Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Deal of the Summer?

Read 9236 times
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Re: Deal of the Summer?
      Reply #23: Sep 10, 2014 12:49:46 am
      I don't think Fabregas and Costa can be counted in 'deals of the Summer'. When you think of deals of the summer I think of relative unknowns. Fabregas and Costa are what big spending clubs buy to win things. They are top of table recruits not IMO deals of the summer.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #24: Sep 10, 2014 12:51:58 am
      Like it is hardly a 'shrewd' piece of business. I mean if BR bought Messi we couldn't conclude he has an eye for a player.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #25: Sep 10, 2014 04:54:34 am
      For a combined price of Di Maria I think that's sensational business.

Or 3 Ross McCormack's each :D
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #26: Sep 10, 2014 06:17:22 am
      For a combined price of Di Maria I think that's sensational business.

Or 3 Ross McCormack's each :D

Give me a team of Ross McCormack's and I'll give you Championship Football.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #27: Sep 10, 2014 07:39:56 am
      That's the point isn't it? The prices for strikers have shot up and also proven, high quality players have sky rocketed and to land Costa and Fabregas for those prices is terrific business.

Even Brown Ideye signed for WBA for £10m for an unknown (not even his manager knew who he was) striker.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #28: Sep 10, 2014 12:05:48 pm
      That's the point isn't it? The prices for strikers have shot up and also proven, high quality players have sky rocketed and to land Costa and Fabregas for those prices is terrific business.

Even Brown Ideye signed for WBA for £10m for an unknown (not even his manager knew who he was) striker.

Costas fee was the buyout clause. The Fabregas was undisclosed but believed to be around 30 million. He wanted to go, Barca wanted to sell and with his wages where else is he going to go.

I don't believe these are good deals, they are the kind of deals Real Madrid, Barecelona, Bayern and now Chelsea do regularly and they aren't good business they are just business.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #29: Sep 10, 2014 02:41:02 pm
      Costas fee was the buyout clause. The Fabregas was undisclosed but believed to be around 30 million. He wanted to go, Barca wanted to sell and with his wages where else is he going to go.

I don't believe these are good deals, they are the kind of deals Real Madrid, Barecelona, Bayern and now Chelsea do regularly and they aren't good business they are just business.

In regards to Costa I think it was good buisness because there was no bidding war.

They wanted him early and got him, he was arguably the second best striker in the world behind  Suarez, yet Chelsea signed him with their first bid being accepted.

Good business to me.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #30: Sep 10, 2014 04:56:06 pm
      Two elite players for 30m each is a steal given the current market. Other teams' fault if they don't want them.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #31: Sep 11, 2014 12:42:58 am
      In regards to Costa I think it was good buisness because there was no bidding war.

They wanted him early and got him, he was arguably the second best striker in the world behind  Suarez, yet Chelsea signed him with their first bid being accepted.

Good business to me.
      Apparently with the Costa deal, if they paid more than the buyout clause they had to pay an extra 15 million pounds due to some tax clause (45 mil). Now how many teams are going to stump up that money, who can afford his wagesand where does he want to go. The deal was only in the hands of about 4 clubs and probably chelsea is the only one who needed him.

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #32: Sep 11, 2014 12:49:23 am
      Two elite players for 30m each is a steal given the current market. Other teams' fault if they don't want them.

Its not just 30 million though. The wages are huge and the players have to want to go there. For these two players it is oging to be Bayern, Barca, Madrid, City or Chelsea. Bayern just got Lewandovski, City have got to get FFA down and already have 3 strikers used to their system, Barca bought Suarez so really it is Madrid and Chelsea. Now for Fabregas we can rule out Madrid and Barca so that leaves City, Chelsea and Bayern. City and Bayern obviously have enough of these players as scoring goals is not really a problem for them. So Chelsea it is.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #33: Sep 11, 2014 03:03:00 am
      Apparently with the Costa deal, if they paid more than the buyout clause they had to pay an extra 15 million pounds due to some tax clause (45 mil). Now how many teams are going to stump up that money, who can afford his wagesand where does he want to go. The deal was only in the hands of about 4 clubs and probably chelsea is the only one who needed him.

Obviously the extra 15 mil went to the government and not Atletico

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #34: Sep 11, 2014 01:46:44 pm
      Can we not be hipster in this thread.
      Costa and Fabregas were great business.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #35: Sep 12, 2014 01:31:18 am
      Its not just 30 million though. The wages are huge and the players have to want to go there. For these two players it is oging to be Bayern, Barca, Madrid, City or Chelsea. Bayern just got Lewandovski, City have got to get FFA down and already have 3 strikers used to their system, Barca bought Suarez so really it is Madrid and Chelsea. Now for Fabregas we can rule out Madrid and Barca so that leaves City, Chelsea and Bayern. City and Bayern obviously have enough of these players as scoring goals is not really a problem for them. So Chelsea it is.

Wages shmages.

Fabreags and Costa quality could demand 40m+ each for their transfer fee. That, alone, makes these deals terrific pieces of business. That they are exactly what Chelsea needed just make their deals even better.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #36: Sep 12, 2014 05:15:18 am
      No like I said Costa would have had to be 45 mil if it was higher than 30 (buy out clause). The extra didn't go to Atletico so they don't care. The bidding would have had to start at 45. Look at how many clubs would have paid that.

Barca paid 35 for Fabregas. You watch how much Barca and Madrid buy players for and what they sell  them for. As soon as the players become surplus (for whatever reason) they move them on. Like I said only 2 or 3 clubs could possibly in for Fabregas and two of those we can rule out. This is just my opinion but that is how I see it.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #37: Sep 12, 2014 10:59:39 am
      His quality, not him.

His quality, in the current market is 40m+ (more when Atletico are coming off such a big season thanks to him mainly).

I'm not taking his contract in to the equation. Just talking Diego Costa as a player.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #38: Sep 13, 2014 04:25:00 pm
      Doesn't matter if they were 60m combined or if they were already world class or not, it's getting increasingly difficult to say Costa and Fabregas weren't the deals of the summer....

Away from them, Pelle for Southampton will be a good buy and Sigurdsson going back to Swansea was a great move. Honestly think if he signed for us rather than Spurs we'd be talking about how he's one of the best attacking midfielders in the league (although we might not have got Coutinho then!).
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #39: Sep 14, 2014 11:38:52 am
      I don't think Fabregas and Costa can be counted in 'deals of the Summer'. When you think of deals of the summer I think of relative unknowns.
      Are you going to let us in on the secret mate and tell us who you think are good deals?  :confused-smiley-013:

For me [and this is where we obviously differ] a "good deal" is buying a player or players, irrespective of cost, who will improve the team to the point where they can win titles, trophies or stave off relegation. So far, Costa, Fabregas (and to a certain extent, Remy) have done just that. As has Ulloa by the way.  ;)

There's really no point in signing say, a good right-back, for a cut-price fee, if it's a centre-forward you need.

"Hey love, I got a great deal on Dog food; only 2p a tin, 10,000 of them"...

"Great but you do know we don't have a dog; we've got a horse that needs feeding?" 

"But... but... it was a great deal... only 2p a tin"  >:D
      « Last Edit: Sep 14, 2014 11:49:31 am by bad boy bubby »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #40: Sep 14, 2014 05:54:02 pm
      Are you going to let us in on the secret mate and tell us who you think are good deals?  :confused-smiley-013:

For me [and this is where we obviously differ] a "good deal" is buying a player or players, irrespective of cost, who will improve the team to the point where they can win titles, trophies or stave off relegation. So far, Costa, Fabregas (and to a certain extent, Remy) have done just that. As has Ulloa by the way.  ;)

There's really no point in signing say, a good right-back, for a cut-price fee, if it's a centre-forward you need.

"Great but you do know we don't have a dog; we've got a horse that needs feeding?" 

The only deals better than Fabregas and Costa signing for Chelsea were the two they sold that covered the cost of both.
      Great business both ways for Chelsea, unfortunately.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #41: Sep 14, 2014 11:09:30 pm
      Can't believe some on here don't think Costa and Fabregas aren't good deals.

Chelsea look like league winners in waiting just by signing those two.

I'm still a bit pissed we didn't sign Remy especially when you see him turn out for them and score on his debut.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #42: Sep 16, 2014 12:47:27 am

I'm still a bit pissed we didn't sign Remy especially when you see him turn out for them and score on his debut.
      Its not a case that they aren't good players. They are top drawer players. There is just a lot more to the equation than Chelsea paid less for them than United paid for Di Maria. I would say Di Maria at 65 million was a sh*t deal as is some EPL forward for 20 million. With FFP Barca can but a player for 65 million because they make a lot more than Chelsea. Same with Madrid and same with United. Costa and Fabregas both wanted to go weren't signing and were going where they wanted. The Costa deal hinged on the 15 million extra. The Fabregas deal was probably done with money up front not staggered. The point is there is a lot more than quoting a 30 mill figure as cheap especially in comparison to a handful of deals that are ludicrous but now depend a lot on the FFP ruling.

I'll let you on my way of thinking. NO ONE bought by Chelsea, Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, or Man City are deals of the season. These clubs by established superstars who in their setup will be successful. Fabregas??? a deal of the season.
      Costa  ??? a deal of the season ?? C'mon

We just bought Diego Maradona, He was only 85 million and he on us the league. What a piece of business who was the genius who thought of that plan.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #43: Sep 16, 2014 12:51:34 am
      What I don't understand is if Fabregas and Costa are worth much more why didn't Atletico and Barca screw Chelsea for the money, its not like they are mugs. How much should Chelsea have paid for them. Naming world class players as deals of the season, especially when they are sat in the current Chelsea line up, is to me not right.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #44: Sep 16, 2014 01:04:12 am

Agree

Agree

Agree

Surely offering maybe an extra 5 million pounds to each of them could have got the " I want to live in London" thoughts out of their minds!!!

And we won't even start on Remy. That's a massive F**k up on our behalf.  :mad:
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #45: Sep 16, 2014 03:46:09 am
      And we won't even start on Remy. That's a massive f**k up on our behalf.
      BR probably met Remy or asked around and found out he's a w**ker and therefore not wanted by us but a perfect fit for Chelski.

Quick Reply