Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

The "positives from the last match" thread

Read 16088 times
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Re: The "positives from the last match" thread
      Reply #23: Aug 26, 2014 03:33:09 pm
      Plenty of positives despite the result. Thought we were the better team for about 35 minutes, it's just we couldn't convert the chances we created. They didn't outplay us and the only reason they were 3-0 up was because they were extremely clinical. I thought Moreno looked dangerous going forward and defensively was ok, barring the lack of awareness in letting Jovetic in for the first goal. He'll learn from that though and he looks a good attacking full back - just what was needed. Didn't think Henderson had his best game but I actually thought Gerrard was decent, and Allen had a fairly good game too, especially in the first half. Unfortunately Coutinho had another poor performance, could be one to drop out for the trip to Spurs. No doubt he'll come back to form though. Sturridge, other than a couple of decent half chances, didn't do brilliantly, but did set up our goal.  The less said about Johnson the better. I'll never give unnecessary hate to any Red but he's a liability at the back and offers nothing going forward. Defensively we were fantastic for 35 minutes, and then once we'd conceded suddenly it looked a lot more like strangers at the back. Once we are more settled I hope we can improve on defensive record.

One of the toughest fixtures of the season out of the way, and we'll learn from it and move on.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #24: Aug 26, 2014 04:33:01 pm
      1st half I thought we played well. Managed to control the play, back line played ok for the first match playing together.

2nd half City broke us down playing 3 strikers. Im not concerned.  Going down too 10 men was a freak occurrence.  We have a lot of new players learning the system and I am not going freak out with some knee jerk reaction.  Were ok. Balotelli is going to score 18-22 goals, Sturridge will score, Sterling, lambert...Lovren and Moreno and Manquillo will gel....were ok.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #25: Aug 26, 2014 05:02:54 pm
      Moreno managed to walk off a horrible looking injury.
      Whoever decided to put astroturf on the side of the pitch (where everyones wearing studs), is a complete numpty.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #26: Aug 26, 2014 05:31:56 pm
      proved a big target man can be a very useful outlet especially in tough away games.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #27: Aug 26, 2014 05:52:03 pm
      We played far far better than we did against Southampton, 200% improvement. We haven't really lost ground on anyone as nobody will go there and win this season (IMHO).
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #28: Aug 26, 2014 06:09:04 pm
      We played far far better than we did against Southampton, 200% improvement. We haven't really lost ground on anyone as nobody will go there and win this season (IMHO).

I'd much rather play like we did against Soton and win than play well for 40 mins then lose.Its not the loss that bothers me its they way we lost our open play was as good as theirs but we fu**ed up 3 times.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #29: Aug 26, 2014 06:33:56 pm
      I'd much rather play like we did against Soton and win than play well for 40 mins then lose. Its not the loss that bothers me its they way we lost our open play was as good as theirs but we fu**ed up 3 times.

So would I obviously. However, you'd think we played absolutely sh!te the way some people posted, we didn't.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #30: Aug 26, 2014 07:03:37 pm
      So would I obviously. However, you'd think we played absolutely sh!te the way some people posted, we didn't.

there were some weird :mad: posts last night the anger towards Johnson who was not responsible for any of the goals was out of order totally.
      Our general play was good but we made bad mistakes and got punished for it.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #31: Aug 26, 2014 07:26:36 pm
      I dont want to use the phrase "team in transition" or "need time to gel"

we have got some very good players, its nice too look at the bench and think, "yeah he could definately come on and do some damage"

people losing their nuts over losing 3-1 at the etihad early in the season must be constant nervous wrecks!

markovic looks like he could open up lesser defences single handedly add that to what we already know about coutinho sterling and sturridge plus Balo and Lallana to come in.

Yes we didnt get a great result but we played half decent, had some flashed from some players and showed that we can start to come back at teams

last season we had to score early because if we werent doing well towards the end we had no fresh impact players to bring on

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #32: Aug 27, 2014 09:12:16 am
      The 3 subs all played well when they came on. I particularly like the look of  Markovic  and Can. It will be difficult for Brendan not to include them in the starting 11.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,608 posts | 2159 
      Reply #33: Aug 30, 2014 02:49:10 pm
      Biggest positive form the last game for new as seeing the attitude and effort levels of our p,ayers when we went 3-0 down. No arguments, no heads dropped, in fact I thought they worked even harder. Only a small thing but very important all the same. That sort of spirit and determination will stand us in good stead for the rest of the season.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,172 posts | 2788 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #34: Aug 30, 2014 03:07:17 pm
      Biggest positive form the last game for new as seeing the attitude and effort levels of our p,ayers when we went 3-0 down. No arguments, no heads dropped, in fact I thought they worked even harder. Only a small thing but very important all the same. That sort of spirit and determination will stand us in good stead for the rest of the season.

Good shout that Scott
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #35: Aug 30, 2014 03:43:55 pm
      I think the last match came to soon for a side that was not at full strength and is going to take a bit to gel together (by this I mean gelling into the best side in England). I think we could challenge for the title this year but will probably be just off Chelsea and Man City as we'll start slow.

Next year as long as hold on to Sterling we'll be looking to win the league.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #36: Aug 30, 2014 09:38:28 pm
      Overall unwashedmasses, I agree with you.
      This season is all about transition.
      Improve the squad, develop a long term squad with the same playing philosophy and become increasing solid and the back with increased variety and cutting edge up front.
      The city game came too soon and isn't at all an indicator of where we are going but more where we are currently at
      The future looks impressive to me.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,172 posts | 2788 
      Reply #37: Aug 31, 2014 05:24:57 pm
      Moreno

Lovern

Clean sheet

3 points playing, in my opinion, well below our capabilities   
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,172 posts | 2788 
      Reply #38: Aug 31, 2014 05:26:26 pm
      Oh and the travelling kop giving a cracking rendition of poor scouser Tommy and singing 5 times again  ;D
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,905 posts | 818 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #39: Aug 31, 2014 05:32:17 pm
      Moreno showing he has balls of steel.

Balotelli can work hard.

Sterling can finish.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #40: Sep 01, 2014 12:56:58 am

1 out of 3, but it was enough.  :)
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,905 posts | 818 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #41: Sep 01, 2014 11:27:39 am

Maybe scored the hardest one, the angle was TIGHT.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #42: Sep 01, 2014 11:33:17 am
      Allen can play well when not required to create chances. Playing with the extra forward reduced the demands on Allen and allowed him to play his natural game.... he even "won" us a penalty.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #43: Sep 01, 2014 01:01:37 pm
      Clean sheet has to be a big positive for us. In fact, the way the team played, Tottenham only ever had a sniff from our own awkward/errors and moments in defense.

Sterling in fine form, still going from strength to strength just like Henderson.

Sturridge had a partner to play off in Balotelli.

Moreno looks F***ing quality.

Chan brushed Dembele aside like Dembele was Allen. Good to see a beast in the squad, had a good run with the ball too, shrugging off Spurs' own monster in Dembele, again.

Squad depth looks great, Markovic came on, Enrique came on, and Chan came on and the quality of the side remained, if not improved.

Brendan Rodgers is our manager.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #44: Sep 01, 2014 01:19:13 pm
      Despite not being match fit, and as a result being a bit F***ing rusty, Balotelli looks like he's going to be boss.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #45: Sep 01, 2014 07:14:58 pm
      CLEAN SHEET!!!
      :clap: :clap: :oranje: :oranje: :celebrate: :celebrate:

Hopefully we will go on a run of them now (along with the 3 points of course)

Quick Reply