Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Champions league group stage draw

Read 9643 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Champions league group stage draw
      Reply #161: Aug 29, 2014 12:31:38 am
      Out of interest, what is the minimum number of points that will ensure you qualify. Is it 10?

We'd be unlucky not to go through with 10 points, aye. Win Ludogorets home and away and Basel at home and pick up a point from the remaining three matches and we should be looking at going through as runners up.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #162: Aug 29, 2014 12:37:41 am
      Such a pleasure seeing a topic with this title back on the forum.  When this forum was created this kind of topic was an annual thing.  I've missed it!

Looking forward to the group.  Obviously Real Madrid will be desperate to finally land a victory over us (and score a goal against us!) and there is a little bit of revenge in the air for Ludogorets against FC Basel after being knocked out in the playoff last year.

Should be fun.  Hope our learning curve is a quick one.  We are going to need to ensure we get at least 4 points out of Basel and 6 from Ludogorets.

Out of interest, what is the minimum number of points that will ensure you qualify. Is it 10?

Napoli didn't qualify with 12 points last season, so 10 points while giving you a great chance doesn't give you any guarantee.   
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #163: Aug 29, 2014 01:06:38 am
      It is a difficult draw as Basel have lots of experience. Hopefully the Scouse Cafu is back to tag Ronaldo or Bale.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #164: Aug 29, 2014 01:18:06 am
      12 points should be the target here.

Beat Ludogorets and Basel home and away (which we have the capability to do) then we'll qualify. We may get a good result against Real Madrid, but that shouldn't be the match that decides whether or not we qualify.
      solodee

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #165: Aug 29, 2014 03:23:34 am
      It's going to be a ton of fun watching Mario Balotelli lock horns against Real Madrid. It's going to be a ton of fun watching the Reds, in their return to the Champions League, try to deal with Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale, James Rodriguez, Karim Benzema, Toni Kroos and Luka Modric.

Both teams like to play aggressive, attacking football, so this should be a blast.
      - Timothy Rapp

Yes!

Except that Timothy Rapp missed out on including The fact Real Madrid too will try to deal with Steven Gerrard, Raheem Sterling, Rickie Lambert, Coutinho, Jordan Henderson, Daniel Sturridge and a team ,Liverpool FC, they have never beaten.
       :)
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #166: Aug 29, 2014 07:47:34 am
      It's good to see us in a group that contains Real Madrid - back where we belong.  But also a group that we have no excuses for not getting out of.  Could have been a lot harder (on paper anyway).
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #167: Aug 29, 2014 07:51:39 am
      We can definitely take 13 points from those games. Sweet group. If we dont finish atleast 2nd then we only have ourselves to blame.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #168: Aug 29, 2014 09:03:56 am
      I wanted to get Barca. Slightly happy to get Madrid, slightly worried. Feck it, I'm happy to get them! Big nights & big games back at Anfield.
      Basel could prove tricky, especially away. They beat Chelsea home & away last year.
      Ludogorets I kinda liked after the penalties the other night. They will have some shock result against someone again yet. Supposedly they're bankrolled with millions?

3 wins and an away draw should see us through I reckon.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #169: Aug 29, 2014 09:20:43 am
      Will be tough but could have been a lot worse. Would swap it for Chelsea's group in a heartbeat, but f*ck Man City's for a game of soldiers. I think we'll qualify.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #170: Aug 29, 2014 09:52:16 am
      F***ing yes. Champs League back with a bang. By the time we play these rich boys, we're going to be in full flow with all our players fit and better than last year. We're going to cream them like the last time they were at Anfield, I believe this.

C   A   N   N   O   T              W   A   I   T   !   !   !

aaaarghhh....too excited!!!
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #171: Aug 29, 2014 09:53:05 am
      Looking t the fixtures, if we win our first 2 games (basel & Ludo) then i could see us getting something out of the 3rd (R Madrid at home)

if we had 7 points after the first 3 games it would mean we only had to win 1 of our last 3 i could definitely see that happening

really looking forward to this year.

On a side note, i hope suarez does well at barca but i would still like them to be out pretty sharpish if we got through ;D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #172: Aug 29, 2014 10:36:48 am
      Oh how I've missed this kind of thread. Wonderful to be back.

Great draw for us, can't wait to get the comp rolling.

Looking forward to our European Anfield nights again.

Bring on Number 6.

Can we start singing Oh Campione again?  Love that song.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #173: Aug 29, 2014 10:46:29 am
      The draw's been kind enough and should ensure the return of some fantastic nights... F**k but I've missed them.
      ineedfootball
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #174: Aug 29, 2014 11:58:56 am
      To beat Madrid we just have to watch how Atletico have contained them in the last few seasons. They should have held on to beat them in the Champions League final and have already beaten them in the Spanish super cup.

Follow the Simeone blueprint and we can beat Real home and away.

Can't say i look forward to seeing Liverpool play like Atletico did last season against the big teams.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #175: Aug 29, 2014 12:51:57 pm
      Can't say i look forward to seeing Liverpool play like Atletico did last season against the big teams.

Don't think we're built that way.  Attack Attack Attack! That's the Liverpool way.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #176: Aug 29, 2014 01:05:52 pm

Sometimes it's needed can't be all pretty football, sometimes you have to dig in to get a result.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #177: Aug 29, 2014 01:27:31 pm
      Napoli didn't qualify with 12 points last season, so 10 points while giving you a great chance doesn't give you any guarantee.   

Cheers

Yep I think 13 is the magic number that guarantees you qualify, although it's very rare for 3 teams to win 4 games and all get 12 points.

Surprised so many people are expecting us to do so well against Basel though.  Beat Chelsea home and away last year (Something we couldn't do).

Sometimes it's needed can't be all pretty football, sometimes you have to dig in to get a result.

I actually think this side has no option but to go for it.  We will not be able to play the kind of clever European tactical football that we did under Benitez.  Our current team is not one for defensive discipline and clean sheets.

It's one of the reasons I think while we may be able to get top four again we will struggle to win tournaments.
      ineedfootball
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #178: Aug 29, 2014 01:46:39 pm
      Don't think we're built that way.  Attack Attack Attack! That's the Liverpool way.

And that's exactly what i wanna see against real :D Even though they are deadly on the counter.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #179: Aug 29, 2014 02:52:58 pm
      Surprised so many people are expecting us to do so well against Basel though.  Beat Chelsea home and away last year (Something we couldn't do).

Not really considering they were the weakest side in pot 2. We ended up with a pretty decent draw in terms of qualifying out of the group stage, it is clear the games vs Basel are going to be important but I am interested to see what BR tactics and team set up will be like vs European opposition.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #180: Aug 29, 2014 04:02:29 pm
      Could any whizz kid perhaps tell me what dates the fixtures would be for so I can swiftly book myself some holidays.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #181: Aug 29, 2014 04:03:57 pm
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #182: Aug 29, 2014 04:08:04 pm
       Champions League - Group B  Liverpool V Ludogorets Razgrad Tue 16 Sep  19:45   

Champions League - Group B  FC Basel V Liverpool   Wed 1 Oct  19:45   

Champions League - Group B  Liverpool V Real Madrid Wed 22 Oct  19:45

Champions League - Group B  Real Madrid V Liverpool Tue 4 Nov  19:45   

Champions League -  Group B  Ludogorets Razgrad V Liverpool Wed 26 Nov  19:45

Champions League - Group B  Liverpool V FC Basel Tue 9 Dec  19:45 

Was a little tempted to put the wrong dates.  :)

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #183: Aug 29, 2014 04:27:15 pm
      Champions League - Group B  Liverpool V Ludogorets Razgrad Tue 16 Sep  19:45   

Champions League - Group B  FC Basel V Liverpool   Wed 1 Oct  19:45   

Champions League - Group B  Liverpool V Real Madrid Wed 22 Oct  19:45

Champions League - Group B  Real Madrid V Liverpool Tue 4 Nov  19:45   

Champions League -  Group B  Ludogorets Razgrad V Liverpool Wed 26 Nov  19:45

Champions League - Group B  Liverpool V FC Basel Tue 9 Dec  19:45 

Was a little tempted to put the wrong dates.  :)
      :laugh:

Either way I certainly won't be going in to work, not missing this for any man, woman or banking establishment.

Quick Reply