Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Owen Pleaded To Return in 2009

Read 9445 times
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Re: Owen Pleaded To Return in 2009
      Reply #46: Aug 16, 2014 01:28:42 pm
      The way he is kissing the scums ass on BT is making me feel physically sick. F**k off Owen!!!.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #47: Aug 16, 2014 01:34:53 pm
      Ok, I don't keep track of what happened 10 years ago, but did we have a 2nd striker at that time? I can't recall we have one. If that's the case, we were desperate no matter how we look at it.

More interestingly, what made MO moved on, could it be that he was not on Rafa's plans as stipulated? Or that it was something else?

Ok, I'm not here to defend MO and I reiterate MO by going to the mancs has turned himself from hero to zero. But, in all fairness to MO if we could wind back the clock and look at the last season he was with the club MO was leading the front line all by himself and he was a workhorse as much as in Suarez but I could see the frustration in his face. And in all honesty, I was asking myself a question, how much more he can take and will he leave if we don't get another striker in?

Then, he could have known that another striker will not be coming in soon plus money and the relationship with Rafa became the push factors. All said and done, if he truly loves the club he could have found a way to overcome those issues, but, he chose money and glory over the club. He could easily have been a legend.

We had just bought Cisse for a record fee mate.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #48: Aug 16, 2014 01:37:40 pm
      Still a manc loving pr**k, his commentary on their games is appalling,  so bias.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #49: Aug 16, 2014 01:41:58 pm
      It's funny with Micheal, I never felt any sort of warmth to him when he was here, he did great for us for 5 year period or whatever but I just never really felt like he was one of ours, that he would put himself on the line for Liverpool.. He was a good player early on but he never was really Liverpool for me.. It said it all to me when he left I didn't give a sh*t, when he came back to England I didn't give a sh*t, when he signed for Utd I didn't give a sh*t.. And I wasn't bothered or worried when he came to Anfield with other clubs.

He always cared more about himself or England.. He wouldn't get in my top 100 Liverpool players.

Honestly haven't cared about him since he left, and didn't care much for him when was here
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #50: Aug 16, 2014 02:59:39 pm
      He's a tit
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #51: Aug 16, 2014 08:06:47 pm
      Saying getting booed at Anfield was worst day of his life and his big regret, and one that will be with him until the he dies, is not being held in high regard by LFC supporters.

Then why Manchester F***ing United if you give such a F**k?
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #52: Aug 16, 2014 08:39:09 pm
      Some players, like Luis, when they leave you think "all the best, thanks for the good times mate". Some you think, "well, F**k off then".
      It's the latter imo for Owen.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #53: Aug 16, 2014 11:13:31 pm
      Despite all this, I don't necessarily agree with all those saying that his transfer fee was down to him. I believe sometimes things happen for a reason, why wasn't his contract longer or why was it allowed to go down without being renewed? This isn't me sticking up for him, just thought I would add that point.

Rick Parry tried for a full year to nail Owen down to a new contract, every single time he was rebuffed by Owen's management company, his actual agent was supposedly on a "long sabbatical" during that year. Owen ran down his contract knowing he'd get a move to Madrid, who weren't prepared to pay big money for him. Rafa tried to get him to stay when he first came into the club, but wouldn't give him any assurances about starting him every week, the final nail in the coffin was when Rafa sold his mate Murphy and then benched him for the European Cup qualifier against Sturm Graz. Had Owen played in that game, he would of still been a Liverpool player, Madrid would never have bought him with him not being eligible for European games. Rafa knew that as well and wanted the money to go in the kitty so he could get Garcia and Alonso!

Owen, just like Keegan before him and Nando would find out, when you seek pastures new away from Anfield, the only way is down!

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #54: Aug 16, 2014 11:28:04 pm
      Rick Parry tried for a full year to nail Owen down to a new contract, every single time he was rebuffed by Owen's management company, his actual agent was supposedly on a "long sabbatical" during that year. Owen ran down his contract knowing he'd get a move to Madrid, who weren't prepared to pay big money for him. Rafa tried to get him to stay when he first came into the club, but wouldn't give him any assurances about starting him every week, the final nail in the coffin was when Rafa sold his mate Murphy and then benched him for the European Cup qualifier against Sturm Graz. Had Owen played in that game, he would of still been a Liverpool player, Madrid would never have bought him with him not being eligible for European games. Rafa knew that as well and wanted the money to go in the kitty so he could get Garcia and Alonso!

Owen, just like Keegan before him and Nando would find out, when you seek pastures new away from Anfield, the only way is down!

The realism Rafa showed in that episode, the very first one he had to encounter, was impressive. He accepted the situation that Owen wanted to be in and wouldn't compromise it by getting him cup tied in Austria (which we won comfortably enough as I recall, but performed sh*t in the return leg at home!). Like you said the fact it aided our desire to get Alonso and Garcia ultimately turned into a defining moment for us. I think Owen would have comfortably got us into the CL with his goals in the PL, but with him in the team and not one of or either of Xabi or Luis Garcia we wouldn't have won the CL either.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #55: Aug 17, 2014 12:01:24 am

Spot on.

I think the final straw for Owen was the final friendly game against Roma on the tour of the U.S.  Owen scored a good goal and when the game ended he expected the usual congratulations and hugs he had always received from Houllier. Rafa didn't congratulate him, didn't hug him, just started to tell Owen what he had done wrong during the game and what he should have done instead. 

Supposedly Owen's face dropped and he went straight to his room, phoned his agent and confirmed he would be interested in moving to Madrid.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #56: Aug 17, 2014 12:18:21 am
      Wanted to go to Real and come back after a year or two. Met with Rafa in Cheyrou's house when leaving Real and he was coming back for no more than £10 mill until the geordies came and fu**ed his scenario up.

That's what the little gimp has said on the LFC TV thing he has done to try and get back in our good books anyway.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #57: Aug 17, 2014 12:24:15 am
      Wanted to go to Real and come back after a year or two. Met with Rafa in Cheyrou's house when leaving Real and he was coming back for no more than £10 mill until the geordies came and fu**ed his scenario up.

That's what the little gimp has said on the LFC TV thing he has done to try and get back in our good books anyway.

Haven't even bothered watching it.

I suppose Newcastle did us a favour trying to flex their last financial muscle!! I wonder do they reckon they got their money's worth?
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #58: Aug 17, 2014 12:28:11 am
      He said that she said that i said we said if you said we'd all say that you said..........i didn't want to go. FCUk OFF you little pri*k.
      Spin it all he like's he will never be a true red.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #59: Aug 17, 2014 12:36:20 am
      I just haven't (and never have had) the hate some of you have for Owen. He lost my respect when he signed for the mancs, but I prefer to remember the Owen that gave us hope when we had little, that won us the F.A. cup when all looked lost, that scored goals from nothing.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #60: Aug 17, 2014 02:41:21 am
      I just haven't (and never have had) the hate some of you have for Owen. He lost my respect when he signed for the mancs, but I prefer to remember the Owen that gave us hope when we had little, that won us the F.A. cup when all looked lost, that scored goals from nothing.

I just never warmed to him, but I wouldn't say I hate him, mate. I worshipped Fowler but then came Owen and he just never seemed to excite me in the same way. Football never seemed a joy for him, never seemed he was living the dream by being one, rather it always seemed it was just a job to him, no different than working in a call centre. He was a one dimensional player who, once he lost his speed, offered very little else and then to see him fart us around over his contract negotiations (let's be fair though, some blame should be apportioned to the club for not playing hardball and insisting he sign or selling him), only to see him then pop up in a Manc shirt later in his career was about as thorough a job at burning your bridges as it gets.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #61: Aug 17, 2014 04:17:33 am
      Yeh right he creamed for every penny in wages and then ran his contract right down to make a move, and we then suppose to by him back for twice the money we sold.  One of the best moves we have done to not buy him back.  At the end of the day if we had played him in that European qualifier he probably threatened to leave on a free the season after.  I have no time for him.  He gave Fergy a cheap frill after spending a career to try and sign one of our players.  He tried tirelessly to get Fowler at the end he got someone of his own class.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #62: Aug 17, 2014 08:06:52 am
      Haven't even bothered watching it

Should do if you suffer from insomnia.

Kind of like an audio version of his book.

#monotowen
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #63: Aug 18, 2014 08:17:41 am

Excellent points mate, especially when you said about Owen travelling with the squad for Strum Graz.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #64: Aug 18, 2014 08:37:12 am
      to be fair to keegan he handled his exit well and the club had 12 months to find a replacement added to which we got a good fee for him .I think he laos won Euro player of the year thingy.
      Owen just took us for a ride and had no intention of staying.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #65: Aug 18, 2014 10:03:47 am
      Ye sure, first he wanted to leave and go to spain , which was granted by LFC,
       after a disappointment there he opted for more wage money from newcastle instead of the club who brought him up and gave him his debut
       to add more salt  to the wound he than joined the manure scum

He was one of my idols, but f*cked it up  1-2-3 times

YNWA
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #66: Aug 20, 2014 09:59:06 am
      This episode in 2004 was the first building block in my views about Rafa.

Having got rid of him, unsurprisingly the league campaign that year was a major struggle. A year later, he was desperate to return, and gave us as long as he could to sign him. Rafa wouldn't budge though, and the start of the next league campaign set a new record low position by October, and left us 9 points short of the title.

4 years later, Owen tried to return again. After the disgraceful sale of Keane, and with Torres injury problems, forward options were severely limited and quality alternatives with proven ability hard to find. However Rafa had decided that the only forward he was interested in was Torres, and despite our financial problems, wouldn't even take Owen on a free. The league campaign was one embarrassment after another, and despite being top seeds in the European Cup group, that campaign was even worse. I don't like where Owen went to then, like everyone else, but he was a player that needed a club and if we were not prepared to sign him, he had to go and find one. I don't hold it against him, and remember him for the goals and the records he set for us while he was here rather than who he played for after he left.

Owen did not run down his contract. On the brink of signing a new contract, negotiations were stopped, and we got a €10 million fee for him. McManaman did, and when he went to the same club, we got nothing for him whatsoever. After all, he ended up finishing his career in mancland too.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #67: Aug 20, 2014 10:08:50 am
      This episode in 2004 was the first building block in my views about Rafa.

Having got rid of him, unsurprisingly the league campaign that year was a major struggle. A year later, he was desperate to return, and gave us as long as he could to sign him. Rafa wouldn't budge though, and the start of the next league campaign set a new record low position by October, and left us 9 points short of the title.

4 years later, Owen tried to return again. After the disgraceful sale of Keane, and with Torres injury problems, forward options were severely limited and quality alternatives with proven ability hard to find. However Rafa had decided that the only forward he was interested in was Torres, and despite our financial problems, wouldn't even take Owen on a free. The league campaign was one embarrassment after another, and despite being top seeds in the European Cup group, that campaign was even worse. I don't like where Owen went to then, like everyone else, but he was a player that needed a club and if we were not prepared to sign him, he had to go and find one. I don't hold it against him, and remember him for the goals and the records he set for us while he was here rather than who he played for after he left.

Owen did not run down his contract. On the brink of signing a new contract, negotiations were stopped, and we got a €10 million fee for him. McManaman did, and when he went to the same club, we got nothing for him whatsoever. After all, he ended up finishing his career in mancland too.

In 05 Rafa wanted him but Parry was adament he wouldn't go over £8million, at a push £10million. Newcastle came in much higher and there was no way that we were going to match them only a year after flogging him to Madrid for much lower. I can relate to that but Parry was bungling at the time if you remember the nonchalance with Stevie G that nearly seen him go to Chelsea.

With regards to him going to Madrid he wanted to go. Simple as that. Wanted a year or two there and then to come back 'like Rushie'.

I get that Rafa has been hanging out of your Missus but Owen going in 04 and not coming back really wasn't his fault. The times after that I wouldn't have had him back anyway, he was done.

EDIT Rafa and Owen met up in 05 at Bruno Cheyrou's house and agreed on him coming back.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #68: Aug 20, 2014 10:10:37 am
      To my memory we got 8 million quid from Real Madrid and a year later they wanted 16 million quid. RAFA in my opinion refused to be held to ransom and Owen signed for Newcastle. Now as I remember things Owen promised us all season that he would sign a new contract, as we know that promise was a load of crap. Owen could of been held in the same esteem as Robbie Fowler and so many Liverpool greats but he chose to go down the road he went down.

Quick Reply