Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your LFC MotM?

22. Mignolet
      (0%)
      19. Manquillo
      (0.9%)
      37. Skrtel
      (0%)
      6. Lovren
      (0%)
      18. Moreno
      (0.9%)
      8. Gerrard
      (2.7%)
      14. Henderson
      (33.3%)
      10. Coutinho
      (0%)
      20. Lallana
      (62.2%)
      31. Sterling
      (0%)
      9. Lambert
      (0%)
      45. Balotelli (sub)
      (0%)
      21. Lucas (sub)
      (0%)
      2. Johnson (sub)
      (0%)

Liverpool 2:1 West Brom. In game and post match discussion.

Read 22262 times
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Re: Liverpool 2:1 West Brom. In game and post match discussion.
      Reply #414: Oct 05, 2014 08:38:47 pm
      Think the reason why there isn't as many pages as when we've lost is that this season we may be more skeptical or less likely to revel in how excellent we are because we know that we aren't exactly convincing even at home.
      We are grinding out results, but in this league if you haven't got that extra quality- near enough any team can have their day against you, no matter what team you support.
      Cautious and relieved is probably the feeling right now, it'll get much better no doubt.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #415: Oct 05, 2014 10:06:06 pm
      2 week break for internationals??????
      Oh the joy:-(
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,600 posts | 2156 
      Reply #416: Oct 05, 2014 10:16:02 pm
      Our deputy mgr (Mid 50's, been with us for years, Chelsea season ticket holder, sensible football fan, nice fella etc) was saying to me last night that if Lallana was Spanish or Italian and did the stuff he does, people would be drooling about him. He's got a point in all honesty.

Lallanio would have probably cost a few quid more than £25 million!

Terrific performance, particularly when you consider he is probably another game or two away from full match sharpness. The absolute pick of all our signings so far by a country mile.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #417: Oct 05, 2014 11:12:41 pm
      Our deputy mgr (Mid 50's, been with us for years, Chelsea season ticket holder, sensible football fan, nice fella etc) was saying to me last night that if Lallana was Spanish or Italian and did the stuff he does, people would be drooling about him. He's got a point in all honesty.

He has a point Mick.

Lallana is a class act and it's great to see him settling in so well as he was clearly the managers top target in the summer.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #418: Oct 05, 2014 11:42:13 pm
      Watched the game for the second time and think that there are signs of improvement and we also got the win.
      The tide is changing.
      It will take some time though.
      Sturidge, Allen & Flanno returning will help.
      Also if Marko can step up earlier than i expect then hopefully we can give Sterling some rest or less pressure.
      Onwards and upwards fellas.
      Believe
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #419: Oct 06, 2014 09:15:49 am
      It was an improvement on recent performance, not hugely, but a slight improvement.

Good to see Lallana take his goal so clinically.  I've got reservations about his physical attributes but the lad can definitely play.  Good with both feet and hopefully he can find a niche in the team - easily the best of the signings this summer.

Hugely disappointed with Lovren yet again - he was making mistakes at the rate of more than one per minute on some occasions today.  Can understand why Sakho spat the dummy out last week knowing Lovren had been picked ahead of him. 
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #420: Oct 06, 2014 10:00:24 am
      Better performance, I'm so happy with the win and we deserved it. This West Brom side had just won 3 games in a row and were high on confidence whilst we have been hugely low on confidence, so it's an important result.

Llalana was excellent as was Hendo. I think Sterling/Llalana/Couts/Hendo midfield is probably our strongest and I hope we start with that against Real and QPR. That's the future of the midfield.

Lambert didn't do much, he started because Balo doesn't merit a starting place at the moment, but then again does Lambert marit a starting place? Missing Sturridge is hurting us so badly. That owl face should be banned from anythign to do with football for life given the damage he causes teams wherever he goes. Though I still think Balo hasn't got going yet. Poeple have been criticising him, but I actually think he's done well so far. He has looked one of our few dangerous players in games when we have looked really poor. When the midfield starting firing and creating chances, his finishing will be precious.

We're still prone to individual errors, at the back especially. I really cannot understand how seasoned internationals can make so many mistakes. For all of City and Chelsea's attacking prowess, one thing that marks their players out from the rest is the fact that they rarely make costly mistakes. Yes it wasn't a penalty, but Lovren did not need to dive in like that. Berahino was going away from goal and we would have probably covered it. Johnson made mistakes when he came on and there were a couple of other examples. Can't put my finger on what it is, call it lack of concentration or lack of confidence, but it has to be addressed. Forget winning the title, we won't make 4th with the sheer number of individual errors.

That aside, it was an important win and will do our confidence the world of good. The next three games, QPR, Hull and Newcastle are all winnable games. Let's make it count go into November sitting in top 4. Very happy for the boys, they needed this win.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #421: Oct 06, 2014 11:13:29 am
      Win's a win. Take it, and run!

Some positives in the performance, and still some negatives. I think we all know the positives - Lallana, Henderson, Gerrard in an advance role.
      This performance also raised a lot of questions for me.

The obvious one was the confidence Mignolet has. He has come under a lot of pressure and been under the spotlight for some time now. I thought he was good now against West Brom. Any question that was asked of him during the game, he answered. he even came & punched 2 corners! it was interesting listening to Carlo Cudicini yesterday morning saying how when a goalie makes a big save & the ball goes out for a corner, they are usually so high on confidence from that, that they will always go to catch or punch the resulting corner, just from sheer adrenaline. That had me thinking that perhaps keepers usually will only come for a cross from a corner if they have some confidence, so the fact that Mignolet came for 2, while seemingly not playing with confidence as of late, was interesting.

Gerrard excelled in the advanced role, and probable showed some of his best play in 18 months, in an attacking sense. It begs the question - why can't he play there some more.

Gerrard playing further forward also showed us that Henderson is able to play the holding role and could be tried there some more. Good to see he has taken the VC role on board too, clearly giving Gerrard a bollocking for crossing the ball from deep instead of bringing it into the corner. Some great touches from Hendo in the game, including the 1st. Took his own goal well too and I certainly loved the celebration, such passion! I make out that he is creating at least 1 clear cut chance per game this season. Has controbuted to 4 goals in the league. Nice return so far for a midfielder, in a team in bad form.

Lallana was bright, again, and I am slowly warming to him. I get the feeling that he would link up well with Allen. 1 touch passing between the 2 and both are able to turn aswell.

Lovren was poor again and I still cannot see how and why we spent 20m on him. Hasn't settled at all. Srktel is still by far our best CB and I find it harsh how Sahko has been treated while Lovren gets special treatment.

Manquillo has impressed in defence but his final ball is pretty bad. he always tends to cross instead of getting his head up and pass -something Johnson actually tries to do. Maybe this is something Johnson can teach Manquillo before he leaves in the summer.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3841 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #422: Oct 06, 2014 11:18:07 am
      Better performance.
      Delighted with Hendo and Lallana.

Thought Gerrard did well. Glad to see him move forward, and it looks like an option for Gerrard in the role behind Mario.

Positives start to emerge.

Quick Reply