Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. UPDATE: 6th April - Will we get top 4?

No
      115 (75.2%)
      Yes
      38 (24.8%)

Total Members Voted: 150

The Top 4. Can we get there?

Read 124013 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Re: The Top 4. Can we get there?
      Reply #69: Oct 06, 2014 04:26:27 pm
      having seen Arsenal.SPurs,Everton and UTD I can't see any of them finishing above us so top 4 definitely and with it being still very early I am not yet ready to throw in the towel for the league.

To be honest they probably feel exactly the same way about us. We've hardly set the world on fire this season either.

Miracles do not exist. There are three teams undoubtedly stronger than us, maybe four. I think it'll be a good fight for a CL place this season. Why kid yourselves to only be left disappointed?

Chelsea will win the title, no doubt. We could learn a thing or two from them this season.. it's called grit. We are too lightweight in the middle of the park and in attack.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #70: Oct 06, 2014 04:27:05 pm
      Glad that Arsenal dropped points.  Let's be honest - we are not going to challenge Chelsea and City this season so any points they take off United, Arsenal, Spuds and (laugh) Everton is going to be good for us.

Considering we've played 2 of our big games already, and the fact we are only a point off United....  I think we hold a strong case for 3rd.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #71: Oct 06, 2014 05:37:10 pm
      Miracles do not exist. There are three teams undoubtedly stronger than us, maybe four. I think it'll be a good fight for a CL place this season. Why kid yourselves to only be left disappointed?

City and Chelsea are the only 2 I'd say are stronger than us right now. Spuds are a mess, arsenal look like they will blow hot and cold, and man u are only a point better with a substantially easier opening to their campaign. I'd argue that there are 3 teams competing for 2 spots, but I think we are best place at this time to finish in 3rd. Just my opinion...
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,509 posts | 1476 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #72: Oct 06, 2014 06:09:04 pm
      Obviously, Chelsea are the favourites and I'll think they'll win the league with ease. After them I think the next three places are no certainty for any team.... Us, Man Utd, Arsenal, Man City, Tottenham, and maybe even a team like Southampton will have to scrap for them till the end so I think this year taking points from pretty much all the 'top' teams is vital if we are gonna get it, but this is football, you can't ever call it and who knows, maybe we'll win the whole thing, I'm hoping so! Until it's mathematically impossible, there will always be part of me that believes we can do it, against any odds.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #73: Oct 06, 2014 06:53:11 pm
      Yes we can. We do have new players and a new system from last season so it will be difficult. The 4 4 2 diamond was forced on BR last season to complement the SAS, I know it worked but we don't have that attack this season so its going to have to be 4 2 3 1 or 4 3 3, we have bought players for these systems. Sturridge will have to adapt to playing up front on his own also as we will not have the same attack with Sturridge and Ballo as it was with Sturridge and Suarez. Its also more difficult with 3 of the back 4 being new and young. Mignolet hasn't helped either. I'm sure Markovic will turn out to be a very good player but he's going to need time.

There are positives though. I think Lallana is going to be very important to us. We have Allen and Can to come back who will bring some much needed energy to our midfield and cover. I just hope now that Johnson is coming back he will be a better player than of late as he does bring experience and cover. I'm sure Skrtel and Lovren will gel, well they have to. Sterling is just a phenomenon and Coutinho is just going to have to pull his socks up and work harder. I don't believe Gerrard is finished, like some people do but when we have the cover he has to be used wisely. I think Ballotelli is just going to have to bide his time when Sturridge comes back, he's only back up to the main man for me. We will just have to stick to the formation and tactics that BR chooses, he'll get us there.
      IBWT YNWA
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #74: Oct 06, 2014 07:46:39 pm
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #75: Oct 06, 2014 09:26:46 pm
      City and Chelsea are the only 2 I'd say are stronger than us right now. Spuds are a mess, arsenal look like they will blow hot and cold, and man u are only a point better with a substantially easier opening to their campaign. I'd argue that there are 3 teams competing for 2 spots, but I think we are best place at this time to finish in 3rd. Just my opinion...

Yeah could well be.

This top four talk does annoy me for a couple of reasons:

1. Chelsea shouldn't even exist anymore. They should be playing their football at semi pro level (AFC Chelsea) if you like. Abramovich was an idiot for saving them.

2. City should be a mid table team. Another team owned by corrupt billionaires.

It should be the big three like the old days. Us, arse and the mancs.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #76: Oct 07, 2014 01:02:26 am
      I don't think we will. We're already 1 point off the pace with only 29 games to go.

We literally need FIVE clubs to F**k up between now and the end to make it.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,654 posts | 482 
      Reply #77: Oct 07, 2014 04:35:25 am
      Well we were 7 points off the Arse back in Feb.Nobody said we would take it to the last day.And its 31 games to go.Realistically we wouldn't have won 11 games in a row or being top of the league with three games to go.When all the players gel in i think we'll be good to go for the run in.Post December i think the whole team will be in full swing.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #78: Oct 07, 2014 09:39:18 am
      Because maybe some believe we can. Ever thought about that?

So it's embarrassing to believe in your own team. Alright lad, I'll remember that.

Who gives a f**k what other fans think? It's embarrassing to care more about their opinions than believing in your own team as far as I'm concerned.

Don't be a tit then.

Here we go again, the arl "realistic" phrase.

Liverpool Football Club don't do realism, realistically we should never of finished second last year - but we did. Realistically we should never of come back from three down in Istanbul - but we did. Realistically we should never of won a treble in 2001 - but we did. Realistically we should never of been strong enough mentally to win the League in 1990 after what happened the year before - but we did. There's hundreds more of examples where "realistically" we shouldn't of done what we did but being Liverpool Football Club, we did it anyway.

So shove your realism up your arse.

No competition is too great for Liverpool Football Club.

So f**king what? If we're still 7 points behind after 36 games, you'll have a point.

You might as well go and hibernate for the next 12-18 months then.

Not for Liverpool it isn't. Winning the League is our aim.

So you're admitting Arsenal are head and shoulders above us to?

And I predict we'll win the League.

You sound about 10.

Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #79: Oct 07, 2014 09:44:28 am
      We will finish 4th, by the skin of our teeth.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #80: Oct 07, 2014 10:31:38 am
      I have a bet with my brother where I say that City will finish above Chelsea in the league and I still fancy my chances, I just feel that City have better strength in depth and a better defence than Chelsea and that that will count over the course of the season. I also think that if we can keep Sturridge fit until December and he starts being prolific again then with the addition of a top class striker in December we might just be able to push for the title, we really aren't that far off, despite recent results. Yes I know the defence is wobbly but a lot of the reason for that is that we've been so toothless in attack that we've invited pressure onto ourselves.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #81: Oct 07, 2014 10:09:55 pm

So a ten year old knows more about supporting this club than you do. Says a lot for you doesn't it lad.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #82: Oct 07, 2014 10:46:12 pm

100% positive that we'll finish in the top 4, wouldn't rule out a title challenge either!
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #83: Oct 07, 2014 11:27:51 pm

This season? Steady on. We need more goalscorers in the squad.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #84: Oct 07, 2014 11:51:36 pm
      we will walk it.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #85: Oct 07, 2014 11:56:33 pm
      We're 9 points off top, 4 points off 2nd, 3 points off 3rd and 1 point off 4th so just take this moment forward as our new season start and forget the earlier games effect on the progress from now on.
      The title is still up for the taking.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #86: Oct 08, 2014 10:10:16 am
      So a ten year old knows more about supporting this club than you do. Says a lot for you doesn't it lad.

You sound like your in a playground. ''My team wins every match 10-0'' and now that I'm in disagreement with you, you have the attitude of ''Its my ball and you can't play'' making out that I'm a poor supporter and your Mr Liverpool FC.

I support Liverpool as much as anyone, I'd love to know how much money I've spent on following them home and away for the last 26 years, but because I accept we won't win the league this season doesn't make me any less of a fan than you.

Its fans like you that I believe are a massive problem with the club. You add huge pressure onto the players and the manager.

Losing Suarez and putting in 6 or 7 new faces straight into the team I never expected us to challenge this season. The start we've made reflects my predictions.

As long as we finish inside the top four and qualify for the CL again next season, the building process can continue, and I'd expect us to challenge for the title in about 2 years.

redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #87: Oct 08, 2014 11:38:56 am
      More importantly is, BR must start to be ruthless, don't care whether player is 18 or 38, newcomer or old timer. Any player found to be not playing with full commitment and with a winning mentality will be dropped and eventually sold, that's the message to the players, no two ways about it. Call me a big bully, yes I am and i want the club to succeed and to be in the top four if not challenging for the title. No time and space for sentiments, as the saying goes ... good managers are never chummy managers, but they have to be firm, demanding and fair.

Got the impression some players treat as if they have reached the peak of their career by virtue of being bought by the club, but the message to them is their hardwork has just started the very moment they put on the jersey.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #88: Oct 08, 2014 11:48:51 am
      We havent a Costa

We havent a Courtois

Answer.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #89: Oct 08, 2014 02:50:12 pm
      More importantly is, BR must start to be ruthless, don't care whether player is 18 or 38, newcomer or old timer. Any player found to be not playing with full commitment and with a winning mentality will be dropped and eventually sold, that's the message to the players, no two ways about it. Call me a big bully, yes I am and i want the club to succeed and to be in the top four if not challenging for the title. No time and space for sentiments, as the saying goes ... good managers are never chummy managers, but they have to be firm, demanding and fair.

Got the impression some players treat as if they have reached the peak of their career by virtue of being bought by the club, but the message to them is their hardwork has just started the very moment they put on the jersey.

I'd like to ask which players you've picked out that have assumed they are at their pinnacle, so don't try hard enough as a result?
      Just curious.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #90: Oct 08, 2014 05:04:27 pm
      I'd like to ask which players you've picked out that have assumed they are at their pinnacle, so don't try hard enough as a result?
      Just curious.

Balotelli? Markovic perhaps? Both big signings for us who have performed poorly so far putting in minimal effort.

king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #91: Oct 09, 2014 02:02:24 am
      Can we?  I mean we've had an absolute disastrous start and we are a point behind 4th spot.  Things can surely only get better with players bedding in and the team gelling together.  SO for me top 4 is within arms lengths.  Winning the league were way off at the moment.

Quick Reply