Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Victor Valdes (Free Agent)

Read 22161 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Victor Valdes (Free Agent)
      Reply #69: Sep 04, 2014 07:21:35 pm
      It seems that we've gone for Valdes after Alex McCarthy rejected a move in favour of first team football.

Courtesy of Sky Sports Transfer Centre

Sky Sports Transfer Centre? Is this Sky's desperate attempt to still sound as relevant as ever even though they are fast becoming irrelevant especially following the complete loss of all CL football from next year? Long may this decline continue!
      LFCexiled
      Reply #70: Sep 04, 2014 07:35:53 pm
      Sky Sports Transfer Centre? Is this Sky's desperate attempt to still sound as relevant as ever even though they are fast becoming irrelevant especially following the complete loss of all CL football from next year? Long may this decline continue!

CL? I thought it was only the PL?
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #71: Sep 04, 2014 07:39:30 pm
      CL? I thought it was only the PL?

Next season they've lost the rights to host the CL matches, which starts next season (a big increase in CL money for the English teams that qualify for the CL this season)

Hence why they started up the new European sports channel, Sky Sports 5, which is basically just the Dutch league that they've added.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #72: Sep 04, 2014 07:56:49 pm
      Next season they've lost the rights to host the CL matches, which starts next season (a big increase in CL money for the English teams that qualify for the CL this season)

Hence why they started up the new European sports channel, Sky Sports 5, which is basically just the Dutch league that they've added.

Oh, that explains the two years free broadband if you take SS5, a two year contract for F**k all. I thought they only lost the PL to BT, so have BT and ITV got all the CL footy as of next year then?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #73: Sep 04, 2014 08:02:39 pm
      Oh, that explains the two years free broadband if you take SS5, a two year contract for f**k all. I thought they only lost the PL to BT, so have BT and ITV got all the CL footy as of next year then?

BT Sport have captured all live matches if I'm not mistaken. ITV only have highlights but BT will be screening the final and matches containing English sides for free. For the whole package it's likely you'll have to pay a fee to BT next year but a fee they say is substantially lower than what Sky customers. My parents have BT Broadband so get BT Sport for free. Doubt that will continue next season but I don't think a subscription will be too expensive.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #74: Sep 04, 2014 08:15:53 pm
      BT Sport have captured all live matches if I'm not mistaken. ITV only have highlights but BT will be screening the final and matches containing English sides for free. For the whole package it's likely you'll have to pay a fee to BT next year but a fee they say is substantially lower than what Sky customers. My parents have BT Broadband so get BT Sport for free. Doubt that will continue next season but I don't think a subscription will be too expensive.

I was made up they'd lost the PL but that's doubled my madeupedness. I hope they run it at a loss for a couple of years and keep murdoch where he belongs.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #75: Sep 04, 2014 11:23:59 pm
      Mirror now saying we'll sign him in October if he passes stringent fitness tests to prove he's over his injury. Really, I can't see how we can go wrong with this. He's in his prime for a goal keeper, highly experienced, talented and free. What more could we ask for?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3841 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #76: Sep 05, 2014 12:56:51 am
      Mirror now saying we'll sign him in October if he passes stringent fitness tests to prove he's over his injury. Really, I can't see how we can go wrong with this. He's in his prime for a goal keeper, highly experienced, talented and free. What more could we ask for?

ACL injury is probably one of the worst though.
      It's made Lucas a shadow of the player he was.
      Maybe not as severe for a 'keeper, but he'll still not be as explosive.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #77: Sep 05, 2014 07:13:31 am
      Would you agree the "experiment" went well on Sunday when at 1 up he saved a point blank shot which if it had gone in might have changed the complexion of the game?

While at it, that save in the last minute vs Southampton too?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #78: Sep 05, 2014 07:40:15 am
      Would you agree the "experiment" went well on Sunday when at 1 up he saved a point blank shot which if it had gone in might have changed the complexion of the game?

You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here... go watch the first half again, that shot was hit straight at him, we could have put Ian Ayre in there and if he just stood still he would have stopped it.  Mignolet has made saves much more stunning than that one, the finger tips save against Saints for example was world class.  That one against Spurs wasn't nearly as impressive.

Anyway what you have just said just typifies the Sky generation, you only remember the world class saves, but if you actually paid attention to our games you would realize that at the bread and butter stuff Mignolet is very, very poor.  Just in the Spurs game alone, in the first 30 minutes he kicked the ball under no pressure straight to 2 Spurs players, got caught in no man's land like a deer in the headlights on the lob Adebayor tried, then a few minutes later on the left sided attack he rushed out a la Neuer, great idea, except when he grabbed the ball he dropped it and we got lucky that it bounced off their player and went out. 

This is not to even mention the horrendous positioning on, say, the Aguero goal at City. 

The problem with Mignolet is not his ability to make amazing saves, we know he can do that.  The problem is that on the bread and butter stuff---commanding the box, being vocal to the back four, being solid on corners, keeping right positioning, etc---on that stuff he's sorely lacking. 

He is great when he has no time to think, hence why he makes those world class reaction saves.  But the other 90% of the time he is way too shaky to be the number one keeper at a club like ours.

But, you keep watching your MOTD highlights and thinking he is great, I will keep watching our games in full and give you the report on how sloppy he is over 90 minutes.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #79: Sep 05, 2014 08:07:57 am
      Condescending as ever Fed but at least you remain constant.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,396 posts | 3399 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #80: Sep 05, 2014 09:42:41 am
      Condescending as ever Fed but at least you remain constant.

like death and taxes !
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #81: Sep 05, 2014 10:09:27 am
      Any idea what wages Valdes would be commanding?.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #82: Sep 05, 2014 10:17:33 am
      I'm always baffled why people are so negative about Mignolet, I think hes a superb goalie who just seems to be getting better all the time. Having said that I of course welcome the added competition which Valdes would bring.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #83: Sep 05, 2014 10:21:36 am
      I'm always baffled why people are so negative about Mignolet, I think hes a superb goalie who just seems to be getting better all the time. Having said that I of course welcome the added competition which Valdes would bring.
      I find that handling crosses and distribution to start counter attacks can be improved.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #84: Sep 05, 2014 11:47:44 am
      I find that handling crosses and distribution to start counter attacks can be improved.

Always room for improvement, but in keeper terms he's still to reach his peak and his distribution has improved a lot since he first started with us. The on thing which I think you can't teach a goalie is reflexes and this is where Mignolet is so much better than Reina, for example. The other things like handling crosses better, distribution etc will come, I have no doubts about that.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #85: Sep 05, 2014 01:47:13 pm
      I was made up they'd lost the PL but that's doubled my madeupedness. I hope they run it at a loss for a couple of years and keep murdoch where he belongs.

Sky still have the majority of the PL in their hands and will do for the next couple of years but given how BT Sport showed their hand over the Champions League, I'm half expecting them to further strip Sky off it's footballing assets at the next round of tv bidding. Make no mistake, BT Sport are no Setanta or ESPN, offering light weight deals with no hope of ever challenging Sky in the football ranks. In fact they're already goading Sky and sending out serious warnings that they are prepared to go all the way with Sky over the PL.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/bt-sport-goads-sky-over-premier-league-broadcast-battle-1463848

It's yet more evidence of the eye watering levels of money in the game now but I can't help but desire to see Murdoch and Sky handed their arses on a plate. Don't buy it, never had it and never will have it.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,143 posts | 2777 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #86: Sep 05, 2014 02:57:46 pm
      said just typifies the Sky generation, you only remember the world class saves, but if you actually paid attention to our games you would realize that at the bread and butter stuff Mignolet is very, very poor. 

Fook you ye pr**k don't dare talk down to me or refer to me as a fooking sky generation fan or if I actually watched games ye knobhead

And a goalkeepers bread and butter is saves, clown
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #87: Sep 05, 2014 04:04:04 pm
      Fook you ye pr**k don't dare talk down to me or refer to me as a fooking sky generation fan or if I actually watched games ye knobhead

And a goalkeepers bread and butter is saves, clown

I most definitely agree, people seem to forget that in the modern game. But that is the bread and butter stuff of keeping. And the score read 3-0 at WHL last week which obviously means Mig's never let in a goal. Yes, there are areas where he could improve upon without doubt but not the bread and butter of keeping the ball out of the net.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #88: Sep 05, 2014 05:38:25 pm
      I most definitely agree, people seem to forget that in the modern game. But that is the bread and butter stuff of keeping. And the score read 3-0 at WHL last week which obviously means Mig's never let in a goal. Yes, there are areas where he could improve upon without doubt but not the bread and butter of keeping the ball out of the net.

Thing is also, keepers have a tendency to mature later as than the other positions and they play at a higher level as they age in comparison to say a striker/mid-fielder...To me there are a lot of things that can be taught and improved upon, one of them however that must come naturally is reflex's and migs has that in spades.

I want to see him improve each year, I want him to have competition but to simply say that at the ripe old age of 26 that he is not good enough is a load of bullshit.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #89: Sep 05, 2014 05:40:14 pm
      We just got shot of a mature keeper.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #90: Sep 05, 2014 05:46:54 pm
      You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here... go watch the first half again, that shot was hit straight at him, we could have put Ian Ayre in there and if he just stood still he would have stopped it.  Mignolet has made saves much more stunning than that one, the finger tips save against Saints for example was world class.  That one against Spurs wasn't nearly as impressive.

Anyway what you have just said just typifies the Sky generation, you only remember the world class saves, but if you actually paid attention to our games you would realize that at the bread and butter stuff Mignolet is very, very poor.  Just in the Spurs game alone, in the first 30 minutes he kicked the ball under no pressure straight to 2 Spurs players, got caught in no man's land like a deer in the headlights on the lob Adebayor tried, then a few minutes later on the left sided attack he rushed out a la Neuer, great idea, except when he grabbed the ball he dropped it and we got lucky that it bounced off their player and went out. 

This is not to even mention the horrendous positioning on, say, the Aguero goal at City. 

The problem with Mignolet is not his ability to make amazing saves, we know he can do that.  The problem is that on the bread and butter stuff---commanding the box, being vocal to the back four, being solid on corners, keeping right positioning, etc---on that stuff he's sorely lacking. 

He is great when he has no time to think, hence why he makes those world class reaction saves.  But the other 90% of the time he is way too shaky to be the number one keeper at a club like ours.

But, you keep watching your MOTD highlights and thinking he is great, I will keep watching our games in full and give you the report on how sloppy he is over 90 minutes.

Can't believe I'm gonna say this but first sentence aside I actually agree with Fed.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #91: Sep 05, 2014 05:50:07 pm

It's hilarious when you talk of 'the sky generation' as though you are a wise old Liverpool fan who has had a season ticket since the 60s. I think I'm right in saying that you've never been to Anfield before and have only attended a Liverpool match when they have played Chelsea at Stamford Bridge? You've never represented the sane and rational voice of this forum, let alone Liverpool fans as a whole so why don't you just shut the f**k up?!
      « Last Edit: Sep 05, 2014 07:14:27 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »

Quick Reply