Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Mario Balotelli (Liverpool -> Nice)

Read 219634 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Mario Balotelli Player Thread
      Reply #184: Sep 17, 2014 12:06:06 pm
      Yep.

For a person to recover from a bug/illness on Friday, play 60 minutes Saturday and play 90 (and score) on Tuesday takes a massive physical effort.

He's going to be boss.
      F**k it he's already boss.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #185: Sep 17, 2014 05:24:36 pm
      He's deceptively quick I think. Looks like he's jogging but he's covering so much ground. Still needs to work on the runs he chooses to make as well as overall attacking positioning but I'm very impressed and excited for the future with him
      Opravdu
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 80 posts |
      Reply #186: Sep 17, 2014 06:03:41 pm
      Balotelli will score us goals..furthermore, goals that matters! (all matters, understood, but a winning goal vs man u instead of poaching the 4th vs palace) that is why I'm very pleased to have him.

and all this rubbish about this media frenzy about his behavior is utterly rubbish, we coped with Suarez we can cope with anyone!

It s been w while we had a big technical guy in front as an option...Crouchy dosent qualify as big in my book, so been  a while.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #187: Sep 17, 2014 08:00:08 pm
      @JBcommentator 
      Mario Balotelli has made a sizeable donation to Manchester Dogs Home. What a wonderful gesture.

Was his goal celebration last night one of his most animated?

JayC1560
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts |
      Reply #188: Sep 17, 2014 09:26:50 pm
      @JBcommentator 
      Mario Balotelli has made a sizeable donation to Manchester Dogs Home. What a wonderful gesture.

Thought that too, but don't forget he's a changed man! I can't imagine anybody not celebrating after scoring a vital debut goal in front of the Kop on a European night.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #189: Sep 17, 2014 10:10:23 pm
      @JBcommentator 

He's done better for Milan and Italy but it was nice to see a bit of passion.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #190: Sep 17, 2014 10:13:42 pm
      I was thinking Mario was a "stand in the box and wait" kind of player,  but he did a lot of tracking back too.
      He's going to do just fine at Anfield!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #191: Sep 18, 2014 01:43:19 am
      People need to understand that Mario had a poor preseason with Milan prior to coming to us. He's preperation was disjointed he had an extended break post WC and fuked around in the States with Milan.

I think he will only get better and better.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #192: Sep 18, 2014 02:18:53 am
      well it was definitely a game that showed Mario is putting his head down and putting a shift in for the red shirt! Mario freaking Balotelli! 90 minutes of European football, no doubt the first time he's ever been trusted to be the main man for an important game, and he puts the work in and gets his goal, which as mentioned he seemed pumped about which shows he is as committed as he looks!! he'll lead us into the west ham game with confidence, and a happy striker is usually a good striker.

watching him run after the ball to apply defensive pressure and not stop was good and rather funny, in one or two instances he probably ran too far and got to the point where you have to win the challenge or sprint very quickly otherwise we were all out of position, fortunately we got out of them. you can tell he is raw in the defensive side of the game that's for sure, but he will quickly grow into it because he is applying himself.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #193: Sep 18, 2014 04:49:05 pm
      @JBcommentator 

five figure one apparently.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #194: Sep 18, 2014 06:00:38 pm

looks like it

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-fcs-mario-balotelli-believed-7789685

if it is indeed true, forget all the stupid stuff he does sometimes but internally this lad has a good heart.  Liking him more and more
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #195: Sep 18, 2014 06:51:42 pm
      Mario is little crazy but has a big heart. He posted this on his official facebook

bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #196: Sep 18, 2014 09:57:35 pm
      Still not seen the best of him, but even so got us a really important goal the other night.
      When we get someone playing up with him, will hopefully see more.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #197: Sep 18, 2014 10:09:03 pm
      I think it will be interesting to see how far, Mario can be pushed, by bringing the best out of him. Although I think Brendan seems to be ideal in this situation as his manager.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,081 posts | 805 
      Reply #198: Sep 18, 2014 10:17:30 pm
      should be played with another striker, he isn't so good on his own
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #199: Sep 19, 2014 03:42:13 am

I've only got to really watch him with us and I'm already beginning to share this view. I also share this view about Sturridge.

1+1 = 2
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #200: Sep 19, 2014 06:20:36 am
      I've only got to really watch him with us and I'm already beginning to share this view. I also share this view about Sturridge.

1+1 = 2

I agree mate.

When a midfield scores as few goals as ours does, I think we need to do everything we can to get our strikers scoring. We always look a better balanced team with two strikers .... even if one of them is Borini.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #201: Sep 19, 2014 09:04:06 am
      "Help me Raheem, my head is stuck" (Stolen of FB)

:D

Mario arrives at Melwood.

nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #202: Sep 19, 2014 09:38:25 am
      Bit of movement tomorrow Mario please.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #203: Sep 19, 2014 09:55:14 am

EPIC car game, Mario.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #204: Sep 19, 2014 03:17:09 pm

Not that it matters to him given he could easily afford the car in the first place but I can't help but think what the insurance must be on that beast!
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #205: Sep 19, 2014 07:53:41 pm

I think for the way we play and are used to playing you are right there mate. We have been all about perpetual movement and fluency since Brendan came in so we lose quite a bit of that when either Balo or Lambert come in to the side. It doesn't mean we can't be a fluent and attacking side because you only have to look at the way Saints played with Lambert in the side last season. But in the meantime I think that a midfield diamond and a partner for Balotelli is the best way to go.

I must admit I do have a few reservations based on the first few games with mad Mario in the side.

- On the plus side he has shown a few moments of pure class, a touch or a flick or a pass, and the finish the other night. Can he shows these regularly? That appears to be the big challenge.

- his presence seemed to invigorate Studge and freed up that little bit of room for Danny to get at Spurs the other week. There was a little spark of a partnership there.

- I have enjoyed watching his appetite to run and work hard for the team BUT I'm not. Getting carried away, he has been putting in the running I would expect from any modern day premier league striker, still a million miles away from the non stop effort levels of Luis. But if he does keep working hard, and scores a few goals the Kop will love him for it.

- My reservations are that I don't think he really scares defenders when he isn't in the box,he isn't going to run at players and take it on all that often so when he drops off to receive the ball our middies and wide players have got to fill that space quickly otherwise our goal threat will Peter out. So for Balo to be successful we probably need him to be in and around the box BUT the very reason we have been so effective is because we played with two strikers who popped up all over the place, centre halves didn't know what was happening half the time last season. I've also not been happy with the number of crosses we are now playing with just Mario in the side, it's not our game and neither should it be. It's a question of risk or retail possession for me and every time you cross the ball you are risking possession. Particularly if it is against a defence that has dropped off, is well set and in position to deal with them. As much as I admired Balo's goal on Tuesday night it isn't the way forward for me ie. 15-20 crosses eventually paying dividends with the one goal.

Don't get me wrong I still like the signing but a few little alarm bells have gone off for me and I think we would be in trouble if Studge was to miss a prolonged spell this season.
      LFC Dynamo
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #206: Sep 19, 2014 08:12:31 pm
      Has the talent to succeed, needs to use his temper to his advantage.

Quick Reply