Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

What 'qualifies' a person as a 'fan' or 'supporter' of Liverpool FC?

Read 19223 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Re: What 'qualifies' a person as a 'fan' or 'supporter' of Liverpool FC?
      Reply #23: Aug 19, 2014 07:01:08 pm
      Swift kick to the face will sort that nonsense.

Will remember to give you a call next time we're having marital problems  ;D :)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: Aug 19, 2014 07:12:41 pm

Is right ;)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #25: Aug 19, 2014 07:21:56 pm

He thought you said martial problems ;)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #26: Aug 19, 2014 11:51:19 pm
      I grew up believing (incorrectly) it wasn't possible to get into Anfield unless you had some magical pass in so was dragged off to old toilet instead.  It just made me love Liverpool more   ;D
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #27: Aug 20, 2014 08:19:41 am
      Identifying yourself with the club i.e. you hear someone talking about Liverpool fc and esp. if they say sth negative you feel as though they talk about yourself and then you spring to your defense.

When the opposition approaches your territory and the catecholamine levels in your bloodstream go to the 'red' means you are a true red. It is when your red heart is throbbing inside ready to implode.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #28: Aug 20, 2014 08:34:34 am
      Quote from dunlop liddell shankly
      If you are proud to tell everyone and anyone that you support Liverpool Football Club regardless of the position we're in then you're a true fan. You wear your colours with pride. You shout louder when times are harder. You rejoice in every victory, you hurt with every loss. You don't "not care" about certain games. Every game is important.

I think it's ok to not take friendlies on baseball pitches halfway round the world seriously.

That aside, every competitive game is important,  whether it's against Barnsley or Barcelona, and I hate when people demand we field weakened teams in certain games. There's always something at stake in competitive games, and those who pay good money to go deserve to be treated with respect and see the best Liverpool players currently available on any given day.

Sorry that I have no answer to the op. That's because there is no answer. If you're a Liverpool fan, you're a Liverpool fan and as welcome to be part of the club as anyone else.

therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #29: Aug 20, 2014 11:14:02 am
      Just a small aside that I thought I'd share about being challenged by an 'authority' figure on your support level.
      My step daughter was in a school lesson when her teacher mentioned he supported Blackburn Rovers. She was unable to stifle the laugh!! Who do you support he enquired. Liverpool came the response. With a heavy dose of sarcasm ( given we are 80 miles from Liverpool) he said oh yes and when were you last at Anfield. Without missing a beat she replied 'last night, and I'm there again on Saturday'. Cue one embarrassed teacher!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #30: Aug 20, 2014 11:31:07 am
      I think it's ok to not take friendlies on baseball pitches halfway round the world.

I don't know mate, it shouldn't be taken seriously but I tell ya nothing changes for me during the game, I am as happy when we score and as pissed when we miss. I guess after the game is where the difference lies, you can think at least it was only a friendly.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #31: Aug 21, 2014 05:28:56 pm
      A fan or supporter? Used to go to Anfield quite a lot in the 70s and 80s, then I got married and things changed finacial wise and now I don't go! So does that make me a fan or a supporter?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #32: Aug 21, 2014 05:55:24 pm
      I think it's ok to not take friendlies on baseball pitches halfway round the world seriously.

You also think it's alright to want our title rivals to win when we actually need them to drop points.

So forgive me if I don't hold your opinion in the highest of regards.

rossyred

• 9,283 posts | 1664 
      Reply #33: Aug 21, 2014 07:24:18 pm
      if it hurts in defeat and and back your team whether in the pub , abroad or at the match doesnt make sense that you must attend every match or that would mean we only have 40,000 fans worldwide.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #34: Aug 21, 2014 07:33:06 pm
      If your cat secretly prays for Liverpool wins, afraid of what you might do if Liverpool lose.

Miaow

Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #35: Aug 21, 2014 09:52:20 pm
      fan = likes the idea of being a supporter but doesn't have the heart, or the brains. nitpicks and finds negatives even in a great win. nothing is ever good enough for the fan. will vent their anger and frustrations on the players, coach, anyone at the club. slags off the club to stupid chelsea/manc/arse/whatever fans they talk to and for some reason listen to. very narrow minded and rarely look at the big picture.

supporter = big heart, big brain.. sometimes too big.. but it's all worth it to say you're a liverpool man/woman. never shows weakness in anger or frustration. takes pride in being a club man through thick and thin. will NEVER publicly slag off the club. able to use perspective when summing up whatever situation.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #36: Aug 21, 2014 10:53:28 pm

"So you're a fan of Liverpool? How many games have you been to this season exactly? In fact, how many games have you been to... ever? Surely to be considered a supporter you need to actively go and support the team, week in, week out. I myself am a supporter of Hibs, I go to every home game, several away games and I buy their shirts as well."

May I also add that this was definitely MEANT to provoke me, as we were having some banter at the time regarding Liverpool and Man U, but in no way was he being nasty about it, it was all just banter. However, so strong were my feelings against this statement

Ask your teacher if he's a fan of his Wife and supports her. Then ask him when did he last have sex with her

I'll get my coat....

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #37: Aug 22, 2014 01:06:53 am
      I think you their are 2 complete and opposing views of what constitutes "supporter". One is predicated on the amount you spend the other on which is based on your "passion" for the game and club. I have never been to Anfield and I wasn't born in Liverpool, because of that I have been told I am not a "true" supporter. Too which I disagree, completely.  I have been a supporter for over 3 decades. When I was 11 I started playing youth soccer in Boston. It was a small rec league for kids. My coach was Spanish and played in Europe, nothing big. He played Serie B and was a HUGE Liverpool supporter. At that time in the US, European Football was barely shown on TV. But ESPN was just starting out and by the early 80's were showing matches late at night. Because at the time Liverpool were the biggest club in England and Europe they showed a lot of their matches. Since I showed Interest in Liverpool my coach gave me a box of VHS tapes of Liverpools early 80's matches. League, Cups etc... I watched the F**k out of those tapes. I used to send away for VHS mail order of Liverpool matches after every season up until the Internet and I was able to find streams. But It wasn't like it is now. It took hours to just buffer a 90 minute match over a phone line. I spent YEARS getting up at 7-8 am on match days to watch streams, with buffering and cutting out and lost connections. It only started last year when NBC bought the rights can I watch every match on TV now, I can even DVR and watch after I get up....do you know how FANTASTIC that is for us over here in the US.

The point is I do consider myself a supporter. A bandwagon, plastic supporter will NOT get up at 7 am on Sat to find a stream online. That is a quantifiable fact. I have been saving money to go see a match in Liverpool. I have Football apps on my phone for transfer news. I take off work for Cup Finals. I take off work to go to a Liverpool pub 90 minutes away to watch the Everton and United matches. I am a supporter. Last season after the Chelsea and Palace matches I was seriously depressed, for days. That was after a good 6 weeks of constant anxiety and what I think was a serious nervous disorder.

Another FACT...I know Football. Here in the US, we have 3 distinct types of supporters. United supporters. Liverpool supporters and a weird mixture of Immigrants who follow Madrid, Barca, AC Milan and even Visla, CSKA and Boca Juniors. But of all the others its Liverpool supporters who are true, hardcore supporters. The majority of United fans are plastic bandwagon fans who dont know what offsides is and buy a scarf every 5 five years.   

Let me give you a prime example. 3 seasons ago I was in a pub watching United v Liverpool. I was sitting next to a guy wearing a United top. We talked for a minute, he told me he was a "Huge" United supporter since he was a kid. He started talking about the match and then made the bold prediction that United were going to win and that....I SWEAR THIS IS TRUE....That United will win because he thinks RONALDO is going to score a hat trick.  Ronaldo, Cristiano Ronaldo who was at that time playing in MADRID for REAL MADRID.   I said. "Ronaldo"? He said "Yes"...I said "Ronaldo isnt playing for United" he said  "Why, is he injured?"..... Yes, that happened. 

So to sum it up. I consider myself a supporter. I love the club. I love Anfield, the history, the KOP, YNWA everything about it. I will be Liverpool for LIFE. I will never not be Liverpool. I love being a supporter. I love hating United and when they win the title, I will be insane and it will be one of the best days of my life.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,415 posts | 3408 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #38: Aug 22, 2014 08:03:23 am
      You are happy when you win and if you loose you are determined to come back for more
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #39: Aug 22, 2014 09:49:34 am

Buys lots of merchandise.
      Backs up Moneyball using stats and pretty graphs.
      American
      Believes the brand should be run at a profit for the owners.
      Has no interest in the players or the club's history. Unless its on LFC.TC at the time.
      Is well versed in all the  mantras of the day:-
      eg "In fenway we trust", "we don't want a sugar daddy", "fenway saved us from oblivion", "winning doesn't matter", "give tom and george a break".
      "(insert asset stripped superstar as appropriate) isn't bigger than the club" etc etc
      Considers it absolutely unacceptable that anyone should ever dare question the owners or inexpensive signings.
      Considers all players to be mercenaries, unless they are cheap.
      Wants a giant statue of JWH outside the Kop.
      Will have a tantrum when he/she reads my post.

:lmao:
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #40: Aug 22, 2014 12:00:18 pm
      if you scream "
      Buys lots of merchandise.Backs up Moneyball using stats and pretty graphs.AmericanBelieves the brand should be run at a profit for the owners.Has no interest in the players or the club's history. Unless its on LFC.TC at the time.Is well versed in all the  mantras of the day:-eg "In fenway we trust", "we don't want a sugar daddy", "fenway saved us from oblivion", "winning doesn't matter", "give tom and george a break"."(insert asset stripped superstar as appropriate) isn't bigger than the club" etc etcConsiders it absolutely unacceptable that anyone should ever dare question the owners or inexpensive signings.Considers all players to be mercenaries, unless they are cheap. Wants a giant statue of JWH outside the Kop.Will have a tantrum when he/she reads my post.

Just a little bit of advice my friend, there isn't a conspiracy against you. Just relax on the "oh my god everyone loves criticising me" attitude and start reading people's posts objectively.  I.e. take your own ego out of the equation and look at what is actually happening at the club (rather than what is ideal world for you).
      And for god sake...don't be so ready to throw your toys out of the pram. You are talking to other fellow LFC supporters after all, people who share a common connection and love for one team like yourself. Here's an idea...go on a Manure forum and argue with them to death to get it out of your system, then come back here, I mean that.

Back to topic...what makes a fan? If you scream God's name during orgasm and sing you'll never walk alone just afterwards, you're a true fan.

LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #41: Aug 23, 2014 11:50:57 pm
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,170 posts | 520 
      Reply #42: Aug 24, 2014 07:57:12 am
      Buys lots of merchandise.
      Backs up Moneyball using stats and pretty graphs.
      American
      Believes the brand should be run at a profit for the owners.
      Has no interest in the players or the club's history. Unless its on LFC.TC at the time.
      Is well versed in all the  mantras of the day:-
      eg "In fenway we trust", "we don't want a sugar daddy", "fenway saved us from oblivion", "winning doesn't matter", "give tom and george a break".
      "(insert asset stripped superstar as appropriate) isn't bigger than the club" etc etc
      Considers it absolutely unacceptable that anyone should ever dare question the owners or inexpensive signings.
      Considers all players to be mercenaries, unless they are cheap.
      Wants a giant statue of JWH outside the Kop.
      Will have a tantrum when he/she reads my post.

:lmao:

So who pissed on your cornflakes today then ?
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #43: Aug 24, 2014 08:09:31 am
      Surely "fans" are just "Supporters" that can't get to games!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #44: Aug 24, 2014 01:04:01 pm
      As I have said previously there was a time if you didn't go the match and voiced an opinion you would get slapped down pretty quickly.
      But times have changed and if you think the last two summer tours haven't proved that we do have supporters all over the world then that's sad.
      I think Billy is in New Zealand anyone think he is not a supporter? I doubt it so geography doesn't count its what's inside that counts.
      I think if some comes on here, registers and then posts frequently without trying to be a c**t an upset and annoy everyone then why shouldn't they be called a supporter as they clearly car about the club enough to voice their opinion even if it isn't one which everyone agrees with.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #45: Aug 24, 2014 01:07:11 pm
      A fan, in my eyes, is somebody who follows the club with avid interest -- "fanatic".

A supporter is the above but also financially "supports" the club - i.e. buying match tickets, shirts, merchandise, etc.

That's how I've always seen it anyway.

Quick Reply