have just said "they didn't want me badly enough."
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #6: Aug 14, 2014 04:35:02 pm
      And thankfully he did not return, because he was past his best, hardly ever fit and we got to know him for what he is: a c**t and a traitor.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #7: Aug 14, 2014 06:22:34 pm
      Agree with most of the above, Owen made his F**kin bed at Mancland now he wants try and set the record straight with this full of sh*t explanation, he F**kin knew exactly what it meant to us signing for them kunt's
      But he still signed, he says he wanted to play at the highest level possible but yet he was willing to play for us despite us enduring a lean spell,

Well Micheal, your feeble attempt to rid yourself of your. Inner guilt has failed,  in fact I have even less respect for you now simply because after all the years that have passed since you come up with that. Pile of sh*t,
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8: Aug 14, 2014 06:34:11 pm

Is it just me or does this come across as massively bitter and petty? You don't want me so I will go sign for your arch rivals instead. Why should we have wanted him back? He wanted to go on to bigger and better things and didn't give the Rafa era the slightest chance so no shock at all that Rafa didn't want him, especially when we had Fernando Torres. By then his career was virtually all but over then anyway.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #9: Aug 14, 2014 06:38:50 pm
      going to UTD was just him sticking a finger up at us.He knew full well what it meant going there he never gave a f**k about anyone but Michael Owen.

This.  He was my favorite player when I was a kid, but he showed his true colors when he went to play for the scum! 
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #10: Aug 14, 2014 07:03:12 pm
      Shouldn't have f**ked off in the first place - simple. He's never been 'taken in' by the majority of fans in part because there's something disingenuous about him. To start with..isn't he a toffee? It still pisses the Welsh off that he opted for England. Raised and schooled in Wales, even Mickey Manor is there too.

That brochure was laughable. He's got no true allegiances to anyone, his "career" has all been about looking after numero uno. A snivelling little oink with no personality whatsoever and is proving to be as bitter and twisted as his sister.

Stick to your horses. Hell, he's the right height to ride 'em - shame he's such a fat lil f**k. ;D 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #11: Aug 14, 2014 07:05:25 pm
      He's got no true allegiances to anyone,

Bar Team England!!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #12: Aug 14, 2014 07:05:53 pm
      So he fucks off to "follow his dream" and runs down his contract mind so we get sod all for him, then when it goes tits up he wants back in?

F**k right off.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #13: Aug 14, 2014 07:51:11 pm
      What a tw*t left us at the last minuet and wants to return as if nothing happened two face b***ard!!
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #14: Aug 14, 2014 08:21:58 pm
      You know what having read through some of the other posts in this thread and having thought about this for a moment I'm no longer mad at wee Michael in fact I feel sorry for him. He clearly wants some validation for his career, someone to put an arm over his shoulder and tell him he did well. It must be hard to take for him to have played for three of the biggest football clubs in the world and having scored a hat-ful of goals for his country... yet nobody likes or even cares about him. Problem is every time he opens his mouth he makes us hate him even more and the one or two Manc tw*ts who did like him probably don't like him anymore.

You know what having thought about it again I stand by what I said earlier f**k him he made his bed and he should lay in it. As a man he should grow a set of bollocks and take responsibility and admit he made a mistake instead of blaming everyone else for how irrelevant he is.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #15: Aug 14, 2014 08:39:14 pm
      Another of the numerous players to be cursed after leaving Liverpool - what did we get for him - a few million?  Serves him right.

Collection of poor career choices subsequently means that nobody is really interested in what he has to say and he doesn't really have any belonging to any club's support.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #16: Aug 14, 2014 08:54:42 pm

Cheeky little c**t!

And the same applies when the b***ard had us on a string for 12 months and then signed for Real Madrid. Liverpool made Micky Owen, Micky Owen never made Liverpool.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #17: Aug 14, 2014 09:14:13 pm
      @TonyBarretTimes: Liverpool doing a Michael Owen documentary. They should've filmed him in a half & half scarf so MUTV could buy the show.

One of the funniest and to the point comments I have read in along time.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #18: Aug 14, 2014 10:41:20 pm
      going to UTD was just him sticking a finger up at us.He knew full well what it meant going there he never gave a f**k about anyone but Michael Owen.

As much as everyone likes to stick the boot in that is a pretty blinkered view IF what he says is true in that he had offers from united, Everton or Hull when he left Newcastle. It's no wonder he picked united. Do LFC fans expect him to have opted for Hull in order to keep them happy? I understand the anger of a lot of fans but tbh it didn't bother me so much because he was a shadow of the player he was by the time he got to united
      « Last Edit: Aug 14, 2014 11:26:37 pm by Scottbot »
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #19: Aug 14, 2014 10:49:53 pm
      And the same applies when the b***ard had us on a string for 12 months and then signed for Real Madrid. Liverpool made Micky Owen, Micky Owen never made Liverpool.

This I think is rightfully the main gripe that most LFC fans have with Owen
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #20: Aug 14, 2014 11:05:12 pm

Liverpool have since had 3 strikers who are a country mile better than him too and currently have young Sterling who will take his title as our best young player.

Can't stand the irritating little pr**k. Munts are/were welcome to him, match made in heaven.
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #21: Aug 14, 2014 11:07:33 pm
      Once a Manc, never a Red!
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #22: Aug 14, 2014 11:46:17 pm
      To be fair on Owen, Benitex would have been better off getting him that season. When Torres was injured we were left with the complete joke of a player N'Gog.

As much as vitriol is spouted towards Owen, I'd snap your hands off if we were offered him with that tw*t N'Gog in the wings (and I'm not harsh on calling him a tw*t - I heard he was just that).

Quick Reply