Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. UPDATE: 6th April - Will we get top 4?

No
      115 (75.2%)
      Yes
      38 (24.8%)

Total Members Voted: 150

The Top 4. Can we get there?

Read 123450 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: The Top 4. Can we get there?
      Reply #736: Feb 22, 2015 10:25:00 pm
      Arsenal will get 3rd. They are masters at beating average teams this time of the season and doing just enough. Against good teams they usually lose, but there's not enough good teams in the league to beat them.

I'd said similar about Spurs and Southampton and it's probably even more true about Arsenal - if they beat us I think they will finish above us.  Especially with the games they have left.  If they beat us it's a big ask for us to be 8 points better than them over the other 11 games (taking goal difference into account).

but I always look at GD and games lost to sort out the correct top 4 positions

Funny you should say that because I always do similar (especially on the GD).  For some reason goal difference is often an extremely good predictor of placings at the top and bottom even a long way out from the end of the season.

Classic case in point is exactly one year ago today - 27 games played.  This was the league table.

1. Chelsea Pts 60 GD 28
      2. Arsenal Pts 59 GD 25
      3. Man City Pts 57 GD 42
      4. Liverpool Pts 53 GD 34

How did the top four finish up from this? In the exact order of GD.

And at the other end of the table the 3 teams with the worst GD, even though one of them wasn't in the bottom three at the time - all went down.

Obviously doesn't bode very well for us this season as it stands.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #737: Feb 22, 2015 10:32:45 pm
      I'd said similar about Spurs and Southampton and it's probably even more true about Arsenal - if they beat us I think they will finish above us.  Especially with the games they have left.  If they beat us it's a big ask for us to be 8 points better than them over the other 11 games (taking goal difference into account).

Funny you should say that because I always do similar (especially on the GD).  For some reason goal difference is often an extremely good predictor of placings at the top and bottom even a long way out from the end of the season.

Classic case in point is exactly one year ago today - 27 games played.  This was the league table.

1. Chelsea Pts 60 GD 28
      2. Arsenal Pts 59 GD 25
      3. Man City Pts 57 GD 42

And at the other end of the table the 3 teams with the worst GD, even though one of them wasn't in the bottom three at the time - all went down.

Ye its usually spot on. This time round we have to hope it wont be. We were unexpectedly poor for so long this season, so hopefully its unexpected in the charts that we finish top 4.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #738: Feb 22, 2015 11:04:36 pm
      GD is a bit of a problem, it's essentially putting us a further point adrift as I don't see us beating a couple of teams 5-0 to catch Arsenal and United in that regard.

I'd agree with people saying Arsenal are almost certain to get in, they've only got two big games left (one of them being us and our record at the Emirates is awful). What's giving me confidence is that United aren't playing well enough to win many of their big games so they'll definitely drop points from now on in, just a question of whether we can keep our momentum going to take advantage and then beat them at Anfield next month. Still wouldn't rule out Spurs though - especially if Fiorentina knock them out on Thursday.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #739: Feb 22, 2015 11:09:49 pm

1. Chelsea Pts 60 GD 28
      2. Arsenal Pts 59 GD 25
      3. Man City Pts 57 GD 42

Very interesting that mate.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #740: Feb 22, 2015 11:14:49 pm
      It's on, but as mentioned GD is the key, if we can start putting 4 away most games like last season without letting in 3 our end we can achieve it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #741: Feb 22, 2015 11:15:38 pm
      HAVE to beat Arsenal.
      Both are the form teams at the moment.
      Liverpool 1st. Arsenal 2nd.
      Only a point gained in the last six games.

6 points taken out of United and Southampton and Spurs.
      7 points taken out of City.

Gap is too big to City and a defeat to Arsenal would leave the gap too big for 3rd.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #742: Feb 23, 2015 03:21:10 am
      I think we haven't really seen the best of our boys.City match just might give us the boost which arsenal home gave us.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #743: Feb 23, 2015 12:54:21 pm
      It's a three horse race for two positions which most of us predicted months ago.

Southampton are dropping off now which is what we all expected. They will finish 6th or 7th.

Spurs need to finish above two teams out of Arsenal, the mancs and ourselves.  That's not going to happen so Im ruling them out.

The mancs have looked awful all season but they keep picking up points which is really annoying. They've had a little bit of a lead on us for some time now but lets see how they handle the pressure knowing we are right behind them waiting for them to slip up. I went on their forum yesterday and a lot of them are shitting themselves now.

Arsenal always scrape in and I expect them to this season as well. They have a nice run in too. I don't know why people keep saying they finish the season strong though because I've always felt the opposite. Arsenal always seem to be top of the league around Christmas but come May they end up 3rd or 4th. I've got no stats to back that up, it's just what I've always had in my head for some reason. I can't remember Arsenal being in a position like we are in currently and then going on a run to finish in the top 4.

Tell you what though. Nobody wants to play us at the moment do they? Couldn't care less what our run in is, we are capable of beating anybody at the moment. Bring on your Manchester united. Bring on your cockneys by the score.

Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #744: Feb 23, 2015 12:58:44 pm
      Said it before, I think we'll finish third.

Me too I don't follow the idea arsenal are so great we can def make up three points on them. I don't even think we necessarily need to win there a draw would Be good
      Difference with them this year is they may go on a run in Europe when in recent years they've always went out last 16 - all to play for, bet they're all bricking it looking at how we're playing
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #745: Feb 23, 2015 01:27:14 pm
      if we can beat city or utd and draw with one of them then i think we can push for 3rd
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #746: Feb 23, 2015 02:10:43 pm
      We deffo look the freshest side in the league right now. We also now have 17-18 players on rotation capable of puting in a shift, with Gerrard and Lucas coming back fresh for the final part of season. Dont think GD is a worry at all as if we keep improving we could finish well above United (and Spurs, Saints for that matter). I also believe its about time we start hammering small clubs and our GD will be significantly better in the end.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #747: Feb 23, 2015 07:03:44 pm
      I must of sat and looked at the table and fixtures for hours over the last few weeks. Thinking if we beat them, they lose there and so on and so on. But in the end it's all ifs buts and maybes, truly anything can happen, and that's all that can be honestly said.

So we just have to go by the old cliche of take one game at a time and try and win. If we do continue our current form we will get top 4, simples!!
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #748: Feb 23, 2015 07:14:19 pm
      Said it before, I think we'll finish third.

Agree, with Arsenal taking the last spot.
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #749: Feb 23, 2015 08:09:00 pm
      I think that we should prioritize the top 4 league over the Uefa cup. We play Citeh less than 64 hours following the game in Istanbul...which is 4 hours plane and 2 hours of jetlag. Citeh would have played home on Tuesday.
      If I were BR I would play a B team against Besiktas and rest the top guns to take down Citeh.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #750: Feb 23, 2015 08:18:04 pm
      If I've got it right if we finish 3rd or above it's auto qualifing for the CL if we finish 4th its a qualifying game for the CL ? if thats the case surely it's better to go for the Europa league as it's automatic group stage qualifying for the winners!
      Regarding top 4 we are only 2 pts away, we don't really have much work to do other than continue to play the we are doing and let the other (mixed form teams) worry about us !
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #751: Feb 23, 2015 08:29:43 pm
      Tiredness from flights and travel aside, I dont see how a team of players this age, paid this much money, cant be in great shape after 3 days off. Yes they train during the day.... think they arrive in work for 10 and leave at 2? Bunch of ponies.

Best team on all fronts... Lets see what we can get from this season.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #752: Mar 01, 2015 02:19:10 pm
      I will decide next sunday if we can or can not get 4th. 1 point and we may be able, 3 and we definitely can/will, zero and I dont think we will. Its that simple really... Ha

So we certainly can now IMO.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #753: Mar 01, 2015 02:37:42 pm

We need W22, D8, L8 = 74. Thats winning 13 from 18, Drawing 3 and only losing 1 more. Jesus thats going to be hard considering where we still have to go.
      Stats wise forget about it.

Stats wise.... Ha

Since then we have won 5 and drawn 1, no losses. That incredible form. Dont think the 74 is accurate anymore. Recon from the last 11 we need 24 points, totaling 72. Thats;

Burnley H - Win 3 points - Should be routine 3
      Swanswa A - Draw 1 points - bit of form but 1-3 points min from this.
      Utd H - Win 3 points - Their away form is muck, they havent played well in ages but are on a run still. 3 points well achievable.
      Arsenal A - Lose 0 Points - Havent lost at home in 6, could nick a point or 3 but being conservative.
      Newcastle H - Win 3 Points - sh*t form and well beatable. Expect 3.
      Hull A - Win 3 points - Should be 3 points.
      West Brom A - Win 3 Points - Should be 3 points.
      QPR H - Win 3 points - Expected 3.
      Chelsea A - Lose 0 Points - Tough team to beat at bridge, will be conservative and say nothing from this.
      Palace H - Win 3 Points - Should be 3.
      Stoke A - Win 3 Points. - Good at home but min 1 should be 3.

25 Points - Would take that - Totally 73. Being generous and cruel but I think over the course of it we should be there or there abouts.

73 should be enough to take us to 4th for sure. Beating utd could be the difference. Wouldnt like to risk it coming down to GD.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #754: Mar 01, 2015 03:06:06 pm
      It's a wonder that Man Utd are into top 4 given how shockingly piss poor they are. We'll trash them at Anfield.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #755: Mar 01, 2015 03:24:32 pm
      If we beat United at Anfield we'll 100% be in the top four, quite confident even if we draw that one actually. Still a bit unsure of overtaking Arsenal considering our form at the Emirates is awful.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #756: Mar 01, 2015 03:42:48 pm
      26 points from last 10 games. 8wins 2 draws. Keep that form and 3rd could be achievable.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #757: Mar 01, 2015 05:13:38 pm
      On current form we'll get 3rd spot .
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #758: Mar 01, 2015 05:30:53 pm
      Looking good now but I've said after each game for a couple of months now we've just got to keep going. There was a spell where nobody around us were dropping points,now we've closed the gap a bit but still one bad result could derail us.
      It reminded me today of last season going for the league, won't ever get over that  :f_wah:

Come on lads keep it going,p.s. we'd have pi$$ed that Capitol One Cup Final today, we'll save it for FA Cup Final  ;)

Quick Reply