Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Will Liverpool rise to the challenge and beat Real Madrid ?

Win
      45 (50.6%)
      Draw
      14 (15.7%)
      Lose
      30 (33.7%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Liverpool V Real Madrid Anfield 22/10/2014 - 20:45CET (19:45 local time)

Read 19822 times
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Re: Liverpool V Real Madrid Anfield 22/10/2014 - 20:45CET (19:45 local time)
      Reply #23: Oct 20, 2014 10:54:45 am
      Whoooooooooooooooooooooo p!

Cant wait for this one!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #24: Oct 20, 2014 10:59:48 am
      We have looked so open in all our games and they are the best team to exploit our current weakness.

We need to be so compact in this one and stop them from having space and maybe nick a 1-0 if we can.

The worrying thing is that I think we've attempted to work on the 4-2-3-1 rather than 4-4-2 diamond
      with Real Madrid in mind. Whether we'd be doing that with a fit Sturridge is another matter, but it
      doesn't seem like the players are adapting too well to it.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #25: Oct 20, 2014 11:01:30 am
      Bale out for this game.  So monkey features down just ladyboy and another half dozen to go  :gt-happyup:
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #26: Oct 20, 2014 11:10:59 am
      Bale out for this game.  So monkey features down just ladyboy and another half dozen to go  :gt-happyup:

Yeah, just came onto say that Debs.

Ronaldo and Benzama alone against our defence is enough to give me nightmares though.

It's a toughy alright.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #27: Oct 20, 2014 11:19:09 am
      We have a great record against Real and putting aside the QPR game our boys will rise to the occasion. This is exactly the sort of game for them to show what they are made of.
      I don't expect them to lump the ball up to Benzema or press as aggressively as a EPL team.

In fact I'm quite confident of a result a draw at least  8)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #28: Oct 20, 2014 11:22:24 am
      Yeah, just came onto say that Debs.

Ronaldo and Benzama alone against our defence is enough to give me nightmares though.

It's a toughy alright.

Their defense isn't great either mate so a high scoring draw is on the cards  ;)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #29: Oct 20, 2014 12:35:35 pm
      Best attacking team in the world, With or without Bale. They are gonna cause us so much havoc.

Their Defense is actually not too bad. They have 3 world class center backs and very good full backs. Casillas is their only weak link in my opinion.

It's their midfield I'm most worried about, especially Modric. He has become a world class midfielder at Real, adding to that, they have Kroos and James who is settling in well and starting to look dangerous.

I don't think it would be a wise decision  committing too many players when we attack, we need to be cautious with their counter attacks.

Gerrard
      Henderson  Allen
              Sterling
        Lambert  Lallana

Would choose Lambert only for this game simply because they have one of the quickest defence. With Lambert playing higher up and able to hold the ball it would allow the likes of, Sterling, Lallana or even Hendo to play off him.

I can see Lambert bullying them if he is played right up against their center backs, a bit like how that world class Zamora caused us problems.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #30: Oct 20, 2014 12:50:59 pm
      Ramos probably out for this, that is a surprising plus. I think they'll win plenty of free-kicks and he is a real threat in the air that I'm not sure we could deal with.

Looking at our team I'd fill it with energy, we need to be able to play on the counter often and not give them any time to settle once in our half:

Mig
         Manquillo Skrtel Lovren Moreno
                    Gerrard Henderson
            Sterling   Coutinho  Lallana
                           Borini

Give Sterling strick instructions to keep with Ronaldo, play a false wing-back role doubling up on him as we can't leave our right hand side of defence exposed as it is our weakest link. I expect Johnson to play in reality and him to be torn a new one leaving Skrtel completely fu**ed against Ronaldo probably resulting in either dangerous free-kicks or chances.

You could make a case for including Allen to relieve our defense of the pressure but all out counter-attack is much more likely to reap rewards. Playing Lambert/Balotelli makes no sense to me in this one, they'll just end up being a beacon on the half-way line for Madrid to pressurise, neither one with the ability to break away from defenders. I'd rather rely on quick passes to keep the ball.

I honestly don't think we have it in us to soak up that amount of pressure and we will crack but going toe-to-toe with them paints an even more horrific picture.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #31: Oct 20, 2014 12:57:46 pm
      Ramos probably out for this, that is a surprising plus.

I think they will be stronger defensively with Varane , rofl!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #32: Oct 20, 2014 12:59:41 pm
      I think they will be stronger defensively with Varane , rofl!

I agree Varane is the better defender, my point was regarding them scoring goals, not conceding them. I'd happily take a 0-0 at the moment.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #33: Oct 20, 2014 01:14:22 pm
      Completely understandable people worrying about getting a hiding Wednesday night after watching us yesterday. owever I really feel this is the type of game we need now. One to focus the mind and a game the players will know they will need to be at there very best to get a result from. Dont mind all the "12th man, great Anfield nights" and all that the 14 players who will step on to the grass are all that will decide the outcome for us.

They owe us, the boss and themselves a huge performance.

Real are far from invincible look at la liga this season, and there game against Ludo last day out, they are beatable

Id go 3-5-2 for this a formation that can adapt to 5-4-1 if required. Clsoe there space in midfield. I know Brendan won t though, but Id like

Mignolet   

Skrtel Stevie Lovern

Manquillo                        Moreno

Hendo Coutinho Allen

Sterling      Lambert

Id give Raheem an out and out forward role. Id drop Stevei back simply for 2 reasons. Hes stronger in the air thena ny of our centre half and a better organiser plus he can bea launchpad for our attacjks from back there with his passing range

Id be annoyed to see Balotelli get a start here as hes done fook all to warrant it
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #34: Oct 20, 2014 01:37:32 pm
      I'd go for this team. Lets try and put some pace back in the side. Also, we dont seem to be able to defend, and we wont be able to keep Real out, so lets just have a go at it.
      Also so much for questions Pascoe's and Brendan's management skills. For the last month and a half they have stated the need to start quickly, and it hasn't been shown in a performance all season.

Mignolet
       Johnson     Skrtel      Lovren       Moreno
               Gerrard                Henderson
      Markovic         Coutinho           Lallana
                                Sterling

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #35: Oct 20, 2014 01:46:03 pm
      Bale is not playing allegedly.

(That brings it down to 5-0 from 8-0 ?)

MAN UP REDS.

This is the Real world ...scuse the pun .
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4972 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #36: Oct 20, 2014 02:32:50 pm
      Bale is not playing allegedly.

(That brings it down to 5-0 from 8-0 ?)

MAN UP REDS.

This is the Real world ...scuse the pun .

That's sh*t skip,  thought a man of your calibre would have come up with better than that,  pfft,  seriously disappointed,  a bit like us yesterday,   >:D

My take on it is.....Bale has bailed,  something to do with Welsh & windbag springs to mind  !    ;D

YNWA
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #37: Oct 20, 2014 02:34:25 pm
      Can we play something like this

Migs
      Johnno.  Lovren.  Skrtel.  Moreno
                       Hendo.  Gerrard
                 Lallana.  Allen.  Cou
                             Sterling

I believe this puts our most in form players on the pitch or at least those whom we can expect to be good. After QPR game, I really dont want to see Balo start for us for sometime.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #38: Oct 20, 2014 03:14:53 pm
      Start Raheem upfront on his own BR. Come on man he could literally be our savior.
      Cant see Manquillo getting the knod ahead of John Glenson, but would love it. Hopefully the rumours of Moreno being dropped because he got drunk last week, dont extend into this midweek match. I would play him drunk over Enrique.
      Would start with a MF trio of Allen Gerrard and Hendo and Lallana infront with Coutinho

Jones ;-)
      Manquillo Skrtel Lovren Moreno
                       Gerrard
                    Allen Hendo
         Lallana                Coutinho
                     Raheem

Look at the pace and energy in that squad. Not a chance BR will do down that route though.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #39: Oct 20, 2014 03:16:28 pm
      This game is really laying on the nostalgia for me.

Real Madrid 0 Liverpool FC 1: The night 'sacked' Rafa Benitez masterminded Bernabeu win

Oct 20, 2014 13:00 By Kristian Walsh
      In the week of Real Madrid's visit to Anfield, a look back at the Reds' three victories - from three games - over the Spanish giants

“First it was the Nou Camp, then the San Siro and now even the mighty Bernabeu has fallen to Rafa Benitez’s Liverpool.”

The bare facts of the Reds' 1-0 win over Real Madrid – alluded to by Tony Barrett, then of the Liverpool ECHO – are compelling enough.

Rafael Benitez's side strode into the Bernabeu and did to the Spanish champions what they had previously done to both Barcelona and Inter Milan – won, and won with a showing stamped with the unmistakable insignia of Benitez.

Yossi Benayoun's goal, meeting a pinpoint Fabio Aurelio free kick and nodding past Iker Casillas, came eight minutes from time.

For the previous 82 minutes, the Reds had contained Real; this was not an erection of a red barricade preparing for the Spanish inquisition, but rather a calm, controlled performance.

But the preceding 24 hours was far from calm or controlled, and made the victory in Madrid even more astonishing.

No rumour circulates more vigorously than one caught in the wind of the River Mersey, and here was one of the most preposterous of all: Benitez was a dead man walking.           

The Reds were second in the Premier League having lost just one game all season, seven points adrift of Manchester United but 10 clear of fifth-placed Arsenal.

Yet the Spaniard's position was being spoken about in the past tense, both in Liverpool and in Madrid on match day. The Plaza Mayor had become a major place of rumour.

The bookmakers had even suspended betting, so that was that.

As the ECHO's David Prentice reported the day after the night before: “The nation's sports fans were ablaze with intense speculation yesterday.

“'I'm telling you, he's said his goodbyes at Melwood,' said one Echo caller, 'the bookies have stopped taking bets on him going' screamed Sky TV, while radio stations dug out former players to cast an 'expert' view on the 'breaking news.'”

To think a manager who had took the Reds to second, and was yet again in the last 16 of Europe's premier competition, was maddening.

But this was a maddening period for Liverpool with seismic divisions within the club and the fans straddling the fault line.

“This is what Liverpool have come to,” wrote Barrett.

“But the most worrying aspect of all is that there could still be worse to come because there are no signs of divisions being healed, no indication that anyone in the club’s hierarchy has the inclination to lead the club out of one of the most troubled periods in its history.”

But on the Bernabeu pitch, it didn't matter.             

The Reds were without Steven Gerrard, who was only fit enough to sit with the substitutes. Half-fit Fernando Torres should have joined him, but with Ryan Babel and David N'Gog as the alternatives, Torres limped through an hour before being replaced by the Dutchman.       

Those who wish to belittle the result in Madrid – Real were not the force they had been, is now the regular cry – would do well to remember this was a side who had just topped a club record nine consecutive wins.

Juande Ramos was in charge just months after taking Tottenham to the bottom of the Premier League, granted – but he was a solid appointment for Real initially, winning 52 points from his first 19 league games.

It was also a side that contained Euro 2008 winners Casillas and Sergio Ramos, Portuguese hard man Pepe, World Cup winner Fabio Cannavaro and one-time Reds target Gabriel Heinze.

In midfield, Fernando Gago and Lassana Diarra were both highly rated; Arjen Robben, Gonzalo Higuain and Raul would make a fearsome attacking trio.

Their depth was also far more impressive. Wesley Sneijder, Rafael van der Vaart and Javier Saviola may not be Galacticos, but all three were good players who had lit up the world stage.

But the Reds prevailed with the midfield axis of Javier Mascherano and Xabi Alonso excellent throughout, while Benayoun had prospered cutting inside and creating even before his winner.

As time ticked down, the travelling support chanted Benitez's name. It had been a memorable 90 minutes following 24 hours everybody wanted to forget.

Liverpool would beat Real 4-0 in the return leg under the piercing Anfield floodlights, but Barrett's closing statement on his match report would prove prophetic: “the sad fact is that their biggest battle may not be with their rival super powers – it could be with themselves.”

The Reds would lose to Chelsea in the last eight, but far more damaging is what would happen internally over the next few years.

Team news:
      REAL MADRID: Casillas, Ramos, Pepe, Cannavaro, Heinze, Gago, Diarra, Marcelo (Guti 46), Robben, Higuain, Raul.

Subs not used: Dudek, Metzelder, Miguel Torres, Sneijder, van der Vaart, Saviola

LIVERPOOL: Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Skrtel, Aurelio, Mascherano, Alonso, Kuyt (Lucas 90), Benayoun, Riera (Gerrard 87), Torres (Babel 61).

Subs not used: Cavalieri, Dossena, Hyypia, N'Gog

Link

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #40: Oct 20, 2014 03:20:44 pm
      Those were the days racer.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #41: Oct 20, 2014 03:22:15 pm
                                         Mignolet
      Manquillo         Skrtel              Lovren ('cos we dont have any better available) Moreno
                                      Lucas
                     Henderson             Coutinho
                                     Gerrard
              Lallana                                    Sterling
                                    Lambert

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #42: Oct 20, 2014 03:25:12 pm
                                         Mignolet
      Manquillo         Skrtel              Lovren ('cos we dont have any better available) Moreno
                                      Lucas
                     Henderson             Coutinho
                                     Gerrard
              Lallana                                    Sterling
                                    Lambert

I like it, how we going to sneak that 12th man on though?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #43: Oct 20, 2014 03:26:06 pm

The all new 4 4 3 formation. ;D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #44: Oct 20, 2014 03:45:37 pm
      That's sh*t skip,  thought a man of your calibre would have come up with better than that,  pfft,  seriously disappointed,  a bit like us yesterday,   >:D
      My take on it is.....Bale has bailed,  something to do with Welsh & windbag springs to mind  !    ;D
      YNWA

a bit like yesterday.

Why did you not think I meant  5-0 to us instead of the  three own goals from Bale , Billy .?!?
       ;D

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #45: Oct 20, 2014 04:16:04 pm

;D, I did not notice that because I wrote Moreno too out wide :)

Quick Reply