Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

The Sad Deterioration of Paul Gascoigne

Read 8959 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      The Sad Deterioration of Paul Gascoigne
      Aug 22, 2014 12:33:31 am
      Paul Gascoigne in hospital as he faces being made homeless after another booze binge

Paramedics and cops were called after the football legend was seen slumped outside his flat clutching a bottle of vodka

Ex-England ace Paul Gascoigne was being treated in hospital today as he faces being made homeless following another drinking binge.

Paramedics and cops were called after the football legend was seen slumped outside his flat clutching a bottle of vodka.

He was in the process of being evicted by his landlord from the property where neighbours had recently complained of the noise.

As he was taken away from his £3million rented penthouse apartment in the exclusive Sandbanks area of Poole, Dorset, Gazza phoned a friend to say: “I am in trouble, please can you come and help me.”

He was being treated at Poole Hospital tonight.

A friend said: “It is very sad. But the reality is Paul has been drinking for the past few weeks and once that happens things will only end one way.

“Today things came to a head. He has had a lot on his plate as he is in the process of trying to find somewhere to live.

“His landlord had given him 10 days to get out of the flat and it was weighing on his mind. Obviously things became too much for him in the past couple of days and he has turned back to the bottle.”

On Tuesday morning Paul was seen in a WHSmith near his plush home, which has a balcony overlooking the ocean.

He appeared drunk and unsteady on his feet as he posed for pictures with pals.

Today a spokesman for the star confirmed he was aware of the incident at Gazza’s apartment.

A spokeswoman for South West Ambulance Service confirmed paramedics were called to attend to a patient in the area this afternoon.

The troubled retired former midfielder has been locked in a life-and-death struggle with booze for years.

His latest rehab stint was in January when he checked into a £6,000-a-month clinic in Southampton.

This was at least his seventh attempt to get professional help to quit alcohol.

Our pictures come after Gazza reportedly signed to play for Abbey Windows FC in Bournemouth’s Sunday football league - for a fee of just £8.

Gazza, who now lives in Dorset, could be turning out in Bournemouth’s Sunday league for Abbey Windows FC.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/paul-gascoigne-hospital-faces-being-4086608
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: The Sad Deterioration of Paul Gascoigne
      Reply #1: Aug 22, 2014 12:40:42 am
      Good lord he looks appalling. What a truly tragic case.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #2: Aug 22, 2014 01:14:57 am
      There is no way that is Gazza. I don't believe it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #3: Aug 22, 2014 11:45:08 am
      There is no way that is Gazza. I don't believe it.

It is.

Unfortunately he's suffering from the effects of alcoholism.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #4: Aug 22, 2014 11:58:26 am
      Lost too many good friends with the demon drink, it's only a miracle Gaza is still with us. Surely to F**k something can be done.
      Having said that I know the lengths and lies alcos will go through to get a drink, heroin is a doddle in comparison.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #5: Aug 22, 2014 12:03:04 pm
      Lost too many good friends with the demon drink, it's only a miracle Gaza is still with us. Surely to F**k something can be done.
      Having said that I know the lengths and lies alcos will go through to get a drink, heroin is a doddle in comparison.

Having worked in the on and off license trade, very little you can do.  Stopped serving some, it doesn't halt them and of the 12 I recall from my last stint in the business, onl 2 are still alive.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6: Aug 22, 2014 12:20:35 pm
      what a waste of a life. Poor fella should be basking in his memories not drinking himself to death. Its very sad isn't it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #7: Aug 22, 2014 12:27:24 pm
      It really is a miracle he's still alive, I think he is way past the point of no return as he most probably has nothing to cling to, no reason to stay sober. It's extremely sad though.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #8: Aug 22, 2014 12:57:27 pm
      Having worked in the on and off license trade, very little you can do.  Stopped serving some, it doesn't halt them and of the 12 I recall from my last stint in the business, onl 2 are still alive.

Unlike heroin the booze is a freely accessible and accepted addiction.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #9: Aug 22, 2014 02:28:26 pm
      So sad where are his mates when he needs them most.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #10: Aug 22, 2014 06:48:39 pm
      It's not nice to say but if he carries on the way he is going with the drink he will end up killing himself within the next couple of years and it would be of no surprise.

Hopefully he is able to sort himself out because he isn't looking in a good state at all.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #11: Aug 22, 2014 08:09:03 pm
      there are some people you simply can't help its very sad but its the truth.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #12: Aug 23, 2014 09:55:14 pm
      I was shocked and saddened to see this pic of Gazza yesterday, in fact I had absolutely no idea who it was, looks a shadow of his former self, terribly sad to see him in such a state.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,473 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #13: Aug 24, 2014 11:15:11 am
      So sad where are his mates when he needs them most.

He's had plenty of help from friends and ex players. Stevie G, Rooney and a load of others all chucked in to get him into rehabilitation in America not even a couple of years back I think.

Hard to help somebody who doesn't want to help himself as much.

It may sound harsh but I've absolutely no doubt that this will end in tears and it will happen sooner rather than later.

Tragic.

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,188 posts | 912 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #14: Aug 24, 2014 07:15:47 pm
      No matter what help you give Gazza it won't be enough, another George Best!, hope he changes his ways but.....
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,905 posts | 4969 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #15: Aug 24, 2014 09:54:44 pm
      This is indeed a tragedy, Gazza has had plenty of help from ex players, family, professional people and even total strangers, unfortunately for Paul he simply can't help himself,

This disease of alcoholism is killing him, it is only a matter of time sadly, he has been thru rehab so many times before and nothing seems to completely banish those drink demons,

I feel so so sorry for him, he is a true legend of the game and it is an absolute tragedy to see him in his present state,
      I'd like to think he will see  sense and tries again to escape this killer of a disease,

good luck Gazza, come back to normal mate, Britain needs ya.!

YNWA
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #16: Aug 27, 2014 12:00:32 am
      Shocking to think not twenty years ago he was scoring what was one of the best goals I have ever seen against Scotland in the Euros. Tragic and terrible to see, sadly I can only see one outcome to this.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #17: Aug 27, 2014 09:04:56 am
      George Best all over again.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #18: Sep 24, 2014 12:34:53 pm

Exactly mate.  You need to help yourself first and he doesn't seem to have the strength to do it.

The sad fact is, if he would have moved to United all them years ago, Whiskey Chops (poor choice of words I know) would never have stood for it and he would - without any doubt - have been one of the worlds greatest.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #19: Sep 24, 2014 02:24:22 pm
      Exactly mate.  You need to help yourself first and he doesn't seem to have the strength to do it.

The sad fact is, if he would have moved to United all them years ago, Whiskey Chops (poor choice of words I know) would never have stood for it and he would - without any doubt - have been one of the worlds greatest.

Actually the move should have been to us and play under Kenny.

He wanted the bright lights of London!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #20: Sep 24, 2014 03:23:25 pm
      Can't believe he keeps getting photographed in pubs on the bevvy. Those landlords serving him should be shot.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #21: Sep 24, 2014 03:51:32 pm
      Can't believe he keeps getting photographed in pubs on the bevvy. Those landlords serving him should be shot.

You know yourself Mick if he didn't get it in the alehouse there's plenty more options.
      Lost too many good friends with the drug that is more addictive than heroin, if the alco doesn't want to stop there's F**k all anyone can do.
      Gascoigne is a celebrity of sorts which just exacerbates his addiction.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,473 posts | 4821 
      Reply #22: Sep 24, 2014 07:37:21 pm

Could do with an hour or two in your's Mick. He'd be on the f**king tap water within an hour with those prices ;)
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #23: Oct 07, 2014 09:51:54 am
      Swapping alcohol for weed was the best thing I ever did.

I used to drink excessively and didn't think it was harming me. It wasn't until I stopped that I realised just how bad the stuff can be and how it can turn the most loving of people into ghosts of their former self. I only drink on special occasions now and even then it's only because it's deemed socially acceptable where as weed isn't.

I'm not against anyone enjoying a pint or two but selling litre bottles of Vodka to people who are obviously struggling with addiction is immoral.

I hope for the best regarding Gazza but I've seen this story played out before and unless he decides to make a change himself then i'm afraid he'll just become another statistic.

Good luck Gazza
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #24: Oct 09, 2014 10:17:10 am
      Swapping alcohol for weed was the best thing I ever did.

I used to drink excessively and didn't think it was harming me. It wasn't until I stopped that I realised just how bad the stuff can be and how it can turn the most loving of people into ghosts of their former self. I only drink on special occasions now and even then it's only because it's deemed socially acceptable where as weed isn't.

I'm not against anyone enjoying a pint or two but selling litre bottles of Vodka to people who are obviously struggling with addiction is immoral.

I hope for the best regarding Gazza but I've seen this story played out before and unless he decides to make a change himself then i'm afraid he'll just become another statistic.

Good luck Gazza

I think the weed is just as bad mate, not having a go as i have indulged  myself but seeing some of my friends from years ago who are still on it is a shock on times paranoia being the biggest thing, fck some of them dont even go out anymore just stay in on the weed ,i just think the effects of the weed take a lot longer to surface but are just as damaging mentally though.instead of physical.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #25: Oct 09, 2014 12:12:02 pm
      I think the weed is just as bad mate, not having a go as i have indulged  myself but seeing some of my friends from years ago who are still on it is a shock on times paranoia being the biggest thing, fck some of them dont even go out anymore just stay in on the weed ,i just think the effects of the weed take a lot longer to surface but are just as damaging mentally though.instead of physical.

Agree with that Andy, same here.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #26: Oct 09, 2014 12:45:28 pm
      Agree with that Andy, same here.

Hows you mate .
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #27: Oct 09, 2014 03:58:14 pm

I'm fine thank's Andy, things are a bit up and down at the moment but fine! How's your good self and the family?
      LFCexiled
      Reply #28: Oct 09, 2014 04:01:00 pm
      I'm fine thank's Andy, things are a bit up and down at the moment but fine! How's your good self and the family?

Couldn't detect sarcasm there gaz, I think he wanted you to expand on your comment mate. I may be wrong like.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #29: Oct 09, 2014 04:04:26 pm
      Couldn't detect sarcasm there gaz, I think he wanted you to expand on your comment mate. I may be wrong like.

Trust you  :laughing-smiley-014:
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #30: Oct 09, 2014 06:45:03 pm

Things ok mate will call over one day when im up that neck of the woods.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #31: Oct 09, 2014 11:26:18 pm

You make a valid point that for some people weed is bad.

An old friend used to get very paranoid after the smallest amount. He once slept in a field because he was terrified of something happening if he went home. For me personally, i don't get paranoid and if i did i'd stop. I'm just the dopey bloke looking at the wildlife by day and the stars by night ;D.

LFCexiled
      Reply #32: May 21, 2015 10:56:00 am
      I think the sad deterioration of Gazza may well come to an end now he's just won £188,000 from The Mirror phone hacking sh*t, I can't see him making it through spending all of it.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,473 posts | 4821 
      Reply #33: Oct 15, 2016 09:06:25 pm
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #34: Oct 16, 2016 08:35:40 pm

Quick Reply