Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Are we a selling club?

Read 5432 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Are we a selling club?
      Oct 03, 2014 01:03:16 pm
      There isn't much need to elaborate on the title - it's pretty self explanatory. Are we a selling club?

If the general consensus was that we are a selling club, then why is that and how can we prevent it from happening in the future?

A club of this magnitude deserves a better status than that. The same could be argued that Arsenal were a selling club up until the departure of Robin Van Persie. However the difference being that they've actually retained their best players since then, and have added some world class players in the process.

What can we do to keep our best players away from the likes of Chelsea, Barca or Madrid in the future?

Xabi Alonso
      Javier Mascherano
      Fernando Torres
      Luis Suarez
      Raheem Sterling?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Are we a selling club?
      Reply #1: Oct 03, 2014 01:05:56 pm
      Players wanting to leave doesn't make us a selling club.
      If you can tell us all a sure fire way to keep players who want to move to spain, then crack on.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #2: Oct 03, 2014 01:09:28 pm
      Players wanting to leave doesn't make us a selling club.
      If you can tell us all a sure fire way to keep players who want to move to spain, then crack on.

But why do players want to leave? I see Aguero and Silva are pretty content playing in Manchester themselves, and have been so for the last 3-4 years.

Surely we should be able to keep our top players in the same manner that City and Chelsea have kept their top players.

Is it wages? Lack of ambition from the club?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3: Oct 03, 2014 01:21:02 pm
      But why do players want to leave? I see Aguero and Silva are pretty content playing in Manchester themselves, and have been so for the last 3-4 years.

Surely we should be able to keep our top players in the same manner that City and Chelsea have kept their top players.

Is it wages? Lack of ambition from the club?

Have you seen City's wage bill they are the highest paying sporting outfit in the world nevermind football....So yes wages does go a long way to explaing the attraction of City - can't be their history or past success in europe!!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4: Oct 03, 2014 01:22:56 pm

Have you seen City's wage bill they are the highest paying sporting outfit in the world nevermind football....So yes wages does go a long way to explaing the attraction of City - can't be their history or past success in europe!!

I agree, but also, not being in CL on a consistent basis doesn't help too.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #5: Oct 03, 2014 01:37:23 pm
      Every player has a value so aren't all clubs a selling club?

If we offered 250m for Messi it would get accepted.

If Raheem wants to play football elsewhere later on in his career then I'll hold no grudge - It might be for money. It might be because he wants to move himself and his family to Madrid and experience nice weather every day. It might be because he wants to win the European cup or experience playing in LA Liga.

What does annoy me, is when/if we sell players to other clubs in the prem (top 6). I can't understand why we would do business with those clubs or why any player would want to leave us for them in the first place.

If your reading this Fernando, F**k you.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #6: Oct 03, 2014 01:43:24 pm
      There isn't much need to elaborate on the title - it's pretty self explanatory. Are we a selling club?

If the general consensus was that we are a selling club, then why is that and how can we prevent it from happening in the future?

A club of this magnitude deserves a better status than that. The same could be argued that Arsenal were a selling club up until the departure of Robin Van Persie. However the difference being that they've actually retained their best players since then, and have added some world class players in the process.

What can we do to keep our best players away from the likes of Chelsea, Barca or Madrid in the future?

Xabi Alonso
      Javier Mascherano
      Fernando Torres
      Luis Suarez
      Raheem Sterling?

No we're not. You may as well suggest Real Madrid are a selling club when they release players. All clubs do. Our problem doesn't lie in the selling of players, it lies in the quality of their replacements which we have repeatedly failed to do successfully since the Premier League began. Loosing Suarez isn't a big deal if he's replaced with quality. The most successful teams don't sell Alonso and replace him with a crocked Aquiliani. They bring equal or better quality to the club. When we learn to replace quality with quality like we did in the 70s and 80s then our fortunes will rise once more.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #7: Oct 03, 2014 01:57:04 pm
      every club is a selling club..

why don't you crunch the numbers and see how we stack up against actual selling clubs? who even are the selling clubs? so many of the ones you might list like Atletico or Udinese only do it because they're struggling off field. so they might get the stigma of being a 'selling club' because they have to. but what clubs actually have the philosophy of buying cheap and selling high? no club would set out to do that.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #8: Oct 03, 2014 01:57:37 pm
      No we're not. You may as well suggest Real Madrid are a selling club when they release players. All clubs do. Our problem doesn't lie in the selling of players, it lies in the quality of their replacements which we have repeatedly failed to do successfully since the Premier League began. Loosing Suarez isn't a big deal if he's replaced with quality. The most successful teams don't sell Alonso and replace him with a crocked Aquiliani. They bring equal or better quality to the club. When we learn to replace quality with quality like we did in the 70s and 80s then our fortunes will rise once more.

You have made a good point. So you've accepted that top players need replacing, so we'll see who in effect we have replaced here:

Xabi Alonso - Alberto Aquilani
      Javier Mascherano - cannot remember
      Fernando Torres - Andy Carroll
      Luis Suarez - Mario Balotelli
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #9: Oct 03, 2014 02:03:48 pm
      every club is a selling club..

why don't you crunch the numbers and see how we stack up against actual selling clubs? who even are the selling clubs? so many of the ones you might list like Atletico or Udinese only do it because they're struggling off field.

Selling players who are surplus to requirements does not make you a selling club

Selling key players and not replacing them does make you a selling club.

You talk about Atletico being a selling club but when they sold Sergio Aguero for £38m, they brought in Falcao that very same summer for £40m.

It's slightly different to selling Suarez for £75m and then bringing in Balotelli for £16m, isn't it? By no means am I saying we had to go out and buy Neymar or Messi, but we could have done a lot better than Mario for goodness sake!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #10: Oct 03, 2014 02:03:57 pm
      You have made a good point. So you've accepted that top players need replacing, so we'll see who in effect we have replaced here:

Should have been:

Xabi Alonso - Javi Martinez
      Javier Mascherano - um?
      Fernando Torres - Aguero
      Luis Suarez - Sanchez, Firmino or Reus

:D
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #11: Oct 03, 2014 02:07:38 pm
      "Selling key players and not replacing them does make you a selling club."

I assume you mean, with key players? selling key players... and replacing them with 'key players'. well I would say Balotelli is definitely a 'key player', a first teamer. we were pretty happy to sign Balotelli and knew he was a big player, he is a big player. the price doesn't matter. you are too caught up in the price my young trolling friend.

another crap thread from you to rag on our buys and the current regime. are you paid to do this? i know there are plenty of you out there on the big football boards.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #12: Oct 03, 2014 02:11:06 pm
      Should have been:

Javier Mascherano - um?
      Fernando Torres - Aguero

Exactly right.

Some may argue it's difficult to keep hold of our stars but when have we managed to replace a star with a star in recent times?

Torres for Suarez is about the only example where you think we actually upgraded. It's been a depressing slope to watch our best talent walk out of Anfield and players of nowhere near the quality walk in.

Alonso - Aquilani
      Mascherano - Poulsen
      Suarez - Balotelli
      Torres - Suarez

All this supposed bullshit that you should support no matter what but when you see fillet steak taken from under your nose and replaced with braising steak excuse us if we find it hard to swallow.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #13: Oct 03, 2014 02:13:10 pm
      Should have been:

Javier Mascherano - um?
      Fernando Torres - Aguero

Totally F***ing agree. We either have these players lined up and ready to join or we do not sell until we do.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #14: Oct 03, 2014 02:28:37 pm
      I remember when we'd all sing "you're just a selling club" to Everton, Spurs, Arsenal and the like.
      Now all these clubs sing it to us. Chelsea and Man C, we wouldnt even abuse, because that was considered unecessary cruelty! And its not as if we should ever BE a selling club. There's no reason whatsoever we should kowtow to those 2 Spaniards OR Chelsea etc.

The yanksters want Man Utd income, and Everton expenditure. Sadly the fans have let em get away with this.

PS I cant call Nando for Luis an upgrade(even tho he became better than him in time). He was half the feee, and under half the wages. Nando was ruined by Purslow demanding the docs certify him fit when he clearly needed an op before the WCup. Remember the lies "Suarez is to play alongside Torres". Yeah right..

Looking at what we had, and what we now have, its nothing but obscene. Its like buying the original Mona Lisa, and painting over  it with a Ronald McDonald costume. Then crowing on about "great brand monetization".

These bas**rds have killed the goose that lays the golden eggs. Then killed a couple more. I dont think there are any geese left to kill for a year or so...
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #15: Oct 03, 2014 02:37:38 pm
      Using Balotelli as an example of a replacement for Suarez I feel is a bad example because I don't believe he was. I believe he was meant to be a replacement for Borini who pulled the plug on his transfer right after. Balotelli will offer us something different. If the Summer had been Suarez and Borini out, Higuain and Balotelli in, I doubt anyone would be moaning.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #16: Oct 03, 2014 02:44:06 pm
      Using Balotelli as an example of a replacement for Suarez I feel is a bad example because I don't believe he was. I believe he was meant to be a replacement for Borini who pulled the plug on his transfer right after. Balotelli will offer us something different. If the Summer had been Suarez and Borini out, Higuain and Balotelli in, I doubt anyone would be moaning.

So if Balotelli wasn't our replacement for Suarez, then who was?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #17: Oct 03, 2014 02:48:17 pm

Javier Mascherano - Christian Poulson. *Shudders*

Fernando Torres - Andy Carroll & Luis Suarez

The only time we have adequately replaced a player.
      Every other time we have spread the money across the squad.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #18: Oct 03, 2014 02:51:47 pm

No one.

I think almost every player we have signed recently has been with a view to how much we can sell them for in the future.

I'm not sure if that makes us a selling club but I don't think we sign players purely for their ability to help us succeed in the here and now.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #19: Oct 03, 2014 02:52:51 pm
      I'd say there has been a clear implementation to buy young and sell at the peak,
      so Yes. Yes, we are a selling club.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #20: Oct 03, 2014 03:09:30 pm

No one. We failed to replace him which is one of the reasons why we're in our current predicament. I do not believe the window went quite as expected and the manner in which the business was done showed a certain naivety. Suarez wanted a transfer, we agreed to it in principle but then released him despite the fact our chosen successor (Sanchez) did not want to join the club. What should have happened is that at point the fee was agreed the deal was put on hold until we'd been successful in signing a replacement. We're still doing right by the player, agreeing to his transfer, but we're doing right by the club by ensuring that his sale does not adversely affect us. We spent more time chasing Lallana and Lovren than we did finding a replacement for Suarez. In my opinion our priorities where skewed.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #21: Oct 03, 2014 03:10:59 pm
      Abso-fu*king-lutely we are. We're working to FSG'S business model of buying young with a view to future potential and profit.

It's true what Marca said in that we buy rough diamonds, polish them up and then allow the likes of Real and Bastardlona to come swooping in. 
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #22: Oct 03, 2014 03:32:16 pm

nail on head mate the answer is we haven't got one and that is the tragedy of spending £100mil on avg players. We have learned nothing from the Spurs model.

Quick Reply