Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Advice from our Scottish Members

Read 2484 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Advice from our Scottish Members
      Sep 20, 2014 12:52:15 pm
      We're visiting Scotland next month for our Honeymoon and although there are plenty of places I want to go it's always good to get a local pov. 

We're not particularly interested in visiting towns or cities, more a walk on the wild side as we'll have the dog with us.  Intended places of interest will be Loch Lomand, Fort William/Oban and the West Coast up to Spean Bridge, across to Loch Ness (can't not go to see Nessie), Loch Garten to see the Ospreys and Aviemore.  Not all in one day but if the weathers miserable it probably will be  :D

We're staying at Blairgowrie so anywhere in or around Stirling/Perthshire and anywhere around the places I've already mentioned.

Thanks in advance.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Re: Advice from our Scottish Members
      Reply #1: Sep 20, 2014 01:11:08 pm
      There's nice walks up the mountains near Stirling upwards towards the Highlands. Takes a good 3-4 hours though.

Loch Lomand is very nice, but you've already mentioned that haha.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2: Sep 28, 2014 11:30:49 am
      Come on everyone North of the Border, any suggestions?
      falkirk_bairn
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts |
      Reply #3: Sep 29, 2014 01:50:02 pm
      Calander, Aberfoyle, Crieff also all nice places.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: Sep 29, 2014 03:02:45 pm
      Calander, Aberfoyle, Crieff also all nice places.

Thanks mate, I'll check them out.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1220 
      Reply #5: Sep 29, 2014 04:08:30 pm
      Not a Scot myself Debs but half my family are from Glasgow and I have relatives there and also in Stirling so I get up to see them quite a bit.

A nice town to visit is Bridge of Allan, which is at the foot of the Ochil hills and right next to the Wallace Monument. You can get some brilliant views of the Carse of Lecropt if you take the road up behind the village towards the golf course and beyond. The local cafe next to the River Allan does an absolutely fantastic fish supper as well and some of the best ice cream in the area. It's also a good stop off point for journeys onwards to nearby Crieff, Callander etc.

Callander would be a good one because you can go straight through and on to Glencoe or alternatively to Loch Lomond.

If you don't mind the drive it's definitely worth going up to the west coast, through Glencoe, Fort William and on to the Road to the Isles. I forget the name of the place now but there's a stunning train journey you can take that takes you past the Bonnie Prince Charlie monument and on to Mallaig -- a fishing port where you can take boat trips to Skye, Rum, Muck and Eigg. There is seafood aplenty, some excellent local ales and brilliant views all around.

One other thing: there's a golf course in nearby Arisaig called Traigh Golf Course. Well worth a round if you can play as even if you're having an absolute mare, the walk itself is spectacular -- in the hills, right by the sea and with Skye in the background. Makes up for many a lost ball!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #6: Sep 29, 2014 04:31:20 pm
      Not a Scot myself Debs but half my family are from Glasgow and I have relatives there and also in Stirling so I get up to see them quite a bit.

A nice town to visit is Bridge of Allan, which is at the foot of the Ochil hills and right next to the Wallace Monument. You can get some brilliant views of the Carse of Lecropt if you take the road up behind the village towards the golf course and beyond. The local cafe next to the River Allan does an absolutely fantastic fish supper as well and some of the best ice cream in the area. It's also a good stop off point for journeys onwards to nearby Crieff, Callander etc.

Callander would be a good one because you can go straight through and on to Glencoe or alternatively to Loch Lomond.

If you don't mind the drive it's definitely worth going up to the west coast, through Glencoe, Fort William and on to the Road to the Isles. I forget the name of the place now but there's a stunning train journey you can take that takes you past the Bonnie Prince Charlie monument and on to Mallaig -- a fishing port where you can take boat trips to Skye, Rum, Muck and Eigg. There is seafood aplenty, some excellent local ales and brilliant views all around.

One other thing: there's a golf course in nearby Arisaig called Traigh Golf Course. Well worth a round if you can play as even if you're having an absolute mare, the walk itself is spectacular -- in the hills, right by the sea and with Skye in the background. Makes up for many a lost ball!

Cheers mate.  We'll be doing the West Coast and I've had a look at that train journey, it looks good.  I used to play golf but not for over 20 years and I doubt we'll have time to waste a day hacking through the rough  :D

Will probably call in at Crieff on the way to or back from Loch Lomand if we have time, we've booked the full cruise on the Loch (I'm hoping that's the best way to see as much of it as possible).  The Bridge of Allen will have to be a visit on our way home I think, it's a bit too far south of the other places we're going to and we only have 3 days there.
      falkirk_bairn
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts |
      Reply #7: Sep 30, 2014 07:40:27 am

I will 2nd that regarding the Allan Water Cafe at Bridge of Allan, brilliant fish & chips and superb ice cream to finish, can obviously take away so the dog doesn't miss out. You are right next to the A9 here as well.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8: Oct 03, 2014 09:38:47 pm
      the west coast of Scotland from  Oban is one of the most beautiful coastlines on the world.Added to which you should go to Skye and Mull and once you have been you will count the days until you can go back
      MsGerrard
      Reply #9: Oct 04, 2014 08:50:34 pm
      I'm off to near Oban next week to visit my son, he works for the Forestry Commision and has moved from Dumfries to Loch Gilphead and it will be my first visit to see his new place, can't wait xx
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Oct 04, 2014 09:18:59 pm
      I'm off to near Oban next week to visit my son, he works for the Forestry Commision and has moved from Dumfries to Loch Gilphead and it will be my first visit to see his new place, can't wait xx

Enjoy yourself Cas  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      MsGerrard
      Reply #11: Oct 04, 2014 09:28:54 pm

Cheers hun and have a wonderful time on your honeymoon  8)
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #12: Oct 09, 2014 12:51:15 pm
      Anywhere up the west coast I'd say. Glencoe is amazing, but you could also go right to the top to the county Sutherland. Incredibly remote places like Kinlochbervie and Durness (where a certain John Lennon holidayed there every summer as a child) are beautiful.

They are hard to get to - only single track roads, and quite long and winding too, but it's well worth it I say.

I myself am from Orkney, which is great for neolithic sites - not far from the mainland, but you have to get a boat there from John O Groats, Scrabster or Gills Bay (all in the county of Caithness).
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: Oct 10, 2014 06:58:54 pm
      Got home about 2 hours ago and what a fantastic time we had.  Beautiful weather all week and got to see some amazing places but not done that much driving for about 10 years  :D

Now I've just got to get unpacked, repacked and drive to Lancashire tomorrow ready to go down to Salon International in London on Sunday. 
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #14: Oct 10, 2014 08:30:49 pm
      Drive up the west coast and see where sky fall was set. Really good scenery

Quick Reply