Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Just how important is Liverpool Football Club to you?

Read 2679 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Just how important is Liverpool Football Club to you?
      Oct 07, 2014 08:50:58 am
      How much has or does the club impact your life?

Are you as passionate now as you were in say the 70's or 80's?

What exactly does this club mean to you? I ask these questions because I'm curious to know the level of passion and commitment a fellow red would give toward supporting their team. Having lived in the south my entire life, it's difficult to see just how passionate red fans are about their team when it's not a match day.

Interested to hear your views.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Just how important is Liverpool Football Club to you?
      Reply #1: Oct 07, 2014 08:54:17 am
      50 whole Earth days on this forum for one !

More ado !
      AJ-LFC
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #2: Oct 07, 2014 09:15:59 am
      What I always find interesting is how did fans come about supporting the club they support or follow?

I was born in Liverpool in 1969 at Mill Road maternity hospital, only a mile from Anfield. My first game was Liverpool v Exeter City (League cup) 30th October 1979, I went to the game with my dad and his work mate and his son who was the same age as me. Me and my dad's mates son who was a lad called David sat in aww of the mighty Kop as we had the view of it swaying from our seats in the Main Stand. That was it I was to become a lifelong fan!

I moved away from Liverpool with family many years ago but still go to the games when I can get tickets. I now take my whole family which is four of us so never easy to get 4 tickets but we renew our fan cards every year in hope we get enough and usually go to a few games. (hurry up and build that extra tier to the MS)

As I live in the South I meet fans of many different clubs, I am always interested in how these fans came about supporting the many different clubs they do. I feel proud to say I was born into this great club as a fan and supporter, not a day goes by when I don't think about our great club.

The Hillsborough tragedy often comes to my mind, especially on match days as I always think about my dad's mates son David and the rest of the fans who died supporting this great club. In their memory and mine this club is very special.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #3: Oct 07, 2014 11:11:13 am
      How much has or does the club impact your life?

Are you as passionate now as you were in say the 70's or 80's?

What exactly does this club mean to you? I ask these questions because I'm curious to know the level of passion and commitment a fellow red would give toward supporting their team. Having lived in the south my entire life, it's difficult to see just how passionate red fans are about their team when it's not a match day.

Interested to hear your views.

The club ie the insitution is massively important to me.
      The "brand" or the "sports venture" frankly sickens me.

For many, football is a type of addiction. And with many addictions, that skews people's reality of a situation.
      I love the club, but I can step back and be objective about it all. If today's thing was what we were being offered in the 70s and 80s, I'd never have been seduced by it. I'd have spent more time on other hobbies, as a kid and into adulthood.

I think there are many different types who watch LFC. For some, its just the local club. For others, its an excuse not to go shopping with the Mrs on Saturday. For others, its the only thing they have in common with the kids. Others intensely identify with the old values we used to have, or the terrace culture. Or the fact its another thing to do with your mates other than getting pissed. Some people, it was about particular players, or even crap like that "Being Liverpool" programme.

To me, it was about the culture, values and pride of a club that went to greatness when I was a kid in the late 70s and early 80s.

To be honest, I think for a lot, Liverpool Football Club isn't that important. They could just as easily watch Tranmere, Norwich or Man Utd with their mates, get pissed, have a laugh and go home. Or as Rafa said, like American sports fans, sit there with a fat hotdog and passively watch whatever happens on the pitch.

If I wasn't a Liverpool supporter, I've no doubt I'd watch football in the same way I watch a tennis match
      ie devoid of any real underlying interest or passion.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4: Oct 07, 2014 11:24:40 am
      I'd say its a big part of my life, I'm happy when we win and down when we lose but I don't let even a heavy loss ruin my day, just a few hours :-).
      I started supporting the club when I was lucky enough to get invited up as a guest of Carlsberg, I fell in love with the club and place instantly.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5: Oct 07, 2014 11:49:25 am
      Very & when we are not playing it gets F***ing depressing.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #6: Oct 07, 2014 11:51:32 am
      Well a win makes up a whole week and a lose certainly pisses me off for a whole week.A draw leaves a bitter taste.In that context last month was a really bad month.Its one of the few things that actually matters to me.I was flying over the moon during the last run in.I just cannot explain how much happy i get when liverpool wins.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #7: Oct 07, 2014 01:22:12 pm
      From the Chelsea game to the Chelsea game last season it was unwittingly the most important thing in mine and my Dad's life - something I talked about in another, similar thread by CR that was titled: 'I couldn't be any more prouder to be a Liverpool supporter' (or something like that).

I'll let it make me happy, overjoyed even, but I refuse to let it totally ruin my day anymore. It pisses me off and annoys me when we don't do well. Of course it does, but I can manage myself and don't dwell on it now even if it is the single most thing outside of family life that I look at the most.

Life goes on and I refuse to let it affect the things that are more important nowadays.

So yeah, it's very important, but only to an extent.

The great man was wrong I'm afraid.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8: Oct 07, 2014 05:51:25 pm
      50 whole Earth days on this forum for one !

More ado !

52 whole Earth years as a Red from age 9.

More ado !
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #9: Oct 07, 2014 06:27:58 pm
      Important enough to fly from Australia just to see us play.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,109 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #10: Oct 07, 2014 06:49:24 pm
      Hugely.

What else effects your day to day mood as much as Liverpool FC.?

Things like health and the well being of your family put it into perspective but after that its massively important
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #11: Oct 07, 2014 08:26:23 pm
      My whole life is planned and organised around our games. 

Absolutely nothing, including family, comes between me and my footy. 

Nobody comes to visit, I don't cook, I don't get myself a drink, Paul looks after himself and me whilst the game is on.  Nobody speaks during the game and if we lose, they know better than to mention anything about it afterwards  :D

My bosses know I don't work when there's a game on so on Saturdays, a normal working day for a hairdresser, I finish at 1pm for a 3pm or later ko and I don't work at all for an early ko.  One boss took me to my one and only game at Anfield, the Europa League tie against Anzhi and the other made sure we finished at 7.30pm last Wednesday and came to the pub with me so I wasn't on my own.

When the fixtures came out this season and we had City on the bank holiday weekend, I knew the game would be televised and as the Sunday was my Wedding Party I was frantically planning how I could sneak away to watch.  Thankfully it was the Monday night, so panic over as Paul might not have been as understanding as he usually is  ;)

I guess you could say it's pretty important to me and I'm so lucky to have such great people in my life  ;D
      MsGerrard
      Reply #12: Oct 07, 2014 08:28:15 pm
      Eat, Sleep, Breathe LFC  :gt-happyup: My whole life xxxxx
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #13: Oct 07, 2014 08:55:23 pm
      I love our club, but if i look back through the years, i was more fanatic 4-5 years ago, i'm turning 25 in november, so now i don't let my passion for Liverpool affect other things, i've matured if i could say so.

But even now, when we lose a game like we did at West Ham, i stop reading news about our league for about 2-3 days after.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #14: Oct 07, 2014 09:41:13 pm
      Large parts of my childhood are filled with Liverpool related memories. I remember playing football in the school yard pretending with my friends that we were Liverpool players.  I was Barry "Beardsley", my mates were Michael "Nicol",  Eammon "Rush", and John "Barnes".
      Even back then defeats would leave me in a bad mood,  I remember falling out with my dad after a team scored against us and he laughed, I even remember the goal too,  it was scored by Paul Stewart for Spurs at White heart lane,  a header from the edge if the box, which Brucie probably should have saved.

Basically Liverpool have been in my life as ling as I can remember, it's part of my family almost!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #15: Oct 08, 2014 12:04:37 am
      From the Chelsea game to the Chelsea game last season it was unwittingly the most important thing in mine and my Dad's life - something I talked about in another, similar thread by CR that was titled: 'I couldn't be any more prouder to be a Liverpool supporter' (or something like that).

I'll let it make me happy, overjoyed even, but I refuse to let it totally ruin my day anymore. It pisses me off and annoys me when we don't do well. Of course it does, but I can manage myself and don't dwell on it now even if it is the single most thing outside of family life that I look at the most.

Life goes on and I refuse to let it affect the things that are more important nowadays.

So yeah, it's very important, but only to an extent.

The great man was wrong I'm afraid.

This is almost word for word how I feel these days mate.

Agree completely.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #16: Oct 09, 2014 04:39:50 pm
      At first I thought it was a silly thread, but actually having read through it, I find it really interesting what people actually get out of supporting their club and how much LFC means to them.

Some of us seems to be "obsessive" fans - this is not a derogatory description, rather describing the external manifestation of their love of the club. Some are more introverted supporters, some of us seem to accept that LFC will always be a part of them and some a little more indifferent. It's all absolutely fine and I like the range and breadth of supporters we have. It's a strange phenomanon being a football fan. It's not like friendships or even marriage when it can just dissipate over time or even end up in divorce. Even at an old age, a big part of you will always be at the club.

Personally, I would say the club is an integral part of my llife and I will always have love and passion for the club. I wouldn't say it's the most important thing in my life but I certainly can't imagine life without it. When we win, I'm full of energy and feel I can do anything. When we lose, I won't speak to anyone for at least a day afterwards. 27 years of suffering the downs and enjoying the highs, we've been through too much to live without one another ;)

Quick Reply