Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Will Liverpool rise to the challenge and beat Real Madrid ?

Win
      45 (50.6%)
      Draw
      14 (15.7%)
      Lose
      30 (33.7%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Liverpool V Real Madrid Anfield 22/10/2014 - 20:45CET (19:45 local time)

Read 19800 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Liverpool V Real Madrid Anfield 22/10/2014 - 20:45CET (19:45 local time)
      Reply #115: Oct 21, 2014 01:09:05 pm
      Bale and Ramos out.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #116: Oct 21, 2014 01:09:52 pm
      I don't get this 'our record against them is good' bollocks. It's irrelevant how we played against them in the 70's or even a few years ago in the 4-0 win. It's a new game.

Anyway, I was confident up until the QPR game and now I'm not so sure.

I can see Mignolet having a good game tomorrow. Madrid won't be launching the ball into our box every chance they get so I doubt he will be coming from his line much to catch. As a shot stopper alone, he is very good. I expect him to make 2-3 top saves.

You can't start Manquillo over Johnson. Johnson might be sh*te but at least he is experienced. Manquillo is sh*te and has no experience. So I'd rather go for the sh*te one with the experience.

Moreno must start if fit. I'm a big fan of Enrique but he had a shocker on Sunday. This game will suit Moreno far more too.

I'd drop Skrtel for Kolo and have him next to Lovren. Another game I think would suit Kolo more than Skrtel.

One thing for certain is, Stevie will raise his game. He always does when we need him most. He will be MOTM tomorrow.

Joe Allen and Hendo alongside him, plenty of work rate and ground covered between them.

Coutinho in front of them. He has to start. Everything decent that we create always comes through him.

Sterling in a free role causing havoc and Balotelli up front. Maybe, just maybe, tomorrow will be the sort of game Balo will show what many think he is capable of. If he looks like he cant be arsed again then drag him off at half time and put Lambert on. An honest professional who may not be blessed with electric pace but he will give it 100% and can be a threat in other ways.

Can just imagine it now, 0-0 86 mins on the clock. We get a free kick out wide. Gerrard whips it in, Rickie heads it in and wins the game for us.

If Balo can't be arsed getting up for this tomorrow, at home to the European champions, in front of thousands of red scarves and flags then I don't want to see him wear the shirt again.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #117: Oct 21, 2014 01:15:16 pm

2 down  only 9 to go  ;D
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #118: Oct 21, 2014 01:21:31 pm
      So our options for the frontline are:

Borini as a loan striker
      Lambert as a loan striker
      Balotelli as a loan striker
      Any two of the three strikers in a 4-4-2
      Or Sterling as a false no.9 with no recognised strikers

This time last year it would have been Suarez and Sturridge starting up top for us.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #119: Oct 21, 2014 01:24:11 pm

Which hotel are they staying in and is the chef a Red? ;)
      LFCexiled
      Reply #120: Oct 21, 2014 01:29:57 pm
      Can't read back at the moment but would anyone agree that this game has balotelli written all over it?

In the prem he's got defenders all over him as soon as the ball goes near him and he gets clattered a bit and in the game of cl 'non-contact' football he may just get that rom he needs to get the goal and confidence he needs.

The lad frustrates me like he seems to do to a lot but If we can give the lad a home his full potential may just flow.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #121: Oct 21, 2014 01:41:50 pm
      He is young but he's got more European experience than Jose having won the Europa League with Savilla last season.  He's also played against Madrid before so I doubt he'll be overawed, more likely he'll be relishing playing.

He has more experience in Europe but overall Jose is more experienced and I am more confident with Enrique at the back personally although Moreno is very good.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #122: Oct 21, 2014 01:47:19 pm
      He has more experience in Europe but overall Jose is more experienced and I am more confident with Enrique at the back personally although Moreno is very good.

Respect your opinion mate but for me Moreno has to play.  Jose made a mess of things on Sunday too many times.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,573 posts | 6915 
      Reply #123: Oct 21, 2014 02:01:42 pm
      Respect your opinion mate but for me Moreno has to play.

Agree.  Wouldn't have a problem with Enrique playing - just not at left back!  (By the way I think Johnson was even worse than Enrique).
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #124: Oct 21, 2014 02:04:29 pm

What's the point of experience if you don't have a football brain!
      Moreno every time.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #125: Oct 21, 2014 02:11:52 pm

This time last year it would have been Suarez and Sturridge starting up top for us.

Hmm, yeah, but this time last year we weren't in the Champions League.

Agree.  Wouldn't have a problem with Enrique playing - just not at left back!  (By the way I think Johnson was even worse than Enrique).

You may be on to something there.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #126: Oct 21, 2014 02:15:35 pm

In some ways he was JD but he was responsible for the quick fk that got our first goal and cleared a couple off the line to keep us in the game but overall neither were good.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #127: Oct 21, 2014 03:12:56 pm
      Which hotel are they staying in and is the chef a Red? ;)

;D

Tee Hee.

This aint Loftus Road.
      If Mario Box Of Frogs cant raise himself for this game, on the stage he wants against the European Champions ... then he never will.
      It doesn't get any bigger.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #128: Oct 21, 2014 03:23:54 pm

What a sh*te observation, this time, this year, we'd still have neither, even if they both were still here, as one is suspended by way of his own stupidity and the other is injured. 
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #129: Oct 21, 2014 03:26:17 pm
      So our options for the frontline are:

Borini as a loan striker
      Lambert as a loan striker
      Balotelli as a loan striker
      Any two of the three strikers in a 4-4-2
      Or Sterling as a false no.9 with no recognised strikers

How about we try, and I know this is crazy radical, 2 up top, espeically since Balotelli has publicly admitted that he can't play as a lone striker, weird how all the fans picked up on that info but it passed by the entire Liverpool coaching set up. I'd start with Sterling/Borini and Balotelli up front. Defense I'd go with Skrtel and Sakho or Toure with Moreno and Johnson. Midfield I'd have Allen, Henderson, Coutinhio and Stevie/Can
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #130: Oct 21, 2014 03:43:02 pm
      We don't need to sound or feel as if we are already beaten even before the ball is kicked. Ok, RM is RM, the dream team to many while we are simply the underdogs but that doesn't mean that we will allow them to walk all over us, if we say no. The lads must come onto the pitch and tell themselves, there is a big scalp out there, play as if their lives depended on it, knowing that the world is watching and to get through the group stage we will have to beat the best.

Bully them, don't give them an inch on the pitch and act as if we are the dirty dozens, the twelfth man being the crowd and I'm confident we'll get something out of the game.

Someone said call Rafa, who knows La Liga better than Rafa and I'm sure Rafa will be more than willing to throw a spanner onto Real's wheels. There is always a chink in the armour and perhaps Rafa can tell us a bit more.

I won't be dissapointed if we lose as long as we give them a torrid 90 mins and them sweating all the way and welcoming them to the world of EPL with our speed. We have to be fast and decisive in our passes they won't know what hit them.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #131: Oct 21, 2014 04:17:39 pm
      Confident we will beat Madrid... more worried how we will cope with Hull in our next big match as we may need to rest Gerrard and a few other players for that game.

LFCexiled
      Reply #132: Oct 21, 2014 06:13:12 pm
      What a sh*te observation, this time, this year, we'd still have neither, even if they both were still here, as one is suspended by way of his own stupidity and the other is injured. 

What an excellent observation of a sh*te observation.

Karma is restored to its natural state. ;)
      LFCexiled
      Reply #133: Oct 21, 2014 06:18:06 pm
      ;D

Tee Hee.

This aint Loftus Road.

Well if we have to win in the old fashioned, against the odds Liverpool way then I hope their travelling chef has got a cheesy, thrushy bell end, a penchant for dirty whores and crabs with a constant need to itch.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #134: Oct 21, 2014 06:21:30 pm
      Brendan Rodgers warns Real Madrid to expect "hurricane on the field"

Reds boss believes "character and spirit" can see his side through against Spanish giants.

Brendan Rodgers has warned Real Madrid to expect a “hurricane on the field” when they take on Liverpool at Anfield tomorrow night.

Real, the reigning European Champions, arrived on Merseyside on Tuesday afternoon ahead of their Group B clash.

Merseyside has been battered by high winds over the past 24 hours, as the UK receives the final remnants of Hurricane Gonzalo.

Rodgers, though, is predicting a whirlwind of his own on Wednesday evening.

He told his pre-match press conference: “The hurricane will be on the field, for sure.

“Both teams will be looking to win the game, both teams will be working hard to get the points. And we are really looking forward to the challenge. Real Madrid have great players, but I also have some world-class players of great quality.

“It should be a fantastic game, an exciting game, and we look forward to it.”

Liverpool heading into the game knowing a defeat would place them on the back foot in terms of qualification for the knockout stage of the competition. The defeat in Basel last time out means they are third in the group ahead of their double-header with Real.

“For me coming into this competition, our home games were seen very much as opportunities to get the points,” Rodgers said.

“Obviously it’s a very difficult game for us. We aren’t playing as well at the moment as we have done, but we have character and spirit, and at the moment that is what is allowing us to win games.

“Tomorrow night we will need that, plus the quality of our football. And if we do that, at home, then it’s another step towards qualifying from the group

echo

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #135: Oct 21, 2014 06:31:55 pm
      Brendan Rodgers warns Real Madrid to expect "hurricane on the field"

Reds boss believes "character and spirit" can see his side through against Spanish giants.

Brendan Rodgers has warned Real Madrid to expect a “hurricane on the field” when they take on Liverpool at Anfield tomorrow night.

Real, the reigning European Champions, arrived on Merseyside on Tuesday afternoon ahead of their Group B clash.

Merseyside has been battered by high winds over the past 24 hours, as the UK receives the final remnants of Hurricane Gonzalo.

Rodgers, though, is predicting a whirlwind of his own on Wednesday evening.

He told his pre-match press conference: “The hurricane will be on the field, for sure.

“Both teams will be looking to win the game, both teams will be working hard to get the points. And we are really looking forward to the challenge. Real Madrid have great players, but I also have some world-class players of great quality.

“It should be a fantastic game, an exciting game, and we look forward to it.”

Liverpool heading into the game knowing a defeat would place them on the back foot in terms of qualification for the knockout stage of the competition. The defeat in Basel last time out means they are third in the group ahead of their double-header with Real.

“For me coming into this competition, our home games were seen very much as opportunities to get the points,” Rodgers said.

“Obviously it’s a very difficult game for us. We aren’t playing as well at the moment as we have done, but we have character and spirit, and at the moment that is what is allowing us to win games.

“Tomorrow night we will need that, plus the quality of our football. And if we do that, at home, then it’s another step towards qualifying from the group

echo

Hurricane on the field? I suppose that is Skrtel and co doing what they do best ;-)
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #136: Oct 21, 2014 06:59:04 pm

Maybe, but I'm just pointing out the difference between our attack then and now. I'm not saying if we had kept Suarez they'd both be starting tomorrow, of course not. Just pointing out what we had this time last season in comparison to right now. No need to be a c**t about it chump.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #137: Oct 21, 2014 07:01:48 pm
      Maybe, but I'm just pointing out the difference between our attack then and now. I'm not saying if we had kept Suarez they'd both be starting tomorrow, of course not. Just pointing out what we had this time last season in comparison to right now. No need to be a c**t about it chump.

No need to chump about it c**t, either. 

But just to clarify, you were pointing out the bleeding obvious?  Want to be sure, don't want to offend your delicate sensibilities again.

Quick Reply