Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Clusters of 5.

Read 16994 times
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Re: Clusters of 5.
      Reply #23: Sep 23, 2014 12:29:06 pm
      I'm not sure the first set of five is as bad as it first looks, simply because the results of everyone bar Chelsea have been all over the place as well. If you'd told me, given that we had Away games at Spurs, Man City and West Ham in our first five matches, that we'd be 3 points behind Arsenal, 2 behind Man City, 1 behind Spurs and 1 ahead of both Man Utd and Everton I wouldn't have been overly disappointed. I'd probably have thought we'd have had to achieved 9 points or so rather than six in order to be there, but it is what it is. Perhaps it's the World Cup aftermath or something which has stirred things up, but despite playing sh!te we are right in the mix with everyone bar Chelsea.

When you further dig into the fixtures other teams have had, there is only Man City who could lay a claim to having had a run of games anywhere near so hard as ours. The Mancs in particular must be absolutely smarting, and they have huge amounts of ground to make up. Not on Chelsea as that bird has flown for them and everyone else bar Man City in my view, but on the rest of us who are looking to cement Champions League qualification.   

I think its the manner in which we are playing that has everyone so down and 3 losses from 5 is shocking. I think new managers and yes the WC hangover is exactly the reason why top clubs are doing poorly - bottom half teams are all performing. No WC players.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #24: Sep 29, 2014 07:59:28 am
      In dire need of a run of 4 wins atleast before we meet Chelsea. Unlucky on the weekend but not a great start to the 2nd batch of 5.

Need to make sure we dont slip up against West Brom. And now we have the CL trip to Basel midweek to recover from too.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #25: Sep 29, 2014 09:27:36 am
      Always remembering that Suarez was also unavailable for our first 5 games last season, we don't seem to have done nearly as well this time around.

Injuries to Sturridge and Allen have been instrumental in that.
      Means there are far too many new players going straight into the first team.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #26: Sep 29, 2014 10:12:35 am
      Injuries to Sturridge and Allen have been instrumental in that.
      Means there are far too many new players going straight into the first team.

There isn't a team in the league that wouldn't feel the implication of so many new recruits and Studge taking the knock magnifies more than ever the fact that we need a proven 2nd striker.
      With Balotelli still finding form we are virtually toothless, this all stems from not signing a viableish replacement for Suarez. 

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #27: Sep 29, 2014 10:14:34 am
      There isn't a team in the league that wouldn't feel the implication of so many new recruits, Studge taking the knock magnifies more than ever the fact that we need a proven 2nd striker.
      With Balotelli still finding form we are virtually toothless, this all stems from not signing a viableish replacement for Suarez. 

Pretty much.
      When Torres was sold we bought Carroll and Suarez. 60 Million on two strikers.
      This time around. Suarez sold. Lambert and Balotelli for 20 Million.

Carroll didn't work out. Suarez was immense.
      This time around, what happens if Balotelli doesn't work out?

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #28: Sep 29, 2014 10:40:10 am
      Pretty much.
      When Torres was sold we bought Carroll and Suarez. 60 Million on two strikers.
      This time around. Suarez sold. Lambert and Balotelli for 20 Million.

Carroll didn't work out. Suarez was immense.
      This time around, what happens if Balotelli doesn't work out?

Balotelli isn't doing the job at the moment mate and the answer to your enquiry is all too obvious.
      Sturridge is our saviour, how many times has he snatched us from the jaws of the brown stuff?

Studge has taken over the saviour mantle from Suarez who also helped us avoid the sh*t, there are many on here who say 'forget about Suarez' but his missing skills, skills that were vital have not been replaced, in that sense it is an ongoing theme.
      Until we acquire a viable attacking force Suarez is going to be missed, Sturridge is going to miss him not least of all because of the increased weight on his shoulders.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #29: Sep 29, 2014 11:02:17 am
      Balotelli isn't doing the job at the moment mate and the answer to your enquiry is all too obvious.
      Sturridge is our saviour, how many times has he snatched us from the jaws of the brown stuff?

Studge has taken over the saviour mantle from Suarez who also helped us avoid the sh*t, there are many on here who say 'forget about Suarez' but his missing skills, skills that were vital have not been replaced, in that sense it is an ongoing theme.
      Until we acquire a viable attacking force Suarez is going to be missed, Sturridge is going to miss him not least of all because of the increased weight on his shoulders.

The weight of expectation on Sterling has become pretty crazy too.
      Needs to be minded or he'll end up burnt out like Owen was.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #30: Sep 29, 2014 11:23:11 am
      The weight of expectation on Sterling has become pretty crazy too.
      Needs to be minded or he'll end up burnt out like Owen was.

Very true, seeing him bomb around like Billy Whiz is a sight to behold, then you ask yourself why he has to run around like a lune - there's only him doing the job.
      If Raheem ends up on the treatment bench we are fu**ed.
      If the situation continues we are looking at exhaustion.
      Don't forget Roy of the Rovers can multiply our problems overnight.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #31: Sep 29, 2014 11:30:06 am
      Very true, seeing him bomb around like Billy Whiz is a sight to behold, then you ask yourself why he has to run around like a lune - there's only him doing the job.
      If Raheem ends up on the treatment bench we are fu**ed.
      If the situation continues we are looking at exhaustion.
      Don't forget Roy of the Rovers can multiply our problems overnight.

Just as Sturridge gets back to fitness, International Break.
      F**k Hodgson, the dinosaur.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #32: Sep 29, 2014 12:13:16 pm
      In dire need of a run of 4 wins atleast before we meet Chelsea. Unlucky on the weekend but not a great start to the 2nd batch of 5.

Need to win the next 4.  13 from 15 would repair a lot of damage.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #33: Sep 29, 2014 12:31:23 pm

It certainly would - 13 would see us back up to a 4th place finish @ 1.9ppg. Benefits of a much needed run of form too. Not to get too far ahead but Block 3 is not too shabby either and all expected wins bar Chelsea.

Chelsea   H
      Palace   A
      Stoke   H
      Leicester   A
      Sunderland   H

If we had 26 from 30 (Block 2 and 3) then we would be right back up there.  2.13 ppg so that would have us in place for 3rd. Big change of form.

Question is can we play well against those poor teams that are going to sit back and harass us with long balls or look for those key set pieces. Big improvement needed in all areas of the park - but we have shown signs that our pace and passing were back at the weekend. Hopefully its a sign that the newbies are coming up to standard with the tactics.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34: Sep 29, 2014 12:34:56 pm

I am not sure that it will be as easy as that mate. While the games all look winnable we have the distraction of playing 3 CL matches with two glamour games against R.Madrid that may take players eye's off the ball. If that wasn't enough we have another International break to look forward to as well after the West Brom game.

So while this may be our easiest set of fixtures the fates have decided they couldn't have come at a worse time.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #35: Sep 29, 2014 01:08:38 pm
      I am not sure that it will be as easy as that mate. While the games all look winnable we have the distraction of playing 3 CL matches with two glamour games against R.Madrid that may take players eye's off the ball. If that wasn't enough we have another International break to look forward to as well after the West Brom game.

So while this may be our easiest set of fixtures the fates have decided they couldn't have come at a worse time.

All true and BR needs to manage the games well. Real away could be a chance to rest some players before Chelsea, depending on how we get on against Basel.

I honestly think the league position should be priority over any other cup. We need CL this year as the prize bonuses are tripled. If UTD for instance, get in there ahead of us, it will be VERY difficult to get back in again.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #36: Sep 29, 2014 01:34:19 pm
      I am not sure that it will be as easy as that mate.

I definitely didn't say it would be easy and the way we are playing at the moment I think its extremely unlikely. 

Was just pointing out that 4 solid results would put us back on track.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #37: Sep 29, 2014 01:36:11 pm
      Real away could be a chance to rest some players before Chelsea

Remember when Chelsea didn't rest players before playing us and then came to Anfield and beat us 2-0.

I'm really starting to wonder about this resting players business.  Fair enough, if we were playing the kind of expansive aggresive football that we did last season then you could understand resting players but seeing as they are going through the motions maybe them all having as much time on the field together with each other is possibly more important.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #38: Sep 29, 2014 01:43:58 pm
      Remember when Chelsea didn't rest players before playing us and then came to Anfield and beat us 2-0.

I'm really starting to wonder about this resting players business.  Fair enough, if we were playing the kind of expansive aggresive football that we did last season then you could understand resting players but seeing as they are going through the motions maybe them all having as much time on the field together with each other is possibly more important.

Ye but the travel and rest time after games upsets the training and rest periods they need. Signs of expansive fast pace footie were seen on saturday. We will come good.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #39: Sep 29, 2014 01:56:31 pm
      I definitely didn't say it would be easy and the way we are playing at the moment I think its extremely unlikely. 

Was just pointing out that 4 solid results would put us back on track.

Fair enough J.D. I was just trying to give the task ahead some context.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #40: Oct 20, 2014 09:42:39 am
      7 points from 3 with 2 "winnable games" left. Perspective in the cold light of day. If we were to struggle to the 13 points in this lot of 5, it would be massive considering how poor we are. Hopefully Studge will be back before chelsea too.

2 more wins please.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #41: Oct 20, 2014 09:59:01 pm
      7 points from 3 with 2 "winnable games" left. Perspective in the cold light of day. If we were to struggle to the 13 points in this lot of 5, it would be massive considering how poor we are.

Totally agree.  7 points from 9 so far in this block - despite the continuation of some terrible football.  Another 2 wins and we're back in business.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #42: Oct 20, 2014 11:23:05 pm
      7 points from 9 so far in this block - despite the continuation of some terrible football.

Can only look at it in a positive light, we may be playing awful but the 3 points is the most important thing so if we already have 7 from 9 then hopefully when we are playing better that will be 9 out of 9 like.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #43: Oct 21, 2014 01:05:18 am
      Totally agree.  7 points from 9 so far in this block - despite the continuation of some terrible football.  Another 2 wins and we're back in business.

We're absolutely sh*te at the moment. Let's not kid ourselves, we're F***ing chronic. But I'd sooner be this bad and picking up points than playing fantastic football and picking up none. Rather be lucky than good; served United well for years.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #44: Oct 21, 2014 07:17:13 am
      We're absolutely sh*te at the moment. Let's not kid ourselves, we're f**king chronic. But I'd sooner be this bad and picking up points than playing fantastic football and picking up none. Rather be lucky than good; served United well for years.

It certainly did. No1 will remember this bad spell for too long, IF we go on to get CL again. Frustrating part is the lack of.... well basically every element of our game which we did well last season. If we played like that, had Studge fit, we could literally be on for a treble this season. Ha Life is full of ifs. Sure is frustrating though.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #45: Oct 21, 2014 02:00:30 pm
      City away, Spurs away, Everton and Southampton at home have been half of our games.  Sure we are 4 points down on this stage last season but by this stage last season we had only played United and Southampton (both at home) that could really have been described as tricky.

We're absolutely sh*te at the moment. Let's not kid ourselves, we're f**king chronic. But I'd sooner be this bad and picking up points than playing fantastic football and picking up none. Rather be lucky than good; served United well for years.

Not kidding myself - I am well aware that we have been completely sh*te in 11 of our 12 football games this season.

Quick Reply