Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Ludogorets Razgrad 19.45.BST 16/09/14

Read 11354 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,606 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Pre-Match: Liverpool v Ludogorets Razgrad 19.45.BST 16/09/14
      Sep 15, 2014 10:35:13 am
      UEFA Champions League official theme song (Hymne) Stereo HD

Champions League Intro [HD]

For Ludogorets, this is their first time in the Champions League and it could not have come about in a more dramatic manner. In the final playoff round of the Champions League qualifiers against Steaua Bucharest, Ludogorets’ keeper was sent off and with no substitutes left, centre-back Cosmin Moti had to go in goal. In the resulting penalty shoot-out, he made two saves and sent his team into the Champions League groups. His actions have prompted the club’s owner to pledge to rename a stand after him.

For the Bulgarian champions, this game will be a test but they will certainly have nothing to fear, for as far they are concerned, they have nothing to lose. For Liverpool, nothing less than a win will suffice.

Team News

Liverpool have a number of injuries in their squad just now, most notably Daniel Sturridge – who will be out of action for the next few weeks with a thigh injury. New signing Emre Can is also out for at least a month with an ankle injury and will miss at least three of Liverpool’s European matches. Joe Allen and Martin Skrtel are both doubtful for the game but we will have a more accurate assessment of their situation when Brendan Rodgers gives his press conference tomorrow. Glen Johnson and Jon Flanagan are also out through injury. Finally, Lazar Markovic will also be unavailable for selection due to suspension.

Ludogorets have a fully fit squad to choose from and there are no suspensions, aside from Vladislav Stoyanov, preventing any players from making an appearance against the Reds at Anfield.

Interesting Statistics

This will be Liverpool’s first appearance in the Champions League for five years.
      Liverpool have played against Bulgarian opposition on eight occasions, winning six times and losing the other two.
      The last time they faced a Bulgarian team was in the 2005-06 season when they played against CSKA Sophia in the qualifiers. They won 3-2 on aggregate.
      This is Ludogorets’ first ever appearance in the Champions League and the first time they have played in England.
      Last season, the Bulgarian side reached the last 16 of the Europa League – their first time in that competition.
      They defeated Dudelange, Partizan and Steaua Bucharest on their way to the Champions League.
      Key Players

– Raheem Sterling

Sterling has been in fine form for Liverpool so far this season and has cemented a reputation that sees him as one of the top young players in Europe, and nowhere will this be better tested than in the Champions League. In four appearances for the Reds this season, the youngster has managed to score two goals for his club. According to Squawka.com, he has scored these from 10 shots at goal, six of which were on target. He has also managed to create eight chances for his teammates and has made an assist in the process. His passing has been very good as well, averaging an 80% accuracy so far this season. Impressively, Sterling has managed to win 68% of all the duels he has been involved in which is very good considering his small stature. He was rested for much of Liverpool’s loss against Aston Villa at the weekend, playing as a substitute. Ludogorets will surely see him as a threat who has to be stopped.

– Marcelinho

I will admit that it not has been very easy to find useful performance statistics for Ludogorets’ players and so I have had to settle for Marcelinho’s performances in the Europa League last season. However, he is considered to be one of their more dangerous players and links up well with their strikers as an attacking midfielder. He made 10 appearances for the Bulgarian side in Europe last year and according to Squawka.com, he managed to create 14 chances for his team mates, two of which resulted in assists for him. Similarly to Sterling, the Brazilian was very efficient with his passing during the course of the tournament, averaging an 80% passing accuracy. However, he was only able to win 40% of his duels overall. When you look at this in more detail, you see that he had a 52% success rate when taking on opponents, which could be worrying for Liverpool fans when you take their defensive performances into account. One thing is for sure, Rodgers and his scouting team will have plenty of information on him.

Prediction

Liverpool suffered a disappointing defeat to Aston Villa at the weekend and will want to make amends. Promisingly for them, Liverpool have only ever suffered back to back defeats under Brendan Rodgers once, Manchester City away and Chelsea away last season. Ludogorets’ owner has reportedly said that his team have nothing to lose and so we can expect them to have a go at Liverpool on Tuesday. However, I do expect Liverpool to prove too much for the Bulgarians and ultimately win the game 2-0.

http://eplindex.com/58932/liverpool-ludogorets-razgrad-match-preview.html

« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2014 06:57:27 pm by JD »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,606 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Champions League: Liverpool v Ludogorets Razgrad 19.45.BST 16/09/14
      Reply #1: Sep 15, 2014 10:53:12 am
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #2: Sep 15, 2014 10:57:33 am
      It might sound daft but I can't tell you how much I've missed that piece of music. It finally feels like we've come back home :D
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #3: Sep 15, 2014 11:00:19 am
      CL is back where it belongs wooohooooo
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #4: Sep 15, 2014 11:34:56 am
      Let's hope Tuesday night is a 100% better atmosphere than Saturday!

CANT WAIT
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #5: Sep 15, 2014 11:41:22 am
      Need a resounding win after the weekend's disappointment and some confidence to take to Upton Park. Would try experimenting a Mario-Rickie duo upfront with a Sterling-Hendo-Lallana-Stevie diamond and the same back 4 as the Villa game.

Migs
      Manquillo-Lovren-Sakho-Moreno
      Stevie
      Hendo-Lallana
      Sterling
      Mario-Lambert

Bench - Jones, Markovic, Coutinho, Borini, Lucas, Toure, Enrique. And yes, we definitely HAVE GOT TO UP THE TEMPO at Anfield.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #6: Sep 15, 2014 11:45:04 am
      Welcome back Champion league, we need a good win :) Nice thread racer!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7: Sep 15, 2014 11:59:21 am
      Lazar suspended for this game and I wouldn't play Stevie again so soon, save him for the weekend.  No Allen or Can so it looks like Lucas will get the shout.

Leave the defence as is, they need as much playing time together as possible.

Balo and Lallana need match fitness so start them both, not sure how Brendan will set us up formation wise but we do seem to play better with 2 up top.  Personally I'd play Borini with Balo rather than Rickie as I believe Borini will stretch the play better and I think Rickie is too similar to Balo.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,606 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: Sep 15, 2014 12:19:02 pm
      Welcome back Champion league, we need a good win :) Nice thread racer!

I got impatient waiting for you to get it going. :D
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #9: Sep 15, 2014 12:26:29 pm
      Absolutely can't wait! Super hyped! Let's respect our opponents as they are an unknown quantity and you should respect the opponent anyway. But as soon as that whistle blows, let's just hammer them!
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #10: Sep 15, 2014 12:43:58 pm
      I wouldn't play Stevie again so soon, save him for the weekend

No way Stevie is gonna miss our return to CL after 5 years mate. Might be subbed off early for Lucas if we get a good cushion
      Dancho
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts |
      Reply #11: Sep 15, 2014 12:50:42 pm
      Really excited for tomorrow's game because I am from Bulgaria where Ludogorets come from. It is a big chance for fans here to see Liverpool live so everybody were really lucky to have this draw. As you may have presumed Bulgarian championship is not particularly good so Ludogorets should not be a tough opposition. The qualification itself was huge heroics and is considered the maximum that can be expected. Ludogorets is a new football club from a small town with few core fans here in Bulgaria but since this is only the second time a Bulgarian club makes it to the Champions League group stage it is looked at as a national success more than a club one. The games in Bulgaria will be played at the national stadium which is expected to be sold out. Many people may support Liverpool because of the huge following of the Premier League and Liverpool in particular. Tomorrow's match should be an easy win for the Reds because of the staggering difference in the class/budgets/experience but still I hope that Ludogorets stand their ground, would not like to see double figures :)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #12: Sep 15, 2014 12:51:20 pm
      No way Stevie is gonna miss our return to CL after 5 years mate. Might be subbed off early for Lucas if we get a good cushion

Which is why I was surprised to see him start against Villa mate.  Stevie cannot and should not be playing more than one game a week or he'll end up injured and no use to anyone.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #13: Sep 15, 2014 01:23:07 pm
      I got impatient waiting for you to get it going. :D

no worries, and also do the champion league live thread since we lost one, someone should do it and i will take back from saturday :)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #14: Sep 15, 2014 01:27:31 pm
      I want to see something different in our midfield and attack.

Lucas
          Hendo Suso
            Coutinho
      Balo Sterling Lallana
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #15: Sep 15, 2014 01:31:52 pm
      Which is why I was surprised to see him start against Villa mate.  Stevie cannot and should not be playing more than one game a week or he'll end up injured and no use to anyone.

I think with Studge missing and Sterling rested, BR didn't have an option but to start Stevie for some 'stability'. Allen & Can weren't there so Lucas was the only possible option. It just wasn't meant to be, and that's why we need a cracking game tomo night before we head to the place where they play 19th century football/park-the-bus-XI
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,606 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16: Sep 15, 2014 01:39:55 pm
      I think with Studge missing and Sterling rested, BR didn't have an option but to start Stevie for some 'stability'. Allen & Can weren't there so Lucas was the only possible option. It just wasn't meant to be, and that's why we need a cracking game tomo night before we head to the place where they play 19th century football/park-the-bus-XI

Perfect storm of injuries.
      Hopefully it doesn't repeat itself.

Sturridge
      Allen
      Can

all out injured.

Risk of Sterling.

3 of the core players out and then the one player in form that you would have wanted to come in also gets injured.
      Sometimes everything that could go wrong does, and last week it did.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #17: Sep 15, 2014 01:50:20 pm

Possibly that was his thinking but if Stevie plays tomorrow I hope he doesn't play at the weekend, we have enough senior players out injured.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,606 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #18: Sep 15, 2014 01:50:59 pm
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #19: Sep 15, 2014 02:27:09 pm
      Lazar suspended for this game and I wouldn't play Stevie again so soon, save him for the weekend.  No Allen or Can so it looks like Lucas will get the shout.

Leave the defence as is, they need as much playing time together as possible.

Balo and Lallana need match fitness so start them both, not sure how Brendan will set us up formation wise but we do seem to play better with 2 up top.  Personally I'd play Borini with Balo rather than Rickie as I believe Borini will stretch the play better and I think Rickie is too similar to Balo.

Similar thoughts myself. Great minds.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #20: Sep 15, 2014 02:29:14 pm
      Let's take out our loyalties to Stevie here and what this means to him.

He could have gone during those baron years and didn't.  Yes...  We all appreciate that.

But this night is bigger than our captain and European nights are unforgiving.

If I was BR then I would let Stevie have this one, but I certainly would not start him against Real.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #21: Sep 15, 2014 02:35:39 pm
      Let's take out our loyalties to Stevie here and what this means to him.

He could have gone during those baron years and didn't.  Yes...  We all appreciate that.

But this night is bigger than our captain and European nights are unforgiving.

If I was BR then I would let Stevie have this one, but I certainly would not start him against Real.

I certainly would.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #22: Sep 15, 2014 02:50:32 pm
      Similar thoughts myself. Great minds.

Don't know about great minds mate, I pinched the idea from the "football guide for dummies" manual but Brendan is on a much higher plain than that so it'll probably be totally different  :D

Quick Reply