Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Has Brendan spent well this summer?

Read 11751 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Re: Has Brendan spent well this summer?
      Reply #46: Sep 22, 2014 07:25:55 pm

No you didn't. Now kindly F**k off and stop trying to undermine this thread with your bullshit remarks. It's a shame your ban was lifted.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #47: Sep 22, 2014 07:29:19 pm
      No you didn't. Now kindly f**k off and stop trying to undermine this thread with your bullshit remarks. It's a shame your ban was lifted.

I'm not undermining anything lad

I gave my opinion that it's too early to judge the summers signings after 5 games

If you think that bullshit then fine.. I think knee jerking early is too

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #48: Sep 22, 2014 07:35:12 pm
      I'm not undermining anything lad

I gave my opinion that it's too early to judge the summers signings after 5 games

If you think that bullshit then fine.. I think knee jerking early is too

Yeah, and that first post of yours I respected. The latter two not so.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #49: Sep 22, 2014 07:38:24 pm
      Yeah, and that first post of yours I respected. The latter two not so.

Sound

I just found it funny you were saying we had signed a load of fiat pandas in your car analogy
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,165 posts | 8548 
      Reply #50: Sep 22, 2014 08:19:20 pm
      It's a shame your ban was lifted.

Proper c**t of a shout that!

Emre Can may become the best buy if he stays healthy and if Brendan has the balls to use him in Gerrard's place.

No point blaming Brendan, when Can is injured at the moment.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #51: Sep 22, 2014 09:37:48 pm
      I said I was pretty happy with our transfer business at the conclusion of the window so it would be pretty cheap to start whingeing about just because we have made a poor start to the season.

Just a couple of thoughts though

- Despite being pretty happy with the Balotelli signing I nam already seriously questioning whether he was the right move. I like the effort he has been putting in and there have been some sublime touches but he is so different to the way we have generally set up to play I'm just not sure it will work.

- I remember when Fabregas was first linked with a move from Barca and most posters in the transfer thread said he was over the hill, a waste of money etc. What in fooks name were they going on about!
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #52: Sep 22, 2014 09:42:40 pm
      Sooner or later if Mario doesnt start to score, people will say Welbeck would have been a better transfer =))

I have full confidence that Mario will be a success at our club.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,184 posts | 832 
      Reply #53: Sep 22, 2014 09:44:47 pm
      Far too early to judge really. Ask the question around Christmas.

This.

But at the moment I'm really really worried.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,184 posts | 832 
      Reply #54: Sep 22, 2014 09:46:09 pm
      Sooner or later if Mario doesnt start to score, people will say Welbeck would have been a better transfer =))

I have full confidence that Mario will be a success at our club.

Balotelli might be a fantastic player but he isn't the type of striker we need, we needed someone who is similar to Suarez (not necessarily on par with his level, but same type of player). He isn't a lone striker and needs someone beside him, Sturridge might help.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #55: Sep 22, 2014 09:48:13 pm
      I don't think we needed to spend £20m on Lallana and Markovich. One or the other should have been chosen. Neither can play striker and when you already have Coutinho and Sterling that can play behind the striker, we really didn't need both.

Borini and Lambert are poor back up strikers to play with Sturridge or Balotelli. We should have got another quality striker with all the money spent. Also Mignolet, if he's not replaced, should have more of a challenge than Brad Jones.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #56: Sep 22, 2014 09:51:46 pm
      I said I was pretty happy with our transfer business at the conclusion of the window so it would be pretty cheap to start whingeing about just because we have made a poor start to the season.

Just a couple of thoughts though

- Despite being pretty happy with the Balotelli signing I nam already seriously questioning whether he was the right move. I like the effort he has been putting in and there have been some sublime touches but he is so different to the way we have generally set up to play I'm just not sure it will work.

- I remember when Fabregas was first linked with a move from Barca and most posters in the transfer thread said he was over the hill, a waste of money etc. What in fooks name were they going on about!

Were people saying that though Scott. I heard people having a similar opinion to myself and that's that he always seems to perform well in slowly ran games when he's given plenty of space but when pressured, basically in the big games, he seems to disappear.

It seemed to me the discussion wasn't if Fabregas was a good player, but if he was actually a great player, considering the price bracket we were talking about. At the time we were being linked with Muller, Reus, Benzema, Costa, Falcao, Isco, I find it funny because he's got a few assists against the small teams that he's being lauded as a great when against City he was pretty anonymous, one pass that almost made is all I saw from the lad even when City were reduced to 10.

We also had Coutinho coming off a great year in the hope he could kick on, we had Suso coming back and the managers main signing, Lallana, who would be competing for his position, most thought the money he would cost could be spent better somewhere else.

I don't think we spent our money correctly, but I do feel we aimed at all the right positions and Brendan got who he wanted. This will allow us to judge Brendan fairly this season, personally I think he's shopped at a store below the one I'd like. If I had lost one of the best players in the world I would make damn sure I had someone close to his talent coming in to soften the blow. A lot has been made of Luis being impossible to replace individually, of course that's true, but at the moment that argument seems to have devolved to the point that we shouldn't have tried to get as close as we can.

Maybe not Reus, who would have been my dream, maybe it could have been a Falcao, Costa, Muller, I don't really care who you choose to pick what I do think is that had any of our rivals lost their star player they wouldn't have been replacing them with Balotelli or Lallana, that I can be damn sure of. I actually think Balotelli has done well with us, but that's being fair on the lad without heaping too much expectation on him, Lallana I think has been poor and while for 15mins he had an impact against West Ham anyone with the ability to move further up the pitch would have because our balance to start the game was so bloody awful.

Overall we bought good players, hoping they'll become great players when we've lost a great player, it doesn't take a genius to work out those sides don't add up and we can expect to regress a little in the league this year, just how far though may depend on our defence more than attack. I think once we get Sturridge back Balotelli will kick on, Lallana will find it easier and generally our attacking play will improve, nowhere near last year but acceptable. Markovic is my worry as I like the kid but think he may end up being this years Aspas/Assaidi for some reason.

So to answer the OP, we've spent over the odds for some players, in time thanks to the current trend of football finance we wont lose out financially on this window but I don't think we'll really see the fruits of it until next year and I'm of the mentality now that I just want to see us get into the CL again by any means necessary, a title shot seems miles off.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #57: Sep 22, 2014 10:05:12 pm
      Moreno, Lallana, Markovic, Lambert and Can are all signings that have improved the squad, the price paid is irrelevant.
      Lovren, Maniqulio and Mario haven't set the world alight yet,  but I believe they'll come good.

Oligi looks decent in a poor league, so it's hard to predict how he'll fair next season, but he looks to have all the right attributes.

Given the fact that he didn't have a blank cheque book, I believe he has potentially gotten good value for money, and has improved the squad.

I hope Brendan's loyalty to certain players doesn't get in the way of bringing these guys getting playing time.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,184 posts | 832 
      Reply #58: Sep 22, 2014 10:16:16 pm
      Moreno, Lallana, Markovic, Lambert and Can are all signings that have improved the squad, the price paid is irrelevant.
      Lovren, Maniqulio and Mario haven't set the world alight yet,  but I believe they'll come good.

Oligi looks decent in a poor league, so it's hard to predict how he'll fair next season, but he looks to have all the right attributes.

Given the fact that he didn't have a blank cheque book, I believe he has potentially gotten good value for money, and has improved the squad.

I hope Brendan's loyalty to certain players doesn't get in the way of bringing these guys getting playing time.

Has Can really improved the squad? The lad hasn't really played a game and he got injured, so jury still out for him.

I'm just hoping to God he will be a quality addition.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,165 posts | 8548 
      Reply #59: Sep 22, 2014 10:23:20 pm
      Traded in the hippo for a sporty number, I'd say so yeah!!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #60: Sep 22, 2014 10:23:30 pm
      Come back in May, we'll all know by then?

YNWA
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #61: Sep 22, 2014 10:27:04 pm
      Has Can really improved the squad? The lad hasn't really played a game and he got injured, so jury still out for him.

I'm just hoping to God he will be a quality addition.
      True,  but from what I've little I've seen of him he looks like an intelligent player,  time will tell ( if BR gives him game time)
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #62: Sep 22, 2014 11:13:01 pm
      Yea, He's spent well this summer..
      I just think he doesn't really know his strongest 11 right now..
      For me , he's cherry picking players each week and there's no real format to his method..
      It's almost like who ever wins the 5 a side in training plays..
      We've seen Balotelli/Borini , Balotelli/Lambert , Sturridge/Balotelli, Borini/Lambert , all in the first 5 games..
      He said in an interview earlier today that when you sign for Liverpool you really should be of the quality to hit the ground running..
      Have we seen that from any of his new signings ?.. no !
      Twatty b***ard injuries have no doubt f**ked up his plans in a way so we can sympathise, can't we?
      It's games like Everton at Anfield on Saturday we're the likes of Lallana, Manquillo,Sakho, Lovren & even Markovic will suddenly find out what playing for Liverpool is all about..
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #63: Sep 23, 2014 12:14:31 am
      There was alot of dick tickling and back slapping on  here after the 4-0 against Dortmund and our efforts in the transfer window were lauded and praised. Now it's the same posters 5 weeks in to the season back flipping on everything even our choice of manager, after 3 league defeats. Common sense should prevail really, you can't bring in nine new faces into the squad and expect an immediate impact people need to be realistic.

Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #64: Sep 23, 2014 12:57:46 am
      On the subject of transfer business I seen Martin Kelly having another good game on Sunday and he's got quite the fan club at palace already - http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=148267

I can understand why he was moved on although £1M was a joke. To replace him with a 19 year old with zero experience is strange to me given Johnsons travails last season.
      I do feel he could easily offer this team something, perhaps even at CB instead of Toure....shame
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #65: Sep 23, 2014 01:20:22 am
      There was alot of dick tickling and back slapping on  here after the 4-0 against Dortmund and our efforts in the transfer window were lauded and praised. Now it's the same posters 5 weeks in to the season back flipping on everything even our choice of manager, after 3 league defeats. Common sense should prevail really, you can't bring in nine new faces into the squad and expect an immediate impact people need to be realistic.

And that last sentence ties in with the debate. Was it correct for him to bring in NINE new faces?

I for one felt that we should have had a more gradual process of bringing in new faces to this club. It's easier to get 2 or 3 players to gel into a well understood system rather than having the majority of that first XI needing to learn that system.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #66: Sep 23, 2014 02:17:56 am
      And that last sentence ties in with the debate. Was it correct for him to bring in NINE new faces?

I for one felt that we should have had a more gradual process of bringing in new faces to this club. It's easier to get 2 or 3 players to gel into a well understood system rather than having the majority of that first XI needing to learn that system.

Last year's squad was bare thin with no European football to contend.

This year we are in the CL with a minimum of an additional 8 games hopping around Europe. Suarez was sold and two players returned from loan to their parent club so the numbers game would indicate a reduction in squad size. Add to that list a few who couldn't cut the mustard and were shipped out i.e. Assaidi, Kelly, Agger and Wisdom. That's 7 out the door with nine new faces brought in and Suso and Borini not loaned that is not a significant increase in terms of squad size.

No transfer can guarantee success there is a plethora of examples of players setting other leagues alight and coming to the PL and becoming totally sh*te, much like there is examples of players performing in the PL and moving to other clubs in the league and completely struggling.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #67: Sep 23, 2014 07:30:41 am

Look at the injuries we have at the moment and if we had gone by your recommendation we would really be up the sh*t creak, thank God your not involved on the transfer committee.

AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #68: Sep 23, 2014 08:43:02 am
      Its strange how Kelly is considered to have lost too much mobility(ok he has lost a lot from his peak!). But Lucas (and arguably Gerrard) start matches.

EDIT: What I mean to say is I think Lucas and Gerrard aren't good enough for a team of Lpool's calibre.
      « Last Edit: Sep 23, 2014 09:37:03 am by AmericanPlant »

Quick Reply