Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. What will the result be?

Liverpool win?
      104 (93.7%)
      Draw?
      4 (3.6%)
      Villa win?
      3 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Pre-Match Thread: Liverpool V Aston Villa

Read 14655 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Pre-Match Thread: Liverpool V Aston Villa
      Sep 09, 2014 08:05:37 pm

At Anfield record: (%)
      Liverpool    55    61.11
      Aston Villa    16    17.78
      Draws    19    21.11

Last 3 seasons at Anfield
      14: Liverpool    2 - 2    Aston Villa
      13: Liverpool    1 - 3    Aston Villa
      12: Liverpool    1 - 1    Aston Villa (I attended this match, it was the one and only match I watched live)

Highest Aggregate:           9    Liverpool     3 - 6    Aston Villa    1914/1915
      Highest Liverpool score:    6    Liverpool     6 - 1    Aston Villa    1953/1954
      Highest Aston Villa score:    6    Aston Villa     6 - 1    Liverpool    1931/1932

This is not an easy match guys. Any win is vital

I would play like this:

Mignolet
      Manquillo        Lovren           Sakho         Moreno

Gerrard                  Henderson
                                   Sterling
                Lallana                           Markovic
                                 Balotelli

Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Re: Pre-Match Thread: Liverpool V Aston Villa
      Reply #1: Sep 09, 2014 08:35:36 pm
      I would put Sterling on the right against Cissokho, could be fun. I dont know why all of a sudden, Coutinho isnt getting into anyone's team here. Given that he tracks back good and can connect with Stevie & the forwards, I would be tempted to play him on the left side of a 4-3-3. Something like this

Migs
      Manquillo-Lovren-Sakho-Moreno
      Gerrard
      Henderson-Coutinho
      Sterling-Mario-Lallana

Bench - Lambert, Markovic, Can, Allen, Johnson, Toure, Jones

I kinda feel we can switch to a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2 diamond during the course of the game. Guess Villa will play a 4-4-2 diamond with Delph at the base, Nzogbia behind Weimann and Agbonlahor, plus Cleverley and Richardson as the mids.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2: Sep 09, 2014 09:05:43 pm
                   Mignolet

Manquillo Sakho Lovern Moreno

Can    Gerrard    Lallana

Markovic

Balotelli      Lambert

Reason for not playing Sterling = hes 19 lets not burn him out

Reason for not playing Hendo = Played last night despite having a knock rest him ahead of champions league and a tough away game at West ham

Reason for not playing Allen =  Playing tonight rest him and it allows Lallana get a run. Id also love to see Suso get a run for 20/25 minutes coming on for Lallana
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #3: Sep 09, 2014 09:13:30 pm
      F***ing hate Villa. Always seem to play well at Anfield those fuckers.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: Sep 09, 2014 09:31:41 pm
      I would put Sterling on the right against Cissokho, could be fun. I dont know why all of a sudden, Coutinho isnt getting into anyone's team here. Given that he tracks back good and can connect with Stevie & the forwards, I would be tempted to play him on the left side of a 4-3-3. Something like this

Migs
      Manquillo-Lovren-Sakho-Moreno
      Gerrard
      Henderson-Coutinho
      Sterling-Mario-Lallana

Bench - Lambert, Markovic, Can, Allen, Johnson, Toure, Jones

I kinda feel we can switch to a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2 diamond during the course of the game. Guess Villa will play a 4-4-2 diamond with Delph at the base, Nzogbia behind Weimann and Agbonlahor, plus Cleverley and Richardson as the mids.

Think Cou is playing in Brazil tomorrow night mate.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5: Sep 09, 2014 11:15:56 pm
      This is a game where we will get an indication of how Brendan is going to juggle his squad during this season. International break just gone and CL football back next week means our starting line up may not be as clear cut as we'd normally think especially going by last season.

We have a squad strong enough to make changes and home to Villa in between internationals and CL is exactly the type of game we bought in so many players for this summer.

Back four should stay the same for me so that they build up a bit of understanding and I think the boss will feel the same but it's ahead of there that will be the most interesting.

Mignolet

Manquillo  Lovren  Sakho  Moreno

Gerrard

Can           Allen

Markovic  Balotelli  Lallana

AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #6: Sep 10, 2014 12:03:29 am
      Mignolet
      Manquillo - Lovren - Sakho - Moreno
      Gerrard - Can
      Lallana - Sterling - Markovic
      Balotelli
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #7: Sep 10, 2014 12:24:26 am
      This could be our hardest game of the season so far. Villa are unbeaten in the league and have gave us  hard game when they've came to Anfield in the last 3 seasons so I'd take any kind of win,have a feeling it'll be another 2-2. Hope I'm wrong though. I'd go with the same line up in the opening post and I'm going to let my heart rule my head and say we'll win 2-1 late in the game like we did against Southampton.
      « Last Edit: Sep 10, 2014 01:18:18 am by TheShanklyGates »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8: Sep 10, 2014 12:40:01 am
      This could be our hardest game of the season. Villa are unbeaten in the league and have gave us  hard game when they've came to Anfield in the last 3 seasons so I'd take any kind of win,have a feeling it'll be another 2-2. Hope I'm wrong though. I'd go with the same line up in the opening post and I'm going to let my heart rule my head and say we'll win 2-1 late in the game like we did against Southampton.

We've played some terrible formations when they've come though. It was Stevie's first run at his new position last time I believe. Also, hardest game of the season? Can't agree with that I'm afraid we've got a lot more difficult games than this. We must get the 3 points if we're serious about challenging for the title again, especially without CL fatigue grinding on us yet.

I think we'll manage to though, I think we've got a squad plenty strong enough to cope with our international injuries.

3-0 to the reds, Balo with his first for us, Markovic and Sterling would be ideal in my eyes. Looking forward to Lallana's potential debut too, been very intrigued how Brendan is going to utilise him after being very underwhelmed with how he played in the world cup under the owl's gaze.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #9: Sep 10, 2014 12:42:09 am
      I have a bad feeling about this game .... for Aston Villa that is. We will smash goals in!

Mignolet

Manquillo             Sakho       Lovren             Enrique

Can        Gerrard

Coutinho

Markovic                       Sterling

Lambert

Leaving    Moreno, Skertl, Lucas, Henderson and Balotelli on the bench ready to come straight in for the CL in place of Can,
      Markovic, Enrique, Lambert and Coutinho.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #10: Sep 10, 2014 12:45:25 am
      Sorry I meant Sakho out of CL not Markovic
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #11: Sep 10, 2014 01:17:16 am
      We've played some terrible formations when they've come though. It was Stevie's first run at his new position last time I believe. Also, hardest game of the season? Can't agree with that I'm afraid we've got a lot more difficult games than this. We must get the 3 points if we're serious about challenging for the title again, especially without CL fatigue grinding on us yet.

I think we'll manage to though, I think we've got a squad plenty strong enough to cope with our international injuries.

3-0 to the reds, Balo with his first for us, Markovic and Sterling would be ideal in my eyes. Looking forward to Lallana's potential debut too, been very intrigued how Brendan is going to utilise him after being very underwhelmed with how he played in the world cup under the owl's gaze.

Sorry I meant hardest game of the season so far. Hadn't realised my mistake. Will fix it now.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #12: Sep 10, 2014 02:34:23 am
      Mignolet

Manquillo
      Lovren
      Sakho
      Moreno

Gerrard
      Henderson
      Lallana

Markovic
      Sterling

Balotelli

Jones, Toure, Enrique, Can, Coutinho, Borini, Lambert.

Villa are always a bunch of tough bas**rds. They'll sit back, use Weimann and Agbonlahor on the counter and hope we play poor in defence. Need an early goal in this one.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #13: Sep 10, 2014 06:45:45 am
       To be honest ,,I don't care who BR plays as long as a BIG win is achieved
        but I would love

to see markovic- coutinho-- sterling and lallana   together playing at some time of the game ,if not from the start ( which is unlikely)

YNWA
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #14: Sep 10, 2014 07:17:47 am
      Mignolet
      Manquillo - Lovren - Sakho - Moreno
      Gerrard - Can
      Lallana - Sterling - Markovic
      Balotelli

I'd love to see that team play, good selection!
      Only thing may be; Lallana mightn't be ready to start just yet, he surely must be nearly there though. Just dying to see him and Can play and with Markovic in there makes me realise how great our sqaud is now.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #15: Sep 10, 2014 07:50:59 am
      This could be our hardest game of the season so far. Villa are unbeaten in the league and have gave us  hard game when they've came to Anfield in the last 3 seasons so I'd take any kind of win,have a feeling it'll be another 2-2. Hope I'm wrong though. I'd go with the same line up in the opening post and I'm going to let my heart rule my head and say we'll win 2-1 late in the game like we did against Southampton.

Yup harder than City........! Get real if we should be beating Villa at home comfortably if we have learnt our lessons from the last couple of years. Their two best players Vlaar and Benteke are out so no excuses.

LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16: Sep 10, 2014 08:19:09 am
      I know it was only his 1st DM game but Weimann really pulled Gerrards pants down last season. I would have Lucas playing along side.... Ha relax Im kidding. I would have Hendo sticking close to Stevie though to make sure he isnt getting the run around. Stevie finds is easier when he can drop deeper in between the 2 CBs and spray the ball around - the only thing about that is the distance between him and hendo for support.

Would start 4-1-2-3 with sterling out the right of the 3 and Lallana in the no.10 role and swap them around if things arent going to plan. Markovic on the left of the front 3 and Balo in the middle. Could be a game to refer back to the diamond with Borini starting up top with Balo - doubt it though, would still like to see it happen - maybe in the cup games.

Big match, and pain in the hole team to play against. On our day we are lions hunting in packs. Lets make sure we are on our day.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #17: Sep 10, 2014 09:24:39 am
      Feel confident going into this match because Clint started the Match thread. Nice one bud.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #18: Sep 10, 2014 10:36:41 am
      Wow, our record against them at home really is poor. Needs sorting on Saturday!

Mignolet

Manquillo
      Lovren
      Sakho
      Moreno

Gerrard
      Henderson
      Lallana

Markovic
      Sterling

Balotelli

This team for me as well, hope Lallana is fit enough to start.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #19: Sep 10, 2014 11:10:43 am
      Could be a tricky game but if we play like we did at Spurs then we should win it comfortably.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #20: Sep 10, 2014 11:26:26 am
                              Mignolet
      Manquillo  Lovren  Sakho  Moreno
                               Gerrard
                     Henderson     Can
         Markovic                         Coutinho
                                Balotelli

Sterling looked like he was struggling a bit against The Swiss, would like him fit for CL, also he could make a difference from the bench.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #21: Sep 10, 2014 11:39:04 am
      Think Cou is playing in Brazil tomorrow night mate.

He played like 20 odd mins but still he is back what on Thursday morning or something? Markovic, Sterling, Hendo, Allen all played 90 mins. Borini and Lallana off Mario wouldn't be a bad choice either but neither has played any competitive football so far. Will be fascinating to see who BR puts in the starting 11

Oh, just read Emre Can also played in an U21s game against Romania. Apparently the guy had 3 assists and absolutely bossed the midfield. Good signs
      « Last Edit: Sep 10, 2014 12:32:23 pm by Vicks86 »
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #22: Sep 10, 2014 12:39:44 pm
      Oh, just read Emre Can also played in an U21s game against Romania. Apparently the guy had 3 assists and absolutely bossed the midfield. Good signs

Been hearing some really negative feedback from his training and fitness levels. Apparently hes not near up to expected work rate. Did look like he was running through mud when he came on against City or Saints.

Quick Reply