Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

What 'qualifies' a person as a 'fan' or 'supporter' of Liverpool FC?

Read 19226 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,242 posts | 2818 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: What 'qualifies' a person as a 'fan' or 'supporter' of Liverpool FC?
      Reply #46: Aug 24, 2014 01:15:12 pm
      In my humble opinion a fan doesn't have to attend games or buy every new jersey that comes out or live in a Liverpool tracksuit. Its something as simple as keeping your eye out for how the team are doing.  Lets be honest some people due to family and work commitments or where they live just are not going to be able to go to games go to the pub to watch every match they might not even have the time to sit in front of sky at home to watch every game.

Being a fan is something inside you. Your team becomes part of you.     
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #47: Aug 24, 2014 01:24:57 pm
      Absolutely Bri.

It doesn't matter whether you're a fan or a supporter - what matters is that we all follow & love the same team.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #48: Aug 25, 2014 02:20:00 pm
      I would say that anyone willing to trawl through the page after page after page of bickering and arguing on this forum for the slightest bit of info or trivia about their beloved club is a true fan and supporter. Physically going to the match, sitting in front of the TV or hunting down some dodgy stream in Spanish makes no difference at all, the passion is exactly the same.

I like this description ... that's what I and many others have been doing and still doing. +1
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #49: Aug 26, 2014 07:59:53 am
      Quote from dunlop liddell shankly
      You also think it's alright to want our title rivals to win when we actually need them to drop points.

So forgive me if I don't hold your opinion in the highest of regards.

It doesn't matter really.

But my love in English football for Liverpool is unconditional. My hatred for the enemy is not conditional on who they're playing every week. Given that they are our most hated rivals, I would have thought most Liverpool fans would understand that, but if they don't, they don't.

Anyway, back on topic, Liverpool fans are all the same. There's no qualification criteria.
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #50: Aug 27, 2014 02:27:25 pm
      Great post mate. Also being from Scotland I have this accusation thrown at me along with why not a Scottish club them my Scottish club are Livingston. Now I know thousands of fans of many many clubs say they support 2 clubs and I don't hide the fact I support Livi and Liverpool but I make it unequivocally clear to everyone that they're 2 absolutely different clubs and Livingston come absolutely nowhere near my love and passion for Liverpool and never will.

For me you know you're a supporter when you feel love,despair,frustration,upset,elation and every other known and unknown emotion to man.

Good post.

I'm a local lad based 10mins or so from Anfield, Liverpool/Everton are closer to me than any other club. I support Liverpool because my dad does basically. My granddad wasn't into football much, my dad was born in 63 and when he was old enough so late 60's I suppose, he chose to follow Liverpool. Probably because one of his mates did. If he supported Everton (thank f**k he doesn't) then no doubt I'd be a bluenose.

Out of curiosity, and for other forum members too, what attracted you to Liverpool? Was it a particular player, success, was it pictures of the Kop?

You've said your in touching distance of West Ham and Arsenal, both big clubs, so what made you choose us?

Good decision by the way ;D

What got me loving Liverpool was my grandad telling me about Ian St John,Bob Paisley,Bill Shankly,Dalglish and all the other greats. My dad grew up an Arsenal fan so if it wasn't for being told about all the great Liverpool teams I'd probably have ended up an Arsenal fan...the horror!
      « Last Edit: Aug 27, 2014 03:08:12 pm by TheShanklyGates »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #51: Aug 27, 2014 03:49:54 pm
      Anyone who kicked the Cat after the first City goal went in.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #52: Aug 27, 2014 03:53:40 pm
      I looked at the clock on Monday and it was 3 minutes in to the first half. I just remember wondering if my heart could handle the next 87. Am I a Liverpool fan?
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #53: Aug 27, 2014 11:16:38 pm
      I'm half Ukrainian so my local team would technically be Shaktar Donetsk!
      My Dad took me to Anfield when I was about 3. He originally went to watch the mighty Reds because he had heard that the atmospere was the best around and they played marvellous football. He had been to see other teams play in the North West but once he witnessed a game at Anfield, he was smitten. He wanted me to feel the same buzz as he did - and I do everytime I stand (well sit I suppose) in the Kop. I managed to still get to games even when I was in the RAF although it was hard work to travel sometimes. I even managed to raise overĀ£1400 for charity and played with Alan Kennedy and Jan Molby in a charity match. Nowadays I have a young family which means I can't go to many games cos of the cost. Some people think that now I don't go to every game that I'm somehow less of a fan/supporter because I have to rely on Sky or the internet to see my beloved team play.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #54: Aug 27, 2014 11:23:31 pm
      I even managed to raise overĀ£1400 for charity and played with Alan Kennedy and Jan Molby in a charity match. Nowadays I have a young family which means I can't go to many games cos of the cost. Some people think that now I don't go to every game that I'm somehow less of a fan/supporter because I have to rely on Sky or the internet to see my beloved team play.

Anyone that can raise Ā£1400 and has played in a match with Alan Kennedy and Jan Molby isn't any less of a supporter in my eyes.

Liverpool wouldn't be as successful if it wasn't for its worldwide fanbase.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #55: Aug 28, 2014 04:22:52 pm
      Liverpool wouldn't be as successful if it wasn't for its worldwide fanbase.

Bullshit!

Most of our success came before the rest of the world had even got it's kecks on!

They've just made the club richer!!

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #56: Aug 28, 2014 07:24:24 pm
      Bullshit!

Most of our success came before the rest of the world had even got it's kecks on!

EXACTLY
      Liverpool would not be here if it where not for the legions of Dockers,Ford,Standard Triumph ,Vauxhall and Corpie workers lets remember our roots and remember what Bill Shankly stood for that why Liverpool is the club it is today nothing else.If Liverpool were in the northern premier league I would still support them now is that true of all our current supporters
      Scottish Red Stu
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      • Make Us Dream
      Reply #57: Aug 28, 2014 07:32:08 pm
      Bullshit!

Couldnt agree more! .
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #58: Aug 28, 2014 07:35:32 pm
      Liverpool wouldn't be here if it weren't for Everton ;), I'm not got to let them lord it over me because of that, much like I won't the minority of locals who moan profusely about OOT's get to me either.  Every time I've gone to Liverpool, I've had a great craic, with the red & blue half.  The only City I can honestly say I've not had a bad time in.  It's a F***ing great City.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #59: Aug 28, 2014 07:37:08 pm
      Liverpool wouldn't be here if it weren't for Everton ;), I'm not got to let them lord it over me because of that, much like I won't the minority of locals who moan profusely about OOT's get to me either.  Every time I've gone to Liverpool, I've had a great craic, with the red & blue half.  The only City I can honestly say I've not had a bad time in.  It's a f**king great City.

if you lived in the city you would think it was a lot more than a minority
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #60: Aug 28, 2014 07:46:02 pm
      if you lived in the city you would think it was a lot more than a minority

I can honestly say I've only met a minority, I've taken to having long weekends up in Liverpool even when we aren't playing and, as I stated, always have a great time, even with those minority of sour pusses.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #61: Aug 28, 2014 07:49:27 pm
      I can honestly say I've only met a minority, I've taken to having long weekends up in Liverpool even when we aren't playing and, as I stated, always have a great time, even with those minority of sour pusses.

those sour pusses are friends and relatives who live in Walton and Anfield who can't get tickets for games.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #62: Aug 28, 2014 08:09:52 pm
      those sour pusses are friends and relatives who live in Walton and Anfield who can't get tickets for games.

Not all, some just like to moan.  ;)  The tickets I've managed to pick up in recent years have been against the lesser lights of the Premiership that, for some reason, tickets are always available for.
      LFC Dynamo
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #63: Aug 28, 2014 09:24:59 pm
      Just by not changing teams, and I think you have to go to one home game in your life to feel the true feeling of the club.

Location doesn't matter.
      Jim B
      • Banned

• 60 posts |
      Reply #64: Sep 14, 2014 05:07:28 pm
      I think location is probably the most important factor.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #65: Sep 14, 2014 05:58:37 pm
      I think location is probably the most important factor.

Why so?
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,316 posts | 279 
      Reply #66: Sep 14, 2014 08:58:36 pm
      I'm from St Helens I'm only 10-15 mins down the East Lancs so I'd class myself as fairly local. I've been obsessed with Liverpool from the age of 5 I'm now 35. I do go to some league games and pretty much all home cup games I'd kill for a season ticket. Either way I know I'm a true supporter as last night I was in a stinking foul mood even depressed for a few hours after the Villa defeat and I'm still GUTTED about not winning the league as results like last night make me think our chance has gone  :f_wah:
      Seriously though my Mrs and work mates think I'm mard but not winning that title haunts me on a daily basis, although I'd settle for a sixth European title this year COME ON THE REDS.
      JayC1560
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts |
      Reply #67: Sep 14, 2014 11:07:37 pm
      Location is a small factor in determining how big of a fan you are, and I don't think going the match is all too important either.  I've lived in Liverpool my whole life, but I'm more than certain there are guys and girls from outside of Liverpool who represent way harder than I do.

I was "lucky" enough to have my friends season ticket for the whole of Hodgson's reign, going to every home match including the cup games as well as several CL games over the years. My first was LFC vs Chelsea 2005.
      Unfortunately, I just can't afford to go anymore, as I decided I want to spend the money I earn on travelling and investing in having a job I love instead. That Ā£1000 a year goes a long way.

Does this make me any less of a supporter? Monetarily - yes - but I love LFC and always will, and I'd rather my ticket go to someone who has never experienced the roar of the Kop in person.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #68: Sep 15, 2014 01:21:28 am
      I think location has nothing to do with it.

Quick Reply