Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Sturridge out with thigh injury

Read 12712 times
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Sturridge out with thigh injury
      Sep 05, 2014 11:52:42 pm
      Apparently he's going for a scan apparently

But if it turns out to be a lengthy injury, how would you set up the forwards?

Would you play Sterling WITH Balotelli and Coutinho behind? Balotelli and Lambert / Balotelli and Borini with Sterling behind them?

Personally, would try a Sterling, Balotelli, Coutinho triangle. with a second choice of Balotelli / Borini with Sterling behind. (with Lambert on as Plan B option if needed)

What do you think?
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Re: Sturridge out with thigh injury
      Reply #1: Sep 06, 2014 12:05:35 am
      This is where Borini really needs to step up and prove he is good enough. Last chance saloon. Personally I'd play Balotelli up top with markovic/Sterling/Coutinho behind or Lallana if fit.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #2: Sep 06, 2014 12:11:01 am
      Guess this comes under the as it stands thread, because personnel always changing via injuries or suspensions. 
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #3: Sep 06, 2014 12:19:35 am
      Assuming the line up at the moment is the same as for the Tottenham game we can change things around with our squad in a lot of ways.

Option 1: 4-3-3 bring in Markovic for Sturridge, leave rest as is.

Option 2: 4-2-3-1 Markovic/Coutinho/Lallana in for Sturridge and Allen (who doesn't work in a 4-2-3-1 unless he's part of the 2 in my opinion but that'd mean dropping Hendo or Stevie)

Option 3: Continue with the diamond, move Sterling up top and bring back Coutinho or Lallana when he's match fit for Sturridge.

Option 4: Continue with diamond, straight swap Sturridge for Lambert or Borini.

Option 5: Recall Lord Aspas  :f_tongueincheek:
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #4: Sep 06, 2014 12:33:09 am
      If we are going for something we haven't done before - I'd back the Christmas tree. Its basically the diamond, except 2 number 10s and 1 striker rather than vice versa. Sterling and Coutinho together centrally.
      Same issues as with the diamond (width only comes from fullbacks), but the reason I suggest it is that I'm not enamored with the idea of making Sterling a striker as many are. Not because I don't think he can do it - but because I don't think we need it, and he won't be as good at it, as he is a number 10. That is to say: he will do it well, but the team would be weaker for it than if he were played in the number 10 role.
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #5: Sep 06, 2014 03:43:51 am
      Stick with the same formation used against Spurs but replace Sturridge with Lambert.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #6: Sep 06, 2014 04:04:10 am
      I'd keep the team that put spuds to the sword and swap Studge for Lambert. Borini on the bench. I like the 4-3-3 personally but we just seem to get another gear out of the team with the diamond + two strikers.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #7: Sep 06, 2014 05:55:18 am
      Stick with the same formation used against Spurs but replace Sturridge with Lambert.

Would Lambert and Ballo work well together?

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #8: Sep 06, 2014 07:53:28 am
      Did I seriously see someone suggest playing Balotelli and Lambert together.... oh dear.

Look.  Just because Lambert and Borini are 3rd and 4th in line respectively at striker doesn't mean that they are necessarily Plan C and D respectively, in general. 

We don't need to play with two strikers necessarily; we did that last season because both Suarez and Sturridge played better together and were unstoppable.  Brendan changes the system to fit the players, not the other way around. 

So now, we don't have 2 top quality strikers available.  We have one---Balotelli. 

Plan A should be return to a front three with Sterling, Balotelli, and Markovic on the other side.
      Plan B should be to stick with the diamond and have Sterling and Balotelli at the top.
      Plan C should be 4-2-3-1 with Henderson and Stevie in the back 2 of midfield, Sterling, Coutinho and Markovic in the three, and Balotelli up front on his own.

These should be the first three plans.

If, for some reason, something then happened to Balotelli as well, we should have plan D, E and F reflect A, B, and C, only with Sterling in the striker role.  Coutinho can take his place on the wing in a pinch.

So basically we should try all six of those options prior to even considering playing Lambert or Borini.  I would much rather have Sterling as our striker than either of those two and I doubt anyone here would disagree.  In fact you might even want to think of Borini and Lambert as being 4th and 5th instead of 3rd and 4th, i.e., Sturridge and Balotelli and then BEFORE Borini and Lambert comes Sterling.

He would be my third choice striker.  The kid is just brilliant.

So please.  Keep Lambert and Borini as far away from the pitch as possible.

Sterling and Balotelli are more than capable of holding down the fort until Sturridge gets back. 
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #9: Sep 06, 2014 08:16:17 am
      Did I seriously see someone suggest playing Balotelli and Lambert together.... oh dear.

Look.  Just because Lambert and Borini are 3rd and 4th in line respectively at striker doesn't mean that they are necessarily Plan C and D respectively, in general. 

We don't need to play with two strikers necessarily; we did that last season because both Suarez and Sturridge played better together and were unstoppable.  Brendan changes the system to fit the players, not the other way around. 

So now, we don't have 2 top quality strikers available.  We have one---Balotelli. 

Plan A should be return to a front three with Sterling, Balotelli, and Markovic on the other side.
      Plan B should be to stick with the diamond and have Sterling and Balotelli at the top.
      Plan C should be 4-2-3-1 with Henderson and Stevie in the back 2 of midfield, Sterling, Coutinho and Markovic in the three, and Balotelli up front on his own.

If, for some reason, something then happened to Balotelli as well, we should have plan D, E and F reflect A, B, and C, only with Sterling in the striker role.  Coutinho can take his place on the wing in a pinch.

So basically we should try all six of those options prior to even considering playing Lambert or Borini.  I would much rather have Sterling as our striker than either of those two and I doubt anyone here would disagree.  In fact you might even want to think of Borini and Lambert as being 4th and 5th instead of 3rd and 4th, i.e., Sturridge and Balotelli and then BEFORE Borini and Lambert comes Sterling.

Sterling and Balotelli are more than capable of holding down the fort until Sturridge gets back. 

I am supposed to be having a rest from LFCREDS but I could not resist asking you a question, where was you when LFC appointed Brendan Rodgers as manager.  Surely if you were available Brendan would not of stood a cat in hells chance of being appointed manager. Back to my rest.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #10: Sep 06, 2014 09:51:07 am
      Would play Couthinho where Sterling was playing and push Raheem forward against Villa, and maybe play Lambert in the CL.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #11: Sep 06, 2014 10:05:49 am
      Flippin injured again!
      At least this is one way to know how we manage without him in the team, lucky that we've got a load of talent to work with.
      This was going to happen at some point, lets get all the practice in when the league is just getting going.
      If we don't do well just because Sturridge isn't available.. in fact; I can see us playing better because other players won't look for the easy option if you catch my drift.
      Others will step up and various other Clichés.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #12: Sep 06, 2014 11:10:31 am
      Thankfully we have Balotelli! We don't have to worry if the injury doesn't kepp him out too long. We have the cover now.
      I would play like this
                   Balotelli
      Sterling                Markovic
                  Coutinho
               Gerrard   Hendo
      back for and Mig
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #13: Sep 06, 2014 01:25:16 pm
      The Evening Standard had been reporting he was out for 4 months, but they have now cut that from their story, so hopefully bollocks.

It'll be a big test of Balotelli if Sturridge is out for any length of time cos he is such a key player in our system. He is basically the perfect striker for our style of play.
      We'll find out a lot about Balotelli when he steps in. Thank F**k we at least got in a top class option.

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #14: Sep 06, 2014 02:56:23 pm
      Mirror saying 3 weeks.
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/daniel-sturridge-ruled-out-englands-4172178

England being a bit coy about what the injury actually is.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #15: Sep 06, 2014 03:41:16 pm
      Anyone remember this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/i-tested-daniel-sturridges-resolve-by-playing-him-unfit-admits-roy-hodgson-8978787.html

"Roy Hodgson has admitted that he tested Daniel Sturridge's commitment to England by picking him against Germany last month even though the striker was not completely fit."
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16: Sep 06, 2014 03:46:27 pm
      Thankfully we have Balotelli! We don't have to worry if the injury doesn't kepp him out too long. We have the cover now.
      I would play like this
                   Balotelli
      Sterling                Markovic
                  Coutinho
               Gerrard   Hendo
      back for and Mig
      I don't think Coutinho should play so deep and Sterling looks world class as a number 10. He is good on the wing but Sterling may be the best number 10 in the world if not now then quite soon. I would have this,

Balotelli

Coutinho Sterling Lallana

Gerrard Hendo

Lambert if Balotelli underperforms  or needs fresh legs and Markovic to replace any of the three behind him. This talk of Borini is a little shocking and fed is right to say just because Sturridge is out doesn't mean Borini is in. I'd imagine that we will change formation since different players are available and we need to be versatile.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,965 posts | 3944 
      Reply #17: Sep 06, 2014 04:01:27 pm
      Anyone remember this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/i-tested-daniel-sturridges-resolve-by-playing-him-unfit-admits-roy-hodgson-8978787.html

"Roy Hodgson has admitted that he tested Daniel Sturridge's commitment to England by picking him against Germany last month even though the striker was not completely fit."

Oh aye and that was confirmation if it was needed of what a F***ing balloon the man is.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #18: Sep 06, 2014 04:16:40 pm
      I don't think Coutinho should play so deep and Sterling looks world class as a number 10. He is good on the wing but Sterling may be the best number 10 in the world if not now then quite soon. I would have this,

Balotelli

Coutinho Sterling Lallana

Gerrard Hendo

Its been tried again and again, and 4-2-3-1 does not work with a Gerrard Hendo double pivot. The double pivot is asking 2 midfielders to do the running work of 3 as it is, and Gerrard doesn't have the legs to be part of that 2 man midfield. If we were to play that formation, it would have to be with another Box to box midfielder.
      4-2-3-1 does not accommodate our strongest team, even with Sturridge injured.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #19: Sep 06, 2014 04:20:08 pm

With the attacking style of play we use, it is very useful to have as many high-quality finishers on the pitch as possible in order to capitalise on throwing so many players forward. As a result, having Lambert and Balotelli up front with Sterling at 10 could very well be Rodgers's contingency plan for when Sturridge is out. This would also allow us to have 3 men in central midfield. Lambert might not be a very fashionable player, but he does offer us a presence and goal-scoring threat in the opposition's box.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #20: Sep 06, 2014 04:22:22 pm
      Might get some stick for this, but I would put Lambert in. I have a feeling he can do some good for us and finish some goals.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #21: Sep 06, 2014 04:38:45 pm
      I can't wait to see Lambert and Borini scoring goals for us.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #22: Sep 06, 2014 04:41:39 pm
      I think we should continue to play the diamond. Simply because it gets the best out of Gerrard, Henderson and Sterling. The only time we've shown anything similar to our performances last season have been when we were using the diamond formation.

I do worry about the lack of goals in a 4231 formation, as no one in the team has scored over 15 league goals in their career when we're without Sturridge. Gerrard has but he's restricted in his attacking and scoring capabilities.

Lambert and Balotelli upfront in a diamond would give us more options than Balotelli upfront on his own, plus it allows our midfielders to play in a formation where they've excelled.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #23: Sep 06, 2014 05:03:25 pm
      Would Lambert and Ballo work well together?

Unknown. But apparently fed's crystal ball says no.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #24: Sep 06, 2014 05:12:33 pm
                           Sterling  Balotelli

Coutinho

Lallana                             Henderson

Gerrard
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #25: Sep 06, 2014 05:15:13 pm
      Its been tried again and again, and 4-2-3-1 does not work with a Gerrard Hendo double pivot. The double pivot is asking 2 midfielders to do the running work of 3 as it is, and Gerrard doesn't have the legs to be part of that 2 man midfield. If we were to play that formation, it would have to be with another Box to box midfielder.
      4-2-3-1 does not accommodate our strongest team, even with Sturridge injured.
      I heard that before from other posters and it's about time I refreshed people's memories.  We started the last season with 4231. We got 5 wins 0 draws 0 loses with it whilst Suarez was serving a 10 games ban. We changed formation to have Suarez back in the squad.  We were playing with a wierd 3-5-2. The 3-5-2 was absolutely horrible and then we switched to the diamond formation. The diamond formation can have 2 strikers, Sturridge is injured and would people prefer we play worse players just because we can't change formation? I don't see us as challenging for the title if we have this attitude that we must always play as a diamond since there will be times when we don't have the players tp do that due to injuries,  suspensions. .. etc... Some people on here said diamond formation with Balotelli and  Borini over a 4231. That's absurd.  I'd have a formation where Balotelli can play up top and Sterling can be number 10. Unless you want Lambert or Borini starting we must change the formation.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #26: Sep 06, 2014 05:25:22 pm
      Why would he need a crystal ball to state the obvious. Balotelli was statically the best lone striker in Europe last season.  He was not so good in AC Milans Diamond formation.  He found his space limited and pushef out wide at times. Balotelli as lone striker 0.842 goals a game.  With a strike partner 0.384. Another reason for 4-2-3-1 and not diamond formation.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #27: Sep 06, 2014 05:29:07 pm
      Balotelli was statically the best lone striker in Europe last season. 

I'd love to see those stats...
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #28: Sep 06, 2014 05:30:12 pm
      Unless you want Lambert or Borini starting we must change the formation.

How do you work that out? :roll:
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #29: Sep 06, 2014 05:33:26 pm
      http://anfieldasylum.sbnation.com/2014/8/25/6065489/tactical-analysis-balotelli-liverpool-and-the-two-striker-formation

On here it shows how Balotelli was much better as a lone striker.  One of the best in Europe. There are stats and it also says

As a lone striker, Balotelli was one of the best in Europe last season with his 0.842 goals per ninety placing him among the most productive at his position. But in a two-striker set-up, he was wasteful – firing off over four shots outside the box per 90 and hitting the target only a quarter of the time.

As mentioned before, you don't need a crystal ball for history. History states Balotelli would be beter as a lone striker, so fed is right to have doubts about him partnering up with Lambert. If we are so set on the diamond formation, I would hate to see Sterling moved out the nimbr 10 role he is world class at but here would be a reasonable solution.

Balotelli

Coutinho                  Sterling

Hendo

Gerrard   Allen

A bit different from our traditional diamond since it would see us with the diamond pushed up to the top.
      « Last Edit: Sep 06, 2014 05:50:10 pm by Ribapuru »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #30: Sep 06, 2014 05:48:48 pm
      Balotelli was statically the best lone striker in Europe last season.

So what was he: "the best" or "one of the best"?  :confused-smiley-013:

History states Balotelli would be beter as a lone striker
      History with another team and different players.

You might not need a crystal ball to know the past but you do to tell the future and that is the F***ing point BostonScouse was making.  :dunce2:

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #31: Sep 06, 2014 05:57:41 pm
      So what was he: "the best" or "one of the best"?  :confused-smiley-013:
      History with another team and different players.

You might not need a crystal ball to know the past but you do to tell the future and that is the f**king point he was making.  :dunce2:
      He was one of the best, I picked up on that when I read the article a second time. He was not so good in a strike partnership. I would still play Balotelli as a lone striker and have Lambert on the bench. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #32: Sep 06, 2014 05:58:24 pm
      I seriously don't see Sterling becoming a striker and Lambert siting on the bench.
      So, because you "don't see" it, we can't play a diamond without Lambert or Borini: is that correct?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion though.
      Indeed they are and normally those opinions are based on something. Surely people are "entitled" to ask what? You've based your opinion on something someone else has written [their opinion] which, in turn is based on 962 minutes football with a different team.

Surely you can see how tenuous it is to base future predictions on that?  :-\
      « Last Edit: Sep 06, 2014 06:09:52 pm by bad boy bubby »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #33: Sep 06, 2014 06:00:02 pm
      So, because you "don't see" it, we can't play a diamond without Lambert or Borini: is that correct?
      well, we can play a Diamond formation without Lambert or Borini but it would be 4-2-1-2-1 instead of 4-1-2-1-2 like before. This pushes the diamond up and has Balotelli as lone striker.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #34: Sep 06, 2014 06:09:32 pm
                 Lambert    Balotelli
                         Sterling

Lallana               Henderson

Gerrard
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #35: Sep 06, 2014 06:19:46 pm
      we can play a Diamond formation without Lambert or Borini
      So not only is Ballo only 'one' of the best but we actually can play the diamond without Lambert or Borini... fair enough.  :gt-happyup:
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #36: Sep 06, 2014 06:59:17 pm
      I would play Markovic, Sterling and Mario as our front three while he is out.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,235 posts | 752 
      Reply #37: Sep 06, 2014 07:01:59 pm
      This unfortunate injury to Daniel, throws up quite a few options, time for players to step up, and really prove they are good enough to play for the Reds.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #38: Sep 06, 2014 09:18:00 pm
      I heard that before from other posters and it's about time I refreshed people's memories.  We started the last season with 4231. We got 5 wins 0 draws 0 loses with it whilst Suarez was serving a 10 games ban. We changed formation to have Suarez back in the squad.  We were playing with a wierd 3-5-2. The 3-5-2 was absolutely horrible and then we switched to the diamond formation. The diamond formation can have 2 strikers, Sturridge is injured and would people prefer we play worse players just because we can't change formation? I don't see us as challenging for the title if we have this attitude that we must always play as a diamond since there will be times when we don't have the players tp do that due to injuries,  suspensions. .. etc... Some people on here said diamond formation with Balotelli and  Borini over a 4231. That's absurd.  I'd have a formation where Balotelli can play up top and Sterling can be number 10. Unless you want Lambert or Borini starting we must change the formation.

We did indeed start with a 4-2-3-1, but quickly changed as we realised that the midfield was not right (and many started moaning about Gerrard, incorrectly, as a result). I may be wrong as I'm not looking at the formation as I type, but we did not score more than 1 goal in single game we played 4-2-3-1 - all our higher scoring games were played with a 4-3-3.
      You correctly state that we don't have to play the diamond. I very much agree. 4-3-3 is good if we play Coutinho in CM, or 4-2-3-1 is good if we are resting Gerrard.

For space I shall assume the back five remain the same.

4-3-3 (trad):

----------------Balotelli-----------------
      Sterling------------------------Markovic

--------Allen*------------Hendo-------
      -----------------Gerrard--------------

4-3-3 (Christmas tree):

-----------Sterling---Coutinho**---------

-----Allen*----------------------Hendo------
      -----------------Gerrard--------------

4-2-3-1:

Sterling------Coutinho**-------Markovic

--------Allen*------------Hendo-------

* or Can (or even Lallana, if he is feeling up for playing a position he is not familiar with)

** or Lallana or move Sterling central and play Lallana out wide. Options eh?

If I do indeed have a point, it is that we should not default back to the diamond as necessarily the best formation. But the team composition and past performances should be taken into account. Gerrard has not suddenly become 5 years younger. It would not be playing to his innumerable strengths to play him in a 2 man midfield.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #39: Sep 06, 2014 10:00:25 pm
      So anyone know what the extent of the injury is yet?
      Thigh usually indicates the front and not the hammy, so hoping it's just a dead leg or something, and not a tear
      or pull.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #40: Sep 06, 2014 10:09:40 pm
                        Henderson        Gerrard

Lallana

Sterling          Balotelli        Markovic
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #41: Sep 06, 2014 11:30:31 pm
                        Henderson        Gerrard

Lallana

This.

Can't wait to see Markovic unleashed! He and Moreno down the left will tear teams apart.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #42: Sep 07, 2014 01:16:36 am
      F**k bringing in Lambert when we've got young Markovic or Lallana at our disposal. The former Bristol Rovers man can barely even run. He'd be so counter productive towards our playing style given the attributes he clearly lacks. He was bought simply to do a job off the bench if needed - I think that is pretty obvious. There is much in Lamberts game that Balotelli already possesses, but better.

I would go:

Gerrard
                 Hendo  Coutinho
      Markovic  Balotelli  Sterling

Or if Lallana is fit, maybe switch him with Markovic or Coutinho depending on form.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #43: Sep 07, 2014 01:24:54 am
      How would people feel about this team:

Gerrard
                 Hendo  Allen
      Lallana  Balotelli  Sterling
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #44: Sep 07, 2014 01:55:23 am
      How would people feel about this team:

Gerrard
                 Hendo  Allen
      Lallana  Balotelli  Sterling

Why would you waste a starting spot on Allen when we could fit Lallana AND Markovic in the side?
      gagan4016
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #45: Sep 07, 2014 08:13:05 am
      Considering same back line,

gerrard     can
                           hendo         
                 lallana           sterling
                           ballotelli

prefer E.Can for more physicality and for supporting Gerrard in defense. Markovich allen and lambert can be used as substitutes to rest some key players
      (Gerrard and Sterling ) 
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #46: Sep 07, 2014 09:00:20 am
                        Henderson        Gerrard

Lallana

It's be no secret that I love 4-3-3 mate so I'd be well up for that especially at home, against Villa.

Lallana or Coutinho at the front of the triangle. Or rest Stevie and play Hendo, Can and Lallana or Coutinho. We've certainly plenty of options.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #47: Sep 07, 2014 10:06:05 am
      Why would you waste a starting spot on Allen when we could fit Lallana AND Markovic in the side?

That is true. If all were on form I'd have to select Coutinho over Allen.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #48: Sep 07, 2014 10:27:24 am
      Anyway Mr Sturridge.any news?
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #49: Sep 07, 2014 01:29:19 pm
      Fucks sake!

It was inevitable we just need to manage through his absence.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #50: Sep 07, 2014 01:41:27 pm
      I have a sneaking suspicion that the silence is deafening on this one and the injury will turn out to be very, very minor. ;)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #51: Sep 07, 2014 02:56:18 pm
      I have a sneaking suspicion that the silence is deafening on this one and the injury will turn out to be very, very minor. ;)

I need to know for fantasy football purposes
      LFCexiled
      Reply #52: Sep 07, 2014 03:02:05 pm
      I need to know for fantasy football purposes

Maximum one match. ;D *

* The author cannot be held responsible for the loss of any points be they real or fantasized.  :P
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #53: Sep 07, 2014 03:17:25 pm
      Have we got the fastest team in the League?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #54: Sep 08, 2014 07:35:03 pm
      Wouldn't believe it would you. First Sturridge, now Hendo. Is this  'The Owls Revenge'  or what.
      What the fukc is he doing to our players.  Is he training in such a manner, that he sabotages our players, before he gets the chop for being the totally useless tw*t that he is. Is Stirling next ?  Screw the internationals, we always end up with injuries. Was quite a regular problem with Stevie over the years.
      Well pissed off me, as you may have guessed.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #55: Sep 10, 2014 09:45:55 am
      Balotelli was statically the best lone striker in Europe last season...

... Balotelli as lone striker 0.842 goals a game.

Now that he's a Red I wouldn't hold it against him, or anyone, Ribap and I know it was with different players in a different team but I'm curious to know; in that role ...

just how many of his goals were not penalties?

:confused-smiley-013:

Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #56: Sep 10, 2014 08:12:04 pm
      This is one game when I am not worried about Danny being missed. rest him.

Rickie will be perfect for this as they will not be able to handle him, we know they are quite a decent side, but if we shore up the back. Danny get your rest son.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #57: Sep 10, 2014 09:02:27 pm
      Echo saying he'll be back for the derby, might play a role at West Ham but unlikely.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #58: Sep 10, 2014 09:45:14 pm
      Was a bit sceptical about Balotelli, but boy am I glad we've got him now.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #59: Sep 11, 2014 02:44:40 pm
      Brendan confirming that Sturridge's injury could have been prevented if he'd stuck to the correct training schedule. He picked up the injury on what should have been a rest day.

Fair enough Sturridge has a hand in the decision too but it is the England camp who surely have a duty of care and while I'm disappointed I'm not surprised in the least to hear this.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #60: Sep 11, 2014 03:04:32 pm
      Since it's confirmed Stu is out for 2 weeks with a hammy and not a thigh injury shouldn't this thread be locked?

Edit: Contrary to reports Stu did his hamstring it is in fact a thigh injury as confirmed by Brendan.
      « Last Edit: Sep 11, 2014 05:42:02 pm by bazspeedman »
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #61: Sep 11, 2014 10:15:48 pm
      Next call up don't go...

It's all a waste of time anyhow!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #62: Sep 11, 2014 10:31:22 pm
      Brendan confirming that Sturridge's injury could have been prevented if he'd stuck to the correct training schedule. He picked up the injury on what should have been a rest day.

Fair enough Sturridge has a hand in the decision too but it is the England camp who surely have a duty of care and while I'm disappointed I'm not surprised in the least to hear this.

They played their best players for 90 minutes in a friendly when they had a qualifier three days later. It just beggars belief, downright moronic.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #63: Sep 12, 2014 01:53:52 am
      They played their best players for 90 minutes in a friendly when they had a qualifier three days later. It just beggars belief, downright moronic.

Aye, totally agree and made even worse by the latest revelations:

LFCTS ‏@LFCTS  3h
      Guardian - Sturridge has an active recovery session 2 days after a match. He asked England's coaching team but his request was rejected

LFCTS ‏@LFCTS  2h
      Guardian - Though Cahill sat out training that day with a fitness problem, DS was instructed to train instead. He later picked the injury.

F***ing pricks jeopardising the health of our player like that when clearly not doing it to Cahill will set the conspiracies spiraling no doubt. Rather than sink my teeth into those, which do have compelling arguments, I'll just say I hope we have now learned our lesson, both as a club and individually. One thing I always thought that Alcy c**t from the old toilet did get right was how he seemed to get his lads to feign injuries for international duty.

I would say that being biased of course but Studge needs to remember who butters his bread when he next has a choice to make.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,965 posts | 3944 
      Reply #64: Sep 12, 2014 07:53:56 am
      Kin L if I didn't know better I'd say that Hodgson was spitefully selecting LFC players and aggravating any fitness issues by playing them when not 100% match fit.
      I don't know better, the demented old b***ard is still fuming about the way he was humiliated and fu**ed off when LFC were not entirely happy the way he ran the club into the ground.
      It's a foregone conclusion he will eventually get the bullet as the national coach, he will run Studge and Henderson into the ground as a way of sabotaging the club who humiliated a man capable of F***ing up the England team as nobody else has done. 
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #65: Sep 12, 2014 08:03:40 am
      Was it a co-incidence that he left for 90minutes Sterling, hendo, sturridge( subbed  by Lambert at the endof the game) and rested his new captain- wilshire- chamberlain-cahill etc  in that useless friendly?

sometimes doubts come to your mind
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #66: Sep 12, 2014 10:04:24 am
      LFCTS ‏@LFCTS  3hGuardian - Sturridge has an active recovery session 2 days after a match. He asked England's coaching team but his request was rejectedLFCTS ‏
      @LFCTS  2hGuardian - Though Cahill sat out training that day with a fitness problem, DS was instructed to train instead. He later picked the injury.

Unf*cking-believable. The senile, bitter old b*stard manages to screw us over again as soon as he gets his grubby owl claws on our players. I'm fuming with this. It's not the first time and it won't be the last. Our lads need to feign injuries, boycott,pretend to be dead...anything not to play for the national team ever again, especially one that's led by the worst manager this club has ever had.

F*cking steaming pile of bitter turd.

#endofrant
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #67: Sep 12, 2014 10:22:23 am
      I read a piece of analysis about the England attitude towards players which made a lot of sense. The national team coaches are not as interested in the long term health of players as they should be because they only get a week or so to work with them. This results in trying to do as much work as possible in a short space of time, with too much expectation players in a small time frame. They want to win the next match at all costs, knowing that they won't have the the players again for a long while.

It's a disgrace and it's infuriating. BR is a classy man and does not have a habit of talking negatively about other teams, managers or players. The fact that he has come out publicly to criticise the national team speaks volumes about his feelings towards how they've handled his players. No doubt the FA will be p*ssed off at him and have an agenda about him, when instead they should be taking his advice to try and improve their way of handling the payers and therefore improving the relationship between the national team and clubs.

The more I think about it, the angrier I become.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #68: Sep 12, 2014 11:26:07 am
      Rodgers BLASTS Hodgson and england for the sturridge injury

This is the fourth injury the   forward has picked up while on international duty for Roy Hodgson’s side since moving to Liverpool in January last year.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/09/brendan-rodgers-blasts-england-daniel-sturridge-injury/

Brandan's interview to talksport (radio)>> 

http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-rodgers-questions-englands-handling-sturridge-injury-140911113111

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #69: Sep 12, 2014 12:09:14 pm
      F***ing fuming, just heard about how this injury happened.

That c**t of a man and his archaic regimes have seen us lose out to a preventable injury.

I'm F***ing livid.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,965 posts | 3944 
      Reply #70: Sep 12, 2014 12:55:44 pm
      F***ing fuming, just heard about how this injury happened.

That c**t of a man and his archaic regimes have seen us lose out to a preventable injury.

I'm F***ing livid.

The owl b***ard must have an agenda, it happens too often he crocks our lads every F***ing time.
      As someone said the best way is tell him they're off they're breakfasts or similar sh*te like Ferguson used to do, he got away with it for years.
      I know all about the players wishes and wanting to play for their country and the rest of that crap but the club is the priority, if you're F***ing livid imagine how the manager feels.
      Brendan should have a serious talk with the lads, the carry on with Stevie is a cautionary tale if ever there was one.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #71: Sep 12, 2014 01:39:58 pm
      The owl b***ard must have an agenda, it happens too often he crocks our lads every f**king time.
      As someone said the best way is tell him they're off they're breakfasts or similar sh*te like Ferguson used to do, he got away with it for years.
      I know all about the players wishes and wanting to play for their country and the rest of that crap but the club is the priority, if you're f**king livid imagine how the manager feels.
      Brendan should have a serious talk with the lads, the carry on with Stevie is a cautionary tale if ever there was one.

I'd like to think Brendan in no uncertain terms has personally told him what he thinks of Hodgson.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #72: Sep 12, 2014 01:57:16 pm
      I'd like to think Brendan in no uncertain terms has personally told him what he thinks of Hodgson.

I hope so. He has far too much class to pick up the phone and tell the owl what an old, bitter, clueless, average, resentful, pathetic dinosaur he is...but I hope he did.
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #73: Sep 12, 2014 02:06:48 pm
      Whom? Tell Sturridge what he thinks of Hodgson you mean?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,965 posts | 3944 
      Reply #74: Sep 12, 2014 02:15:58 pm

I think they're well aware of BR's views about the F***ing eejit who makes his job regularly harder and harder to carry out.
      I am convinced it is by intention for the most obvious reason.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #75: Dec 10, 2014 02:22:03 pm
      Cannot wait until this thread gets locked. Hurry up Dan!
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #76: Dec 11, 2014 12:50:04 pm
      When is he expected back?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #77: Dec 11, 2014 12:55:41 pm

After the new year. That's something completely different to when he definitely will be back though, now that could be at literally any stage of the season.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #78: Dec 11, 2014 02:26:28 pm
      After the new year. That's something completely different to when he definitely will be back though, now that could be at literally any stage of the season.
      Or next season.

Quick Reply