Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

How to fix it. Whats the solution to our current deterioration on the pitch.

Read 1208 times
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      How to fix it. Whats the solution to our current deterioration on the pitch.
      Oct 02, 2014 01:24:47 pm
      OK its easy to see whats going wrong. We can spend all day saying "So and so was sh*t, bench him and sell him".

But how would you solve the on pitch problem, if you were in charge?
      I'm thinking the "lite solution" which will help matters. And the full blown, probably next Summer, more substantial work being done.

This is my idea:-
      1)An experienced top class keeper. I don't know if Valdes will be fit. But that sort of thing. Someone who reads the game, bosses the defence, comes for crosses etc. Not someone who's just a shot stopper. Fast, effective distribution. A COMPLETE keeper. (I wonder if Bayern might sell us Reina..  :o  :mad: )

2)Defence. Ok its not perfect. But the players (even with Agger gone, and Johnson looking to be fading away) aren't THAT bad. I don't think replacing the defenders is a priority. I think we need a better defensive coach. And a better midfield infront of them.

Manquillo and Moreno need to be nurtured. So I'd use Enrique and Flanagan, maybe Johnson if he gets back to the requisite level, intermittently with the 2 young Spaniards.

3) Central midfield.
      THIS is a big area. And its a major reason why we are crap defensively. AND why we are looking so clueless going forward. I don't think there's a SINGLE top class player in the whole midfield. Gerrard obviously used to be. But NEVER as a defensively midfielder.

Henderson is ok, but he's more of an able lieutenant than a leader. Coutinho lacks the breadth of skills, as does Allen.
      Lucas is a crock, in PL terms. Can has potential, but again has some rawness which will take time to iron out.

I'd happily shift atleast both Lucas and Allen on. And use Gerrard pretty sparingly. My solution would be to buy a WORLD class midfielder in the mold of Viera, Pogba or Yaya Toure. Thats gonna cost money yes. And guess what? The club already HAS that, in abundance. Once a player is bought, he could be a lynchpin of a CL team for the next 5, 8, TEN years even. A big fee would be a small price worth paying. IF the board are serious about us as a top level club...

The rest of the team, I'll address later.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: How to fix it. Whats the solution to our current deterioration on the pitch.
      Reply #1: Oct 02, 2014 01:25:30 pm
      Woah. This thread looks awfully F***ing familiar.

Post in here instead.
      OK, so far we're not very good. What are the reasons and how do we fix it?
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      PLEASE CLOSE THREAD AS IT DUPLICATES!
      Reply #2: Oct 02, 2014 01:28:52 pm
      True.
      Could mods please close, or rather BIN this one, if possible?
      (Hangovers eh!! haha)

Quick Reply