Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Do you Believe?

Read 17385 times
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Do you Believe?
      Sep 14, 2014 11:49:18 pm
      Just another one of those questions about life that sits on the mind  :)

Do you believe in God? A different higher power? Or nothing at all?

(Can't find any other topic based on this on the forum but if there is my apologies for starting an unnecessary thread)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Re: Do you Believe?
      Reply #1: Sep 14, 2014 11:55:14 pm
      I don't.

I was brought up in a Presbyterian background and had to goto church every week but in my late teens just thought that I couldn't go on 'believeing'.

I've no real probelm with anyone of any religion that has faith and believes in a god but at this point in my life I don''t believe there is.

Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #2: Sep 15, 2014 12:01:00 am
      I was brought up as a Catholic, although not in an overly religious way. I wasn't forced to go to church etc every week but I attended a Catholic school and as such was taught to believe in God. I was unsure until my early teens, but as soon as my brain got to the age of functioning enough to be able to think logically, I passed it off as totally crazy, and utterly idiotic.

I understand why people use religion in cases such as loss of a family member or friend, as comfort.

There's a big difference between faith and blind faith, and religion is essentially 100% blind faith, which I have a serious disdain for.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3: Sep 15, 2014 12:02:43 am
      Yes I do, when you look at the perfect balance of the universe,how if gravity,or any number of forces, was out by just a few thousands of a percent it wouldn't exist or look at the beautiful simplicity and order of nature then I can't see how anyone  can fail to believe in a higher power.

Plus I see atheism as to depressing and bleak, which is probably why so many of them convert to a religion on their deathbeds.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #4: Sep 15, 2014 12:04:17 am
      Yes I do, when you look at the perfect balance of the universe,how if gravity,or any number of forces, was out by just a few thousands of a percent it wouldn't exist or look at the beautiful simplicity and order of nature then I can't see how anyone  can fail to believe in a higher power.

I think it's much easier to believe in the science behind gravity etc than some 'higher power' that has an affect on our world.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #5: Sep 15, 2014 12:24:51 am
      There's a big difference between faith and blind faith, and religion is essentially 100% blind faith, which I have a serious disdain for.

I'm not trying to start an argument when I say this but I disagree with that part. I don't think religion is 100% blind faith. Blind faith is when you just plainly hope there's something there. There are people, like myself, who don't just 'hope' there's something there, we kinda 'feel' there's something there. I know that I might be coming off as a religious loon when I say that but that's genuinely how I feel about it.

Plus I see atheism as to depressing and bleak, which is probably why so many of them convert to a religion on their deathbeds.

This. The order of nature IS a prime example of a 'creator' if nothing else. There's very little chance, almost impossible, that it randomly came into order. The whole distance between the earth and sun and moon is also a good example when speaking about 'perfect balance'.

http://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html

The first part there explains all that :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #6: Sep 15, 2014 12:28:24 am
      This. The order of nature IS a prime example of a 'creator' if nothing else. There's very little chance, almost impossible, that it randomly came into order. The whole distance between the earth and sun and moon is also a good example when speaking about 'perfect balance'.

An interesting point.

See I think that there is more chance of this 'order' as you put it being due to science rather than a 'creator' as I cannot believe someone or something created the universe.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #7: Sep 15, 2014 12:28:54 am
      Excellent topic & excellent points raised.

I believe in a creator & that we were created for purpose, bit daft those who think once your dead that's it.

LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #8: Sep 15, 2014 12:32:05 am
      An interesting point.

See I think that there is more chance of this 'order' as you put it being due to science rather than a 'creator' as I cannot believe someone or something the universe.

I see where you coming from with this. If I could pose a question: Do you believe in the Big Bang?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #9: Sep 15, 2014 12:32:10 am
      bit daft those who think once your dead that's it.

Is it really though Shabs?

I believe once I die that is it as I cannot comprehend anything happening to me after my death.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #10: Sep 15, 2014 12:36:28 am
      Is it really though Shabs?

I believe once I die that is it as I cannot comprehend anything happening to me after my death.

Si, you really think we will die & not meet our loved ones & friends once more? Surely this is part of living and facing the inevitable.

This life is a journey & through this journey what we earn will be our reward in the hereafter.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #11: Sep 15, 2014 12:39:32 am
      Si, you really think we will die & not meet our loved ones & friends once more? Surely this is part of living and facing the inevitable.

At this point in my life mate I really do believe that. I think about it quite a bit and can't get my head around any other 'theory' to be honest.

My parents are pretty religious as I said above and I was brought up in church so it's not as if I haven't got anything to base my thoughts on but right now I think once my body has given up that is it for me.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #12: Sep 15, 2014 12:42:14 am

This life is a journey & through this journey what we earn will be our reward in the hereafter.

Very well said Shabs. Exactly how I feel about it all. And thanks for the +1 ;)

The afterlife and what happens in it or who/what we become does sound illogical but just because you don't understand it doesn't mean you should dismiss the idea of it. Even I have trouble trying to understand what's it all about.

Just think about this:
      https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10649800_10152649196916840_7885245104279153817_n.jpg?oh=8eef63d38846eab3dc60f9a81985859e&oe=54C91C5B&__gda__=1419140878_03d07243e92f534004fa8ef4703218c0
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #13: Sep 15, 2014 12:43:22 am
      At this point in my life mate I really do believe that. I think about it quite a bit and can't get my head around any other 'theory' to be honest.

My parents are pretty religious as I said above and I was brought up in church so it's not as if I haven't got anything to base my thoughts on but right now I think once my body has given up that is it for me.

Do you believe that there was a man called Jesus?.

Do you think Jesus was a liar or fraud?.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #14: Sep 15, 2014 12:47:23 am
      Very well said Shabs. Exactly how I feel about it all. And thanks for the +1 ;)

The afterlife and what happens in it or who/what we become does sound illogical but just because you don't understand it doesn't mean you should dismiss the idea of it. Even I have trouble trying to understand what's it all about.

I never dismiss anything and actually think about this quite a lot, as I'm sure many of you lot do, but for me this is how I think right now.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,205 posts | 1208 
      Reply #15: Sep 15, 2014 12:52:34 am
      Some choose to ascribe the combination of factors necessary to sustain life on earth to the design of a supernatural entity, but our existence is as mystifying as it is precarious. So we have to ask: if an asteroid extinguished all life on earth, would that still be evidence of a creator? Presumably not. Then why ascribe all that is unique and seemingly so unlikely about the universe and our place in it to a higher being? Why even conceive of such a thing?
      « Last Edit: Sep 15, 2014 01:09:16 am by -LFC- »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #16: Sep 15, 2014 12:56:14 am
      Do you believe that there was a man called Jesus?.

Do you think Jesus was a liar or fraud?.

I do believe there was a man called Jesus.

I'm not entirely sure how I would label him mate and liar and fraud seem too strong for me. I think at best the things he did have been exaggerated as time has went on especially by those who wrote about him who were close to him.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #17: Sep 15, 2014 12:56:27 am
      Things start getting complicated when bringing in the 'ifs', -LFC-. We could pose any question and use it to our argumentative advantage like you did.

LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #18: Sep 15, 2014 12:59:44 am

I'm not entirely sure how I would label him mate and liar and fraud seem too strong for me. I think at best the things he did have been exaggerated as time has went on especially by those who wrote about him who were close to him.

I find it interesting how the Muslims and Christians both have similar scriptures about a 'Prophet' e.g. A Muslim believes in the religion of Jesus but sees mainline Christianity as a religion constructed about Jesus. The majority of Christians deify Jesus while Muslims say that he was a great prophet & messenger of Allah.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #19: Sep 15, 2014 01:00:12 am
      I never dismiss anything and actually think about this quite a lot, as I'm sure many of you lot do, but for me this is how I think right now.

Si, when you have a pain in you arm for example, you cant see the pain but you can feel it, it's just like believing, just because we may not see it does not mean it does not exist.

As a Muslim I can't follow my faith Islam unless i believe in Jesus, now each prophet was sent with a miracle to his nation, Jesus was given the ability to heal the blind, cure the lepers & raise the dead through the will of the creator, through this will Jesus raised the dead and one spoke to Jesus and told Jesus he had been dead for eighty years & still feels the pangs of death on his tongue & would love to return & worship his lord.

if a meteorite extinguished all life on earth, would that still be evidence of a creator? Presumably not. Then why ascribe all that is unique and seemingly so unlikely about the universe and our place in it to a higher being? Why even conceive of such a thing?

Maybe the meteorite was sent by the creator to wipe us all out and replace us with another creation? ie; Dinosaurs.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #20: Sep 15, 2014 01:01:31 am
      I find it interesting how the Muslims and Christians both have similar scriptures about a 'Prophet' e.g. A Muslim believes in the religion of Jesus but sees mainline Christianity as a religion constructed about Jesus. The majority of Christians deify Jesus while Muslims say that he was a great prophet & messenger of Allah.

It is interesting.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #21: Sep 15, 2014 01:03:19 am
      Si, when you have a pain in you arm for example, you cant see the pain but you can feel it, it's just like believing, just because we may not see it does not mean it does not exist.

But my brain tells me that my arm is in pain.

My brain isn't telling me there is a god.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #22: Sep 15, 2014 01:11:00 am
      But my brain tells me that my arm is in pain.

My brain isn't telling me there is a god.

That's because you have not reached a point in your life where you seek God, seek and you will find.

Quick Reply