Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Best Time To Retire From A Forum.

Read 5812 times
      LFCexiled
      Re: Best Time To Retire From A Forum.
      Reply #23: Aug 29, 2014 10:23:54 am
      Shame that Bilbo but I get why you feel that way as I've been there myself a couple of times over the last 5 years. Take it easy mate and I look forward to seeing you back when you've had an obviously much needed breather.

YNWA
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #24: Aug 29, 2014 10:38:35 am
      Take a break Billy until the CL footie starts .
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #25: Aug 29, 2014 06:37:11 pm
      I have been thinking of hanging my boots up for a while now but I am pretty close to some significant numbers for myself.
      On December the 9th I will have been a member of LFCREDS for 7 years,
      I have got just over 98 days logged in.=Target is 100 days.
      I have got 7650 posts=Target is 8000 posts.
      I have got 377 pluses=Target 400.
      Dilemma, do I wait for all the targets to be achieved or just sit back and watch the Mighty REDS go from strength to strength. :kop5cf8koxp6:

Billy the choice is you'rs, but I think you should just carry on posting and stick with the best LFC forum around, you will be be missed if you leave.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #26: Aug 29, 2014 06:55:36 pm
      We need older supporters like you here to give a balanced view point Billy,  posters like you bring something important to the forum, a life time of memories. It'll be sad to lose that when you hang up the keyboard mate.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #27: Aug 29, 2014 07:32:57 pm
      You'd soon be back, we are like Luis Suarez and you just can't get enough ;)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #28: Aug 29, 2014 07:35:05 pm
      Don't set yourself targets of plusses or posts as a goal to pack it in Billy, you'll know yourself when your ready to hang up your keyboard.

As many have said, you're a credit to the forum, knowledge is something you can only pass down to others, others who are not so fortunate to have witnessed first hand what you have.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #29: Aug 29, 2014 08:41:27 pm
      Best of luck Billy. It's nice to have a break, but you may find yourself keeping one eye on the debate. ;)

Put your feet up!

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #30: Aug 30, 2014 09:45:47 am
      Ultimately it's up to you Billy, don't be put off by the trolls and morons who are in the minority, maybe keep a watching brief and post as and when you feel like it,
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #31: Aug 31, 2014 12:36:16 am
      Have to say that i LOVE reading the posts of many members but in particular the older members of this thread.
      I always believe that i know more than 99% of all those who give their thoughts, opinions and comments but then i read the writings of the older fellas and i learn a huge amount more. I love that.
      Quite often i come on the forum and just read rather than post because consistently i feel that there are a few cliques that tend to scroll past my opinions and only reply to their 'friends'
      I think thats a shame for me (as an example of a somewhat regular and long term member)
      Not saying that my ramblings are necessarily always worthy of a response but some times the constant dismissive nature of non clique types can be quite frustrating.
      I think even the idea of 'retiring' is sad and crazy.
      There are many members of this forum that gain massively from your insight
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #32: Aug 31, 2014 09:23:08 am
      Billy as others have said the decision to retire from the forum is a very personal one and one I know you won't take on a whim. 

Like the Reds, this place gets under your skin and once it's there it's tough to shake off.  Have a break, enjoy the footy, spend time with your family and when you're ready come back to us, cos we need your knowledge, wisdom and values mate.

You're one of a kind and sadly a dying breed.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #33: Sep 08, 2014 10:28:30 pm
      I've just caught up with this Billy and i guess there's a lot going on down there in the twin islands that is making you consider your position.

For me - and I know I've said before! - I'm a red since 1977 and I consider your posts like night-school for non-residents.

Be true to yourself mate and thank you. I hope we have many more exchanges.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #34: Sep 10, 2014 04:38:46 pm
      Don't do it, Billy!

I stopped posting for a while (hard to believe with 30k+ posts :D ) and started to just watch footy instead. Then you just want to talk footy, and thats where this place comes in.

Take a break, reminisce about the old days and then come back. Damn shame if you stopped altogether, i can't stand reading the opinion of people who only supported the club since 2000 :f_tongueincheek:

And which bas**rds gave Billy a + for his posts? Do you really want him gone?  >:D
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #35: Sep 10, 2014 10:02:36 pm
      I have been thinking of hanging my boots up for a while now but I am pretty close to some significant numbers for myself.
      On December the 9th I will have been a member of LFCREDS for 7 years,
      I have got just over 98 days logged in.=Target is 100 days.
      I have got 7650 posts=Target is 8000 posts.
      I have got 377 pluses=Target 400.
      Dilemma, do I wait for all the targets to be achieved or just sit back and watch the Mighty REDS go from strength to strength. :kop5cf8koxp6:

The good thing about targets is you can set them, beat them and then make new ones. We need posters like you Billy. You help keep this forum sane and your depth of knowledge on the club is exceptional. Keep it up mate!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #36: Sep 11, 2014 12:28:20 am
      I hope you don't decide to leave for good.  As your posts are very insightful and the knowledge you have to share is something very special.  I hope you will continue making visits on special occasions.   I have been on this forum for about 7 years too.  Used to be a regular for the first couple of years then the forum got flooded.  Visit after a week and can't find my old posts.  The threads have been filled with about a dozen pages.  I do always read a lot of posts.   Good luck anyways!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #37: Sep 23, 2014 12:42:02 pm
      You know the orders Billy - while there's a breath in your body an all that stuff.

Oi !

Hasnt it been you thats been emailing me weekly during my rough time with the Big C.
      Well.
      Treatment has finished for now ..... they stopped the chemo before that killed me and now we wait.

Ive got a lot of stuff built up ................and like the other guy who always has been there recently ..... Stuey ...... while you and I are vertical and breathing we dont give up on the this forum Billy Boy.

What would have Shankly said .

We go again Billy. Sharpen that wit and get typing .   

Im not down until Im down. Nor are you .

We go again .
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #38: Nov 23, 2014 07:57:40 pm
      Sorry to hijack your thread Billy but didn't want to start a new one.

I joined the forum at the latter end of the 08/09 season as I wanted to spend time discussing our wonderful Club with like minded people.  After finishing so close to winning the Title that season our team started to be dismantled by our corrupt owners needing to pay off banks for money they borrowed to buy us.  I spent more and more of my time researching their nefarious dealings with other sports institutions they owned and invariably got involved in the campaign to be rid of them.

After a disastrous season in 09/10 Rafa was duly sacked in the summer with more of our top players sold off.  We had Purslow running the show, using Roy as his puppet but with the off field financial crisis we had bigger things to worry about, like would we even exist.  After many wranglings in the High Courts we finally got our new owners, so we could all settle down and enjoy the football again.

Unfortunately that didn't happen.  The performances and results left us mind blowingly numb, the squad had been descimated and we had a Manager who thought all his birthdays had come at once when he got the job.  To him it wasn't an honour, it was a reward and somehow a justification that his career had been a success.

Then Kenny arrived to save the day.  Oh how happy everyone was to see him back, the one person we could rely on to put the Club first, who would work his socks off to make us great again.  The one person who, just by being there, would get the Kop singing, smiling and excited again.  But it didn't last, his signings in the summer were head scratchers to say the least and even though we were sitting 5th in January, rumblings about how dire our play was starting to surface.  Malcontent was rife on the forums, arguments broke out over the slightest things and despite two Wembley finals and our first Trophy in 6 years, without a second thought, he was gone.

The divisiveness of these actions amongst the fan base is still being felt, only it's worse now as more and more fans believe that if we can sack a Legend for "failing", it's perfectly right and natural to sack the next guy and probably the one after that and even the one after that too.

So onto Brendan.  Not many wanted him as Manager, not many had even thought about him as our Manager as most thought that such a prestigious club as Liverpool would only go for the best.  A proven winner, one with credentials, one we could be proud of and one we could win with.  The knives were out pretty early and even though we produced the most scintilating football seen at Anfield in a couple of decades, last season now appears to be his undoing.

Personally I doubt that even if we went on a 20 odd game winning streak some would still want him gone.  It's all well and good fans saying "all he has to do is start winning" because minds have already been made up, colours pinned to the mast, corners chosen and his possible replacements being discussed.  His weaknesses, his naivety, his inexperience, his teeth, his car, his clothes, his new missus are all used as a stick to beat this upstart of a man who thought he was capable of leading this great Club.

In little over 5 years, I've seen some of the best football and some of the worst fan behaviour and attitude towards our own than I've ever experienced.  We've had anarchy, court cases, protests, new owners and once Brendan is removed, as he surely will, our 5th Manager.

I really wanted to enjoy this season and the long journey I was expecting to go on with Brendan at the helm but I can't take the negativity of it all any more.  The forum is no longer a place to discuss our wonderful football club, it's somewhere folk want to score points, be able to say "told you", or rip each other to shreads for believing because others don't.  So from now on I'll be watching my football in the relative peace I used to have on matchdays.

It was a pleasure getting to know some of you but the others, I'll gladly live without  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #39: Nov 23, 2014 10:21:32 pm
      Debs all you say is so correct, there is so much venom in some posts and it takes the pleasure out of a top class forum. Have a rest like I did Debs and come back with your well researched and Knowledgeable post's. In closing I am moving house this Friday and will not be around much so I will wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Take care Debs
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #40: Nov 23, 2014 10:43:08 pm

I joined the forum at the latter end of the 08/09 season as I wanted to spend time discussing our wonderful Club with like minded people.  After finishing so close to winning the Title that season our team started to be dismantled by our corrupt owners needing to pay off banks for money they borrowed to buy us.  I spent more and more of my time researching their nefarious dealings with other sports institutions they owned and invariably got involved in the campaign to be rid of them.

After a disastrous season in 09/10 Rafa was duly sacked in the summer with more of our top players sold off.  We had Purslow running the show, using Roy as his puppet but with the off field financial crisis we had bigger things to worry about, like would we even exist.  After many wranglings in the High Courts we finally got our new owners, so we could all settle down and enjoy the football again.

Unfortunately that didn't happen.  The performances and results left us mind blowingly numb, the squad had been descimated and we had a Manager who thought all his birthdays had come at once when he got the job.  To him it wasn't an honour, it was a reward and somehow a justification that his career had been a success.

Then Kenny arrived to save the day.  Oh how happy everyone was to see him back, the one person we could rely on to put the Club first, who would work his socks off to make us great again.  The one person who, just by being there, would get the Kop singing, smiling and excited again.  But it didn't last, his signings in the summer were head scratchers to say the least and even though we were sitting 5th in January, rumblings about how dire our play was starting to surface.  Malcontent was rife on the forums, arguments broke out over the slightest things and despite two Wembley finals and our first Trophy in 6 years, without a second thought, he was gone.

The divisiveness of these actions amongst the fan base is still being felt, only it's worse now as more and more fans believe that if we can sack a Legend for "failing", it's perfectly right and natural to sack the next guy and probably the one after that and even the one after that too.

So onto Brendan.  Not many wanted him as Manager, not many had even thought about him as our Manager as most thought that such a prestigious club as Liverpool would only go for the best.  A proven winner, one with credentials, one we could be proud of and one we could win with.  The knives were out pretty early and even though we produced the most scintilating football seen at Anfield in a couple of decades, last season now appears to be his undoing.

Personally I doubt that even if we went on a 20 odd game winning streak some would still want him gone.  It's all well and good fans saying "all he has to do is start winning" because minds have already been made up, colours pinned to the mast, corners chosen and his possible replacements being discussed.  His weaknesses, his naivety, his inexperience, his teeth, his car, his clothes, his new missus are all used as a stick to beat this upstart of a man who thought he was capable of leading this great Club.

In little over 5 years, I've seen some of the best football and some of the worst fan behaviour and attitude towards our own than I've ever experienced.  We've had anarchy, court cases, protests, new owners and once Brendan is removed, as he surely will, our 5th Manager.

I really wanted to enjoy this season and the long journey I was expecting to go on with Brendan at the helm but I can't take the negativity of it all any more.  The forum is no longer a place to discuss our wonderful football club, it's somewhere folk want to score points, be able to say "told you", or rip each other to shreads for believing because others don't.  So from now on I'll be watching my football in the relative peace I used to have on matchdays.

It was a pleasure getting to know some of you but the others, I'll gladly live without  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

You know what they say Debs,  "Opinions are like assholes.....", it just a pity that so many asshole's feel the need to voice their opinions! It would be a shame to lose a rational genuine supporter like yourself,  from the forum because of a few pathetic WUMs!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #41: Nov 23, 2014 10:56:57 pm
      Debs all you say is so correct, there is so much venom in some posts and it takes the pleasure out of a top class forum. Have a rest like I did Debs and come back with your well researched and Knowledgeable post's. In closing I am moving house this Friday and will not be around much so I will wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Take care Debs

Mind yourself Billy.

You too Debs.

No harm to go off and recharge the batteries.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4880 
      Reply #42: Nov 23, 2014 11:54:31 pm
      Each to their own and I get on with both Debs and Billy on here but I don't see the need to 'retire' from a forum.

I'm sure you can juts dip in and out when you wish and ignore the stuff you don't want to respond to?

Anyway if you two are leaving all the best but I really don't see the need and the place would be better with you on here.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #43: Nov 24, 2014 07:51:45 am
      I'm a bit like our skipper at the moment, don't know when to go :D

Debbs, your posting will be missed.

Billy, have a stress free house move.

YNWA the pair of you.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #44: Nov 24, 2014 07:59:29 am
      I've thought about it before but I don't have any one down here to commiserate with with when we witness sh*t like we have the last 4 weeks, so I stick around knowing I'm not the only one feeling as sh*t as I do and know that mates all around the world are hurting just like me.

It also helps that there are so many funny fuckers around here, that no matter how sh*t I'm feeling, are able to give me a chuckle and put a smile on my face, even in these gloomy times.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #45: Nov 24, 2014 08:21:54 am

It's a shame to lose such a great poster due to the doom bringers that come out of the woodwork in times of tribulation.

I hope that you take a break from the forum for a while and do end up coming back to us, as it would be a shame to lose you for good on here. :(

Take care of yourself mate.

You know what they say Debs,  "Opinions are like assholes.....", it just a pity that so many asshole's feel the need to voice their opinions! It would be a shame to lose a rational genuine supporter like yourself,  from the forum because of a few pathetic WUMs!

As Tim Minchin has said... "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Although some should be constantly and thouroughly examined."

Hope the move goes smooth Billy. Take care of yourself also mate, and have a great Christmas and New Year. ;D

Quick Reply