Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Do you Believe?

Read 17396 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Re: Do you Believe?
      Reply #69: Sep 16, 2014 10:03:44 am

I must research this when I get a chance, I can remember a guy talking on a radio show about Jesus. He said that around the same time as JC,  there were 12 or 13 other people going around claiming to be the son of God, and performing miracles. All were crucified as well!

You're only right mate, I saw the movie.
      John Cleese was one of them if I remember right.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #70: Sep 16, 2014 12:36:39 pm
      Seeing as it's been hijacked by the Munsters down the motorway.

I definitely do not believe!!
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,508 posts | 1474 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #71: Sep 16, 2014 01:16:46 pm
      No.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #72: Sep 16, 2014 02:00:29 pm
      What is a certain guarantee in life is death & once we expire I guess truth will manifest itself.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #73: Sep 16, 2014 02:02:39 pm
      What is a certain guarantee in life is death & once we expire I guess truth will manifest itself.

Links please.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #74: Sep 16, 2014 03:47:29 pm
      who are gods parents or did he / she just appear out of nothing and be all powerful and wise?
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #75: Sep 16, 2014 11:41:24 pm
      An entity without a beginning doesn't require a cause.

Going back to a point earlier about how our universe is perfectly designed for life such as ourselves to exist (or words to that effect); this could be explained by accepting that our universe may not the only universe in existence. If our universe is the only universe then I would happily accept that God created it because the constants are precisely finely tuned for us to be here. However, there is no reason to believe that there isn't an infinite number of universes and it is inevitable that in some the constants will be finely tuned for life to exist and for that life to question God's existence.

If God exists then it would appear that he has created a universe without scientific evidence of his existence in it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #76: Sep 16, 2014 11:43:06 pm
      However, there is no reason to believe that there isn't an infinite number of universes and it is inevitable that in some the constants will be finely tuned for life to exist and for that life to question God's existence.

A point I believe Finchie.

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,209 posts | 1213 
      Reply #77: Sep 16, 2014 11:59:55 pm
      Even if the only universe that exists is the one which we inhabit, there is no reason to suppose that it was created by a deity who designed the laws of physics just so's we could watch a game of football. It's only because people have the capacity to conceive of such things and, more importantly,  want to believe in them that they have arrived at that conclusion. The laws of physics are the laws of physics and they can be a wonder in their own right.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #78: Sep 17, 2014 12:38:03 am
      It may be just apothrical (sic?) tale, but my mum swears she once told my brother he was too old to be playing with invisible friends and he replied "Does that include God?".  That about sums up my feelings.  My mother was religious, my father not, what I like is they decided to let my brother and I find our own path, now we both ended up atheist, by different means, but the same destination.  What I think is brilliant of my brother is he is letting his children find their own paths as well, only applies to his eldest at present, but he has taken him to Sunday School at his son's request, it didn't take though, he asked to stop going after a few weeks. 

My mother has lost her faith as well, kind of.  She believes in something, she's just not sure what it is and she's certain organised religion has nothing to offer except a feeling of belonging.  I like some people find comfort in that sense of belonging but I still find religion to be ridiculous and my deepest believe on the subject is death will make an atheist of us all.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #79: Sep 18, 2014 12:34:36 pm
      For me any religion that now or at any other time has leaders instructing what other people should and should not do is a complete no no.

Like the science bit re the universe, but as science tells us space is a giant vacuum for this to exist would suggest it is sealed in some point, and if that's the case what's beyond the seal etc etc etc.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #80: Sep 18, 2014 01:09:20 pm
      For me any religion that now or at any other time has leaders instructing what other people should and should not do is a complete no no.

Like the science bit re the universe, but as science tells us space is a giant vacuum for this to exist would suggest it is sealed in some point, and if that's the case what's beyond the seal etc etc etc.

Religion, apart from it's purest form is as you point out a primitive control medium.

Posted earlier bud about a European space agency attempting to land a device on a comet which could give an insight into the conception of the universe previously not accessible, a time scale of millions of years is to be used, puts the text in the so called holy books of 2 - 3 thousand years ago into context.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #81: Sep 18, 2014 02:26:51 pm
      Religion, apart from it's purest form is as you point out a primitive control medium.

Posted earlier bud about a European space agency attempting to land a device on a comet which could give an insight into the conception of the universe previously not accessible, a time scale of millions of years is to be used, puts the text in the so called holy books of 2 - 3 thousand years ago into context.

Who gave us the faculties to use allowing us to put a device on that comet?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #82: Sep 18, 2014 02:34:45 pm

No one.
      We evolved, and as our brains grew thanks to the high protein diet we could eat (thanks to fire), we understood more and more of the world around us, fast forwards (past the breathroughs in medicine, physics, mathematics etc) then came the industrial revolution that hugely increased our knowledge of how things work, plus education for all which ensured the brightest minds would not go to waste.
      A very brief timeline, but the salient points are there, with the most important being that in my view, no one "gave" us anything.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #83: Sep 18, 2014 04:42:51 pm

I posted an earlier comment concerning an information gathering device being set up on a comet, a procedure never before attempted but with the acquired technical data gained through previous space exploration that may now be feasible.
      That in itself is evolution of thought process gained through experience.
       Your faith dictates you describe an omnipotent being 3,000 years ago (approx.) who created life as we know it and is responsible for everything that exists and all manner of occurrences therein.
      If that does it for you mate no one has any right to question your unfaltering commitment.

People do have the right to make their own judgement based on logic and overwhelming evidence that the universe has existed for millions if not billions of years, the comment about the device on a comet to hopefully shed more light on the creation of the universe can only galvanise the logical explanation.
      Repeating texts from a 2-3000 year old book cannot compete.       
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #84: Sep 18, 2014 05:08:27 pm
      I posted an earlier comment concerning an information gathering device being set up on a comet, a procedure never before attempted but with the acquired technical data gained through previous space exploration that may now be feasible.
      That in itself is evolution of thought process gained through experience.
       Your faith dictates you describe an omnipotent being 3,000 years ago (approx.) who created life as we know it and is responsible for everything that exists and all manner of occurrences therein.
      If that does it for you mate no one has any right to question your unfaltering commitment.

People do have the right to make their own judgement based on logic and overwhelming evidence that the universe has existed for millions if not billions of years, the comment about the device on a comet to hopefully shed more light on the creation of the universe can only galvanise the logical explanation.
      Repeating texts from a 2-3000 year old book cannot compete.       

Stuey, you are an educated man, so I'll ask the question: how long has it been since science first discovered Embryology & at what stages life is fashioned?.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #85: Sep 18, 2014 05:36:10 pm
      Stuey, you are an educated man, so I'll ask the question: how long has it been since science first discovered Embryology & at what stages life is fashioned?.

Embryology was studied about 2,500 years ago approx. and there are various beliefs as to the formation of a credible life force, some would have it the entity is a viable life form upon conception while some suggest it is not the case until virtually a recognisable form is apparent.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #86: Sep 18, 2014 05:39:19 pm

Our ever evolving intellect & ingenuity, certaintly not some invisible, non-existant sky bully.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #87: Sep 18, 2014 05:40:26 pm

It doesn't have to be sealed in but our universe could be finite in size (although it is expanding so increasing in size). The curvature of spacetime (General Relativity) allows for this.

There are suggestions in the laws of physics that might allow for the spontaneous (without cause) creation of a universe from literally nothing. eg a quantum fluctuation of spacetime. By nothing I mean literally nothing (ie absence of space, a vacuum or time). Perhaps God made such laws or perhaps that's just nature with no creator required.

Other universes might exist but we might never be able to reach them given they exist in a totally different space and time.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #88: Sep 18, 2014 05:46:23 pm
      Embryology was studied about 2,500 years ago approx. and there are various beliefs as to the formation of a credible life force, some would have it the entity is a viable life form upon conception while some suggest it is not the case until virtually a recognisable form is apparent.

2500 years ago? but no credible evidence to show development of the foetus inside the womb of a woman & what stages development takes place till which point were these discovered by science?.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #89: Sep 18, 2014 08:24:05 pm
      2500 years ago? but no credible evidence to show development of the foetus inside the womb of a woman & what stages development takes place till which point were these discovered by science?.

Before the invention of x-rays and other methods of investigating the human form pathology was widely used by doctors and physicians to study specific issues affecting the body. Using samples taken from corpses a general picture of the foetus and it's development could be arrived at recorded.
      With the introduction of x-ray the oldest images of the foetus were confirmed and stand to this day.
      Your point is?
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #90: Sep 19, 2014 04:33:39 am
      Maybe God died
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #91: Sep 19, 2014 10:47:06 am
      Before the invention of x-rays and other methods of investigating the human form pathology was widely used by doctors and physicians to study specific issues affecting the body. Using samples taken from corpses a general picture of the foetus and it's development could be arrived at recorded.
      With the introduction of x-ray the oldest images of the foetus were confirmed and stand to this day.
      Your point is?

My point is, what was the earliest man discovered Foetus development through science, I need a crystal clear answer from you before I give my answer with provided evidence.

Quick Reply