Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Mario Balotelli (Liverpool -> Nice)

Read 219588 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Mario Balotelli Player Thread
      Reply #966: Jan 29, 2015 04:42:27 pm
      My ma always told me that no matter how thin, there are always two sides to a pancake.

We see the negatives of Balotelli and sometimes forget that he has a life outside of football and he deals with real crap just like the rest of us and those things affect him. Just like Luis going to Spain most likely done for the benefit of his family as much as for him.

Doesn't admonish him from working harder in training and applying himself the way Brendan wants him to, don't get me wrong...he still needs to make MAJOR strides to be considered viable for us.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #967: Jan 29, 2015 05:57:42 pm
      I'm torn...

You know what it's controversial but I'll say it anyway. I think this lad is actually trying hard. I don't the 'lazy' argument is as strong as it once was, however I can fully understand those who still use it. That means that we have to judge him more on his talent alone and I have to say I've not been impressed. His positioning is terrible, although improving it's not helped by the careless runs he makes, and even more careless giving away of possession with a silly flick, trying to take on too many men or a 1/100 shot.

Throughout his entire career he's relied on flashes of genius, we've seen glimmers of hope at best. But Christ... When you look at what he CAN do. I think it really is a matter of time before he scores a screamer... But it's how often he can do that after. I don't think he's ever going to be a big numbers goalscorer, more of a Luis Garcia who scored the odd wondergoal every few weeks. Do I think that he CAN do that... yea I think so, but will he get the chance to is a much more interesting question.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #968: Jan 29, 2015 06:00:20 pm
      We see the negatives of Balotelli and sometimes forget that he has a life outside of football and he deals with real crap just like the rest of us and those things affect him. Just like Luis going to Spain most likely done for the benefit of his family as much as for him.

True, but when we go to work we aren't expected to take our problems with us.

The Togo team bus got shot at a few years ago but it didn't stop the players from putting in even the slightest bit of effort.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #969: Jan 29, 2015 07:12:57 pm
      True, but when we go to work we aren't expected to take our problems with us.

The Togo team bus got shot at a few years ago but it didn't stop the players from putting in even the slightest bit of effort.

I think he does put in effort, but to be fair, we are trying to put a square peg in a round hole. It's easy to say "well he just needs to work harder" but I think we could all come up with examples of people that work really hard but are still useless.

As was said in the post above yours, I think he is just not the right player to be relied on. I still think he'll play better when he's paired up with someone that is (Sturridge).

At least I hope so anyway.

And I have to disagree on the part about bringing your baggage to work. It's pretty unfair to say that someone's personal life shouldn't affect their worklife. Especially when you start including family relationships.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #970: Jan 29, 2015 10:33:14 pm

"Mario Balotelli will leave Liverpool for €60-70m or ‘die there’, says agent"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I think he meant Lira.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #971: Jan 29, 2015 11:31:40 pm

His agent, and I'm sure most players see us as a stepping stone to a bigger club, we need to stop this sh*t and get back to where we belong.
      jtrollip
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 192 posts |
      Reply #972: Jan 30, 2015 12:20:49 am
      He's young enough to develop a lot of the things he's missing. Positional play, pressing, general awareness that can come. I'm a bit up and down on him. But would give him another year before a solid opinion can be formed
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #973: Jan 30, 2015 12:41:39 am

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I think he meant Lira.

:lmao: :lmao:

Pesos perhaps?  :D
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #974: Jan 30, 2015 06:18:37 am

;D

I reckon come summer Aussie, we'll be that desperate to get rid of him that we would gladly accept brass washers. It was a last ditch desperate gamble that hasn't obviously worked out.

I, along with quite a few others on here, although dubious, was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. In hindsight I think it was more down to the fact that deadline day was fast approaching and we were just glad to have gotten a recognised striker to sign for us.
      KING ROBBIE 9
      • Forum David Johnson

• 243 posts |
      Reply #975: Jan 30, 2015 08:16:01 am
      “You only leave Liverpool (valued) at 60-70 million (euros - £45m), and I win my bet, or you will die there"

I'm not sure i like the "and i win my bet" from ballo's agent!!! Or am i looking into it too much?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #976: Jan 31, 2015 10:58:54 am
      Said this last time but then Danny got injured again. His best hope to cut it here is if he can get on the pith alongside Sturridge. He has been shooting from 20 30 40 yards all season because he's not been getting chances in the box, but with Sturridge ability to go past defenders he might get a few tap ins and rebounds come his way.

Having said that there is no chance imo they will start games together, more likely only if we need a goal with 20 minutes of games to go. Problem for Mario is that on current form Brendan could justifiably turn to Rickie or Fabio if he has to roll the dice.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #977: Jan 31, 2015 08:05:54 pm
      Said this last time but then Danny got injured again. His best hope to cut it here is if he can get on the pith alongside Sturridge. He has been shooting from 20 30 40 yards all season because he's not been getting chances in the box, but with Sturridge ability to go past defenders he might get a few tap ins and rebounds come his way.

Having said that there is no chance imo they will start games together, more likely only if we need a goal with 20 minutes of games to go. Problem for Mario is that on current form Brendan could justifiably turn to Rickie or Fabio if he has to roll the dice.

They will start together. Just wait and see.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #978: Feb 01, 2015 09:38:16 am
      They will start together. Just wait and see.

And that would be a huge mistake - especially in the league. As you saw yesterday, Brendan's system for winning relies heavily on his players running into and creating spaces behind the oppositions defence. They run their arses off for one another to do so and it's a style of play that Balo will never adapt to.

They may get the opportunity to be paired in the Europa where his European experience might actually count for something. But personally, I think Rodgers would be a fool to risk starting them together in the EPL. His remaining time here will be consigned to the bench...me thinks. 
      RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #979: Feb 01, 2015 09:46:22 am
      I like Balotelli - think he is a talented player with a personality

He does try and think at times he just needs a bit of luck, the rumours around the place are that he loves life in Liverpool , he is left in peace and people are always pleasant to him when they see him.

I just don't think he can fit in with the way we play the game or trying to play the game. He could be used as a great impact sub to lump balls up to but is that enough for him ?

I really hope he does work out though - the crowd can see he is putting his heart into it.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #980: Feb 01, 2015 10:00:24 am
      Just say he's more traditional. In and around the box "waiting" to pounce/shoot. Doubt he understands what a "through ball" is.

I for a time thought we needed to deliver a "perfect pass" for him to get a touch.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #981: Feb 01, 2015 10:51:57 am
      I like Balotelli - think he is a talented player with a personality

He does try and think at times he just needs a bit of luck, the rumours around the place are that he loves life in Liverpool , he is left in peace and people are always pleasant to him when they see him.

I just don't think he can fit in with the way we play the game or trying to play the game. He could be used as a great impact sub to lump balls up to but is that enough for him ?

I really hope he does work out though - the crowd can see he is putting his heart into it.

Don't think you will get may agreeing with much of this.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #982: Feb 01, 2015 07:04:35 pm
      I'm torn...

You know what it's controversial but I'll say it anyway. I think this lad is actually trying hard. I don't the 'lazy' argument is as strong as it once was, however I can fully understand those who still use it. That means that we have to judge him more on his talent alone and I have to say I've not been impressed. His positioning is terrible, although improving it's not helped by the careless runs he makes, and even more careless giving away of possession with a silly flick, trying to take on too many men or a 1/100 shot.

Throughout his entire career he's relied on flashes of genius, we've seen glimmers of hope at best. But Christ... When you look at what he CAN do. I think it really is a matter of time before he scores a screamer... But it's how often he can do that after. I don't think he's ever going to be a big numbers goalscorer, more of a Luis Garcia who scored the odd wondergoal every few weeks. Do I think that he CAN do that... yea I think so, but will he get the chance to is a much more interesting question.

Same here mate, I think he has been running hard in most of the games he has played this season. He has simply been gash every time though. It's as simple as that. He makes poor decisions, he doesn't offer enough on the shoulder of defenders despite haveing the quickness to do it, he doesn't move the ball quickly enough, and he is petulant and gives away silly fouls. He has tried to do the pressing and defending but despite doing some running he looks like he would rather not be doing it. I am expecting him to be gone late on transfer deadline day if they can find someone to take him. I could see him at one of the Turkish clubs.

I remember we had an Italian fan on when we signed him and he said that fans are really happy twice when Mario comes, really happy when he signs and then really happy when he goes. Ain't that the truth!
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #983: Feb 01, 2015 08:59:14 pm
      i believe Mario will come good. Maybe not this season, but next season too. We just need a back up for Sturridge so if he gets injured we have an adequate replacement to partner him.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #984: Feb 01, 2015 09:04:37 pm
      i believe Mario will come good. Maybe not this season, but next season too. We just need a back up for Sturridge so if he gets injured we have an adequate replacement to partner him.

He will be gone in the summer if not In This window fella. I'll bet you that sloppy marking at the corner for Ivanovic's goal on Tuesday was pretty much the last straw for Brendan
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #985: Feb 01, 2015 11:46:36 pm

You're right we do need back up for Sturridge but Balotelli has proven he isn't a suitable back up. How many goals has he scored/created in Sturridge's absence again?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #986: Feb 02, 2015 08:56:08 am
      Danny did more with his first touch of the ball on Saturday than lazy arse Mario done all season.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #987: Feb 02, 2015 09:42:03 am
       i think Its a pity for such a talented player with the ball , being so problematic with his attitude,laziness etc

He has been  at 4  important clubs in 5/6 years , , he is fortunate to have so many chances and I think he will end up at another pretty soon, his price has been coming down  with every opportunity he  gets , I  don't think he will ever  change, not even being  dropped from the italian national squad, has changed him much
      pity

YNWA
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #988: Feb 02, 2015 09:42:39 am
      You're right we do need back up for Sturridge but Balotelli has proven he isn't a suitable back up. How many goals has he scored/created in Sturridge's absence again?

Yep, I was excited when he arrived, but now, well I am far from that.

Quick Reply