Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Will Liverpool rise to the challenge and beat Real Madrid ?

Win
      45 (50.6%)
      Draw
      14 (15.7%)
      Lose
      30 (33.7%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Liverpool V Real Madrid Anfield 22/10/2014 - 20:45CET (19:45 local time)

Read 19661 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,578 posts | 3825 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Liverpool V Real Madrid Anfield 22/10/2014 - 20:45CET (19:45 local time)
      Oct 20, 2014 01:26:18 am
      Longing for the return?
      Revelling in the build up?
      Lying awake anxiously?
      Having F***ing nightmares?

Either way.
      It's here.

Liverpool v Real Madrid background
      Published: Thursday 9 October 2014, 14.38CET
      Holders Real Madrid CF have maximum points in Group B but will be wary of a Liverpool FC side who won all three of the clubs' previous meetings.

Liverpool v Real Madrid background

Madrid lost 4-0 at Anfield on their only previous visit to Merseyside
      ŠGetty Images

SUSPENSIONS AND INJURIES
      Reported player injuries
      InjuredKnee - Flanagan (Liverpool)
      InjuredThigh - Sturridge (Liverpool)
      InjuredKnee - Abner (Real Madrid)
      InjuredKnee - JesĂŠ (Real Madrid)
      InjuredThigh - Khedira (Real Madrid)
      DoubtfulThigh - Sakho (Liverpool)
      DoubtfulKnee - FĂĄbio CoentrĂŁo (Real Madrid)
      DoubtfulCalf - Ramos (Real Madrid)

Two of the great names of European Cup football meet at Anfield on matchday three when Liverpool FC host defending champions Real Madrid CF in Group B.

• Liverpool beat Madrid 5-0 on aggregate in the 2008/09 round of 16. Rafael Benítez's Reds won the first leg 1-0 in Spain, before a 4-0 success back on Merseyside, where Steven Gerrard scored twice – Madrid's biggest UEFA Champions League defeat. Álvaro Arbeloa was in the Liverpool side.

• The lineups at Anfield on 10 March 2009 were:
      Liverpool: Reina, Arbeloa, Ĺ krtel, Carragher, FĂĄbio AurĂŠlio, Alonso (Lucas 60), Mascherano, Kuyt, Gerrard (Spearing 73), Babel, Torres (Dossena 84).
      Madrid: Casillas, Ramos, Cannavaro (Van der Vaart 64), Pepe, Heinze, Robben (Marcelo 46), Diarra, Gago (Guti 77), Sneijder, RaĂşl, HiguaĂ­n.

• Liverpool also beat Madrid 1-0 in the 1981 European Champion Clubs' Cup final in Paris, Alan Kennedy scoring the only goal.

Match background

Liverpool
      • Brendan Rodgers' side are looking to bounce back from a 1-0 defeat at FC Basel 1893 on matchday two.

• Liverpool's most recent encounter with Spanish opposition brought defeat on away goals against Club Atlético de Madrid in the 2009/10 UEFA Europa League semi-finals (0-1a, 2-1h). Gerrard, Glen Johnson and Lucas are the only survivors of that Liverpool team.

• Liverpool have won only four of 14 home matches against Spanish visitors, their record reading: W4 D6 L4.

• Liverpool have lost just one of their last 18 home matches in UEFA competition and beat PFC Ludogorets Razgrad 2-1 at Anfield on matchday one.

Real Madrid
      • Madrid have won five of their last seven away games in the UEFA Champions League, including a 2-1 victory at Ludogorets last time out.

• Madrid's most recent visit to England brought a 2-1 win at Manchester United FC in the 2012/13 round of 16. Cristiano Ronaldo hit the winner at Old Trafford and has scored in five of his six appearances against Premier League teams for the Blancos.

• Madrid are unbeaten in their last three trips to face Premier League opposition. Their overall record away to English teams is W5 D3 L5.

Player links
      • Carlo Ancelotti's AC Milan side were beaten on penalties by Liverpool after surrendering a 3-0 lead in the 2005 final, before they gained revenge with a 2-1 final triumph in 2007.

• As Chelsea FC manager, Ancelotti faced Liverpool four times in the Premier League, winning twice in 2009/10 (2-0h, 2-0a), but then losing twice in 2010/11 (0-2a, 0-1h).

• Ronaldo scored twice in nine appearances against Liverpool for Manchester United, winning five, losing three and drawing one. He did not score for United at Anfield where his record read W3 D1 L1.

• Javier Hernández scored twice in five visits to Anfield with United and also hit the only goal against Liverpool in an English League Cup tie at Old Trafford in September 2013. His overall record against them was W3 D1 L3.

• Luka Modrić faced Liverpool eight times with Tottenham Hotspur FC (W5 D1 L2) and scored in a 2-0 victory at Anfield in May 2011.

• Gareth Bale's record against Liverpool with Spurs was W4 D2 L3. His only goal in nine appearances came in a 2-1 home victory in November 2012.

• Fabio Borini and Isco were both on the scoresheet when a Spain team also including Asier Illarramendi defeated Borini's Italy 4-2 in the 2013 UEFA European Under-21 Championship final.

• Mario Balotelli was in the Italy side beaten 4-0 by the Spain of Iker Casillas, Arbeloa and Sergio Ramos in the UEFA EURO 2012 final.

• International connections: Coutinho, Lucas and Marcelo (Brazil); Dejan Lovren and Modrić (Croatia); Mamadou Sakho, Raphaël Varane and Karim Benzema (France); Joe Allen and Bale (Wales).

Match facts

Liverpool
      • Liverpool benefited from two own goals to win 3-2 at Queens Park Rangers FC on Sunday; they were leading 1-0 until the 87th minute.

• Adam Lallana's first goal for Liverpool set the Reds on their way to a 2-1 home victory against West Bromwich Albion FC on 4 October.

• Jordan Henderson, who scored the decisive goal in that match, was named Liverpool's player of the month for September following a poll on the club website and Twitter.

• Rodgers' team have kept only two clean sheets in their last 20 matches in all competitions – both against Tottenham Hotspur FC.

• Gerrard celebrated 11 years as Liverpool captain on 15 October.

• Lovren withdrew from the Croatia squad for their recent UEFA EURO 2016 qualifiers because of an abdominal injury, but played 90 minutes against QPR. Daniel Sturridge has not played since 3 September due to a thigh problem.

• Javi Manquillo featured in both legs and Alberto Moreno the first game as holders Spain lost 2-1 on aggregate to Serbia in their UEFA European Under-21 Championship play-off tie.

Madrid
      • Since losing to Atlético on 13 September, the European champions have won seven successive matches, scoring 32 goals in the process.

• The Whites made it back-to-back 5-0 victories on Saturday, at Levante UD. Ronaldo struck once in each half, and in doing so took his Liga tally for the season to 15 in seven outings, breaking Esteban Echevarría's 71-year-old record for the highest scoring start to a Spanish campaign.

• Isco concluded the scoring in Valencia with his first goal since 12 April.

• Ronaldo registered a record-equalling 22nd Liga hat-trick as Madrid overwhelmed Athletic Club 5-0 on 5 October. He has had two trebles and a four-goal performance in his past six club outings.

• Madrid's No7 has found the net in his last 14 home appearances, a club record.

• His goal on matchday two was his 69th in the UEFA Champions League, two behind record holder Raúl González.

• The Portugal captain headed a 95th-minute winner for his country in their 1-0 UEFA EURO 2016 qualifying victory against Denmark on 14 October.

• Toni Kroos opened the scoring for Germany in the world champions' 1-1 home draw with the Republic of Ireland the same evening.

• A day earlier, Modrić was on target in Croatia's 6-0 defeat of Azerbaijan.

• Keylor Navas is on a three-man shortlist along with Thibaut Courtois and Willy Caballero to be named the Liga's best goalkeeper of last season.

Link

Warning: Footage contains Rafa, Torres, Alonso & Mascherano.

Liverpool Vs Real Madrid 4-0 HD
      « Last Edit: Oct 20, 2014 01:37:25 am by racerx34 »
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Re: Liverpool V Real Madrid Anfield 22/10/2014 - 20:45CET (19:45 local time)
      Reply #1: Oct 20, 2014 01:44:38 am
      If we play like we did today we will be on the receiving end of a 4-0 ass kicking.....  Nice trip down memory lane watching that video though.  Torres used to be such a beast, but it seems like ages ago now....
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,578 posts | 3825 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Oct 20, 2014 01:52:58 am
      If we play like we did today we will be on the receiving end of a 4-0 ass kicking.....  Nice trip down memory lane watching that video though.  Torres used to be such a beast, but it seems like ages ago now....

5 years ago now.
      Back then we were the number 1 ranked team in the world.

A lot of work to do.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,803 posts | 4909 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #3: Oct 20, 2014 01:59:18 am
      Real who, their f***in sh*t, we're gonna batter them,  ladyboy and f***in monkey face won't know what's f***in hit them,

Time to unleash scal queda, kidnap monkey face, and his bin lids, and threaten ladyboy with a big black rubber dildo, no offence to rubber dildo's btw, hold them til we're at least 3-0 up, or ladyboy gets it, the f**ker would probably enjoy it, oh and no vaselin,  not allowed to grease any holes it's against fifa regulations,

Anyhoo,  gotta go just been sectioned,  my straight jacket's a perfect fit   :roll:

YNWA
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #4: Oct 20, 2014 02:08:01 am
      5 years ago now.
      Back then we were the number 1 ranked team in the world.

A lot of work to do.

Deservedly so too. One of my favourite matches in recent times without doubt, absolutely buzzed for so long after that. Remember straight after the game being in a state of shock thinking we could have won by even more, we just annihilated Madrid.

Needed the uplift after QPR so cheers for that but I must admit I'm terrified what might happen to our lads on Wednesday night. Of course people will trip out the usual cliche bullshit but our defence vs their attack currently looks like a recipe for an absolute hammering.

I can see us trying to set up defensively as frankly we've very little other choice and I'm one that usually condones attack as the best form of defence but not for us in our current state. We do still have pace and playing for the counter attack is easily our best option, get Moreno, Hendo, Sterling breaking on them and maybe we can surprise them but when my head rules my heart here I can only see a Madrid victory.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,578 posts | 3825 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Oct 20, 2014 02:09:46 am
      Look, Brendan.

We all know you're a fan of the occasional false nine.

This week, let's have a go.

Mignolet

I F***ing give up   

Manquillo         Gerrard           Moreno

Hendo          Allen

Lallana        Sterling      Coutinho

Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #6: Oct 20, 2014 02:47:53 am
      Lets show them what we can do  :couch:
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #7: Oct 20, 2014 02:48:03 am
      I watched the 0-1 at the Bernabeu on my laptop in a crowded university hallway.
      Then I watched the 4-0 at Anfield in a pub in Dorchester with about fifty other reds.
      Proud then, proud now. We will do these filthy rich c**ts.

YNWA
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #8: Oct 20, 2014 03:04:08 am
                                    Mignolet

Johnson         Skertl           Lovren          Moreno

Lucas

Henderson              Lallana
                                     Gerrard

Balotelli    Sterling

Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #9: Oct 20, 2014 03:06:04 am

That's if we're lucky. How many did they score against Basel again?

Rafa gave Pellegrini and his mediocre side a total footballing spanking when both teams last met. I've no doubt whatsoever that Ancelotti will return the favour with spades once his band of merry men see our sorry arsed bunch of shi*e. Let's be honest and face it....we're in for a kicking and it'll be a case of damage limitation.

Brendan has hardly got a decent record when it comes to cup competitions and IMO he's tactically naive and slow to react. Ancelotti on the other hand is a grand master of tactics but on this occasion I think he'll just tell the team to go out, have fun and enjoy the atmosphere for the 15-20 minutes that it'll last because by then, all of the plastic fans will have been muted.

Apologies for being so dour but nothing I've seen from this team lately has given me any minute hope of a result against Real.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #10: Oct 20, 2014 03:22:51 am
      That's if we're lucky. How many did they score against Basel again?

Rafa gave Pellegrini and his mediocre side a total footballing spanking when both teams last met. I've no doubt whatsoever that Ancelotti will return the favour with spades once his band of merry men see our sorry arsed bunch of shi*e. Let's be honest and face it....we're in for a kicking and it'll be a case of damage limitation.

Brendan has hardly got a decent record when it comes to cup competitions and IMO he's tactically naive and slow to react. Ancelotti on the other hand is a grand master of tactics but on this occasion I think he'll just tell the team to go out, have fun and enjoy the atmosphere for the 15-20 minutes that it'll last because by then, all of the plastic fans will have been muted.

Apologies for being so dour but nothing I've seen from this team lately has given me any minute hope of a result against Real.

I would'nt be so sure. The signs aren't promising; however, we are at Anfield and everyone will lift. This match is made for guys like Sterling, Lallana, Moreno, Henderson, Coutinho and Balotelli to show their pedigree. It's only our dodgy defence, that's why I think its better if Lucas plays DM. Stevie should shift up further.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #11: Oct 20, 2014 03:39:24 am
      They might rest a few given they got the "classico" on the weekend and they can probably afford to draw in this one.

Looking at the OP and the cojones of Rafa taking Gerrard after 73 minutes after he is on a hat trick, you wouldnt see it now.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #12: Oct 20, 2014 04:01:26 am
      They might rest a few given they got the "classico" on the weekend and they can probably afford to draw in this one.

Looking at the OP and the cojones of Rafa taking Gerrard after 73 minutes after he is on a hat trick, you wouldnt see it now.

Interesting point that Dado, food for thought that one.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #13: Oct 20, 2014 04:57:51 am
      not too optimistic if I am honest.

look QPR is last in the league for a good reason.... and they outplayed us immensely today. i would've liked to say we rested our true XI for the real Madrid game but i cant.  the team we had today was pretty much our best starting xi.

lets hope the lads get passionate at home vs real Madrid. because that team can burn us and burn us good

YNWA still!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #14: Oct 20, 2014 05:46:15 am
      Interesting point that Dado, food for thought that one.

Yeah mate it jumped out at me.

Makes sense why he wasn't everyone's cup of tea and never got any credit for his man management, all that is bollocks though when you thump Madrid 4-0 though.

As for the game with the Basel cock up we will need to get 3 points out of the next 6 available either at Anfield or Bernabeu otherwise it will be a massive ask getting out of this group.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,222 posts | 747 
      Reply #15: Oct 20, 2014 06:48:45 am
      Need to play out of their skins, to achieve anything from this game. Just hope Lady Luck is on our side, seriously still think the lads can get something from this important game.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #16: Oct 20, 2014 07:15:13 am
      Barcelona...Real Madrid who the f*ck yer tryin to kid
      Cos Liverpool are the team that we adore!

Cant wait for this despite our current form. We need to get the ground rocking and I will be doing my best from the Annie Road.

The 12th man thing needs to happen here!

Moreno for Enrique but up front...I've got no idea.

A win here could set up our season. SUPPORT & BELIEVE
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,299 posts | 3868 
      Reply #17: Oct 20, 2014 08:41:57 am
      pray for liverpool
      LFCexiled
      Reply #18: Oct 20, 2014 09:08:09 am
      After the debacle that was yesterday we need an Alchemist LFC side of old who knew how to turn sh*t into gold in the space of one match. This could be the moment when we find our mojo and become the force I think we have the potential to become.

Heart, head.

I live with expectant hope and baited breath.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #19: Oct 20, 2014 10:35:39 am
      So this is the game we've been waiting 5 years for and now it's here, everyone's pooping their pants.

We're playing like dogshit, they're playing like gods.  We're playing like we're terrified of the ball, they're playing like the ball's attached to their feet.  They've got the most expensively assembled team in the world, we've got the remnants of everyone elses castoffs.  They're scoring for fun, we can't score to save our lives.

What could go wrong?

It's one game in the grand scheme of things, we can still get out of the group even if we lose this one.  I'm hoping we win but expecting a heavy defeat.

Will I be watching?  Damn right I will  :scarf:

Fantastic OP Racer.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #20: Oct 20, 2014 10:40:50 am
      Mignolet

Manquillo Skrtel Lovren Moreno

Gerrard

Allen   Hendo

Coutinho

Balotelli  Sterling

That's the 11 that I would start. Coutinho could possibly play out wide and change to a 4-3-3.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #21: Oct 20, 2014 10:43:50 am
      Not arsed about the game yesterday, or how we've performed all season, or the whiteness of Brendan's teeth. These are the games you support this football club for, the games you can tell your kids about when you grow up and one of them games you can say "I was there".

Liverpool vs Real Madrid.

Only one emotion I'm feeling, excitement. Got my ticket and I can't F***ing wait. Come on Red men.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #22: Oct 20, 2014 10:45:52 am
      i know im going to get slaughtered on here for saying this but the only thing i can see is a convincing RM win...3 or 4-1.

We have looked so open in all our games and they are the best team to exploit our current weakness.

We need to be so compact in this one and stop them from having space and maybe nick a 1-0 if we can.

I hope im wrong but the way we are F***ing around right now and being battered by QPR, Villa and West Ham doesn't give me much hope at the moment.

Quick Reply