Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

What 'qualifies' a person as a 'fan' or 'supporter' of Liverpool FC?

Read 19099 times
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 703 posts | 34 
      What 'qualifies' a person as a 'fan' or 'supporter' of Liverpool FC?
      Aug 19, 2014 12:39:40 am
      Sorry if this is not in the right section, mods, feel free to move (obviously... ;D)

Okay, so... It's getting late, I'm having a rather emotional night for personal reasons (no, my cock has not fallen off as a friend asked after jumping to a comical conclusion) and I came across an essay which I wrote for a teacher after he challenged me as to my level of support for the club. As it turned out, the essay was chosen and submitted as my discursive writing piece and was the driving force behind me achieving a 25/25 mark for that piece of folio work. I would like to share this with you all, as LFC are my comfort blanket in my times of mental darkness, so re reading and typing this out will be beneficial to me. Firstly, here is the statement which prompted my essay:

"So you're a fan of Liverpool? How many games have you been to this season exactly? In fact, how many games have you been to... ever? Surely to be considered a supporter you need to actively go and support the team, week in, week out. I myself am a supporter of Hibs, I go to every home game, several away games and I buy their shirts as well."

May I also add that this was definitely MEANT to provoke me, as we were having some banter at the time regarding Liverpool and Man U, but in no way was he being nasty about it, it was all just banter. However, so strong were my feelings against this statement, that the essay was born (which was not even scripted classwork).

Essay

Mr ______

May I first present you with some definitions:

Supporter: "A person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular sports team"
      Aficionado: "A person who is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about an activity, subject, or pastime."
      Fan: "Someone who admires and supports a person, sport, sports team, etc."

My aim within this essay is to challenge the belief that a supporter, an aficionado, a fan, MUST adhere to certain criteria set out by others. I also wish to envelope my own assertion into the essay, so a bias may - or most likely will - occur. What 'qualifies' a person to be considered a 'fan' or a 'supporter' of a football club? As this essay is of a personal nature, I will be using Liverpool Football Club as a reference and also as the team of choice to argue this point to it's obvious conclusion.

I, personally, very much consider myself a supporter of Liverpool Football Club. There is not a single person in the entire solar system who could convince me otherwise. However, I find myself in the difficult position that millions of other fellow supporters also do, I am not in a position to actively attend matches on a regular basis, if at all. Geography has dictated this sad, depressing circumstance to me. Would I, if I had the opportunity to, attend more if not all of Liverpool's matches? Of course I would. It is a wild dream equal to that of a 5 year old boy wanting to be race car driver, a 5 year old girl wanting to be THE most beautiful princess in all of the land. A dream which, unfortunately, unless circumstances change, will always only ever remain a dream. Does this in itself exclude me from being considered a supporter of the club I hold in my heart? The club I live and breathe for; the club I feel that 'extra bit sick' that I cannot go into work should I be in line to miss a big game; the club who, in my darkest moments, I turn to as a temporary 'cure' to my troubles. Any person who tries to argue that I am not a supporter of the club is fighting a losing battle from the off.

Referring back to my definitions, and being entirely pedantic, am I "a person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular sports team"? Yes. I am actively interested in and wish success for Liverpool Football Club. Am I "a person who is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about an activity, subject, or pastime"? Yes. I am very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about Liverpool Football Club. Finally, am I "someone who admires and supports a person, sport, sports team, etc."? Yes. You get the point. Sticking strictly to definitions, I meet every criteria to consider myself a supporter, an aficionado, a fan of Liverpool Football Club.

Apologies, as this is a discursive essay, I must provide two sides to the argument. I cannot consider myself a supporter of Liverpool as, because I do not attend any home or away fixtures, have any obvious 'in-your-face' tattoos referencing my love for the club or know the life story and stats of EVERY player ever to have run out at Anfield, I cannot consider myself a supporter of Liverpool FC. In fact, can I even consider myself interested in football at all? I mean, I don't take part in any 'hooliganism' which is so very obviously part and parcel of supporting a football team. [ Forum note: To anyone not familiar with sarcasm, the previous point regarding hooliganism was exactly that. Aimed at those naive and ignorant people who have no interest in football, yet pigeon hole us anyway].

I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression in recent years, I know, it's unfortunate, with no definite cure or fix. However, in Liverpool FC, I have my own form of relief. Further engaging with my love for the club numbs the pain, it keeps my mind occupied, it breaks down the walls I put up whilst having an episode. I am not afraid to admit that on several occasions I have shown my passion for the club through tears. I was only 12, but at the conclusion of the 2005 Champions League Final, I cried my little eyes out with pride and joy. So attached I had grown to a certain Fernando Torres, that when he left to join Chelsea, I cried tears of sorrow, tears of anger, tears of frustration. My love for the club stretches to the point that I have sometimes referred to the club as "the wife who would never leave me". Which brings me to my next point. Relationships. In life, a relationship is formed on several levels; a friendship, a family bond, a lovers bond, boyriend/girlfriend, marriage, children... I feel towards Liverpool the same emotions I feel towards each and every applicable relationship in life.

The club as a friend provides me with someone(thing) to 'hang out' with during down time. As I would spend time with friends, I spend time with the club. Re-living past glories, catching up with things I have missed etc. The club as a family provides me with strength and support when I need it most, not to mention my fellow supporters who are also part of the Liverpool family. The club as wife? It may sound silly, but I feel as though I am married to the club, I love the club, it puts me through every emotion imaginable (Joy when we win, disappointment when we lose, frustration when things aren't going our way and those heart in mouth moments when I feel we may concede to name but a few.)

The only thing hindering any further discussion is the word count limit applied by the exam board. So to conclude, yes I do consider myself a supporter of Liverpool FC. No, I cannot support the team in exactly the same way as others can, but I still support the team. I show my support through a very obvious emotional attachment, exchanging my disposable income for club products and sporting them proudly as I stroll down the street and also with how despite living in Scotland and not being able to afford to travel/buy match tickets, I religiously follow the ins and outs of the club. "I KNOW ALL THE WORDS TO ALLLLLLLLLLLLL THE SONGS!!" A 13 year old girl heading to a One Direction concert may say, well I know more than just the words to all the songs of Liverpool FC and I know that my heart beats Liverpool red.

I hope you all enjoy reading my essay, typing it up has made me feel a lot better! :)
      Petef1980
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Re: What 'qualifies' a person as a 'fan' or 'supporter' of Liverpool FC?
      Reply #1: Aug 19, 2014 02:26:10 am
      I don't think you have to go to games every week to be classified as a true supporter. For a start, it's now harder than ever to buy a ticket despite trying every year. This is not my fault and so this particular phrase, which I hear so often, is absolute bollocks!

I'm a massive Reds fan and supporter. In fact, my family and friends would say that I'm obsessed. I used to go to every home game when it was a lot easier to buy tickets (belonging to a supporters club branch which has closed down). Back then I would have been classed as a supporter. It is nonsense to then be told, by some, that you aren't a supporter any more.

I'm sick of hearing morons telling me I should support my local club. For a start, I had no choice over where I was born. I can support whichever team I want to and I am a true supporter. As long as you show the love, the passion, the pride, you can count yourself as being a true supporter.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2: Aug 19, 2014 10:25:28 am
      Thanks for sharing mate. I feel your pain. I'm also from Scotland and have had the same accusations levelled at me, some even suggest I'm a glory hunter. Funny, because when I started supporting Liverpool they had not won the league for about 10 years and the Champions League for about 15 years. Glory hunter, they say. Nope. I waited a few years for that. I also cried that night in 05, I went to my room when we were 3-0 down and balled my eyes out (I was only 11). I can't even remember the emotions when we won, I think the nerves, shock and eventual jubilation resulted in my brain shutting down completely.

I don't profess to be the most knowledgable fan, I don't know all the songs or history either but I know that I love Liverpool.
      I know because of the feeling I get in my stomach, that sick feeling of nerves and anticipation when I watch them play. Literally sickening. I still feel it hours after I watch them.

Anyway brilliant read mate, +1. Here's hoping we both get the opportunity to visit Anfield in the not too distant future.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Aug 19, 2014 12:01:06 pm
      Only yourself can judge whether you qualify as a supporter or fan. No one else.

Deep down, you'll know whether you are, or not. It's not up to anyone else to qualify you.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #4: Aug 19, 2014 12:10:24 pm
      Brilliant post mate.

Personally I am 19 and unfortunately have never been to anfield but I have seen a couple of away games which are local to me Arsenal, West Ham. As a youngster my dad couldn't be bothered to take me up to Liverpool as much as I begged the best I got was seeing us as the Emirates and it was still amazing too see our boys.

No one for me can tell me I am not a Liverpool fan, my heart drops when we miss, my heart races when we score, I scream when we win and punch things when we lose. The passion I have for this club is like nothing else in my life.

For someone to tell me I am not a true fan because I am not scouse or haven't been to anfield can watch a game with me (allbeit on a tv for now) and see how passionate I am about the club.

I will follow this club till my death. YNWA
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #5: Aug 19, 2014 12:16:39 pm
      My personal definition of a supporter of a football club is quite vague: 'If you get it, you get it'.

It's that simple to me. You know you're a supporter when you feel every single emotion imaginable, emotions you didn't even know you possessed, and yet your support does not waver; if anything, it gets stronger through the dark times than it does during the good times. I've cried tears of unthinkable agony for Liverpool Football Club, as well as tears of unbridled joy. As much as I love my family and friends, they can never deliver me such an incredible contrast of feelings that the club has done, and will continue to do.

At the end of the day, this club is my entire life. I get to as many games as I can, which is about 7 a season give or take, will be more this season due to getting CL tickets, but I don't believe for one second that that defines a true supporter. There are supporters in Liverpool who half arsedly follow the club, and there are supporters in Asia who give their life to the club. And vice versa. Location doesn't come into it for me.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #6: Aug 19, 2014 12:22:13 pm
      For me true fan is the one that gets emotional when Liverpool plays, regarding if you are on stadium, home, working, etc...

As long you are carrying club in your hart you are true fan and nobady can't take that from us, no matter what arguments he/she presents  :)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #7: Aug 19, 2014 12:27:32 pm
      I had an Aunite who never went to a game but she would send Birthday cards to the players I think she would qualify as a fan. Its definitely having an emotional connection. Taking a camera to a game is a big NO NO to me you are there to do a job and that is support the lads not take photos.
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #8: Aug 19, 2014 01:47:03 pm
      Thank you everyone for your replies. I posted my essay merely as a reading piece but it's been excellent to read the opinions regarding the subject topic. We truly do have the best fans in the world and it's the most amazing feeling to he part of this family. :)

YNWA.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #9: Aug 19, 2014 01:57:57 pm
      Brilliant post mate.

Personally I am 19 and unfortunately have never been to anfield but I have seen a couple of away games which are local to me Arsenal, West Ham. As a youngster my dad couldn't be bothered to take me up to Liverpool as much as I begged the best I got was seeing us as the Emirates and it was still amazing too see our boys.

No one for me can tell me I am not a Liverpool fan, my heart drops when we miss, my heart races when we score, I scream when we win and punch things when we lose. The passion I have for this club is like nothing else in my life.

For someone to tell me I am not a true fan because I am not scouse or haven't been to anfield can watch a game with me (allbeit on a tv for now) and see how passionate I am about the club.

I will follow this club till my death. YNWA

Good post.

I'm a local lad based 10mins or so from Anfield, Liverpool/Everton are closer to me than any other club. I support Liverpool because my dad does basically. My granddad wasn't into football much, my dad was born in 63 and when he was old enough so late 60's I suppose, he chose to follow Liverpool. Probably because one of his mates did. If he supported Everton (thank F**k he doesn't) then no doubt I'd be a bluenose.

Out of curiosity, and for other forum members too, what attracted you to Liverpool? Was it a particular player, success, was it pictures of the Kop?

You've said your in touching distance of West Ham and Arsenal, both big clubs, so what made you choose us?

Good decision by the way ;D

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #10: Aug 19, 2014 02:10:45 pm

Out of curiosity, and for other forum members too, what attracted you to Liverpool? Was it a particular player, success, was it pictures of the Kop?
      Michael Owen. I was very young and impressionable and he stood out amongst the rest. I've hated the b***ard ever since :laugh:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #11: Aug 19, 2014 02:55:53 pm
      I would say that anyone willing to trawl through the page after page after page of bickering and arguing on this forum for the slightest bit of info or trivia about their beloved club is a true fan and supporter. Physically going to the match, sitting in front of the TV or hunting down some dodgy stream in Spanish makes no difference at all, the passion is exactly the same.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #12: Aug 19, 2014 03:14:05 pm
      Call yourself a fan?  Pffft

I can name the Groundsman and everything. :0)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,948 posts | 3330 
      Reply #13: Aug 19, 2014 03:29:29 pm
      If you are proud to tell everyone and anyone that you support Liverpool Football Club regardless of the position we're in then you're a true fan. The second you ever hide it or begin to doubt the club is the second you're no longer a true fan.

You never slag the club off publicly to a fan of any other club. You remain defiant that despite what flaws we may have, we're still the greatest club in the world. They think a player is sh*t, you think he's world class. They think the manager is out of his depth, you think he's right at home. They think the fans are idiots, you think they're the best around. (with fellow Liverpool fans like this forum, you can be as honest as you like)

You wear your colours with pride. You shout louder when times are harder. You rejoice in every victory, you hurt with every loss. You don't "not care" about certain games. Every game is important.

Enough people sh*t on this club, you don't need to help them do so.
      Petef1980
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #14: Aug 19, 2014 03:56:46 pm
      I don't think you have to go to games every week to be classified as a true supporter. For a start, it's now harder than ever to buy a ticket despite trying every year. This is not my fault and so this particular phrase, which I hear so often, is absolute bollocks!

I'm a massive Reds fan and supporter. In fact, my family and friends would say that I'm obsessed. I used to go to every home game when it was a lot easier to buy tickets (belonging to a supporters club branch which has closed down). Back then I would have been classed as a supporter. It is nonsense to then be told, by some, that you aren't a supporter any more.

I'm sick of hearing morons telling me I should support my local club. For a start, I had no choice over where I was born. I can support whichever team I want to and I am a true supporter. As long as you show the love, the passion, the pride, you can count yourself as being a true supporter.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #15: Aug 19, 2014 04:11:34 pm
      Good post.

I'm a local lad based 10mins or so from Anfield, Liverpool/Everton are closer to me than any other club. I support Liverpool because my dad does basically. My granddad wasn't into football much, my dad was born in 63 and when he was old enough so late 60's I suppose, he chose to follow Liverpool. Probably because one of his mates did. If he supported Everton (thank f**k he doesn't) then no doubt I'd be a bluenose.

You've said your in touching distance of West Ham and Arsenal, both big clubs, so what made you choose us?

Good decision by the way ;D

First team I ever saw or can remember watching on tv and my favorite colour was red, and just followed them ever since.

Love at first sight I guess. Once I watched a couple matches dad started buying me kits and it just went on from there.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,803 posts | 4909 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #16: Aug 19, 2014 04:37:22 pm
      If you are proud to tell everyone and anyone that you support Liverpool Football Club regardless of the position we're in then you're a true fan. The second you ever hide it or begin to doubt the club is the second you're no longer a true fan.

You never slag the club off publicly to a fan of any other club. You remain defiant that despite what flaws we may have, we're still the greatest club in the world. They think a player is sh*t, you think he's world class. They think the manager is out of his depth, you think he's right at home. They think the fans are idiots, you think they're the best around. (with fellow Liverpool fans like this forum, you can be as honest as you like)

You wear your colours with pride. You shout louder when times are harder. You rejoice in every victory, you hurt with every loss. You don't "not care" about certain games. Every game is important.

Enough people sh*t on this club, you don't need to help them do so.

Sums it all up perfectly, sometimes my passion gets the better of me but on all honesty I don't f***in care, my local has wolves, baggies, villa sh*t, munts & yids, and not one of those kunt's can hold a decent conversation and all take or try taking the piss,
      They soon shut the F**k up tho when I point out a few facts,
      I don't get to games these days unfortunately but I haven't lost any of the love I hold for our club, next to my kids I don't love anything more,

I hope one day I'll be back to Anfield to support the team live, until then tho I'll continue to support the lads from home or the ale house and go thru all the emotions like everyone else,
      My lad is a red also and he sees my passion, a trait I'm so proud to pass on to him, my dream is to stand on the Kop with my lad by my side and belt out all our songs, if that were to happen I would die a happy man, Liverpool Football club, in my heart for ever, there is no other like it,

God Bless All Reds, everywhere !

YNWA
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,222 posts | 747 
      Reply #17: Aug 19, 2014 04:57:40 pm
      Living not too far away in North Wales, on a low income, I try and get to see the Reds whenever possible. I have a mate who tries to sort me out a ticket, I went to the home games against Everton and Man City earlier on this year. Otherwise always follow them one way or another through the media or on this forum. Everybody who knows me, will tell you I am a true Red, it does not matter to some extent how many games you get to, although the more the merrier as far as I am concerned, but I know I am a true Red at heart, if that makes sense.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #18: Aug 19, 2014 05:12:33 pm
      Don't think it makes much difference but if pushed, I'd like to be called a supporter.

What does matter though is how you act and behave. Whatever you call yourself, if you don't learn the history of the club, it's values and what it stands for then you are neither.

You cant base it on attendance of games, as I can say for a fact....there are hundreds if not thousands at the game these days who not only have no clue about football...they certainly have no clue about this Mighty club and it's fantastic traditions!

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #19: Aug 19, 2014 05:26:57 pm
      Q: What 'qualifies' a person as a 'fan' or 'supporter' of Liverpool FC?

A: 1: Someone who goes the game

2: Everyone else (whether they watch the games on telly, pub, buy all the kits etc etc)

Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #20: Aug 19, 2014 06:47:25 pm
      There's a recurring theme of answers such as passion and love in this thread. Such great reads. Each and every person who has replied has expressed their passion and love through their comments.

There's a "thing" most Scottish football fans I know have, which is to have an English AND a Scottish team. Typically (generalising a bit here) Rangers fans associate with Chelsea and Celtic fans with Liverpool. I personally don't, my one and only team are Liverpool, no ifs ands or buts. Liverpool through and through. :)
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,537 posts | 2126 
      Reply #21: Aug 19, 2014 06:53:42 pm
      My wife thinks I am a total geek for spending so much time on this football forum and the one I used previously. I have spent literally weeks of my life reading and chatting about all things LFC. The fact that everyone on this forum loves the club enough to spend there time in here makes you supporters as far as I am concerned. If you take the time to come on here then LFC is clearly important to all of you.

Great OP by the way :-)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #22: Aug 19, 2014 06:57:25 pm
      My wife thinks I am a total geek for spending so much time on this football forum and the one I used previously.

Swift kick to the face will sort that nonsense.

Quick Reply