Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

OK, so far we're not very good. What are the reasons and how do we fix it?

Read 16814 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: OK, so far we're not very good. What are the reasons and how do we fix it?
      Reply #69: Sep 23, 2014 11:05:00 am
      To answer the topic question - we are sh*t at the back and sh*t going forward, it's that simple.

I'll start with Mignolet. I've said it from day one but he isn't good enough. A great shot stopper but he's awful at everything else. He can't organise a defence, he can't command his box, he can't catch, he doesn't come off his line AND THEN WHEN HE DOES he causes absolute chaos. Mignolet isn't good enough to be first choice keeper here.

Manquillo. Might be on my own here and I know its early days so it's a bit unfair to write him off but from what I've seen so far I don't rate him either. He's all over the place for me. Can't defend and doesn't contribute going forward. When he does go forward he reminds me of Kelly, just passes it sideways or back to his CB. The sooner Johnson is back the better and that's saying something.

Skrtel has looked all over the place.

Lovren seems to be doing 3 peoples jobs.

Moreno looks a class act but we don't involve him enough. The way the sh*te use Baines for example we should be doing the exact same with him.

Gerrard is an awful DM but a great playmaker. He has been man marked the last couple of games and he therefore hasn't been able to put his stamp on the game so it's as if we've been playing with ten men with a big gap in midfield. As soon as Gerrard was man marked Brendan should have brought him off and lined up a different way.

Sterling and Coutinho are trying too much. Havent seen enough of markovic.

Henderson is a steady eddy. Lallana doesn't look match fit. Lucas isn't the same player and were missing Joe Allens work rate.

Balotelli is pretty lazy. Doesn't work hard enough. Borini is crap. Lambert should be given more game time. We badly miss Sturridge and don't look a threat going forward without him.

We can't defend and we don't look like scoring either - it's a nightmare at the moment.

xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #70: Sep 23, 2014 11:58:21 am
      I think 4-2-3-1 could be the answer with Henderson playing along side Gerrard. Playing them both deeper should help firm up our defence and allow for more control in possession. I'd also like to see us slow the overall pace of the game and build attacks instead of relying solely on pace as at the moment it seems uncoordinated all over the pitch. We can still counter attack but we have to time it better.

Unfortunately I think we need to replace Mignolet. He's a good shot stopper but his inability to command his area is a serious flaw that needs addressing.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #71: Sep 23, 2014 12:10:54 pm
      Get Jamie Carragher off of F***ing sky and working at Melwood with our so called defenders. BRs tactical genius is restricted to going one way.

I thought that yesterday then I thought; why would that even work? Just because he can waffle a lot on Sky and was a decent defender it doesn't mean it'd translate into a great defensive coach.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,167 posts | 8548 
      Reply #72: Sep 23, 2014 12:16:43 pm
      I thought that yesterday then I thought; why would that even work? Just because he can waffle a lot on Sky and was a decent defender it doesn't mean it'd translate into a great defensive coach.

Exactly Newcastle did the same some ten years ago with Mark Lawrenson, see how good it done them. I think the Sky job is a perfect way for Carra to keep his hand in football without being totally involved, think he wanted that little break first.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #73: Sep 23, 2014 12:18:09 pm
      We should be playing 4 4 2, sod all this diamond crap leaving the midfield and flanks exposed.
      Cover on the wings and bodies staying  in the centre, wing backs can use the wingers to overlap or  to pass to.
      I may be mistaken obviously, but the tactics have gone to sh*t and it isn't working, too experimental and over thinking the simplest game in the world.
      So 3 2 4 1 1 and all that business is just over complicating matters even more, when the new players in the team just need to get to play in a solid formation.

I like formations that move in a unit and people keep their positions or when they move someone else slots into the space they left.
      The best team to do that I've seen has always been Germany.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #74: Sep 23, 2014 12:21:50 pm
      Exactly Newcastle did the same some ten years ago with Mark Lawrenson, see how good it done them. I think the Sky job is a perfect way for Carra to keep his hand in football without being totally involved, think he wanted that little break first.

Well he loves his football so it's an ideal job (talking about footy on tv).
      He may move into coaching who knows, but most ex players don't. Stress levels and all that maybe.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #75: Sep 23, 2014 12:29:14 pm
      Well he loves his football so it's an ideal job (talking about footy on tv).
      He may move into coaching who knows, but most ex players don't. Stress levels and all that maybe.

He also said he was never offered a coaching role, that Brendan knew he was retiring long before the public did and there was a never a conversation
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #76: Sep 23, 2014 12:34:59 pm
      He also said he was never offered a coaching role, that Brendan knew he was retiring long before the public did and there was a never a conversation

Oh well just goes to show, how we can assume he'd instantly be offered some coaching role here, maybe Brendan thought he may try to undermine his role; as in- be too vocal at half time and not know when to hand duties to the manager (another assumption by me)
      BR seems to like ex players coming to Melwood and helping out but maybe their role doesn't carry much responsibility overall.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #77: Sep 23, 2014 01:10:05 pm
      I think 4-2-3-1 could be the answer with Henderson playing along side Gerrard.

Sorry  mate but every time these two have played as a two in midfield it's been a train wreck.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #78: Sep 23, 2014 03:18:00 pm
      I still believe that the best system which suits our style is the classic 4-4-2 with Mings-Manquillo-Skrtel-Lovren-Moreno-Hendo-Can-Sterling-Lallana/Markovic-Mario-Dan the Man

With the mention that Can could be used also as a right back , and Stevie in the middle in his place ...
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,013 posts | 523 
      Reply #79: Sep 23, 2014 07:22:49 pm
      Sorry  mate but every time these two have played as a two in midfield it's been a train wreck.

I thought we did well last season when we played a 4-2-3-1, with those 2 as the 2.

I'd play it now anyway, especially with our current injuries, cos it gets our best players on the park ( eg Lallana + Coutinho for Lucas + Borini).
      Plus it gives us an extra body in midfield, which we could do with.
      Plus it'd be easier for Stevie and Hendo to alternate roles in game, to throw off the man-marker on Stevie.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4928 
      Reply #80: Sep 23, 2014 10:46:26 pm
      I still believe that the best system which suits our style is the classic 4-4-2 with Mings-Manquillo-Skrtel-Lovren-Moreno-Hendo-Can-Sterling-Lallana/Markovic-Mario-Dan the Man

With the mention that Can could be used also as a right back , and Stevie in the middle in his place ...

Mignolet

Manquillo  Skrtel  Lovren  Moreno

Henderson  Can  Sterling  Lallana

Balotelli  Sturridge

I'm glad you're not picking the side anytime is all I can say.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #81: Sep 23, 2014 10:47:42 pm
      Boss at scoring pens though.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #82: Sep 24, 2014 12:06:12 pm
      Mignolet

Manquillo  Skrtel  Lovren  Moreno

Balotelli  Sturridge

I'm glad you're not picking the side anytime is all I can say.

Why ?

Hendo and Can in the midfield, Sterling RW and Lallana LW ... it-s a 4-2-2-2
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4928 
      Reply #83: Sep 24, 2014 12:07:58 pm
      Why ?

Hendo and Can in the midfield, Sterling RW and Lallana LW ... it-s a 4-2-2-2

Got it now mate.

Read it the way you wrote it and looked like you had Raheem as CM.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #84: Sep 24, 2014 12:46:59 pm

Balotelli  Sturridge

I'm also starting to think these need to be the front 6.
      I don't like Lallana wide tho.

But atleast we have mobility in deep midfield.
      We have reasonable brains in Lallana. Playmaking and runs from Raheem.
      Can and Hendo might also allow the fullbacks to push a little, without us being slaughtered on the break.
      Hendo or the right back can push right.
      Can, Sterling and the left back can push left.
      Sterling and Sturridge can drift wide or push down the middle.

Sadly, it'd all look a little cobbled still. But perhaps the least cobbled 1st 11, atleast til Markovic settles in.

PS I wonder if Rodgers has considered a back 3:-

Mignolet
                 Skrtel Lovren Sakho
      Manquillo etc                      Moreno
             2 of Henderson/Can/Gerrard/Lallana
                         Sterling
                    Sturridge Balotelli
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,167 posts | 8548 
      Reply #85: Sep 24, 2014 12:48:50 pm
      I still believe that the best system which suits our style is the classic 4-4-2

Don't know why, I imagine you saying this in the voice of Roy Hodgson.

Four-Four-Facking-Two!!

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #86: Sep 24, 2014 12:49:53 pm
      go through all the top teams including ours and they all have one thing in common a very strong spine from the goalkeeper to the Centre forward.
      Even recently Chelsea had Cech,Terry,Drogba and city now have Hart,  Kompany and Aguero. You can go back 50 years to Lawrence, Yeats and Hunt we do not at present have settled spine running through the team. we really need to get a lot tighter and stop letting in goals or we will achieve nothing this season. We have spent enough on CB's including letting a very good one for peanuts. its time for the players to man up and show some aggression and commitment.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #87: Sep 24, 2014 12:52:00 pm
      With a 442, the q is whether your 2 is Balo+Sturr.
      Or does Sterling go in the 2?

And then what the midfield 4 is. It isnt an easy one to pick.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #88: Sep 24, 2014 01:28:39 pm
      With a 442, the q is whether your 2 is Balo+Sturr.
      Or does Sterling go in the 2?

And then what the midfield 4 is. It isnt an easy one to pick.

Has to be Balotelli and Sturridge.
      They'll destroy teams when they get going.

Sterling plays at the top of the diamond, like last season.

4-4-2 (Diamond)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #89: Sep 24, 2014 01:37:59 pm

I agree with this. They have never clicked as a pair. Henderson for me is not a sitting midfielder, his passing and defensive ability (positional and tackling) doesn't allow it. With Gerrard, he needs a quick defensive midfielder to sit along side him and Henderson isn't that fit.

I still think we're better off with the diamond or 3 midfielders, and with the right players in that midfield, I can see us dominate possession.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #90: Sep 24, 2014 02:26:38 pm
      Has to be Balotelli and Sturridge.
      They'll destroy teams when they get going.

Sterling plays at the top of the diamond, like last season.

4-4-2 (Diamond)

Thats the 3 I'd *want* to see work. The question marks are Balotelli, and how many games Raheem could/*should* play.

Possibly the harder part is what the other 3 should be.
      Lallana, Henderson, Can is a/*the best* possibility to me, currently.

Gerrard could be used sparingly (like those odious Mancs did with their veterans).
      Markovic could be used instead of Lallana against the easy teams at home.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #91: Sep 24, 2014 02:30:38 pm
      Thats the 3 I'd *want* to see work. The question marks are Balotelli, and how many games Raheem could/*should* play.

Possibly the harder part is what the other 3 should be.
      Lallana, Henderson, Can is a/*the best* possibility to me, currently.

Gerrard could be used sparingly (like those odious Mancs did with their veterans).
      Markovic could be used instead of Lallana against the easy teams at home.

Given the injuries we have no choice but to go for

Gerrard/Lucas

Henderson
                                     Lallana

With everyone back to fitness I'd like to see a alternating Henderson/Can with either Lallana or Allen given the free role.
      Before anyone complains, this is to see how a post Gerrard midfield works.

The alternative is:

Lucas

Henderson/Can               
                                             Lallana/Allen

Quick Reply