Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Moreno
      66 (47.1%)
      Manquillo
      18 (12.9%)
      Lovren
      2 (1.4%)
      Sakho
      0 (0%)
      Gerrard
      9 (6.4%)
      Henderson
      18 (12.9%)
      Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Sterling
      2 (1.4%)
      Balotelli
      20 (14.3%)
      Lallana
      1 (0.7%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)
      Borini
      4 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: Sep 20, 2014 09:49:44 pm

LFC 2-1 Ludogorets Razgrad: In game and Post Match Discussion

Read 40657 times
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Re: LFC 2-1 Ludogorets Razgrad: In game and Post Match Discussion
      Reply #575: Sep 17, 2014 01:28:11 am
      He is a good link up player but you still would not have considered him as the ideal replacement for Luis Suarez. You'd choose someone more dynamic. It's what we were about last season, and Balo is not that. He's trying nonetheless.

Please suggest someone we could of purchased for Suarez as a like for like? There is no such thing.

Balotelli was a very good buy and he will be a smashing hit here.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #576: Sep 17, 2014 01:33:55 am
      How did Lucas play when he came on.. I missed the game.

He did this trick where he flicked the ball up his leg, it went through his shorts, he pulled his waistband and it carried on up through his shirt popped out at the back of his neck and then rolled up to his head and he just stood there for like 5 seconds doing head keepy-ups.

The commentator said that they would never show it on TV again because it was so amazing.

Apart from that he played okay.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #577: Sep 17, 2014 01:54:30 am
      We won!!!
      viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #578: Sep 17, 2014 01:55:38 am
      Watching the game again and Coutinho was good during the first half. Created a few chances, including the one that Lallana missed. But we're missing the power we had during last season and, IMO, it's because we are not running the same formation we had last season.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #579: Sep 17, 2014 02:19:07 am
      He did this trick where he flicked the ball up his leg, it went through his shorts, he pulled his waistband and it carried on up through his shirt popped out at the back of his neck and then rolled up to his head and he just stood there for like 5 seconds doing head keepy-ups.

The commentator said that they would never show it on TV again because it was so amazing.

Apart from that he played okay.

He got that off me!
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #580: Sep 17, 2014 02:24:31 am
      Watching the game again and Coutinho was good during the first half. Created a few chances, including the one that Lallana missed. But we're missing the power we had during last season and, IMO, it's because we are not running the same formation we had last season.

I agree and I stand by what I said on another thread, about us just seeming to be much more dangerous with two up top and a diamond in midfield.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #581: Sep 17, 2014 02:26:45 am
      F***ing hell!
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #582: Sep 17, 2014 02:29:07 am
      For those criticising Balotelli I think it's a little unfair because his problems where not of his making. Every time he got the ball, against Villa on Saturday and again tonight, three or four players would immediately surround him and prevent him from doing anything with it. When you don't have the trickery that Suarez brought to the team, or the pace you get with Sterling, this is the consequence of playing a single striker. Balotelli needs a strike partner to provide him with space. He likes to hold the ball up and lay it off but not enough players were getting ahead of him, or use his strength to turn a player which is difficult when he's got three more to worry about. We lost Suarez to Barca and we've lost Sturridge to injury and we're trying to squeeze a square peg in to a round hole with Mario were as what we should be doing is finding a system that brings the best out of him.

Agree.

To be fair Sturridge looked isolated as the lone man up top and now Balo does as well. Personally I would put Lambert with Balo until Sturridge comes back. You can't judge Lambert off of a few games as a sub. Give him 90 minutes and I think he will prove to be an impact player for us. He did score 15 goals last season.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #583: Sep 17, 2014 02:41:45 am
      Agree.

To be fair Sturridge looked isolated as the lone man up top and now Balo does as well. Personally I would put Lambert with Balo until Sturridge comes back. You can't judge Lambert off of a few games as a sub. Give him 90 minutes and I think he will prove to be an impact player for us. He did score 15 goals last season.

Would he last 90? I might be inclined to start him though. I still think he's applying too much pressure on himself. 
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #584: Sep 17, 2014 02:44:18 am
      We were poor again I don't think Brendan has a handle on the system he wants us playing moving forward and post Suarez. In Balotelli he has brought in a very different type of player, that seems to be out of favour with the system we had in place last season. Granted the lads have not been together for a great while the attacking quartert that is Balo, Sterling, Coutinho and Lallana so it will take some time for them to integrate. The huge difference for me is the lack of movement in the final third something that the SAS provided in abundance opening up space and allowing the likes of Sterling and Coutinho to split defences wide open.

Brendan showed his inexperience tonight in a tight and somewhat cagey match when you have a one goal advantage and two defensive midfielders on the park you need to close the game out, obviously it was not the case and we were caught out high up the field. I am slightly perplexed as to why people are pointing the finger at Lovren for the goal not only is he playing on his least preferred side to accomodate Sakho but he was coming across to cover the out of position Moreno and more often then not during the game cover the out of position Sakho.

The crowd were right awaful tonight and put to shame by a thousand or so Ludogrets fans the way people have been banging on about us being out of the CL for such a long time you would be forgiven for thinking paint would be stripping of the terraces from the vocal support. However for most part it was library like and alot of empty seats seems the pull of Ludogrets isn't enough for some of our privileged season ticket holders.

On a positive note we got 3 points in a match we were dire in and have a slight advantage going into the Basel game in 2 weeks time.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #585: Sep 17, 2014 03:35:14 am
      Just finished watching the game.  Manquillo and Moreno look like seasoned pros, Sakho and Lovren look like they need a few more games together, thought Sakho was the better of the two tonight.  Gerrard also looked like he needed a few more games, Henderson looked much better when pressing high than he did in our half, Coutinho was poor but slightly improved in the 2nd half whilst Lallana struggled to get to grips with the game.  Balotelli worked well with scraps and Sterling got battered, but gave some back and looked dangerous at times.  Thought Borini did OK, as did Lucas.  As for the goal we conceded, great pass, but Mignolet has to take the blame, got it all wrong.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #586: Sep 17, 2014 03:41:48 am
      Fairs dos to Ludogorets, they looked a decent side who on the ball like to play a bit I think that underdog tag and the arrogance of bigger teams combined will certainly favour them, they're no mugs.

Mignolet - I think he had a good game overall, looks as though he's coming and calling for those crosses a little bit more, (still obviously in this department he's a work in progress), don't blame him for their goal, that was poor defending on our behalf, Sahko was caught IIRC in no mans land and the invitation was there to exploit the space, Lovren couldn't get across quick enough to cover. 7

Manquillo - Looks okay, reminds me of Arbeloa the way he plays although he isn't yet as good as Arbeloa in the final third. Defends and runs the flank with all his heart, just needs more composure and perhaps technical ability to cap his industrious performances off. 7

Sahko - Who apart for being caught in no mans land for their goal (and I may stand corrected on that) had a good game against an attacking/fluid little outfit. 7

Lovren - On the one hand he looks a very assured and composed CB and on the other looks as though he has a mistake in him. FWIW though, I don't think either of our CB's looked 'that' bad tonight. They and the two fullbacks mopped most things up. 7

Moreno - In the first half he looked a threat and most of our attacking play came down the left flank. Gets stuck into the challenge too. Second half we didn't see him maraud down the left as much. Occasionally he whipped in the crosses, saved our defense at one point with another one of those tackles in the penalty box. Overall, good game. 8

Gerrard - Saved us at the death with his penalty, although he wasn't as influential throughout the game as he can be, he's becoming renowned for his slow starts to the season but also, looked leggy and slow during the course of the match. 6

Henderson - Usual work rate capped off with some safe passing. Only burst into the box once though with a sliced header, need him to give the team a little more in the final third. 7

Sterling - Looked at times to be the only spark in this team, tried to 'do his stuff' but like his teamates in the final third was often over zealous in forcing the issue which subsequently didn't see the final ball come off. 7

Coutinho - Tried to constantly play the incisive passes through to open LR up. Never worked and we turned over possession quite frequently when keeping the ball during the phase of play was required. Never shies away from trying the inventive stuff though and in fairness at the moment this Liverpool team need that as we do look a little toothless. 6

Lallana - I thought his second half display was better than what it was tonight. Looks as though he's trying too hard and nothing much is coming off for him, still only his second game mind. 6

Ballotelli - Considered this guys been labelled lazy I think it's rather ironic, thus far has been his best trait for us. I think in time he will become a good foil for Sturridge. Looks slightly cumbersome at times. Typical old fashioned number 9 who plays with his back to goal. Took his goal like a typical number 9 as well. 7
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #587: Sep 17, 2014 04:02:18 am
      How does Lallana rate only one point worse than Javi? How does Balotelli rate the same so Simon? Our worse rating being a 6 is a bit blinkered!

It was a sh*t goal to concede from Moreno bombing up field, Sakho and Lovren cocking up and Simon was way too rash coming for it. He has to stay back and protect his goal.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #588: Sep 17, 2014 05:42:04 am
      2 up top is the way forward for us. I'm glad Borini put his foot down and stayed. Diamond looks like our most potent formation esp with Mario. May be we could revert to 4-3-3 if Studge plays upfront and Mario is rested.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #589: Sep 17, 2014 06:58:56 am
      We play much better with 2 strikers, so until Studge returns I hope BR plays either Lambert or Borini with Mario up front ,Balo looks so lost when playing as lone striker

Very Happy wih the win, we have to play better esp. when away
      But a win is a win 
       M&M (Moreno & Marquillo) where brilliant today

Ynwa
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #590: Sep 17, 2014 07:55:15 am
      How does Lallana rate only one point worse than Javi? How does Balotelli rate the same so Simon? Our worse rating being a 6 is a bit blinkered!

It was a sh*t goal to concede from Moreno bombing up field, Sakho and Lovren cocking up and Simon was way too rash coming for it. He has to stay back and protect his goal.

My ratings are based on 90 mins of football, not one mistake here or there.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #591: Sep 17, 2014 07:58:51 am
      Far too early to play the "get out of jail" card, but 3 points vital.

Mario is very different to the likes of Suarez / Sturridge, and whilst it was a quality finish, we probably need to get used to him being more pedestrian than some of our other forwards

As for the defence - I can see Valdes quickly becoming the No.1 (assuming the rumour mill is true). Mig not inspiring confidence in the players in front of him
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #592: Sep 17, 2014 08:03:56 am
      F**k off you miserable cu*ts.

We won.

Get over it.

Think it's bad in here the you should have seen the two miserable tw*ts in front of me at the game. Spoke about golf until they realised there was something to moan about then did. A lot. Then when we scored didn't celebrate.  Didn't even smile. Didn't join in any singing throughout either. Scouse as you like aswell. And I'm not even going to start on the miserable c**t behind me but at least he celebrated.

Waste of three seats.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #593: Sep 17, 2014 08:13:08 am
      Anyone who was expecting us to carry on where we left of last season post Suarez and with so many new players is either kidding themselves or deluded. As soon as the lads get to understand each others positions and where they are and are expected to be on the pitch it'll fall into place nicely.

Lest we forget that we never hit full force until after Xmas last season so patience is a much required quality for an LFC fan over the coming months.

Just focus on the qualities of our new individuals and rest assured that when they start to understand what's required it'll become orgasmic to watch, poetry in motion one might say. ;D
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #594: Sep 17, 2014 08:17:42 am
      Quote from Dadorious
      We were poor again. On a positive note we got 3 points in a match we were dire in

Remember this anyone?

August 2004:

Liverpool 0-1 Sturm Graz. And that was a dire performance too. It didn't hurt too much in the end though.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #595: Sep 17, 2014 08:17:51 am
      Far too much BITCHING & MOANING on here, FOR F**k SAKE we won, didn't we, or did I just imagine it.?

Some of you need to give your heids a WOBBLE,  your knee jerking to the extreme, 

Just give yourselves 5 mins and think, 

We were average at best, playing cl football with a relatively inexperienced X1, most at a level unknown to them, we scrapped out a win, we have 3 points,  the same as Real f***in Madrid,

Yeah we need to be better that's obvious,  but coming on here slating your players,  whinging and f***in moaning like you are smacks of glory hunting style support, 

WE ARE LIVERPOOL, we never do things normal,  maybe some of you just don't get it,

WE WON FFS,  Get Over It.  !!

YNWA
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #596: Sep 17, 2014 08:36:06 am
      If you'd have come on this board two seasons ago (while we were getting two points from our first five matches in the Premier league) and said that in two years time we'll have won our opening CL fixture 2-1 people would have p!ssed themselves laughing. If you'd followed it up with some of the negative over-reaction in here they'd have carted you off to the nuthouse.

I didn't think we played well either. I don't massively care though if I'm honest, the main thing is we put the ball in the back of their net more often than they did into ours. Sometimes how you play is really important, sometimes it isn't as long as you win. Last night was in the latter category.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #597: Sep 17, 2014 08:50:35 am
      We were poor again I don't think Brendan has a handle on the system he wants us playing moving forward and post Suarez. In Balotelli he has brought in a very different type of player, that seems to be out of favour with the system we had in place last season.

To be fair a slow start had to be expected.  When BR first arrived it took him half a season to get us firing and then we were great for the following 18 months.

We have had such a change in personnel that it may take a similar length of time again.  Even last season we were relatively slow starters - remember all the 1-0's we had - who would have thought by the end of the season we would be pushing 100 goals!

And the other point is that for half of last night's team, and for the manager lets remember, it was their very first Champions League game.  Despite their short history and relatively unknown status the Bulgarian champions are no mugs.  This isn't the Europa League - there are no sh*t teams.

Quick Reply