Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Mario Balotelli’s scapegoating hides the real issues at Liverpool

Read 13488 times
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Re: Mario Balotelli’s scapegoating hides the real issues at Liverpool
      Reply #115: Oct 26, 2014 01:55:20 pm
      Something I noticed against Madrid and picked up on in MOTD yesterday is our midfield are playing extremely narrow, someone has definitely told Sterling to drift inwards. I don't think this helps Balo it just squeezes the play. Sterling and Lallana need to take 3 steps towards the touch line at times and Coutinho/Henderson if playing needs to be told he needs to be running past Balo and giving teams something to think about. We're too predictable atm
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #116: Oct 26, 2014 02:01:18 pm
      Here's a thought, as controversial as it may sound..

Could it be that LFC fans don't appreciate his body language because he is [effectively] African? We're not used to Africans playing for LFC. Perhaps there is a misinterpretation..

It's only recently that we've had a Nigerian, an Ivorian, and now a Ghanaian (Mario).. all 3 have been criticised for their 'body language' and 'attitude'.

Absolutely ridiculous post mate ... We loved Djibril Cisse, even Diouf at times, Sissoko had a song made for him, Sterling is Jamaican, Sturridge too (both black), Rigobert Song was rated good by most of us, you know the song "we've only got one song!" ... Don't know why i try to justify an absurd statement
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #117: Oct 26, 2014 03:17:07 pm
      And lets say Rodgers gets shut of Balotelli in January , who does he bring in ? He had all summer to sort it out and couldn't .Plus Rafa didn't give 5 months before getting shut .
      So what are you saying bigears - he is good enough or he's not?

As for your question(?) - the answer is: 'someone better'; a better fit and more prolific.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #118: Oct 26, 2014 03:22:32 pm
      I don't think he will score enough to have a career at Liverpool, but your question begs another...how many would be enough?
      More than Mario's goals to games ratio that's for sure and it begs no other F***ing question... he's either good enough, in your opinion, or he's not - just make your mind up. It's really not that complicated.     :dunce2:

the important thing will be how hard he is prepared to work. If he was to score a handful and have the team ethic, he will keep fans on his side which could be enough to see him at Anfield for a season or two.
      I'm not sure if you want to be taken serious or not fella.  :-\

Scoring a handful should never be enough to keep any-F***ing-one at Anfield no matter how hard they work.

On topic: I believe that there's a lot more wrong than just Mario - not least a transfer policy which has at it's heart, money over ability and plays heavily on fans buying into the 'there's always next year' dogma.

« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2014 03:39:54 pm by bad boy bubby »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #119: Oct 26, 2014 03:31:09 pm
      A "second" striker should at least be in double figures but he should also be in double figures in assists too.Mario might get the goals into double figures but his assists figures a erm just one in his EPL career
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #120: Oct 26, 2014 03:31:14 pm
      As somebody else has mentioned, Mario has been made a scapegoat because he's not Luis.  He's not a Liverpool legend nor Kop favourite yet, so he's an easy target for blame. 

Torres had been on the decline for months, injuries and eventually his bad attitude and sulking on the pitch were discussed at length on these boards.  Some were distraught at his leaving, some labelled him, quite rightly, as Judas, a mercenary, his shirt was burned, some probably sent him death threats.  He was useless when he left and he was useless at Chelsea but some still would have had him back this last summer.

We're emotional, sentimental, fickle fucks when we want to be  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #121: Oct 26, 2014 03:44:49 pm
      As somebody else has mentioned, Mario has been made a scapegoat because he's not Luis.  He's not a Liverpool legend nor Kop favourite yet, so he's an easy target for blame.
      I agree that he's not to blame [it's not his fault that he's never going to be prolific or that we signed him] - so if we accept that he's an easy target: where else do you see the "blame" lying 'debs?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #122: Oct 26, 2014 03:48:12 pm
      I agree that he's not to blame [it's not his fault that he's never going to be prolific or that we signed him] - so if we accept that he's an easy target: where else do you see the "blame" lying 'debs?

who wanted him who sanctioned the purchase.We already have a 12 goal a season forward in Lambert who can also promise double figure assists.What genius bought a player who has 1 assist to his name and expect him to form a partnership.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #123: Oct 26, 2014 03:54:38 pm

Danny being injured is the obvious to me Mouse.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #124: Oct 26, 2014 04:11:24 pm
      Danny being injured is the obvious to me Mouse.
      Well one things for sure Debs - it's certainly obvious that an awful lot of us are hoping, like you, that Danny's return will be the panacea. I hope they're right... Not much pressure there then.   >:D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #125: Oct 26, 2014 04:18:32 pm
      Well one things for sure Debs - it's certainly obvious that an awful lot of us are hoping, like you, that Danny's return will be the panacea. I hope they're right... Not much pressure there then.   >:D

I get the feeling you don't feel the same mate. 

If Danny doesn't live up to being the main man, or continues with his injury problems he could find himself out the door next summer.  Now that would cause ructions on these boards.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #126: Oct 26, 2014 04:24:36 pm
      I get the feeling you don't feel the same mate.
      Our problems [mid and long-term anyhow] run way deeper than Studge being fit Debs - no need to repeat what I think they are; I've posts aplenty on the subject. Let's leave it there.  :-\
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,741 posts | 882 
      Reply #127: Oct 26, 2014 04:46:21 pm

Absolutely ridiculous post mate ... We loved Djibril Cisse, even Diouf at times, Sissoko had a song made for him, Sterling is Jamaican, Sturridge too (both black), Rigobert Song was rated good by most of us, you know the song "we've only got one song!" ... Don't know why i try to justify an absurd statement

Cisse was similarly disliked for being 'lazy' (body language). You are correct, Sturridge and Sterling are not African. :)

Again, the point is, perhaps there is a misinterpretation of body language of some African players? - that's all I've suggested. The amount of abuse Moses received last season was ridiculous. This season, it is Balotelli. I've seen the same 'never see him in a red shirt again' comments. 'worst player in a red shirt ever' blah blah. 'he is lazy', 'he doesn't want to play'. 'it's not his contribution, but his body language'..

I watch a lot of African football, and some players tend to have what is perceived as a look of 'disinterest'. I've seen mention of Emenike as a possible buy for Liverpool. Problem there is,  he gets criticised by British commentators for the same thing. His body language. Cracking player.. but again, misunderstood.

So no, nothing racist implied. If its completely wrong, then fair enough. But I have seen these players wrongly accused of having a bad attitude, and it may well be that there is a misunderstanding from the style in which they play.

Going back to Mario.. is he really that uninterested? I don't think so. He's putting in a shift the PL has not seen before - tracking back, looking out for the team - and he is trying to get the goals. He's simply got that Striker curse at the moment, and if anything, is 'trying too hard'.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #128: Oct 26, 2014 04:58:27 pm
      Rigobert Song was rated good by most of us,

Who exactly is this "us" you talk about lad? Song was sh*t for us.

And just before that tit gets on his soap box again, Song weren't sh*t because he was African or black. Song was sh*t because he didn't have the ability to anything else.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #129: Oct 26, 2014 05:00:53 pm
      I watch a lot of African football, and some players tend to have what is perceived as a look of 'disinterest'.
      Aye "some players" not all surely?

And... if it's not "all" then two things #1: what the F**k has being African got to do with anything? and #2: if you, who watches a lot of African football, describes them as looking "disinterested"; why do you think it's unreasonable for any other Red to interpret it in the same way?

Seriously fella... quit digging.  :-[
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #130: Oct 26, 2014 05:04:07 pm
      So what are you saying bigears - he is good enough or he's not?
      He's not good enough , never has never will but he should not be a whipping boy just because Rodgers fu**ed up the transfer window .

As for your question(?) - the answer is: 'someone better'; a better fit and more prolific.
      He couldn't get Sanchez when he had all that Suarez money so the chances of getting a replacement in January are slim to none .

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #131: Oct 26, 2014 05:04:36 pm
      And just before that tit Ali G gets on his soap box again

DanMann

• 5,741 posts | 882 
      Reply #132: Oct 26, 2014 05:12:08 pm
      why do you think it's unreasonable for any other Red to interpret it in the same way?

I don't. I'm not surprised. That's why I pointed it out.

I keep referring to it as a misinterpretation.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #133: Oct 26, 2014 05:14:19 pm
      He's not good enough , never has never will but he should not be a whipping boy just because Rodgers fu**ed up the transfer window.
      If you believe that Brendan [or anyone else] fu**ed up the transfer window then I totally agree that the issues lie deeper than Mario and said as much earlier.

He couldn't get Sanchez when he had all that Suarez money so the chances of getting a replacement in January are slim to none .
      And that's got what to do with what exactly - I'm not trying to be obtuse; I'm obviously just missing your point bigears. Are you saying we should just persist with someone who is, in your words, "not good enough, never has never will" be? That we shouldn't even try?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #134: Oct 26, 2014 05:17:37 pm
      there is a solution to stop him being a scapegoat....score a f***in goal
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #135: Oct 26, 2014 05:22:10 pm
      If you believe that Brendan [or anyone else] fu**ed up the transfer window then I totally agree that the issues lie deeper than Mario and said as much earlier.
      The coaching staff are a problem mate as are the transfer policies .

And that's got what to do with what exactly - I'm not trying to be obtuse; I'm obviously just missing your point bigears. Are you saying we should just persist with someone who is, in your words, "not good enough, never has never will" be? That we shouldn't even try?
      I'm not saying we shouldn't try , obviously we should but has Rodgers got a clue at finding quality ? I don't think he has and the majority of transfer windows have proved it to me .

bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #136: Oct 26, 2014 05:23:12 pm
      there is a solution to stop him being a scapegoat....score a f***in goal
      I don't think he could score in a brothel mate .

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #137: Oct 26, 2014 05:24:47 pm
      I don't think he could score in a brothel mate .

that may just be what he needs. :f_tongueincheek:

Quick Reply