Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

What generation are you?

Read 7563 times
      CharlesD
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 742 posts | 68 
      Re: What generation are you?
      Reply #46: Aug 17, 2014 08:24:34 pm
      I'm 45 and I've been a fan since the early 90s when I found out there was a team called the Reds.  (Lifelong supporter of my Cincinnati Reds)

I've never been to Anfield, but hope to make in the next year or two.  In fact, last month in Chicago was the first time seeing the team live, and it was an experience I'll never forget.  Of course a home game would no doubt be that much more memorable.

As to attendance, I've never judged someone's support of a team by how many games he manages to attend.  My grandmother, God rest her soul, was a passionate supporter of the Cincinnati Reds but I don't think she attended a dozen games in her lifetime because of where she lived and her financial situation.  Plus, the money for any sports tickets these days is going to exclude a fair number of people who are otherwise diehard supporters.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #47: Aug 17, 2014 08:38:15 pm
      I'm 54 supported Liverpool from about 10, the first game I went to was against QPR, and was hooked ever since
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #48: Aug 17, 2014 10:05:01 pm
      53 this Friday, resident in Luxembourg and been a supporter since about 1969, seen them about 2 dozen times since every one of them cherished.
      For me an Out Of Towner is an attending fan who doesn't live in Liverpool itself but that would cover a large amount of season ticket holders who in my opinion are true fans!
      I Agree there are lots of Internet fans with large post counts (myself included) but surely that only cements their love for LFC !

By the way I'm not JUST an internet fan !
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #49: Aug 17, 2014 10:51:09 pm
      Just turned 40 this past June. Been following the reds for the last 34 years and had,y first experience of Anfield in 1985 for a 1-0 win over Leicester. Didn't go again for many years until watching us beat Sheffield United I n the League Cup semi-final 2nd leg at Anfield in 2003 but have been pretty steady in getting to 4-6 games per season ever since having got the bug for going the game. I live in Winchester so it's a long and expensive day up to the game but its worth every penny, particularly if the crowd are up for it. I have also got family in Warrington so often go up the night before. Count myself as truly privileged to experience some incredible atmospheres in the Champions League with the wins over Chelsea (2007 semi-final), Barcelona (okay we lost this one but went through) and Arsenal standing out as the highlights. Anfield on a night like that is truly incredible, to the point where you're voice is shredded, you've hurt yourself celebrating, and your head feels like it is going to split due to the verocity and noise of the crowd. It's simply untouchable for me.

Other highs are seeing Alonso's half-way line goal against Newcastle from the Anny road end and the incredible JF96 tribute and relentless singing in an FA Cup tie against the gooners. The roar that went up at the end of the tribute was incredible. Love to get to away days if I can but the tickets are even harder to come by. Away day highlights have to be the late win against Fulham at Craven Cottage in 09, "we're gonna win the league", I don't k ow if anyone else went that game but how long did we stay in and sing after the final whistle, it felt like 45 minutes! Incredible! Torres debut for the chavs at the Bridge was also incredible. Said to myself I would not boo him. What was I thinking! It took me about 5 seconds! I swear we really affected him that day and there was no way we were gonna lose that match, I don't know how many seats I fell over when Mereles got the winner but it was absolute carnage!

Have also witnessed fair share of lows, quite a few of them involving Chelsea (for some reason I've seen this fixture far more than any other). The 2012 FA Cup final is my only visit to a final and the Jonny Riise's late own goal in the Champs League (08 I think) made for a shitty drive home let me tell you! John O'Shea's late winner at Anfield in 07/08 is right up there and I finally got to see my first win over the mancs at the 4th attempt with last season's 1-0 win early in the season.

As for the game goers/non-goers debate. I really don't think it matters. If you can get to the game it truly is a privilege and it is a dream for many. Bu that doesn't mean your arm chair fan is any less of a fan.i' very lucky in that a friend of mine has two season tickets in the main stand and he is able to help my out at various times using the season but if you don't have sort of link it is you to get tickets. A mate of mine went the game today and he posted up a pic of his view of the game and clearly he must have been on the back ow of Anny Road top tier! I've sat here once before, you canny see the ball the minute it goes above head height! Sometimes it's better to be in your arm chair!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #50: Aug 17, 2014 10:54:03 pm
      Depends on what you class as generation. Mentally, I'm probably somewhere around the 1930s - physically I'm probably slightly younger than that but not much and reality I'm 23.

As a kid I was regular to Anfield, loved going. Then when I got to 16, sh*t happened. Arl fella lost his job, I left school so me mam and dad stopped getting money for me and I started having to pay me way in this world. So a minimum wage job at Marksy's wasn't exactly gonna get me to Anfield as much as I'd like. Few trips a year and that's the way it's been for the last few years (including today)
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #51: Aug 17, 2014 11:19:03 pm
      I've been supporting the Reds since 1970's so as far as i'm concerned i'm a paisley man .
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #52: Aug 17, 2014 11:44:33 pm
      I turned 40 in May this year.It's been 26 year's since i went to my first home game. In that time i can boast
      about being here there and everywhere on tour.
      Question i want to ask is how many out there are just internet fans on this site?
      All this crap about''out of towner's'' fan's etc. How many of you with the thousand's of post's
      are actually regular's to our game's?

I'm 28. Been a Liverpool fan since '98. Started off as an Owen fan. I was 12 during the WC that year and he was my favorite player. I followed Mickey back to LFC and I became of a fan of the club.

It want really easy to be a Liverpool fan growing up in rural southern Indiana. I couldn't watch any of the games on tv because none of the channels carried them, so I had to get all my info from the internet. For my 16th birthday I asked my parents for a subscription to Fox Sports Network (my first request for a car got shot down). FSN didn't show the Prem games, but it at least showed highlights of the games. It really takes a bit of dedication to follow a sport and team when literally no one else in the town you live in gives a flip about professional footie!!

Now, NBC and online streams make it very easy for me to follow the club I love. I have only missed a handful of games over the last 5 years. I have skipped on weddings, work, and social gatherings just so I can catch the Reds in action, and they never let me down :)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #53: Aug 18, 2014 12:04:53 am
      Been watching the Reds since the late 70's, had a season ticket on the old standing KOP....those were the days my friend.... been to FIVE European Cup Finals.....foolishly got married and had kids in the 80's/90's... Now the past few years are me time again and I'm back in the Kop every other week and absolutely loving it again, awesome to be at every game we played at Anfield last season and some away games as well....there's nothing like being at a live game....been at the Southampton game today.

Saw some of the best football I've ever seen us play last season....how very lucky I have been.

Scouse born and bred...you can take the girl out of Liverpool, but you'll never take Liverpool out of the girl.

You'll Never Walk Alone  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #54: Aug 18, 2014 11:02:58 am
      Love this thread, so many different stories.

33, been a fan since I was about 7. I was born in Turkey and back then, Liverpool was all we heard about from Europe. When I saw any games, Dalglish just captured my imagination. Was hooked straight away.

Been living in UK for 23 years now and when it came to choosing universities at 18, I immediately thought "I'm going to Liverpool, I want to go to Anfield as much as posisble". My mates thought I was mad picking university based on the team I support, but what do they know. Spent 4 years living in the city, went to Anfield dozens of times, loved every minute of my experience.

So, in short, vaguely remember the immense team of 80s, all to familiar with the disappointment of the 90s and the long wait for the title whilst watching the scumbags dominate PL, and I have a paculiar feeling there's a bright new dawn at Liverpool these days.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #55: Aug 18, 2014 12:05:07 pm
      First game was the '74 cup final as a 5 year old (carried in by my dad - made myself as small as poss).  From then on was fairly regular at Anfield and got my ST in about '83.  Used to give a lift to a friend of my dads who was a director (old bloke didn't like to drive himself anymore) so was a regular in the lounges through my teenage years (been in the boot room post match in the presence of Sir Bob, Moran, Fagan etc).  Had the ST up until 2004 when we emigrated to Oz (it's the only thing I miss about the UK).  Now have to settle with every game live at all hours on Fox Sports.  My avatar is one of my Shanks autographs (and from that era I've got pretty much all of them).
      RedRepublican
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts |
      Reply #56: Aug 18, 2014 06:27:22 pm
      My dad became an LFC fan in 1963, so I'm second generation.

I was born in 1981. My very earliest footballing memories were the 86 FA cup final and the world cup in Mexico/Hand of God.

First visit to Anfield was 95/96 season. Been back often since then.

I do remember clearly our last title win when I was 9, but saying that I was probably a little too young to really enjoy it. Sad that anyone younger than me hasn't had the joy of seeing the mighty redmen holding our trophy aloft.

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #57: Aug 19, 2014 02:06:10 am
      Im the Thatcher Generation.

Games became a luxury, I had to find a job to keep my family happy.

From my mum, to my dad and as I got older to whatever girl I met.

The luxury of going to games at Anfield were long gone. We simply had no money. I had to find work wherever it came. Heres my CV: I am an Administrator, a Stock Control Clerk, A Docker, A Cellarman, A Barman, A Factory Worker.

BUT ALWAYS a Liverpool FC Supporter.
      condenado
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #58: Aug 19, 2014 05:44:28 am
      Stevie Generation here... I am 23 and i've been suporting the club from 2000. Was in Syntagma athens in 2007 with many supporters who came from england from champions league final.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #59: Aug 19, 2014 06:49:24 am
      I'm 38 and had my first kit in 1982 (the red Umbro one with the thin stripes) and have been a Red as long as I can remember. My Mam and Dad took me to my first game at Anfield in May 1987 against Watford. It was Rushie's last game before moving to Juventus and he scored the winner, Watford had a certain winger named John Barnes in their team.

Started going to the odd games with my mates around 1990 then from around 1992/3 started going to most home games on a local bus trip.

After doing my apprenticeship in the Paddock I then graduated on to the old Kop and was on there for the last derby when we beat the bitters 2-1. By the late 90's was also going to away games (remember the days when you could just ring the club up and get certain away tickets).

Have been to lucky enough to get to five or six cup finals and although I don't go as much as I used to, I still manage to get to anywhere between 10 and 20 games a season.

Going to games has changed so much over recent years and some of the old values and ways seem to be getting lost forever but even now, especially for the big games, Anfield is still a unique and magical place.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #60: Aug 19, 2014 07:59:40 pm
      My Mam and Dad took me to my first game at Anfield in May 1987 against Watford. It was Rushie's last game before moving to Juventus and he scored the winner, Watford had a certain winger named John Barnes in their team.

That was my first ever game too.

kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #61: Aug 19, 2014 09:15:41 pm

Apparently no camera's were there that day so not seen the goal since.

Was front row of the Kemlyn, ticket cost £5.20 and my Mam threw the ball to Kenny as he was going to take a corner. Her claim to fame  ;D
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #62: Aug 19, 2014 10:20:16 pm
      27/9/1986 was my first game, Liverpool 3-3 Aston Villa. The old fella got me and are kid to a game now and again for a few years after that. Then I started going to the game regularly from around 95'. And now only miss 2-3 games a season usually down to work. I don't get to as many away games as I'd like. But still love going to the game as much as ever, and really looking forward to what the redevelopment will look like. Believe me that is gonna be a massive open space when all those houses are dropped. Going to be a massive stand when done.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #63: Aug 19, 2014 10:24:10 pm
      Followed the Reds since the mid sixties, the first game I can vividly remember, watching them on the box beating Leeds 2 1 in the FA cup final. At the ripe old age of 60, love going to Anfield, to see a game when possible.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #64: Aug 20, 2014 08:12:21 am
      Followed the Reds since the mid sixties, the first game I can vividly remember, watching them on the box beating Leeds 2 1 in the FA cup final. At the ripe old age of 60, love going to Anfield, to see a game when possible.

And what a game to remember, though I did not get to Wembley I was at the Chelsea semi final at Villa Park courtesy of Liverpool Football Club.

Quick Reply