Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. UPDATE: 6th April - Will we get top 4?

No
      115 (75.2%)
      Yes
      38 (24.8%)

Total Members Voted: 150

The Top 4. Can we get there?

Read 124005 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Re: The Top 4. Can we get there?
      Reply #46: Oct 02, 2014 10:41:41 am
      I'm staying neutral here I think it's 50/50 .
      Not wrong. We are 3 losses in 6 PL games and 1 win of two CL games.
      To extrapolate, maybe that's a 50% win/lose rate.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,351 posts | 2818 
      Reply #47: Oct 05, 2014 05:14:11 pm
      Only a point from 4th now...

Just need to get on a decent run and keep our key players fit.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #48: Oct 05, 2014 07:27:51 pm
      Given how piss poor the rest of the teams are, bar Chelsea and City, we should be aiming for the 3rd spot this season.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #49: Oct 05, 2014 07:33:10 pm
      Given how piss poor the rest of the teams are, bar Chelsea and City, we should be aiming for the 3rd spot this season.

Don't be such a F***ing dickhead.

We should be aiming for first. We're Liverpool Football Club
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #50: Oct 05, 2014 08:06:17 pm
      It looks like there will be a real dog fight for 4th place and I expect us to be fully involved. I can see 3rd and 4th being comfortably behind the top two positions over the course of the season and it also wouldn't surprise me if it's the lowest points total in a few years to get over the line given the mixed results thus far. The main thing is to be in and around the top 3/4 come Januaray and then in all likliehood get back in the market for another player or two. If we can keep Danny Sturridge fit I like our chances, I don't think it'll happen if we lose him for prolonged periods.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #51: Oct 05, 2014 08:22:35 pm
      If things don't change pretty fast, we'll soon be out of touch with 4th. Luck to make top 10 the way we are playing at the mo!

Of course we can get there but on the last few weeks performances we'd want to pull our fingers out pretty soon!

Seven games in and the usual suspects are positioning.
      Scum have sneaked into 4th     .......  we are only one point off  4th ......but with a window coming up please can we have a proven 20 goal striker for January because when Studge gets injured again (and he will) we will lose the pace and then end up in 7th ....if we are lucky.
      A warning.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #52: Oct 06, 2014 12:36:44 am
      Seven games in and United's playing without a recognised defence, we're playing without a recognised forward, Arsenal still can't beat the big teams, City are blowing hot and cold, and Chelsea are relying on one man (Costa) to see them through games. Right now it could be anyone's league.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #53: Oct 06, 2014 12:38:57 am
      We will get there no problems. Lallana, Sterling, Sturridge, Coutinho, Henderson, Balotelli, these guys will start banging goals in. I still think Gerrard should play a more offensive role. We often need that bit of quick decisiveness around goals and he can give it.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #54: Oct 06, 2014 09:11:33 am
      We will get there no problems. Lallana, Sterling, Sturridge, Coutinho, Henderson, Balotelli, these guys will start banging goals in. I still think Gerrard should play a more offensive role. We often need that bit of quick decisiveness around goals and he can give it.

Lallana is the only creative spark we have at present. Not saying Coutinho and Sterling are not capable of creating, but right now they are performing well below par.

Let's hope Adam comes back from international duty in one piece.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #55: Oct 06, 2014 09:40:30 am
      It's going to tight for 3rd/4th IMO. I expect 1st and 2nd to be City and Chelsea. They just look too strong. Arsenal, Spurs, Utd and ourselves will battle for the remaining places...
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #56: Oct 06, 2014 09:48:03 am
      At the moment I think how high we finish is solely dependent on how many games we can get out of Sturridge. Which is worrying considering all the money we've spent in the off season.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #57: Oct 06, 2014 09:54:07 am
      Why do people say we won't just finish inside the top 4, we will win the league. Stop it, it's F***ing embarrassing and its why every other club takes the piss out of us every year.

Don't shoot me down either, I'm just being realistic. Our competition is too great. We are 9 points off Chelsea after 7 games.

I've said elsewhere that when this team clicks/gels then I do believe we will be contenders, but that isn't for another season or two yet.

A top 4 finish is a realistic aim for this season. Do I think we will get it? Yes. Because we will get more points than the mancs and spurs. I don't think anyone else will be in the running for it.

Chelsea and City will definitely finish above us this season and I predict Arsenal will too.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #58: Oct 06, 2014 10:29:57 am
      Right now worrying about the top four is inconsequential. We need to fix the attack so that we start putting the fear in to teams again, then we need to fix the defence so that it can actually do basic defending like clearing our lines or defending high balls. Finally, Rodgers needs to learn how to close down games when we're grinding out results. There's a time to be cavalier and there's a time to park the bus. Sort these basic fundamental footballing issues out and top four will take care of itself.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #59: Oct 06, 2014 10:48:56 am
      Scariest thing is, is that it's the tactics that have looked terrible more then individual performances so that brings uncertainty about the managers judgement, not only from the fans but the players too.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #60: Oct 06, 2014 11:13:58 am
      When we/the gaffer/players talk about top four and sustaining our position I don't think it helps with players confidence, do they really believe we can challenge for the title? The gaffer and players (understandably) say that we will look at each game, do our best to win as many as we can and see where we end up. Fair enough. I would like them to say that top four is the minimum and anything less is not acceptable. It's a long season but it is obvious we are going to have to beat the teams around us home and away to take the title. Anything is possible and I will keep believing until the maths just don't add up. City look beatable this season, Chelsea look the strongest but every team has a dip.

Chelsea will walk the league unless they get rocked by multiple injuries to key players. Particularly Costa. But like you say anything is possible so this could well happen. As for us I think 3rd and 4th are really up for grabs this season and I expect us to finish in one of those positions.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #61: Oct 06, 2014 12:02:18 pm
      Why do people say we won't just finish inside the top 4, we will win the league

Because maybe some believe we can. Ever thought about that?

So it's embarrassing to believe in your own team. Alright lad, I'll remember that.

and its why every other club takes the piss out of us every year.

Who gives a F**k what other fans think? It's embarrassing to care more about their opinions than believing in your own team as far as I'm concerned.

Don't be a tit then.

Here we go again, the arl "realistic" phrase.

Liverpool Football Club don't do realism, realistically we should never of finished second last year - but we did. Realistically we should never of come back from three down in Istanbul - but we did. Realistically we should never of won a treble in 2001 - but we did. Realistically we should never of been strong enough mentally to win the League in 1990 after what happened the year before - but we did. There's hundreds more of examples where "realistically" we shouldn't of done what we did but being Liverpool Football Club, we did it anyway.

So shove your realism up your arse.

No competition is too great for Liverpool Football Club.

We are 9 points off Chelsea after 7 games.

So F***ing what? If we're still 7 points behind after 36 games, you'll have a point.

I've said elsewhere that when this team clicks/gels then I do believe we will be contenders, but that isn't for another season or two yet.

You might as well go and hibernate for the next 12-18 months then.

A top 4 finish is a realistic aim for this season.

Not for Liverpool it isn't. Winning the League is our aim.

Do I think we will get it? Yes. Because we will get more points than the mancs and spurs. I don't think anyone else will be in the running for it.

So you're admitting Arsenal are head and shoulders above us to?

Chelsea and City will definitely finish above us this season and I predict Arsenal will too.

And I predict we'll win the League.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #62: Oct 06, 2014 01:18:48 pm
      feels like 2009 all over again.  We finished second, sold our best player, and then struggled mightily the next season.  We're in big trouble.  The most worrying thing is Rodgers doesn't seem to be getting the message and keeps playing the same formation even though it doesn't work with the players we've got.

i disagree. there are similarities but big differences too. for a start, we didn't only lose xabi that summer, we lost arbeloa and sami too. we lost the spine of our midfield and 2 out of 3 of our best defenders...and we didn't buy anywhere near as many or as good replacements. johnson and aquilani were the only notable signings, and aquilani turned out to be a flop.

where as this season, i'm already believing that llalana and moreno will be 2 of our best players for years to come, can looks very promising and balo and markovic just need a bit of time. manquillo has made a decent if unspectacular start and lovren has been hot and cold. even if 3 or 4 of those players became regulars, it's already much better team than that of 2009/10 season.

i truly believe that we brought in so many new faces that they just need time. the crucial difference between us and spurs is that we bought targeted players specifically to address needs in the team and squad, where as spurs had a scattergun approach and bought players that did nothing to address the balance of the team.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #63: Oct 06, 2014 02:09:49 pm
      i disagree. there are similarities but big differences too. for a start, we didn't only lose xabi that summer, we lost arbeloa and sami too. we lost the spine of our midfield and 2 out of 3 of our best defenders...and we didn't buy anywhere near as many or as good replacements. johnson and aquilani were the only notable signings, and aquilani turned out to be a flop.

where as this season, i'm already believing that llalana and moreno will be 2 of our best players for years to come, can looks very promising and balo and markovic just need a bit of time. manquillo has made a decent if unspectacular start and lovren has been hot and cold. even if 3 or 4 of those players became regulars, it's already much better team than that of 2009/10 season.

i truly believe that we brought in so many new faces that they just need time. the crucial difference between us and spurs is that we bought targeted players specifically to address needs in the team and squad, where as spurs had a scattergun approach and bought players that did nothing to address the balance of the team.

Hope you are right!   :clap:

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #64: Oct 06, 2014 03:22:27 pm
      Far to early to be chucking the f***in towel in, ye who have little faith, most folk keep comparing this season to last but it's totally different, last season was absolutely fantastic, for us to expect a similar scenario we'd be deluding ourselves,

Gone is our special one, losing the best player on the planet and with him 30+ goals, was always impossible to replace,

Even had he stayed it wasn't guaranteed we'd go one better, while the main two strengthened considerably we simply cannot match their spending power,

We have also strengthened but not with the type of quality we could afford,  both city & chavs had strength in depth already,we on the other hand are playing catch up in that regard, those two have simply added quality to their ranks while we're trying to do both,

Can we still achieve a top 4 finish?  You f***in bet we can, who are the main protagonists? In reality only Arse, Saints, and blueshite,  forget scum, they have yet
      To play anyone of note, have some non existing defence and are currently in a false position
      arse I believe will be up there when the time comes, I think it will be down to a straight fight between us and them, Saints and blueshite will push and push but I think ours and the arse quality will shine through,

Alot will depend in our journey in the CL, if we make it to the knockout stages I think we will do well in the prem if we end up in the uefa sh*t, it's going to kill us, Thursday /Sunday matches seriously F**k you up,

Getting back to the main point I just feel our season hasn't took off yet, we had a pretty tough start,  a few injuries ie,Lallana,  Can, Flanagan, Sturridge, 
      New player's trying to bed in, a new system to adjust to, new faces to familiarise with,those f***in international breaks,
      We just haven't got going yet, but we will, 

We just need to be patient, it's a marathon not a jog round Stanley park,

We may have lost Luis,  we may have lost our fear factor but we haven't lost our spirit,  our passion,  our determination,  just wait and see,
      ONWARDS AND UPWARDS. !
      WE GO AGAIN.!

YNWA
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #65: Oct 06, 2014 03:28:03 pm
      Strongest 2 are obviously Man C and Chelsea.
      Manc Utd are v strong going fwd, not so strong defensively.
      Arse are solid. Spurs are ok.

By most technical measures you'd have to say we are *similar* to Arse, who are the 4th of that group.
      By December/Nov, I think we could do ok against most teams, as a one off atleast. But we haven't got that magic, that conistency, the variety to clock up win after win. To take teams apart rather than fall into  a stalemate.

I think  we have to field the best players in the league, and ignore the 2 domestic cups  a bit. And its likely CL will ignore US.

Lallana, a mature player, even tho not top bracket looks the early pic of our new recruits because he has the potential to hit the ground running. Markovic may come good fairly soon. Much rests on Sturridge. Balotelli will blow hot and cold.  Gerrard will labour on. Sterling will be forced to carry too much on his young shoulders, but will do well. The defence will remain dodgy because of the midfield and tactics.

We CAN realistically challenge Arsenal. But TBH all this "4th is everything" just sickens me.
      Its the old sh*t where it looks like Liverpool, but doesn't FEEL like Liverpool again.Much like when Bodgson was here, or when Xabi left, or when Carroll (cough) "led" the line. I imagine some of the squad feel rather deflated at the moment.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #66: Oct 06, 2014 03:53:46 pm
      having seen Arsenal.SPurs,Everton and UTD I can't see any of them finishing above us so top 4 definitely and with it being still very early I am not yet ready to throw in the towel for the league.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #67: Oct 06, 2014 04:24:52 pm
      having seen Arsenal.SPurs,Everton and UTD I can't see any of them finishing above us so top 4 definitely and with it being still very early I am not yet ready to throw in the towel for the league.

Yeah, I agree mate. I honestly think Chelsea are going to stroll the league this term, but hopefully we can at least push them a bit. With Studge coming back into the team after the break I expect us to step our game up a notch. We have the quality to finish top 3, and all we need is to string some wins together before Christmas to build confidence and team chemistry.
      viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #68: Oct 06, 2014 04:24:54 pm
      This Chelsea side is really good. Don't see them losing the title this season.

As for a top4 finish, I think we can do it. Don't see Arsenal, Manchester or Tottenham better than us.

Quick Reply