Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Paul Scholes

Read 9540 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Paul Scholes
      Sep 08, 2014 09:30:53 pm
      Right...

I can't be the only one who thinks that Scholes is easily the most over rated player of all time. The second he came back from retirement people started to talk about his passing being as good as Xavi etc. The main reason for this is one man, Andrea Pirlo.

Many thought Pirlo was done but now seems better than ever at such an advanced age. People seem to think that sitting back and pinging a few nice passes  makes you world class now. Scholes did nothing more and nothing less than this over his last few years.

He can't tackle, his shooting was irrational at best, sure he could ping a nice pass every now and again but was that really enough to warrent someone who has been overshadowed his entire career by others such as Keane and Beckham at United or Gerrard and Lampard for England.

Paul Scholes being anything more than an average player is a myth, he's a Chuck Norris figure in my eyes... Yea he's good for his age but is he really any good... Was there really a time when he was head and shoulders above the rest in his position at club or country level? If not then the answer is simple... He isn't world class, he never has been and this entire "Paul Scholes hit a penny from 100 metres away with his left foot" needs to go away before people start believing it's worth their time talking about him in the same breath as a Pirlo type figure.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Paul Scholes
      Reply #1: Sep 08, 2014 09:33:33 pm
      Here here, pisses me off how some people say Scholes was the best midfielder in England and the PL era, bla bla bla.

His passing was great but i don't think it surpassed Gerrards or Alonso's and unlike Scholes Gerrard has much more to his game.

Really don't understand the hype and glad another feels the same.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #2: Sep 08, 2014 09:41:47 pm
      His passing was on another level to most English players. Gerrard can match his passing but I think Scholes' passing was brilliant, and I think Scholes' passing was more consistent.

He's inferior in his other qualities but his passing was unbelievable.

He probably isn't as good as Gerrard but calling him average is just delusional and stupid. He's an exceptional player. Even Xavi and Iniesta have called him the best midfielder of the last 20 years. I get we're biased, but this is a new level of delusional.

Paul Scholes being anything more than an average player is a myth,

He's doing something right having won 11 Premier League titles, 2 Champions League when playing in one of the most important positions on the pitch by being just "average".

Average? What bullshit.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #3: Sep 08, 2014 09:46:42 pm
      Fantastic player in his prime, one of the best passers around and yes, better than Stevie's passing IMO. Also was a real goal threat in his prime and contributed massively to the mancs in the late 90's, early 2000's.

Outside of his passing his other attributes were nowhere near the level of e.g Stevie, however the mancs utilised him in a way to make sure his best assets were always in use.

Personally I would say he was always just below that world class level, but he was a fantastic player.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4: Sep 08, 2014 09:48:02 pm
      I think he was a fantastic player in all honesty. England would kill to have a passer of the ball in his mould once more. Gerrard is the more romantic, heroic and spectacular player but for the pragmatist I think people look to Scholes. In hindsight he was horribly misused by Sven during his late England days 10 years ago. Putting him out on the left hand side was a killer. Must have been frustrating for the guy.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #5: Sep 08, 2014 09:49:04 pm
      His passing was on another level to most English players. Gerrard can match his passing but I think Scholes' passing was brilliant, and I think Scholes' passing was more consistent.

He's inferior in his other qualities but his passing was unbelievable.

He probably isn't as good as Gerrard but calling him average is just delusional and stupid. He's an exceptional player. Even Xavi and Iniesta have called him the best midfielder of the last 20 years. I get we're biased, but this is a new level of delusional.

He's doing something right having won 11 Premier League titles, 2 Champions League when playing in one of the most important positions on the pitch by being just "average".

Average? What bullshit.

I mean average in that... He wasn't terrible (obviously) and he wasn't someone to set the world on fire, a decent player who did his job and has had a very successful career. But he wasn't world class ever, he was good (average) but never great.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6: Sep 08, 2014 09:52:20 pm
      Quality player no doubt about it
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #7: Sep 08, 2014 09:59:03 pm
      Dirty snidey tw*t for me, overshadowed the finer points of his game.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #8: Sep 08, 2014 10:10:56 pm
      Dirty little b***ard but I actually think he was a bit under rated rather than the other way round.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #9: Sep 08, 2014 10:23:38 pm
      Dirty little b***ard but I actually think he was a bit under rated rather than the other way round.

Agree Si, when they had that midfield of Keane/Scholes/Beckham/Giggs I always thought he was the one that got the least attention when actually he was the glue that held it altogether.

Not many put him in their top players to play in the prem but I would have to admit he'd be right near the top in my list.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #10: Sep 08, 2014 10:26:14 pm
      I never got the hype, he was mediocre and did nothing to blow my mind, played it safe and is highly overrated.
      Seemed a bit dumb too, not even saying that just because he played for the mancs.
      I always expected to see something amazing because of all the hype and constant admiration of his godly skills and vision etc, sky sports and Andy Gray creaming in his nappy over him every given chance, rammed into our brains that he was so special.
      In reality he was a: cocky, sly, safe-passing, dumb, slow ginger ponce.
      He has a few medals like but I think Man U were funded more and coerced their success through bullying,  manipulation and officials in thier pocket.
       Overall the power structure were in line with making them get what they wanted.
      Much like orginised crime, massive amounts of money in football for the most manipulative and ruthless adversary.
      I'll always believe Man u were and probably still are corrupt. Not because I'm a sore loser but it was all there to see, banning the press, berating refs... no other club could of got away with that without punishment from the people who run the league.

It may seem far fetched but think about it like a politics, becauee it became political when the sky sports era came in. News/ media mogal= corrupt to F**k.

Unrelated but Sepp Blatter for instance is a shady politician not a football man for example.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #11: Sep 08, 2014 10:53:43 pm
      Think Scholes was a top 5 central midfielder in the PL for about 4/5 years from 99-04 but never world class on account of his piss poor tackling. If he had that in his locker he may have been borderline world class.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #12: Sep 11, 2014 07:48:53 pm
      I can't be the only one who thinks that Scholes is easily the most over rated player of all time. The second he came back from retirement people started to talk about his passing being as good as Xavi etc. The main reason for this is one man, Andrea Pirlo.

What Xavi has to say about Paul Scholes:

Paul Scholes receives special praise: ‘In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen — the most complete — is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything.

.‘He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more.’
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1355726/Xavi-interview-Paul-Scholes-best-midfielder-20-years.html

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #13: Sep 11, 2014 09:02:26 pm
      What Xavi has to say about Paul Scholes:

Paul Scholes receives special praise: ‘In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen — the most complete — is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything.

.‘He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more.’
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1355726/Xavi-interview-Paul-Scholes-best-midfielder-20-years.html

Staying neutral and putting Stevie out of this discussion two words alone give lie to Xavi's interpretation: -

Zinedine Zidane

Get your coat Xavi
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #14: Sep 11, 2014 09:40:23 pm
       :couch: I'll never get over seeing his Willy falling out the side of his shorts! Still have nightmares!  :f_wah:
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #15: Sep 11, 2014 09:40:51 pm
      Staying neutral and putting Stevie out of this discussion two words alone give lie to Xavi's interpretation: -

Zinedine Zidane

Get your coat Xavi

Now there's a man who was genuine World Class!! Said in my earlier post that Scholes was always in that bracket just under World Class, but Zidane was head and shoulders above anyone else at that time, only Ronaldo was near him.

Nostalgia!!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #16: Sep 12, 2014 01:04:16 am
      Unbelievable little player. To pretend otherwise is just daft.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #17: Sep 12, 2014 11:33:35 am
      :couch: I'll never get over seeing his Willy falling out the side of his shorts! Still have nightmares!  :f_wah:

Hahaha little ginger pr**k, hate to say I told you so.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #18: Sep 12, 2014 11:55:13 am
      All I can say is, if he played in our shade of red we'd be calling him a legend too.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #19: Sep 12, 2014 01:03:42 pm
      Hate to admit it,  he was a great player, had he wore our red he'd be legend status I agree,  however he was a dirty wee b***ard too, and because he kept a low profile opinions of him are somewhat diluted Imo,

His passing,  vision and general all round play were exceptional but to say he was world class would be exaggerated,  top player, glad the wee ginger f**ker has retired.

YNWA
      RedRepublican
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts |
      Reply #20: Oct 07, 2014 09:39:00 pm
      It always struck me that Scholes seemed really highly rated within the game by players and managers. By all accounts his technical skill was exceptional. Take a look at some of these plaudits:

http://www.givemesport.com/344869-paul-scholes-the-best-quotes

All that said, would I swap Scholes at his peak for our Stevie at his peak? ;D - not a chance!
       :kop5cf8koxp6:
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #21: Oct 08, 2014 03:49:43 am
      All that said, would I swap Scholes at his peak for our Stevie at his peak?  - not a chance!

Who is initiating the swap?
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #22: Oct 08, 2014 05:16:15 pm
      If he TRULY was as good as these mostly phabticated chuck Norris esk quotes then he wouldn't have been pushed out of position for England and United. Good player? Aye. One of the best? Not even close
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #23: Oct 08, 2014 06:06:47 pm
      One of the best yes! But only in a sh*t team at Old Toilet.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #24: Oct 08, 2014 06:30:31 pm

I know what you mean.

BOOOM!!  ;D
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #25: Oct 08, 2014 07:23:28 pm
      Oh ye b***ard!  :blush:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #26: Oct 08, 2014 09:42:14 pm
      Must have been a cold night at the Brittani :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #27: Oct 08, 2014 10:10:00 pm
      If he TRULY was as good as these mostly phabticated chuck Norris esk quotes then he wouldn't have been pushed out of position for England and United. Good player? Aye. One of the best? Not even close

I think that say's more about the England coaching the Schols himself though mate.

DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #28: Oct 10, 2014 02:05:19 am
      scholes is deservingly a legend.   He in his prime can go toe to toe with anyone.  I am a red through and through but even I can see he is quite amazing. 

If he was a Liverpool legend, he would be ranked right up there with the greatest.  a loyal servant, doesn't take sh*t from anyone and a fantastic football brain.  Great combination imo

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #29: Oct 11, 2014 10:13:01 am
       :couch:

Zinedine Zidane

Get your coat Xavi
      Zidane is and was the most over rated player of all time, good in slow motion clips but went missing in a lot of run of the mill games :0) :couch:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #30: Oct 11, 2014 12:19:54 pm
      I can't be the only one who thinks that Scholes is easily the most over rated player of all time.
      He's very close Mags but Beckham just shades it.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #31: Oct 11, 2014 01:18:37 pm
      Boring little runt
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #32: Oct 11, 2014 09:51:10 pm
      :couch:Zidane is and was the most over rated player of all time, good in slow motion clips but went missing in a lot of run of the mill games :0) :couch:

Oh no you didn't
      Zidane was the greatest of them all

On Scholes it can't be a coincidence that countless pros (Pirlo, Xavi, Zidane, Henry) talk about him glowingly. Outstanding player who got better with age
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #33: Oct 12, 2014 02:55:18 pm
      Oh no you didn't
      Zidane was the greatest of them all

On Scholes it can't be a coincidence that countless pros (Pirlo, Xavi, Zidane, Henry) talk about him glowingly. Outstanding player who got better with age

Agree with both of them!

Couldn't tackle for sh*t, but was a very good player.

Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #34: Oct 18, 2014 11:05:13 pm

I've never seen that before. What is seen cannot be unseen  :mad: :mad

Quick Reply