Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

The "positives from the last match" thread

Read 16100 times
      JayC1560
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts |
      Re: The "positives from the last match" thread
      Reply #138: Oct 23, 2014 11:55:29 am

I was utterly ashamed to be a Liverpool supporter yesterday.

Is there a vote-down option? Fans like you are the antithesis of what being a Liverpool fan is all about.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #139: Oct 23, 2014 12:40:32 pm
      I learnt that football management is full of pride, ego and politics.

Refusing to cut loss and hence admitting to the whole world you are wrong. Getting rid of players because of high wages rather than ability. The list goes on. Politics are always possible in First Team selection... buying players... running down players' contracts... etc.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #140: Oct 23, 2014 12:42:48 pm
      Continuing with the clutching of straws - thought Can looked a lot better than I've seen of him before.  Looks like he's over that injury now - we're going to need him to turn out to be decent.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #141: Oct 23, 2014 12:50:22 pm
      I thought Can and Couthino looked far better than of late particularly  Couthino .Couthino and Sterling and hopefully soon Sturridge are a very good attacking 3.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #142: Oct 23, 2014 01:06:56 pm
      Continuing with the clutching of straws - thought Can looked a lot better than I've seen of him before.  Looks like he's over that injury now - we're going to need him to turn out to be decent.

Yup. I would like to think we've got a good problem in midfield but am still not sure. It's probably the strongest area in our team right now, and I'm not sure whether that is a good or bad thing.

Would be tempted to give Can a good run of games. He is someone who could really end up being something special. Where do we play him and who do we drop though?

You've got to accept that Gerrard and Henderson are first names on the team sheets. Between Lucas, Can and Allen, I'd be tempted to go with Can.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #143: Oct 23, 2014 01:07:31 pm
      what walton said.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,229 posts | 2807 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #144: Oct 23, 2014 01:08:18 pm
      it was only 3
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #145: Oct 23, 2014 01:22:42 pm
      Coutinho was different class last night.
      Brilliant.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #146: Oct 23, 2014 01:50:28 pm
      We got walloped last night but conversely there were more positives in that game than the QPR game we won. Mistakes aside, we didn't actually play that badly, especially if you consider the point that we where playing arguably the best team in the world right now. We threatened their defence on more than one occasion with them resorting to pulling Sterling down or barging him off the ball every time he attacked and with no mistakes at the back and a little more quality up front I genuinely think we could have won that game - remember, we where missing Danny and he would have made a huge difference. We also controlled the game for the first twenty minutes and against the European champions who have access to a bottomless pit of money, that's no mean feat.

It's just the silly mistakes that keep letting us down and if we cut them out and get Danny back fit we'll play a lot better. There's no shame in loosing to this Real Madrid team, especially when you consider that most of the players and the coaching staff have no prior UCL experience, and we played a whole lot better than we did at any other point this season since Spurs so we use this as a platform because even a defeat can kickstart a season.

I agree with most of this.  We must remember that since the departure of Luis we were always going to be in trouble if Danny got injured (Thanks for that you arseh*le Roy).  I know Ballotelli has not been firing on all cylinders but against Spurs we saw how he and Danny could play together.

We have a lot of new faces new to the premier League so it is going to take time for them to gell and perform how Brendan wants them.

We built a team to compete in the Premiership and now we are rebuilding a team to compete in the Premiership and Europe.  We have to be patient.

Thought the effort was there last night so nothing to be ashamed of.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #147: Oct 23, 2014 01:55:18 pm
      I agree with most of this.  We must remember that since the departure of Luis we were always going to be in trouble if Danny got injured (Thanks for that you arseh*le Roy).  I know Ballotelli has not been firing on all cylinders but against Spurs we saw how he and Danny could play together.

We have a lot of new faces new to the premier League so it is going to take time for them to gell and perform how Brendan wants them.

We built a team to compete in the Premiership and now we are rebuilding a team to compete in the Premiership and Europe.  We have to be patient.

Thought the effort was there last night so nothing to be ashamed of.

the point of last night is Real stopped playing after half an hour the game was over and at any time they could have scored more goals if they wanted to and it could have been truly embarrassing.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #148: Oct 23, 2014 01:59:31 pm
      Madrid are the champions of Europe, thats is what we are aiming at, so the lesson must be learned.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #149: Oct 23, 2014 05:13:49 pm
      Well go support some Yankee American "Football" Club

I already do don't I!

And it ME who has the pride. Not you.
      Shankly would be going F***ing ballistic if he was told to "consolidate the brand" by some pr**k who literally doesn't watch a match from one season to the next.

You however,  it seems will tolerate any level of desecration and write Johnny a thankyou letter :roll:

• LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #150: Oct 23, 2014 05:48:38 pm
      It's over.
      Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #151: Oct 23, 2014 07:24:23 pm
      Real declared at half time. In the return game when bale will also be playing they will not be so willing to revert to neutral gear when they go 3 or 4 up.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #152: Oct 23, 2014 07:38:22 pm
      I already do don't I!

Shankly would be going F***ing ballistic if he was told to "consolidate the brand" by some pr**k who literally doesn't watch a match from one season to the next.

You however,  it seems will tolerate any level of desecration and write Johnny a thankyou letter :roll:

harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #153: Oct 23, 2014 08:29:45 pm
      Despite getting worked over, there were a few positives to take.

- Coutinho appears to be finding some form. He is so talented and when he is on his game he can really make us tick in attack.

- Lallana also is finding his feet. If him, Coutinho, and Sterling can strike up a good chemistry then we will be very dangerous in attack when Studge gets fit!!

- We played with great tempo and pressed very well for the first 20 minutes. Their first goal knocked the wind out of our sails and we never recovered, but we started well and looked good up until the first goal. Just need to take that level of energy, focus, and commitment and turn it into a full 90 minute performance.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #154: Oct 23, 2014 08:37:55 pm
      I already do don't I!

Shankly would be going f**king ballistic if he was told to "consolidate the brand" by some pr**k who literally doesn't watch a match from one season to the next.

Blah Blah Blah.

Ashamed to be a Red you said. 
      You just dont get it do you ?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #155: Oct 23, 2014 08:56:25 pm
      No one comes on this forum ...... ever  ...... and says they are ashamed to be a Liverpool supporter.

Seems they do mate. And get away with it.

The comment in question is as bad I've ever read on any forum.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #156: Oct 23, 2014 09:02:16 pm
      I think we are very good at putting the lase game behind us and I always think we will win the next one and I still believe we can win in Madrid ...but that could be a medication problem .
      Seriously you have to believe we can win every game this is LFC for gods sake.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #157: Oct 23, 2014 09:39:10 pm
      Positives from the last match - it's over :)
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #158: Oct 24, 2014 03:17:14 pm
      l think  steven need call time on his great liverpool career, he too slow manger wont buy top cm till he fhish, only positives are we cant get any worse or can we
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #159: Oct 24, 2014 04:38:19 pm
      l think  steven need call time on his great liverpool career, he too slow manger wont buy top cm till he fhish, only positives are we cant get any worse or can we

:roll:
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #160: Oct 24, 2014 07:46:52 pm
      Emre Can. Had a good cameo and now that he's fit, I'm hoping to see more of him. If he performs he might even put Stevie out of contention.

Quick Reply