Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Owen Pleaded To Return in 2009

Read 9443 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Owen Pleaded To Return in 2009
      Aug 14, 2014 02:12:37 pm
      Michael Owen: I pleaded for Liverpool return in 2009 but Reds didn't want me - so I joined Man United

The ex-England striker has admitted he asked Jamie Carragher to push through second spell at Anfield after leaving Newcastle

Michael Owen has admitted he pleaded with Jamie Carragher to ask Liverpool bosses about a return to Anfield.

After bagging over 100 goals for the club, the ex-England striker left Merseyside for Real Madrid in 2004 but departed after just one season at the Bernabeu.

He went on to spend the next four campaigns at Newcastle but after an injury-ravaged spell, was on the lookout for a new club again in the summer of 2009.

And for the first time, Owen has revealed he was desperate to head back to Liverpool - but the club and boss Rafael Benitez weren't interested.

He told LFCTV: "I left Newcastle and the first thing I did was phone Carra [Jamie Carragher] to ask him to speak to the manager.

"However, at that time Liverpool wasn't an option, they didn't want me. I tried my best to get back, but had to have a look out as to who wanted me and who was the best team to sign for."

Owen went on to make a controversial switch to Manchester United, infuriating the Kop support which used to hold him in such high regard.

And he has revealed he moved to Old Trafford, because there was no chance of a return to Anfield.

He added: "The three teams that were seriously in for me were Hull City, Everton and Manchester United. I could have gone to Hull I suppose, but in my mind I had to play at the best level possible.

"Liverpool didn't want me, so I signed for Manchester United."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/michael-owen-pleaded-liverpool-return-4044787#ixzz3AJ9lXkmm

Cheeky little c**t!

Pity he didn't have that attitude when he fu**ed us about to sign for Newcastle.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Owen Pleaded To Return in 2009
      Reply #1: Aug 14, 2014 03:17:39 pm
      Michael Owen: I pleaded for Liverpool return in 2009 but Reds didn't want me - so I joined Man United

The ex-England striker has admitted he asked Jamie Carragher to push through second spell at Anfield after leaving Newcastle

Michael Owen has admitted he pleaded with Jamie Carragher to ask Liverpool bosses about a return to Anfield.

After bagging over 100 goals for the club, the ex-England striker left Merseyside for Real Madrid in 2004 but departed after just one season at the Bernabeu.

He went on to spend the next four campaigns at Newcastle but after an injury-ravaged spell, was on the lookout for a new club again in the summer of 2009.

And for the first time, Owen has revealed he was desperate to head back to Liverpool - but the club and boss Rafael Benitez weren't interested.

He told LFCTV: "I left Newcastle and the first thing I did was phone Carra [Jamie Carragher] to ask him to speak to the manager.

"However, at that time Liverpool wasn't an option, they didn't want me. I tried my best to get back, but had to have a look out as to who wanted me and who was the best team to sign for."

Owen went on to make a controversial switch to Manchester United, infuriating the Kop support which used to hold him in such high regard.

And he has revealed he moved to Old Trafford, because there was no chance of a return to Anfield.

He added: "The three teams that were seriously in for me were Hull City, Everton and Manchester United. I could have gone to Hull I suppose, but in my mind I had to play at the best level possible.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/michael-owen-pleaded-liverpool-return-4044787#ixzz3AJ9lXkmm

Cheeky little c**t!

Pity he didn't have that attitude when he fu**ed us about to sign for Newcastle.

Really?

I don't think Rafa held Owen in high regard, was quite happy to sell him and wasn't keen on him coming back. As far as I am aware it was Parry and Moores who were the force behind Owens return. We couldn't or wouldn't match Newcastle's offer and Madrid weren't willing to sell him cheap once Newcastle bid had been received.

Maybe if Owen had been willing to wait he could have forced the move he wanted, but as we all know his first love was England and he would have risked his England place sitting on a Madrid bench for another year. Ironically if he had done, he may not have played against Sweden in the 2006 WC and suffered the injury that basically ended his career as a top player (or at least took away the speed he once had). 

By the time he left Newcastle we had moved on, he was no longer the player he had been and it's no wonder we weren't too interested in having him back.   
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2: Aug 14, 2014 03:33:09 pm
      he must think we all have short memories.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3: Aug 14, 2014 03:38:18 pm
      I genuinely believe Owen wanted to rejoin Liverpool, back in 2005 and in 2009. But Rafa didn't want him - simple as that. I think the first time round, in 2005, Rafa said simply (and quite rightly) that we weren't going to pay over double the amount we got when we sold him a year earlier. That apparent conversation left Owen shattered and then he joined Newcastle who were the only club willing to pay the fee for him. 2009 is a bizarre situation. To have rejected Owen while we kept hold of that complete and utter turd donkey N'Gog is mind boggling. But Rafa was and still is a stubborn man and that attitude has stood him in good stead for most of his career! At the end of the day though Owen made his move in 2004 and I'm sure it still haunts him to this day. The fault ultimately lies with him, which is hard for me to say because I hold him in the highest regard for what he did for us. Him moving to the Mancs didn't change my opinion of him. A truly superb player let down by horrible injury and questionable career choices.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4: Aug 14, 2014 03:40:37 pm
      going to UTD was just him sticking a finger up at us.He knew full well what it meant going there he never gave a F**k about anyone but Michael Owen.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #5: Aug 14, 2014 04:33:25 pm
      He also had a 32 page brochure made in order to sell him to prospective clubs. In my opinion even if we did make him an offer Owen would have always gone to the highest bidder and if he was criticised by Liverpool fans he would have just said "they didn't want me badly enough."
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #6: Aug 14, 2014 04:35:02 pm
      And thankfully he did not return, because he was past his best, hardly ever fit and we got to know him for what he is: a c**t and a traitor.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #7: Aug 14, 2014 06:22:34 pm
      Agree with most of the above, Owen made his F**kin bed at Mancland now he wants try and set the record straight with this full of sh*t explanation, he F**kin knew exactly what it meant to us signing for them kunt's
      But he still signed, he says he wanted to play at the highest level possible but yet he was willing to play for us despite us enduring a lean spell,

Well Micheal, your feeble attempt to rid yourself of your. Inner guilt has failed,  in fact I have even less respect for you now simply because after all the years that have passed since you come up with that. Pile of sh*t,
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8: Aug 14, 2014 06:34:11 pm

Is it just me or does this come across as massively bitter and petty? You don't want me so I will go sign for your arch rivals instead. Why should we have wanted him back? He wanted to go on to bigger and better things and didn't give the Rafa era the slightest chance so no shock at all that Rafa didn't want him, especially when we had Fernando Torres. By then his career was virtually all but over then anyway.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #9: Aug 14, 2014 06:38:50 pm
      going to UTD was just him sticking a finger up at us.He knew full well what it meant going there he never gave a f**k about anyone but Michael Owen.

This.  He was my favorite player when I was a kid, but he showed his true colors when he went to play for the scum! 
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #10: Aug 14, 2014 07:03:12 pm
      Shouldn't have f**ked off in the first place - simple. He's never been 'taken in' by the majority of fans in part because there's something disingenuous about him. To start with..isn't he a toffee? It still pisses the Welsh off that he opted for England. Raised and schooled in Wales, even Mickey Manor is there too.

That brochure was laughable. He's got no true allegiances to anyone, his "career" has all been about looking after numero uno. A snivelling little oink with no personality whatsoever and is proving to be as bitter and twisted as his sister.

Stick to your horses. Hell, he's the right height to ride 'em - shame he's such a fat lil f**k. ;D 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #11: Aug 14, 2014 07:05:25 pm
      He's got no true allegiances to anyone,

Bar Team England!!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #12: Aug 14, 2014 07:05:53 pm
      So he fucks off to "follow his dream" and runs down his contract mind so we get sod all for him, then when it goes tits up he wants back in?

F**k right off.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #13: Aug 14, 2014 07:51:11 pm
      What a tw*t left us at the last minuet and wants to return as if nothing happened two face b***ard!!
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #14: Aug 14, 2014 08:21:58 pm
      You know what having read through some of the other posts in this thread and having thought about this for a moment I'm no longer mad at wee Michael in fact I feel sorry for him. He clearly wants some validation for his career, someone to put an arm over his shoulder and tell him he did well. It must be hard to take for him to have played for three of the biggest football clubs in the world and having scored a hat-ful of goals for his country... yet nobody likes or even cares about him. Problem is every time he opens his mouth he makes us hate him even more and the one or two Manc tw*ts who did like him probably don't like him anymore.

You know what having thought about it again I stand by what I said earlier f**k him he made his bed and he should lay in it. As a man he should grow a set of bollocks and take responsibility and admit he made a mistake instead of blaming everyone else for how irrelevant he is.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #15: Aug 14, 2014 08:39:14 pm
      Another of the numerous players to be cursed after leaving Liverpool - what did we get for him - a few million?  Serves him right.

Collection of poor career choices subsequently means that nobody is really interested in what he has to say and he doesn't really have any belonging to any club's support.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #16: Aug 14, 2014 08:54:42 pm

Cheeky little c**t!

And the same applies when the b***ard had us on a string for 12 months and then signed for Real Madrid. Liverpool made Micky Owen, Micky Owen never made Liverpool.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #17: Aug 14, 2014 09:14:13 pm
      @TonyBarretTimes: Liverpool doing a Michael Owen documentary. They should've filmed him in a half & half scarf so MUTV could buy the show.

One of the funniest and to the point comments I have read in along time.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #18: Aug 14, 2014 10:41:20 pm
      going to UTD was just him sticking a finger up at us.He knew full well what it meant going there he never gave a f**k about anyone but Michael Owen.

As much as everyone likes to stick the boot in that is a pretty blinkered view IF what he says is true in that he had offers from united, Everton or Hull when he left Newcastle. It's no wonder he picked united. Do LFC fans expect him to have opted for Hull in order to keep them happy? I understand the anger of a lot of fans but tbh it didn't bother me so much because he was a shadow of the player he was by the time he got to united
      « Last Edit: Aug 14, 2014 11:26:37 pm by Scottbot »
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #19: Aug 14, 2014 10:49:53 pm
      And the same applies when the b***ard had us on a string for 12 months and then signed for Real Madrid. Liverpool made Micky Owen, Micky Owen never made Liverpool.

This I think is rightfully the main gripe that most LFC fans have with Owen
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #20: Aug 14, 2014 11:05:12 pm

Liverpool have since had 3 strikers who are a country mile better than him too and currently have young Sterling who will take his title as our best young player.

Can't stand the irritating little pr**k. Munts are/were welcome to him, match made in heaven.
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #21: Aug 14, 2014 11:07:33 pm
      Once a Manc, never a Red!
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #22: Aug 14, 2014 11:46:17 pm
      To be fair on Owen, Benitex would have been better off getting him that season. When Torres was injured we were left with the complete joke of a player N'Gog.

As much as vitriol is spouted towards Owen, I'd snap your hands off if we were offered him with that tw*t N'Gog in the wings (and I'm not harsh on calling him a tw*t - I heard he was just that).
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #23: Aug 14, 2014 11:51:47 pm
      He's a crap pundit as well.
      He could have been one of the all time greats, but for him the grass was greener elsewhere, so now he's rightly regarded as a judas.
      Hope he enjoyed his "30 pieces of silver".

I know it sounds harsh and bitter, but that's how I see it.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #24: Aug 15, 2014 12:01:37 am
      Should have pleaded to stay in the first place.

Now you're just a c**t that no one loves, Michael. And your voice is F***ing annoying.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #25: Aug 15, 2014 12:02:47 am
      He's a crap pundit as well.
      He could have been one of the all time greats, but for him the grass was greener elsewhere, so now he's rightly regarded as a judas.
      Hope he enjoyed his "30 pieces of silver".

I know it sounds harsh and bitter, but that's how I see it.

It's football, in that respect every bugger who leaves when we don't want them too is a judas. Take Judas Suarez for example.

I can't be bothered with all the hate. I don't think he left for the money, we'd had a shi..te couple of years under Houllier and he bolted to the biggest club in the world and our Captain (who we all love) nearly followed him straight out the same door an all. We got the best years of Owen's career and I hope that he will be remembered a little more fondly by reds as the years go by. In recent years my elation at winning that Fa Cup final over the gooners is only bettered by Istanbul so I will always be thankful for his contribution that day.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #26: Aug 15, 2014 12:52:28 am
      Another of the numerous players to be cursed after leaving Liverpool - what did we get for him - a few million?  Serves him right.

Collection of poor career choices subsequently means that nobody is really interested in what he has to say and he doesn't really have any belonging to any club's support.

Strange how it worked out for him.
      Played for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Manchester United.
      Ask a fan from any club about him and they probably would do well to remember him at this stage,
      apart from Liverpool fans who don't care.

When you think of the raw talent he had when he burst on the scene, that's quite sad really.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #27: Aug 15, 2014 08:44:26 am
      Strange how it worked out for him.
      Played for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Manchester United.
      Ask a fan from any club about him and they probably would do well to remember him at this stage,
      apart from Liverpool fans who don't care.

When you think of the raw talent he had when he burst on the scene, that's quite sad really.

There's only one person to blame for the void where he now finds himself, on being informed of that fact Micky would immediately text his agent, his trainer, his PR man and Uncle Tom Cobbly to find out who fu**ed his career up.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #28: Aug 15, 2014 08:50:20 am
      All he is now is a player without a home, not wanted here, not wanted there, not wanted anywhere. The only reason he'll get work now is based on his england work.

I really couldn't give a sh*t about him.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #29: Aug 15, 2014 09:39:10 am
      Well, I'm not going to be harsh on him perhaps I have mellowed over the years and we have moved on since. Going away to Real is a big disapointment. leaving the club when we were desperate. Going to Newcastle maybe excusable as we didn't bid high enough but joining the mancs is unexcusable and unforgiveable. He could have or would still has been a legend but not after he joined the mancs.

As some has said which I do agree, his first love is still the dosh and England and was and is never Liverpool Football Club.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #30: Aug 15, 2014 10:40:22 am
      Liverpool have since had 3 strikers who are a country mile better than him too and currently have young Sterling who will take his title as our best young player.

Can't stand the irritating little pr**k. Munts are/were welcome to him, match made in heaven.

I despise him as much as I love Sterling since he fu**ed off to the enemy, however, I think Owen was an incredibly special player when he was a teenager and Sterling will have to do quite a bit to be seen on the same level IMO. This could be my inner youth talking though as I've never loved a player as much as Owen when I was growing up.

I think it was a wise choice to not bring him back though. By '09 his injuries has continued, his goal rate had become very poor and frankly he didn't deserve a second chance after leaving in the manner that he did.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #31: Aug 15, 2014 11:07:25 am
      No loyalties in football, he wanted to play at the highest level and the Mancs offered him that.

He was my first proper striker idol as I was too young to see Fowler in his prime.  I was there at Leeds in '99 when he first did his hamstring (My Irish uncle is a Leeds fan and took me when I was 13)

I think people forget just how special a teenager he was, but his heart was never there for Liverpool just England.  it's because of that reason I can't hate him for having one last crack with the Scum.

I really can't. 
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #32: Aug 15, 2014 11:37:44 am
      Well, I'm not going to be harsh on him perhaps I have mellowed over the years and we have moved on since. Going away to Real is a big disapointment. leaving the club when we were desperate. Going to Newcastle maybe excusable as we didn't bid high enough but joining the mancs is unexcusable and unforgiveable. He could have or would still has been a legend but not after he joined the mancs.

As some has said which I do agree, his first love is still the dosh and England and was and is never Liverpool Football Club.

Desperate in 2004? We'd just hired one of, it not the best manager in Europe. 2004 for me remains the most exciting summer I have ever experienced supporting the club just because of the stature of the man put in place to take the club forward. When Owen left I was very disappointed but I knew there was so much to look forward to. What happened at the end of that season more than justified those thoughts in my opinion. I struggle to believe that it was 10 years ago now.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #33: Aug 15, 2014 11:44:27 am
      It's football, in that respect every bugger who leaves when we don't want them too is a judas. Take Judas Suarez for example.

I can't be bothered with all the hate. I don't think he left for the money, we'd had a shi..te couple of years under Houllier and he bolted to the biggest club in the world and our Captain (who we all love) nearly followed him straight out the same door an all. We got the best years of Owen's career and I hope that he will be remembered a little more fondly by reds as the years go by. In recent years my elation at winning that Fa Cup final over the gooners is only bettered by Istanbul so I will always be thankful for his contribution that day.

Leaving is one thing, the problem I have is that he deliberately ran his contract down so that RM would pay less and ensure his move.
      There's a right way and a wrong way to do things.
      We had developed him since he was a kid, made him the player that he was, and then he basically shat all over us.

It's the way he left, not the fact that he left.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34: Aug 15, 2014 12:05:03 pm
      Simple fact is he "fu**ed" us by signing for scum, he knew he was on borrowed time, only his ego got in the way of signing for Hull,and guilt had he went to blueshite,but he was happy enough to sign for munts, money,playing at a high level or whatever is bollocks,and irrelevant Imo,

I will remember his goals for us but that's it if I'm honest, but I'll remember more the way he left and who he signed for, turning his back on those who idolised him is unforgivable.

YNWA
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #35: Aug 15, 2014 01:49:59 pm
      Fat Sam tried to get Bellamy back at Newcastle from us in a straight swap with Owen when he took over at Newcastle.

We said we wouldn't even think about.

Whenever I think about him now I just see him on Match of the Day with that Movember tache.
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #36: Aug 15, 2014 02:47:23 pm
      I really don't see the big deal here. We had the best years of his career, he left - we won the CL. He is not a traitor or anything else, he is just a footballer who was already past his prime at 25.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #37: Aug 15, 2014 09:46:14 pm
      The day Michael Owen left broke my heart. In the trailer for the interview he did with LFCTV, he mentioned about how when he played in the garden, he always pretended to be Linekar scoring the the Cup Final. Well, I am off the age where Owen was my equivilant. I watched him grow as a footballer and I loved him, despite how young I was. I met him when I was 6 in Omagh, shortly after the IRA bomb. Despite his age, he was very rude to my Dad and me, not that it bothered me at the time. I was 10 years old when he scored the two against Arsenal at the Millennium stadium and I cried. The day he left was very difficult for me, when he signed for United, it was like being stabbed in the heart. I can't help but admire his quialities as a player, one whom I am sure wouldn't ahve had the same injury issues if he stayed at Anfield. Over the years, I have grown to almost despise him. especially regarding his transfer to United.

Despite all this, I don't necessarily agree with all those saying that his transfer fee was down to him. I believe sometimes things happen for a reason, why wasn't his contract longer or why was it allowed to go down without being renewed? This isn't me sticking up for him, just thought I would add that point.

Anyone have a link to the interview? I refused to watch it when aired but want to see it now. I know it will e on LFCTV tomorrow at 5pm but wouldn't mind seeing it now.
      The Lark
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts | 12 
      Reply #38: Aug 16, 2014 07:56:52 am
      He promised Houllier and the board for about a year that he would sign a new contract and was committed to Liverpool.

Then, at the end of his final season for us, when he should have been honouring that commitment, he said he wanted to go to RM.  With one year left on his contract, he knew we would have to sell for whatever we could get or lose him for F**k all (like Mcmananaman, earlier*) so we took what we could - including a F***ing useless c**t in Nunoz in the deal.

Going to RM on the cheap meant that they would be willing to pay him more.  Has happened plenty of times.

* At least Macca was honest bout it and told us in advance that he would see out his contract and leave.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #39: Aug 16, 2014 08:47:06 am
      As much as everyone likes to stick the boot in that is a pretty blinkered view IF what he says is true in that he had offers from united, Everton or Hull when he left Newcastle. It's no wonder he picked united.
      A couple of things Scotty.

Owen made about two and a half dozen games for the mancs - they were never the best option for someone who genuinely wanted to "play at the best level possible". Best payers maybe but not best option.

He would have got more game time with either Hull or Everton (his 'boyhood club' ffs) but less publicity. The lad couldn't accept that he was done and that he fu**ed his footballing life up with bad choices... "Michael Owen - Man U player" just looked better on his C.V. and massaged his ego more.

Choosing the Mancs gave him, what he saw, as one last 'creditable' chapter in the 'Michael Owen Story'... the only story he cares about. The wee turd is fooling no-one.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #40: Aug 16, 2014 09:02:45 am
      "Michael Owen - Man U player" just looked better on his C.V.

Exactly. The CV reads Liverpool, Man Utd, Real Madrid, but he's only really memorable for his
      early Liverpool career. He burnt his bridges with that fan base a long time ago. Did nothing of
      note for either of the other clubs.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #41: Aug 16, 2014 09:08:40 am
      Exactly. The CV reads Liverpool, Man Utd, Real Madrid, but he's only really memorable for his
      early Liverpool career. He burnt his bridges with that fan base a long time ago. Did nothing of
      note for either of the other clubs.

He just trying to build a bridge. He's played for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle United and Manchester United yet not one set of supporters or club gives two shits about the little gimp.

He wants to be loved but he forgets we've got long memories.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #42: Aug 16, 2014 09:10:52 am
      The problem for Mikey is that he's finally realised about 11 years too late that he'll always be referred to as the "ex Liverpool star".......shame he p#ssed in the well.

No interest in what he says.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #43: Aug 16, 2014 09:25:12 am
      He just trying to build a bridge. He's played for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle United and Manchester United yet not one set of supporters or club gives two shits about the little gimp.

He wants to be loved but he forgets we've got long memories.

He probably sees Fowler getting an ambassador role and knows it wont happen for him.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #44: Aug 16, 2014 12:37:20 pm
      Desperate in 2004? We'd just hired one of, it not the best manager in Europe. 2004 for me remains the most exciting summer I have ever experienced supporting the club just because of the stature of the man put in place to take the club forward. When Owen left I was very disappointed but I knew there was so much to look forward to. What happened at the end of that season more than justified those thoughts in my opinion. I struggle to believe that it was 10 years ago now.

Ok, I don't keep track of what happened 10 years ago, but did we have a 2nd striker at that time? I can't recall we have one. If that's the case, we were desperate no matter how we look at it.

More interestingly, what made MO moved on, could it be that he was not on Rafa's plans as stipulated? Or that it was something else?

Ok, I'm not here to defend MO and I reiterate MO by going to the mancs has turned himself from hero to zero. But, in all fairness to MO if we could wind back the clock and look at the last season he was with the club MO was leading the front line all by himself and he was a workhorse as much as in Suarez but I could see the frustration in his face. And in all honesty, I was asking myself a question, how much more he can take and will he leave if we don't get another striker in?

Then, he could have known that another striker will not be coming in soon plus money and the relationship with Rafa became the push factors. All said and done, if he truly loves the club he could have found a way to overcome those issues, but, he chose money and glory over the club. He could easily have been a legend.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #45: Aug 16, 2014 12:40:00 pm
      He probably sees Fowler getting an ambassador role and knows it wont happen for him.

If he had not gone to the mancs he could have been one as well. He has forgotten that a footballer could serve a club to the age of 35 or a little more but still needs the club to take care of them in next 35 or more. Sadly MO didn't think that far and only realise that now but the bridge was burnt long ago.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #46: Aug 16, 2014 01:28:42 pm
      The way he is kissing the scums ass on BT is making me feel physically sick. F**k off Owen!!!.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #47: Aug 16, 2014 01:34:53 pm
      Ok, I don't keep track of what happened 10 years ago, but did we have a 2nd striker at that time? I can't recall we have one. If that's the case, we were desperate no matter how we look at it.

More interestingly, what made MO moved on, could it be that he was not on Rafa's plans as stipulated? Or that it was something else?

Ok, I'm not here to defend MO and I reiterate MO by going to the mancs has turned himself from hero to zero. But, in all fairness to MO if we could wind back the clock and look at the last season he was with the club MO was leading the front line all by himself and he was a workhorse as much as in Suarez but I could see the frustration in his face. And in all honesty, I was asking myself a question, how much more he can take and will he leave if we don't get another striker in?

Then, he could have known that another striker will not be coming in soon plus money and the relationship with Rafa became the push factors. All said and done, if he truly loves the club he could have found a way to overcome those issues, but, he chose money and glory over the club. He could easily have been a legend.

We had just bought Cisse for a record fee mate.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #48: Aug 16, 2014 01:37:40 pm
      Still a manc loving pr**k, his commentary on their games is appalling,  so bias.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #49: Aug 16, 2014 01:41:58 pm
      It's funny with Micheal, I never felt any sort of warmth to him when he was here, he did great for us for 5 year period or whatever but I just never really felt like he was one of ours, that he would put himself on the line for Liverpool.. He was a good player early on but he never was really Liverpool for me.. It said it all to me when he left I didn't give a sh*t, when he came back to England I didn't give a sh*t, when he signed for Utd I didn't give a sh*t.. And I wasn't bothered or worried when he came to Anfield with other clubs.

He always cared more about himself or England.. He wouldn't get in my top 100 Liverpool players.

Honestly haven't cared about him since he left, and didn't care much for him when was here
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #50: Aug 16, 2014 02:59:39 pm
      He's a tit
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #51: Aug 16, 2014 08:06:47 pm
      Saying getting booed at Anfield was worst day of his life and his big regret, and one that will be with him until the he dies, is not being held in high regard by LFC supporters.

Then why Manchester F***ing United if you give such a F**k?
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #52: Aug 16, 2014 08:39:09 pm
      Some players, like Luis, when they leave you think "all the best, thanks for the good times mate". Some you think, "well, F**k off then".
      It's the latter imo for Owen.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #53: Aug 16, 2014 11:13:31 pm
      Despite all this, I don't necessarily agree with all those saying that his transfer fee was down to him. I believe sometimes things happen for a reason, why wasn't his contract longer or why was it allowed to go down without being renewed? This isn't me sticking up for him, just thought I would add that point.

Rick Parry tried for a full year to nail Owen down to a new contract, every single time he was rebuffed by Owen's management company, his actual agent was supposedly on a "long sabbatical" during that year. Owen ran down his contract knowing he'd get a move to Madrid, who weren't prepared to pay big money for him. Rafa tried to get him to stay when he first came into the club, but wouldn't give him any assurances about starting him every week, the final nail in the coffin was when Rafa sold his mate Murphy and then benched him for the European Cup qualifier against Sturm Graz. Had Owen played in that game, he would of still been a Liverpool player, Madrid would never have bought him with him not being eligible for European games. Rafa knew that as well and wanted the money to go in the kitty so he could get Garcia and Alonso!

Owen, just like Keegan before him and Nando would find out, when you seek pastures new away from Anfield, the only way is down!

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #54: Aug 16, 2014 11:28:04 pm
      Rick Parry tried for a full year to nail Owen down to a new contract, every single time he was rebuffed by Owen's management company, his actual agent was supposedly on a "long sabbatical" during that year. Owen ran down his contract knowing he'd get a move to Madrid, who weren't prepared to pay big money for him. Rafa tried to get him to stay when he first came into the club, but wouldn't give him any assurances about starting him every week, the final nail in the coffin was when Rafa sold his mate Murphy and then benched him for the European Cup qualifier against Sturm Graz. Had Owen played in that game, he would of still been a Liverpool player, Madrid would never have bought him with him not being eligible for European games. Rafa knew that as well and wanted the money to go in the kitty so he could get Garcia and Alonso!

Owen, just like Keegan before him and Nando would find out, when you seek pastures new away from Anfield, the only way is down!

The realism Rafa showed in that episode, the very first one he had to encounter, was impressive. He accepted the situation that Owen wanted to be in and wouldn't compromise it by getting him cup tied in Austria (which we won comfortably enough as I recall, but performed sh*t in the return leg at home!). Like you said the fact it aided our desire to get Alonso and Garcia ultimately turned into a defining moment for us. I think Owen would have comfortably got us into the CL with his goals in the PL, but with him in the team and not one of or either of Xabi or Luis Garcia we wouldn't have won the CL either.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #55: Aug 17, 2014 12:01:24 am

Spot on.

I think the final straw for Owen was the final friendly game against Roma on the tour of the U.S.  Owen scored a good goal and when the game ended he expected the usual congratulations and hugs he had always received from Houllier. Rafa didn't congratulate him, didn't hug him, just started to tell Owen what he had done wrong during the game and what he should have done instead. 

Supposedly Owen's face dropped and he went straight to his room, phoned his agent and confirmed he would be interested in moving to Madrid.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #56: Aug 17, 2014 12:18:21 am
      Wanted to go to Real and come back after a year or two. Met with Rafa in Cheyrou's house when leaving Real and he was coming back for no more than £10 mill until the geordies came and fu**ed his scenario up.

That's what the little gimp has said on the LFC TV thing he has done to try and get back in our good books anyway.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #57: Aug 17, 2014 12:24:15 am
      Wanted to go to Real and come back after a year or two. Met with Rafa in Cheyrou's house when leaving Real and he was coming back for no more than £10 mill until the geordies came and fu**ed his scenario up.

That's what the little gimp has said on the LFC TV thing he has done to try and get back in our good books anyway.

Haven't even bothered watching it.

I suppose Newcastle did us a favour trying to flex their last financial muscle!! I wonder do they reckon they got their money's worth?
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #58: Aug 17, 2014 12:28:11 am
      He said that she said that i said we said if you said we'd all say that you said..........i didn't want to go. FCUk OFF you little pri*k.
      Spin it all he like's he will never be a true red.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #59: Aug 17, 2014 12:36:20 am
      I just haven't (and never have had) the hate some of you have for Owen. He lost my respect when he signed for the mancs, but I prefer to remember the Owen that gave us hope when we had little, that won us the F.A. cup when all looked lost, that scored goals from nothing.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #60: Aug 17, 2014 02:41:21 am
      I just haven't (and never have had) the hate some of you have for Owen. He lost my respect when he signed for the mancs, but I prefer to remember the Owen that gave us hope when we had little, that won us the F.A. cup when all looked lost, that scored goals from nothing.

I just never warmed to him, but I wouldn't say I hate him, mate. I worshipped Fowler but then came Owen and he just never seemed to excite me in the same way. Football never seemed a joy for him, never seemed he was living the dream by being one, rather it always seemed it was just a job to him, no different than working in a call centre. He was a one dimensional player who, once he lost his speed, offered very little else and then to see him fart us around over his contract negotiations (let's be fair though, some blame should be apportioned to the club for not playing hardball and insisting he sign or selling him), only to see him then pop up in a Manc shirt later in his career was about as thorough a job at burning your bridges as it gets.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #61: Aug 17, 2014 04:17:33 am
      Yeh right he creamed for every penny in wages and then ran his contract right down to make a move, and we then suppose to by him back for twice the money we sold.  One of the best moves we have done to not buy him back.  At the end of the day if we had played him in that European qualifier he probably threatened to leave on a free the season after.  I have no time for him.  He gave Fergy a cheap frill after spending a career to try and sign one of our players.  He tried tirelessly to get Fowler at the end he got someone of his own class.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #62: Aug 17, 2014 08:06:52 am
      Haven't even bothered watching it

Should do if you suffer from insomnia.

Kind of like an audio version of his book.

#monotowen
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #63: Aug 18, 2014 08:17:41 am

Excellent points mate, especially when you said about Owen travelling with the squad for Strum Graz.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #64: Aug 18, 2014 08:37:12 am
      to be fair to keegan he handled his exit well and the club had 12 months to find a replacement added to which we got a good fee for him .I think he laos won Euro player of the year thingy.
      Owen just took us for a ride and had no intention of staying.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #65: Aug 18, 2014 10:03:47 am
      Ye sure, first he wanted to leave and go to spain , which was granted by LFC,
       after a disappointment there he opted for more wage money from newcastle instead of the club who brought him up and gave him his debut
       to add more salt  to the wound he than joined the manure scum

He was one of my idols, but f*cked it up  1-2-3 times

YNWA
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #66: Aug 20, 2014 09:59:06 am
      This episode in 2004 was the first building block in my views about Rafa.

Having got rid of him, unsurprisingly the league campaign that year was a major struggle. A year later, he was desperate to return, and gave us as long as he could to sign him. Rafa wouldn't budge though, and the start of the next league campaign set a new record low position by October, and left us 9 points short of the title.

4 years later, Owen tried to return again. After the disgraceful sale of Keane, and with Torres injury problems, forward options were severely limited and quality alternatives with proven ability hard to find. However Rafa had decided that the only forward he was interested in was Torres, and despite our financial problems, wouldn't even take Owen on a free. The league campaign was one embarrassment after another, and despite being top seeds in the European Cup group, that campaign was even worse. I don't like where Owen went to then, like everyone else, but he was a player that needed a club and if we were not prepared to sign him, he had to go and find one. I don't hold it against him, and remember him for the goals and the records he set for us while he was here rather than who he played for after he left.

Owen did not run down his contract. On the brink of signing a new contract, negotiations were stopped, and we got a €10 million fee for him. McManaman did, and when he went to the same club, we got nothing for him whatsoever. After all, he ended up finishing his career in mancland too.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #67: Aug 20, 2014 10:08:50 am
      This episode in 2004 was the first building block in my views about Rafa.

Having got rid of him, unsurprisingly the league campaign that year was a major struggle. A year later, he was desperate to return, and gave us as long as he could to sign him. Rafa wouldn't budge though, and the start of the next league campaign set a new record low position by October, and left us 9 points short of the title.

4 years later, Owen tried to return again. After the disgraceful sale of Keane, and with Torres injury problems, forward options were severely limited and quality alternatives with proven ability hard to find. However Rafa had decided that the only forward he was interested in was Torres, and despite our financial problems, wouldn't even take Owen on a free. The league campaign was one embarrassment after another, and despite being top seeds in the European Cup group, that campaign was even worse. I don't like where Owen went to then, like everyone else, but he was a player that needed a club and if we were not prepared to sign him, he had to go and find one. I don't hold it against him, and remember him for the goals and the records he set for us while he was here rather than who he played for after he left.

Owen did not run down his contract. On the brink of signing a new contract, negotiations were stopped, and we got a €10 million fee for him. McManaman did, and when he went to the same club, we got nothing for him whatsoever. After all, he ended up finishing his career in mancland too.

In 05 Rafa wanted him but Parry was adament he wouldn't go over £8million, at a push £10million. Newcastle came in much higher and there was no way that we were going to match them only a year after flogging him to Madrid for much lower. I can relate to that but Parry was bungling at the time if you remember the nonchalance with Stevie G that nearly seen him go to Chelsea.

With regards to him going to Madrid he wanted to go. Simple as that. Wanted a year or two there and then to come back 'like Rushie'.

I get that Rafa has been hanging out of your Missus but Owen going in 04 and not coming back really wasn't his fault. The times after that I wouldn't have had him back anyway, he was done.

EDIT Rafa and Owen met up in 05 at Bruno Cheyrou's house and agreed on him coming back.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #68: Aug 20, 2014 10:10:37 am
      To my memory we got 8 million quid from Real Madrid and a year later they wanted 16 million quid. RAFA in my opinion refused to be held to ransom and Owen signed for Newcastle. Now as I remember things Owen promised us all season that he would sign a new contract, as we know that promise was a load of crap. Owen could of been held in the same esteem as Robbie Fowler and so many Liverpool greats but he chose to go down the road he went down.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #69: Aug 20, 2014 12:00:31 pm
      Maybe we should have a poll, who was at fault for Owen not returning,  Rafa or Owen?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #70: Aug 20, 2014 12:15:59 pm
      Maybe we should have a poll, who was at fault for Owen not returning,  Rafa or Owen?

Owen.
      He runs his contract down, goes to RM on the cheap (and probably gets higher wages because of the low fee), it doesn't work out for him so he starts making noises to "come and get him", and Rafa promptly fucks him off.
      If he'd given Rafa a year, just one more season, and did a Suarez by signing a new contract which meant we got a decent price for him, then he wouldn't be held in the contempt that he is.
      If my memory is working, Rafa asked him to stay etc, but Owen was looking after Owen.
      He can't then complain when LFC looked after LFC and didn't become a retirement home on huge wages for a perpetually injured scummy little tw*t who bit the hand that fed him.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #71: Aug 20, 2014 12:21:29 pm
      Owen.
      He runs his contract down, goes to RM on the cheap (and probably gets higher wages because of the low fee), it doesn't work out for him so he starts making noises to "come and get him", and Rafa promptly fucks him off.
      If he'd given Rafa a year, just one more season, and did a Suarez by signing a new contract which meant we got a decent price for him, then he wouldn't be held in the contempt that he is.
      If my memory is working, Rafa asked him to stay etc, but Owen was looking after Owen.
      He can't then complain when LFC looked after LFC and didn't become a retirement home on huge wages for a perpetually injured scummy little tw*t who bit the hand that fed him.

Makes sense. I agree, I was pissed off when he left but kept remembering myself being pissed Rafa for benching him around that time when we needed the wins.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #72: Aug 20, 2014 12:30:06 pm
      Makes sense. I agree, I was pissed off when he left but kept remembering myself being pissed Rafa for benching him around that time when we needed the wins.

I thought Rafa came in the closed season when owen moved to madrid, and that owen didn't play in the CL qualifiers to avoid being cup tied?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #73: Aug 20, 2014 12:33:33 pm
      I thought Rafa came in the closed season when owen moved to madrid, and that owen didn't play in the CL qualifiers to avoid being cup tied?

I was young born in 95 not sure how old that would have made me, but my memories failing me. Yeah I remember seeing Owen on the bench and the commentator saying because of this its highly likely his leaving hence my anger. Now I remember.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #74: Aug 20, 2014 12:45:34 pm
      I was young born in 95 not sure how old that would have made me, but my memories failing me. Yeah I remember seeing Owen on the bench and the commentator saying because of this its highly likely his leaving hence my anger. Now I remember.

This was '94, so it would have made you a sperm or a foetus  :laugh:
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #75: Aug 20, 2014 01:04:59 pm
      This was '94, so it would have made you a sperm or a foetus  :laugh:

Wasn't it 2004/2005.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #76: Aug 20, 2014 05:06:44 pm
      I hate Michael Owen.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #77: Aug 21, 2014 05:21:20 pm
      Just in case Owen stops by the forum...
      thought I'd get him a little treat for all the hard work he puts in curing insomnia through commentary...

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #78: Aug 21, 2014 05:30:37 pm

Yep
      I blame the pain meds for these constant brain farts ;D
      N3M0N
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #79: Aug 28, 2014 08:01:04 am
      He said he's huge fan of Everton, so yes, playing for l'pool for him was just a job...
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #80: Aug 28, 2014 09:34:08 am
      I think the decision to join Real and the timing cut deep into the memory of many fans.  He was totally loved here; I remember those days, as do many of us.  I think he had a big post-playing career also ahead of him at LFC - before the move to Real.  The club got a pittance of a fee by todays standards.
      I'm not entirely sure what went on in the background (there are claims and counter-claims) but he gave the outward appearance of time-wasting over new contract discussions with us and thus aided and abetted Real in their bid to get his transfer fee down.  The move to Newcastle was probably good for his career, but the move to the Mancs finally put him beyond the pale.  I don't think there are many fans at the Club who have any time for him now.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #81: Aug 28, 2014 03:25:13 pm
      He said he's huge fan of Everton, so yes, playing for l'pool for him was just a job...

His dad played for Everton!!

Rush, Fowler, Carragher

All blues fans, but now Liverpool legends. Michael Owen can F**k off!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #82: Aug 28, 2014 05:17:11 pm
      Is he on the look out for a new book or broadcasting deal or something? Self publicity comes to mind with this interview. I loved him for what he did for us. I was sad when he left because we desparately needed him but didn't begrudge him too much because it was Real Madrid. But going to United hurt. He never was a true LFC family member, his own career was always much more improtant to him. Stevie turned down Chelsea, twice and Carra never even considered it. Shows where true loyalties lies.

As I said, didn't begrudge him too much for going to Real and Newcastle, but going to United, knowing he was never going to get regular games, felt like he was giving us the finger for not wanting him - and for that, I lost respect for him. He can do one.
      Scottish Red Stu
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      • Make Us Dream
      Reply #83: Aug 28, 2014 07:22:02 pm
      More interested in money rather than football. Was my idol growing up doesn't even come close to my favourite ever Liverpool players now.

Quick Reply