Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Do you Believe?

Read 17391 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Re: Do you Believe?
      Reply #46: Sep 15, 2014 12:12:32 pm
      I believe in magic.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #47: Sep 15, 2014 12:20:14 pm
      Maybe? I just don't feel like worshiping something, if it exists, that has created out of its own will an imperfect world. It was either a very lousy job or we might be great entertainment.

So do you consider your sense of self awareness imperfect, or how about the way a baby grows to be a living sentient being from just a few cells, is that also imperfect? How about the delicate cosmic balance, and yes it really is very very very delicate where if just one factor amongst thousands was out by the tiniest amount if would all collapse. Just look around you everyday at the majesty and perfection of nature and ask if it can be truly random. I consider myself to have a very scientific outlook on life but I just cannot believe that life and existence is random and an accident, the odds against it are truly astronomical.

Anyway everyone is entitled to their views.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #48: Sep 15, 2014 12:23:00 pm
      I believe in the science that made the planet possible, the evolution of all species on it and that man will destroy it all eventually.  If the meteor doesn't get us first if course  ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #49: Sep 15, 2014 12:30:19 pm
      I believe in the science that made the planet possible, the evolution of all species on it and that man will destroy it all eventually.  If the meteor doesn't get us first if course  ;)

The bas**rds will have the lasts laugh, running around hysterical with mad eyes and them posters that tell us 'the end is nigh repent sinners' - then they get destroyed as well.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #50: Sep 15, 2014 01:13:31 pm
      Do you believe that there was a man called Jesus?.

Do you think Jesus was a liar or fraud?.

Yes.

I think he was the world's first drug dealer, how else did he cure everyone, that 40 days and 40 nights in a desert and being visited by the devil - he was just tripping his balls off on LSD and mushrooms. He had a posse!

On the original question, no I don't believe in God. If he were real he's a bit of a tw*t and you'd think he'd at least get a bit of copyrighting going on so that Mohammed or Budda fella couldn't get in on the gig!

He already did it, buddy. 65 million years ago. Your man is lethal.

He's got F**k all on this fella.

This man created the most powerful entity in the known universe!!

Now get down and pray peon!!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #51: Sep 15, 2014 01:24:02 pm

The bas**rds will have the lasts laugh, running around hysterical with mad eyes and them posters that tell us 'the end is nigh repent sinners' - then they get destroyed as well.

Nah mate they'll be fighting with the politicians to get into the bunkers, the last thing they want is to meet their "maker" too soon.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #52: Sep 15, 2014 03:34:35 pm
      This topic won't end well.

Or be open long.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #53: Sep 15, 2014 03:46:16 pm

The last words before the end of the world will be .... "I told you so".... and I intend saying them :)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #54: Sep 15, 2014 03:48:53 pm

There's very little evidence to suggest that Jesus even existed, especially if you take away the "testimony" of the apostles.
      I have been unable to find any historical evidence for his existence that can be relied upon, and by this I mean historians and commentators of the time, some of whom were quite prolific, who wrote about a wide variety of things, but not a word about Jesus as a popular figure, which considering the crowds he allegedly attracted, seems a bit odd.

It is far more plausible (to me) that he was either invented, or someone took a minor figure without any particular following and started the Jesus myth for political purposes.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #55: Sep 15, 2014 04:03:54 pm
      If there is no God how else can one explain "The Chosen One" being given a six year contract at Manchester United?

Do you think Jesus was a liar or fraud?.

personally I believe the most likely explanation is that there WAS a man called Jesus and that he was a paranoid schizophrenic. Many people with this condition believe they either have supernatural powers or are able to communicate with God. They speak with utter conviction about it because, to them, the experience is real.

Of course, if Jesus were alive today he would be sectioned and given antipsychotic medication.

So do you consider your sense of self awareness imperfect, or how about the way a baby grows to be a living sentient being from just a few cells, is that also imperfect? How about the delicate cosmic balance, and yes it really is very very very delicate where if just one factor amongst thousands was out by the tiniest amount if would all collapse. Just look around you everyday at the majesty and perfection of nature and ask if it can be truly random. I consider myself to have a very scientific outlook on life but I just cannot believe that life and existence is random and an accident, the odds against it are truly astronomical

I class myself as an agnostic but I'm keen to explore the topic, there are quite a few interesting responses in this thread - for some reason heimdall I find yours the most interesting.

You asked in your first post about how everything could be "just so" withuot a creator. In the words of the late, great, Douglas Adams:
      ". . . imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, ‘This is an interesting world I find myself in’an interesting hole I find myself in’fits me rather neatly, doesn’t it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!’

You rightly point out that the odds against us being here in a perfect universe are literally astronomical.

But then if someone has had to "create" all this he (or she) would have to be even MORE powerful and perfect and beautiful and complex than the universe which he/she created, no? So the obvious question then arises where did God come from? If the universe is too complex to have sprung up by accident then God most certainly must be too. The only explanation can be that God himself (or herself) was also created. But then what happened to the creator of the creator? And where did THEY come from? Etc.

In other words saying that God, who accidentally sprang up out of nowhere by himself, "created" the universe, is not any better an answer than just saying the universe accidentally sprang up out of nowhere by itself. In fact it's worse because now you have TWO infinitely complex things to account for.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #56: Sep 15, 2014 05:36:09 pm
      I don't.

I was brought up in a Presbyterian background and had to goto church every week but in my late teens just thought that I couldn't go on 'believeing'.

I've no real probelm with anyone of any religion that has faith and believes in a god but at this point in my life I don''t believe there is.

Uncannily similar to me mate.

Very simply I reached a point where (intellectually speaking) the dots didn't join up and what information was there wasn't compelling enough to make me pick up a pen and join them.

Subsequently I watched my father really question his faith through my sister's cancer,  my mother's Alzheimer's and both their deaths. Whilst he didn't truly resolve those questions before I lost him he did draw a lot of comfort from the community at his church.

The Church of Scotland minister at his funeral did provide some welcome relief - however it was entirely unintentional. She was a total disaster but instead we were able to imagine the old fella raising an eyebrow and making some caustic comment.

The peak of her incompetence came as his body was being interred. Instead of saying how his life hadn't all been "...hearts and flowers..." she instead said "...Life for Duncan wasn't all farts and hours...". My brother and I literally burst out laughing - convinced the old bugger had set it up!

Back to the question.

I'd say if it gives you comfort and doesn't hurt someone else - good luck to you, doesn't matter what I believe.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #57: Sep 15, 2014 05:38:15 pm
      There's very little evidence to suggest that Jesus even existed, especially if you take away the "testimony" of the apostles.
      I have been unable to find any historical evidence for his existence that can be relied upon, and by this I mean historians and commentators of the time, some of whom were quite prolific, who wrote about a wide variety of things, but not a word about Jesus as a popular figure, which considering the crowds he allegedly attracted, seems a bit odd.

It is far more plausible (to me) that he was either invented, or someone took a minor figure without any particular following and started the Jesus myth for political purposes.

[/quote]

I must research this when I get a chance, I can remember a guy talking on a radio show about Jesus. He said that around the same time as JC,  there were 12 or 13 other people going around claiming to be the son of God, and performing miracles. All were crucified as well!

gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #58: Sep 15, 2014 05:41:33 pm
      I believe we will win our next game and in Brendon Rodgers. As for the rest of religion a big no. It causes to many arguments and war's, so what is the point   :confused-smiley-013:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #59: Sep 15, 2014 05:53:03 pm
      The last words before the end of the world will be .... "I told you so".... and I intend saying them :)

Hahaha

Reminds of Spike Milligan's last words - ''I told you I was sick''.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #60: Sep 15, 2014 06:04:17 pm
      So do you consider your sense of self awareness imperfect, or how about the way a baby grows to be a living sentient being from just a few cells, is that also imperfect? How about the delicate cosmic balance, and yes it really is very very very delicate where if just one factor amongst thousands was out by the tiniest amount if would all collapse. Just look around you everyday at the majesty and perfection of nature and ask if it can be truly random. I consider myself to have a very scientific outlook on life but I just cannot believe that life and existence is random and an accident, the odds against it are truly astronomical.

If the odds against a creator are truly astronomical, then the odds of a creator must be much longer. Just think about the logic of a magic man in the sky. Each to their own and all that, but frankly, it's crazy.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #61: Sep 15, 2014 06:12:40 pm
      I feel a flat earth thread in the offing.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #62: Sep 15, 2014 06:19:46 pm
      I'm agnostic.

I will say whenever I consider this I always have a nagging feeling in the back of my mind saying "there must be something before the beginning of the universe as we know it". It stems from the belief that something does not come from nothing. Of course this then begins the never ending debate "well what came before that argument". I try not to engage in that because it essentially distracts from the initial point without purpose, you're never going to answer that question before the first. So yes I believe there was most probably something before the universe began, what that was/is I am very interested to find out.

The random chance that we have the perfect balance for life and the constant state of that balance in the universe is also a compelling argument that there is more to this than a near incalculable chance.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #63: Sep 15, 2014 09:16:31 pm
      I believe in God but not necessarily in religion. If that makes any sense
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,150 posts | 2780 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #64: Sep 15, 2014 09:26:55 pm
      I believe for every drop of rain that falls
       A flower grows,
       I believe that somewhere in the darkest night
       A candle glows,
       I believe for everyone who goes astray,
       Someone will come to show the way,
       I believe, I believe.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #65: Sep 15, 2014 09:46:33 pm
      I believe in what I witness
      I believe in what I see
      I believe the love I hold for you
      and the love you hold for me

I believe the words of children
      and the honesty they hold
      I believe the innocence they share
      should be embraced by young & old

I believe that there is one true love
      that rise 'bove the rest
      It's shared with all my kith & kin
      tis the Liver Bird 'pon my chest.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #66: Sep 15, 2014 10:08:08 pm
      This topic won't end well.

Or be open long.

I can see why you'd think like this JD given recent form on here at times but I think it is an interesting topic and debate if posters can keep it civil and actually debate without going off on one.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #67: Sep 15, 2014 11:31:37 pm
      And it's a no from me. 
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #68: Sep 16, 2014 09:37:38 am
       :D

No

Quick Reply