Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

OK, so far we're not very good. What are the reasons and how do we fix it?

Read 16815 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: OK, so far we're not very good. What are the reasons and how do we fix it?
      Reply #230: Dec 10, 2014 11:40:59 am
      I think the FullofShiteGroup ARE actually thinking about Ted Rodger's future.
      BUT that would mean a fairly hefty payoff to him and his (cough) esteemed team.

I wouldnt be sad to see him go. But I'd probably be sad to see his replacement.
      PLus I'd like to see Rodgers give Johnny 4eyes some sh*t before he was booted out.
      I doubt Rodgers will tho. He markets himself as a "chairman's manager", not a fans manager ie company man thro and thro.

As childish as it is, I can't stop laughing at Johnny 4eyes  :lmao: +1
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #231: Dec 10, 2014 12:00:43 pm
      As childish as it is, I can't stop laughing at Johnny 4eyes  :lmao: +1

There's a picture of him somewhere with leather gloves on, rubbing his hands together in a weird type of way. It looks like he's about to commit a murder.
      So I sort of think of sci-fi films like "Johnny Mnemonic" and stuff. Henry just has this aura of villainy behind that charm-filled exterior. Thats really why I chose the name.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #232: Dec 10, 2014 12:09:42 pm
      There's a picture of him somewhere with leather gloves on, rubbing his hands together in a weird type of way. It looks like he's about to commit a murder.
      So I sort of think of sci-fi films like "Johnny Mnemonic" and stuff. Henry just has this aura of villainy behind that charm-filled exterior. Thats really why I chose the name.

he would make a good Bond Villain stroking Linda's pussy with his gloves on.
      The only positive thing he has brought to Anfield is his wife and she doesn't  bother anymore.
      ~This cant be fixed under the present regime avg is all we can hope for.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #233: Dec 10, 2014 01:20:29 pm
      I think we need to go back to front a lot quicker than we are at the moment! Our restarts have to be better! I am so sick of Mignolet kicking the ball to either full back and we end up getting caught in the press! I know it's Brendans preference but I think he must adapt to the players he has brought to the club!

With one of Lambert or Balotelli as lone strikers we have to start uaing them and getting players about them in support.

More than anything I want to see a style of play and an identity back into the team! I want to know what it is we are trying to achieve, how we are looking to win games. Last season we had a clear plan on how we wanted to win the games and this season is just a mish mash.

I'm still really pissed that we tore apart last seasons recipe for success by buying in such bulk rather than spending well on two or three proven players but there we go, we have to move on and it is clear we can no longer play fast counter attacking football! Therefore I think it's time to go more direct... at least until Sturridge is back or we sort it out in the January window.

For me January signings must have two key attributes though! Pace and directness!!
      Fowlersleftpeg
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #234: Dec 12, 2014 10:35:50 am
      Long time guest, first time post.  :D

..I'm still really pissed that we tore apart last seasons recipe for success by buying in such bulk rather than spending well on two or three proven players

Last season's 'small' squad barely had 'enough' to cope with league fixtures (according to BR) - if Liverpool were to compete on all fronts (Champion's League hangerover weekend fixtures, FA Cup, League Cup) wouldn't they need a much bigger squad? Especially since no one player will directly replace the genius that is Luis Suarez.

Last season's 'recipe' also might not have worked as well this season: Loss of Suarez (integral to our play), second place hangover, senior (aged) players a year older, opposition reactively changing tactics - no plan B, Kohler effect. Then there's the supposed: "you score two, I score 3" philosophy. 'Easy' enough against Reading, not as easy when your opposition is Real (Madrid).

Besides, it could be argued that this season Liverpool (under BR) regressed to the mean?

Not that I'm disagreement with you - just exploring the thinking re: 'buying in bulk'.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #235: Dec 12, 2014 10:58:59 am

Last season's 'small' squad barely had 'enough' to cope with league fixtures (according to BR) - if Liverpool were to compete on all fronts (Champion's League hangerover weekend fixtures, FA Cup, League Cup) wouldn't they need a much bigger squad? Especially since no one player will directly replace the genius that is Luis Suarez.

Last season's 'recipe' also might not have worked as well this season: Loss of Suarez (integral to our play), second place hangover, senior (aged) players a year older, opposition reactively changing tactics - no plan B, Kohler effect. Then there's the supposed: "you score two, I score 3" philosophy. 'Easy' enough against Reading, not as easy when your opposition is Real (Madrid).

Besides, it could be argued that this season Liverpool (under BR) regressed to the mean?

Not that I'm disagreement with you - just exploring the thinking re: 'buying in bulk'.

That's a cracking first post mate (I think). From reading it I'm guessing you are pretty intelligent and as such I'm going to be bold and give you a tip. Clueless c***s like me have no idea what the sentence in bold means (although it does sound good I'll give you that). Neither do I have any idea what the "Kohler effect" is (that won't stop me using it though from now on, starting today in the pub for random situations).

Anyway mate welcome to the forum and post more often (just explain what you're on about for the benefit of posters like me  :laugh:).
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #236: Dec 12, 2014 11:00:58 am
      Martin Brundle had a saying for Curve Grande.
      Don't look so far around the corner that you forget where you are.

We made that mistake when we lost Suarez.
      We spent all our money the squad and future prospects and forgot to deal with
      the fact that we were losing Suarez.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #237: Dec 12, 2014 11:15:24 am
      That's a cracking first post mate (I think). From reading it I'm guessing you are pretty intelligent and as such I'm going to be bold and give you a tip. Clueless c***s like me have no idea what the sentence in bold means (although it does sound good I'll give you that). Neither do I have any idea what the "Kohler effect" is (that won't stop me using it though from now on, starting today in the pub for random situations).

Anyway mate welcome to the forum and post more often (just explain what you're on about for the benefit of posters like me  :laugh:).

It was a good first post

Welcome mate.

What he means (I think) is by returning the the mean (average) to where we have been as a squad over the previous few seasons

The Kohler effect is essentially that the team is only as good as it's weakest part.. One poor performing (Balotelli) aspect can drag down the collective (I think is how you adapt it to football) and that one superstar (Suarez) can drag some weaker aspects of the team along to his level
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #238: Dec 12, 2014 11:21:12 am

Or it could be that we lost the two top scorers in the league.
      Oh wait, that is what has happened.

The loss of Suarez and Sturridge to any team would be massive.

2013/2014:

Luis Suarez - 31 Goals. 24 Assists.
      Daniel Sturridge - 25 Goals. 9 Assists.

If we were to regress to a mean it would suggest the variables were the same.
      They clearly aren't.

They contributed half the goals the team scored.
      They created a fear factor that the team has now lost.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #239: Dec 12, 2014 11:22:11 am

Yeah, welcome mate.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #240: Dec 12, 2014 11:25:33 am
      Or it could be that we lost the two top scorers in the league.
      Oh wait, that is what has happened.

The loss of Suarez and Sturridge to any team would be massive.

2013/2014:

They clearly aren't.

Luis' assists record was stupidly good wasn't it.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #241: Dec 12, 2014 11:46:23 am
      Luis' assists record was stupidly good wasn't it.

It's ridiculous.
      Almost a goal and an assist per game.
      Irreplaceable.
      Fowlersleftpeg
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #242: Dec 12, 2014 11:47:24 am
      First off, thank you gentlemen for a warm welcome.

bigmick: Thanks for the compliment, hardly the case but thanks anyways.:)

'Regressing to a mean' is a fancy way of saying:water will always find its own level.

Kohler effect: The weaker individuals in a team sport will work harder in an attempt to either a)'compete' with the superstars, or b) because they believe their cog in the machine is just as important.

2013/2014:

They clearly aren't.

Luis Suarez  Apps (goals)
      (2011/12) - 48 (26)
      (2012/13) - 48 (33)
      (2013/14) - 39 (33)

Daniel Sturridge
      (2011/12) - 45 (13)
      (2012/13) - 32 (14)
      (2013/14) - 42 (28)

Or put another way (using Anderson's analogy):

AVB's final 5 games at Chelsea yielded 1 point per game. Di Matteo took over the last 11 and averaged 1.64 points per game. It appears that Di Matteo had done a better job than AVB right?

However, for the other 27 matches of the season, AVB averaged 1.7! It could be argued Chelsea simply regressed to the mean.

Rodger's first few Liverpool campaigns = 8th/7th, last season = "a slip away', this season (albiet just the start) = closer to 8/7th than to 2nd.

I reiterate, this is merely an argument - not definitative by any means. No one certainly is denying the effect of the loss of our strikers.

« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2014 03:31:49 pm by Fowlersleftpeg »
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #243: Dec 15, 2014 02:24:57 pm

Welcome and good post.

For me it highlights how dangerous it is to assume that whatever worked last season would work this season too.

Premiership football is a very fast moving sport in which the other teams learn to adapt quickly. All the best managers are constantly thinking about how to improve things even when they are experiencing success.

The temptation is to fall back on what you know but without the element of surprise a plan is rarely as good as it was the first time around.

Quick Reply