Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

The "positives from the last match" thread

Read 16065 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      The "positives from the last match" thread
      Aug 26, 2014 01:09:14 pm
      As per usual when things dont go our way everyone logs on to have a pop. "hes sh*te" "why did we buy him" "why did we sell him" "were crap" etc. I dont mind reading a sesnsible post stating where people think it went wrong in a game or what they think might have changed things. But quite frankly some of the over reaction stuff on here every time we dont win is getting boring.

So Im starting this thread where we can take positive aspects out of every match we play this season. Yes even when we lsoe there can be positives from the performance! If we lose and generally there was nothing good to talk about then stay out of this topic..simple!

So positives from a 3-1 loss? Who wants to go first?

N.B: Glen Johnsons injury does not count!!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: The "positives from the last match" thread
      Reply #1: Aug 26, 2014 01:14:20 pm
      We scored one :)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      Reply #2: Aug 26, 2014 01:15:02 pm

Thats the spirit :)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3: Aug 26, 2014 01:15:19 pm
      For 40 minutes we play a great pressing game.
      Had them with 9 men behind the ball.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #4: Aug 26, 2014 01:15:19 pm
      I agree, too many people over react to this, an away loss against last years champions.

Positive: Allen was impressive first half!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #5: Aug 26, 2014 01:15:27 pm
      - 1st 40 minutes we contained city with ease.
      - Lovren was solid in the air, a real leader.
      - Markovic and Moreno's raw pace down the left side was immense in the short time we saw them together, great things to come.
      - Allen looked great and found great pockets of space.

Team needs time to gel but with Brendan at the helm of things we will gel in enough time to mount a strong tittle challenge.

Onto the next one.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #6: Aug 26, 2014 01:15:34 pm
      in all seriousness imo its all positive bar the result. I really liked the look of Moreno, Lovren seems to be a great addition to the defence. Sterling keeps getting better and better, Markovic looked very exciting.

The only slight worries are Stevie who has not been good so far, Coutinio who is a bit off the pace and of course the walking calamity that is Johnson. Now of these I expect Johnson to be warming the bench more and more goign forwards, Can to start taking over from Stevie, slowly but surely, and Coutinio to show us just why we all love him.

In summary it's looking very good and we still haven't even seen Lallana or super Mario.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      Reply #7: Aug 26, 2014 01:19:39 pm
      Yes the first 40 we looked liek the home team. Dont think anyone picked up on the last 15. Lambert could have had a second if he had have been more selfish and that would have stirred it right up.

Moreno was caughtfor the goal but overall looked good. What impressed me most was for his size he is fearless he buried Dzecko with a shoulder in the second half and there was a huge difference in size. Looks like a battler with speed and ability

Markovic I knew would impress those only seeing him now for the first time. He will become a lot of peoples favourite player very quickly
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #8: Aug 26, 2014 01:25:21 pm
      Markovic looked dangerous when he came on.

We defended set pieces a lot better.

Lambert caused problems for the second game running and showed he has a role to play this season.

We've got Balotelli and Lallana still to come in.

Only Chelsea had a good record against the top four away from home last year, losing at the champions is no disaster.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #9: Aug 26, 2014 01:49:50 pm
      I didn't get to see the game to witness how 'sh*te' we were. ;)
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #10: Aug 26, 2014 02:04:33 pm
      Even if we also lose against spurs, providing we beat Villa we ll still be 2 points better off than the equivalents last year.

Plus, we now have the fullbacks to play 352 if we need to in the Spanish M&Ms providing Moreno's injury isn't too bad

Plus Lambert is a very good plan B
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #11: Aug 26, 2014 02:07:29 pm
      I didn't get to see the game to witness how 'sh*te' we were. ;)

If you had seen the game you still wouldn't have witnessed how sh*te we were Si because we were anything but sh*te.

Positives for me, all the new signings looked good.  We could have scored a few.  We're going to be great in all competitions.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #12: Aug 26, 2014 02:09:07 pm
      If you had seen the game you still wouldn't have witnessed how sh*te we were Si because we were anything but sh*te.

Positives for me, all the new signings looked good.  We could have scored a few.  We're going to be great in all competitions.

Pretty much debs.
      Thought we should have made more of the pressure during the opening 40 minutes.
      Definitely the better team early on.

I said it at the time, felt like the Chelsea game all over.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: Aug 26, 2014 02:13:37 pm
      Pretty much debs.
      Thought we should have made more of the pressure during the opening 40 minutes.
      Definitely the better team early on.

I said it at the time, felt like the Chelsea game all over.

Trying too hard is how I saw it mate.  We knew it was a big game that probably came too early for us but it's out the way now and I see only gravy from now on.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: Aug 26, 2014 02:15:31 pm
      Trying too hard is how I saw it mate.  We knew it was a big game that probably came too early for us but it's out the way now and I see only gravy from now on.

Definitely you could see Sturridge was trying to hard.
      No flow to his normal game. I could of sworn I saw him looking at Balotelli.
      Manquillo dropped. Compromise for against City. Thought it was harsh on the lad.

Team just needs to settle.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #15: Aug 26, 2014 02:15:31 pm

I know Debs. It's why I wrote 'sh*te'.

Typical overreaction from some I'd guess.
      viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #16: Aug 26, 2014 02:20:06 pm
      Felt like 2 goals difference was too much. We did a good match until the first goal and, after Markovic and Lambert got in, the team got better. So we have some positive aspects.

And I do hope that Manquillo will start and Balotelli(Lambert). No completely sold on Markovic being a starter yet. I'd give one more chance to Coutinho.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #17: Aug 26, 2014 02:27:06 pm
      Definitely you could see Sturridge was trying to hard.
      No flow to his normal game. I could of sworn I saw him looking at Balotelli.
      Manquillo dropped. Compromise for against City. Thought it was harsh on the lad.

Team just needs to settle.

Probably was harsh mate but not too surprising in hindsight.  To have changed 3 of the back 4 for a big game so early in the season Brendan would have been slaughtered on these boards with that result.

The joy of having a strong squad is that we have choices and the players have competition for their places, something that has been lacking for far too long.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #18: Aug 26, 2014 02:28:20 pm
      I know Debs. It's why I wrote 'sh*te'.

Typical overreaction from some I'd guess.

Absolutely mate.
      Wiggy
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 293 posts | 21 
      Reply #19: Aug 26, 2014 02:37:34 pm
      +'ves

We were the much better team for first 40, City took their opportunities well, other teams wont be as clinical IMO
      Lambert made another impact from the bench, offering us something different, which is exactly what he was bought for
      Markovic looked like he could be a real handful - him on sterling on both wings would have defences heads up their arses
      Moreno looked good, but for a couple - one costly - lapse in concentration
      Allen looked decent

-'ves

Mig out of position for the last goal - shouldve done a lot better
      Does Gerrard have the legs for sitting alone? - does seem to leave space
      Glen johnson
      Coutinho looked poor for the second game in a row - would prefer Markovic or Lallana if fit to play next game

EDIT - wasn't overly disheartened. We were away to last years champions and had the beating of them for a large portion of the game. Thought 3-1 flattered them a little bit and we could have easily pulled one back late in the game
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20: Aug 26, 2014 02:44:12 pm
      Balotelli didn't start a riot

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #21: Aug 26, 2014 03:10:12 pm
      - We more than matched the champions of England for 40 mins on their own patch

- In this time we looked very organised as a defensive/team unit (IMO).

- Even though he wasn't quick enough to hoof the ball out for their first, I thought Moreno looked very very promising.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,402 posts | 191 
      Reply #22: Aug 26, 2014 03:25:38 pm
      I was only abe to watch the first half, was at work,  and some bits of 2nd.

Thought we were playing a solid away game for first 40 mins. But just couldnt' make that final pass. Let's face facts, Luis could create goals from nothing , so it'll take some time for our attack to gel without him.

Lazar looked really promising, so thats a plus.

That was probably going to be our hardest game of the year, away at defending champions in their first home game. Remember all our rivals still have to go there, and City drop very few points at home. So that's out of the way now. Plus

Rickie looks effective of the bench.. Plus

Lallana hasnt played yet, he can only help going forward. I'd put him over Cout. especially on away matches for now.

Mario will free up Studge and vice versa, hope we see them both vs Spurs

It's only the 2nd game, and we're still ahead of the scum, even with their easy fixtures. I dont even bother looking at the table until at least the end of Sept.

Onwards and upwards , put this behind us and move on. Spurs away will be a big test, after we trounced them at WHL last year. So expect their 'A' game

Quick Reply