Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Mario Balotelli’s scapegoating hides the real issues at Liverpool

Read 13487 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Mario Balotelli’s scapegoating hides the real issues at Liverpool
      Reply #138: Oct 26, 2014 05:26:16 pm
      that may just be what he needs. :f_tongueincheek:
      Nah he's had plenty of fanny .

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #139: Oct 26, 2014 05:29:25 pm
      I don't. I'm not surprised. That's why I pointed it out.
      Let's look at what you said - "Could it be that LFC fans don't appreciate his body language because he is [effectively] African?"... "Effectively" African.

First off - being African would have absolutely no F***ing bearing on the "misinterpretation" argument - one, because not all Africans (as you pointed out) have the same body language and two, Mario was born in Italy. Are you really trying to say that Mario's body-language is genetic? That it is peculiar only to Africans? Oh holy F**k!

Listen Dan - it's clear you have an issue with Liverpool fans criticising what you see as Africans - why, F**k only knows why but... by inferring (and let's be honest here - that's what you were doing) that Liverpool fans are racist you, yourself were and are being racist.

Now quit the wriggling and please stop digging. I'm embarrassed for you.  :-[
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #140: Oct 26, 2014 05:34:24 pm
      Let's look at what you said - "Could it be that LFC fans don't appreciate his body language because he is [effectively] African?"... "Effectively" African.

First off - being African would have absolutely no f**king bearing on the "misinterpretation" argument - one, because not all Africans (as you pointed out) have the same body language and two, Mario was born in Italy. Are you really trying to say that Mario's body-language is genetic? That it is peculiar only to Africans? Oh holy f**k!

Listen Dan - it's clear you have an issue with Liverpool fans criticising what you see as Africans - why, f**k only knows why but... by inferring (and let's be honest here - that's what you were doing) that Liverpool fans are racist you, yourself were and are being racist.

whats that old saying. "none so blind as them that will not see" something like that
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #141: Oct 26, 2014 05:48:49 pm
      I don't. I'm not surprised. That's why I pointed it out.

Nah his body language was all wrong. These were much better;

DanMann

• 5,728 posts | 881 
      Reply #142: Oct 26, 2014 08:42:50 pm

First off - being African would have absolutely no f**king bearing on the "misinterpretation" argument - one, because not all Africans (as you pointed out) have the same body language and two, Mario was born in Italy. Are you really trying to say that Mario's body-language is genetic? That it is peculiar only to Africans? Oh holy f**k!

Listen Dan - it's clear you have an issue with Liverpool fans criticising what you see as Africans - why, f**k only knows why but... by inferring (and let's be honest here - that's what you were doing) that Liverpool fans are racist you, yourself were and are being racist.

I won't carry on the conversation any further other than to again emphasise.. I do not imply in the slightest that Liverpool fans are racist.

There is no 'racism' implied anywhere in my posts. If you think that, then you have misunderstood.

Cheers
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #143: Oct 26, 2014 08:57:30 pm
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #144: Oct 26, 2014 09:07:54 pm
      Cisse was similarly disliked for being 'lazy' (body language). You are correct, Sturridge and Sterling are not African. :)

Again, the point is, perhaps there is a misinterpretation of body language of some African players? - that's all I've suggested. The amount of abuse Moses received last season was ridiculous. This season, it is Balotelli. I've seen the same 'never see him in a red shirt again' comments. 'worst player in a red shirt ever' blah blah. 'he is lazy', 'he doesn't want to play'. 'it's not his contribution, but his body language'..

I watch a lot of African football, and some players tend to have what is perceived as a look of 'disinterest'. I've seen mention of Emenike as a possible buy for Liverpool. Problem there is,  he gets criticised by British commentators for the same thing. His body language. Cracking player.. but again, misunderstood.

So no, nothing racist implied. If its completely wrong, then fair enough. But I have seen these players wrongly accused of having a bad attitude, and it may well be that there is a misunderstanding from the style in which they play.

Going back to Mario.. is he really that uninterested? I don't think so. He's putting in a shift the PL has not seen before - tracking back, looking out for the team - and he is trying to get the goals. He's simply got that Striker curse at the moment, and if anything, is 'trying too hard'.

the most obvious case is that of yaya toure, his body language at times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #145: Oct 26, 2014 09:11:25 pm
      the most obvious case is that of yaya toure, his body language at times

what about Stewart Downings body language or to the extreme Wayne Rooney.body language is not affected by race its an individual thing
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #146: Oct 26, 2014 09:22:39 pm
      what about Stewart Downings body language or to the extreme Wayne Rooney.body language is not affected by race its an individual thing

yes, i wasnt implying that, ibrahimovic stands out for me as one of the laziest players , but his quality makes up for it, that's the case of yaya toure too, only that he's not as lazy as ibra
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4908 
      Reply #147: Oct 26, 2014 10:04:38 pm
      The amount of abuse Moses received last season was ridiculous.

Moses received the amount of stick he got last season because he was F***ing sh*te. Plain and simple.
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #148: Oct 27, 2014 01:25:12 am
      In his post-match interview, Bruce enthused:

"I thought he [Balotelli] was their best player.

"He is a bit of a maverick, and when you sign a maverick you have to treat him like one and get the best out of him somehow.

"He is going through one of those sticky periods but the kid is a talent."

Is Bruce right about Balotelli being Liverpool's 'best player' against Hull? Basic stats from the game:

- Tackles won: 100%
      - Passing accuracy: 71.4%
      - Duels won: 35%
      - Aerial duels won: 25%
      - Successful dribbles: 3
      - Total Shots: 2

I thought he was really good on that day.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #149: Oct 27, 2014 01:57:16 am
      the demands with being a centre forward are truly immense. Balotelli has never had the responsibility of being that working for the team centre forward - more a winger. now add how important us Liverpool supporters consider it to have that tireless centre forward - Mario has a hell of a job but he is working on it. NOW, where the hell is that supposed support for our players? short-term sooking on internet forums, scapegoating and calling for heads 5 games into a season is not that famous support. anyone not watching our games in a cloud of anger and hatred can see Mario is working, just not in the way we are used to seeing our forwards work...
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #150: Oct 27, 2014 02:03:05 am
      Danny being injured is the obvious to me Mouse.

I disagree. Danny being injured should not be a problem. The blame is Brendan Rodgers who is trying to fit Mario in to a style of play that suits Suarez and Sturridge rather than a style of play that suits Mario. It's been obvious for a few matches now that he is neither relishing nor prospering playing up front on his own yet Rodgers has persisted in his formations and tactics. People talked about his tactical flexibility last season. Had he been a little more flexible this season and played to Balotelli's strengths, we may well not have noticed Danny's absence.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #151: Oct 27, 2014 02:19:30 am
      We can't play 442 diamond in Europe especially against Real they will murder us.   I think 442 is a good component to have in the premiership but to use when chasing games.  Brendan is trying to get Balotelli playing in 4231 or 433 as the only centre forward. 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #152: Oct 27, 2014 09:33:28 am
      I disagree. Danny being injured should not be a problem. The blame is Brendan Rodgers who is trying to fit Mario in to a style of play that suits Suarez and Sturridge rather than a style of play that suits Mario. It's been obvious for a few matches now that he is neither relishing nor prospering playing up front on his own yet Rodgers has persisted in his formations and tactics. People talked about his tactical flexibility last season. Had he been a little more flexible this season and played to Balotelli's strengths, we may well not have noticed Danny's absence.

That's what I meant mate that Danny being injured has meant the whole system needed to be changed but that's meant going back to square one with players being used to a different system from last season.

I've posted several times that we look like we did in the first few months of Brendans tenure, where nobody seemed to know what the hell they were doing but that we will improve as we did then.  I stand by that analysis.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #153: Oct 27, 2014 09:53:11 am
      i actually think there's been too much balo made. his "scapegoating" certainly hasn't deflected anythign away from our failings elsewhere, but balo attracts the sort of attention he always does.
      falcao has scored 1 goal in 4 appearances for scum, we haven't heard much about it at all. yes balo has made more appearances, but falcao is a much more high profile and much more expensive player. i remember shearer went through a massive dry spell, andy cole did too and they didn't get the same sh*t as balo, so i'm a little tired of the media thirst for balo's failings. i do think he needs to be dropped because he isn't scoring and his perceived behaviour is not good for the team spirit, but i also think his goals will come, just needs a bit of luck and a slightly different approach.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #154: Oct 27, 2014 10:30:08 am
      i actually think there's been too much balo made. his "scapegoating" certainly hasn't deflected anythign away from our failings elsewhere, but balo attracts the sort of attention he always does.
      falcao has scored 1 goal in 4 appearances for scum, we haven't heard much about it at all. yes balo has made more appearances, but falcao is a much more high profile and much more expensive player. i remember shearer went through a massive dry spell, andy cole did too and they didn't get the same sh*t as balo, so i'm a little tired of the media thirst for balo's failings. i do think he needs to be dropped because he isn't scoring and his perceived behaviour is not good for the team spirit, but i also think his goals will come, just needs a bit of luck and a slightly different approach.

Every Sunday paper lead with Mario failing to score again. The MoS (no I don't buy it) had no less than three pages on it. Sky Sports has half a dozen articles and videos on Mario's lack of scoring. None of them focus on our defence or our midfield. None of them talk about Falco, a reported £23 million one season signing only scoring one goal. Be fair, does that really sound proportional to you?
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #155: Oct 27, 2014 11:42:55 am
      More than Mario's goals to games ratio that's for sure and it begs no other f**king question... he's either good enough, in your opinion, or he's not - just make your mind up. It's really not that complicated.     :dunce2:
      I'm not sure if you want to be taken serious or not fella.  :-\

Scoring a handful should never be enough to keep any-f**king-one at Anfield no matter how hard they work.

On topic: I believe that there's a lot more wrong than just Mario - not least a transfer policy which has at it's heart, money over ability and plays heavily on fans buying into the 'there's always next year' dogma.

It's not complicated, but, you are missing the point. The days of sh*t loads of goals are gone, you know that. The Elite Club for those scoring 20 and 30 a season these days is very exclusive. If the amount of goals scored by any striker was the basis for keeping him or not, then no player would be at a club for more than a season.

But as you ask, of course Balotelli is good enough. We have seen the goals he is capable of and certainly wouldn't have been playing for the Clubs he has if he wasn't.

Work rate counts for a lot among Liverpool Fans. Look at Dirk Kuyt for example, hand full of goals most seasons but he was loved for how hard he worked. Bellamy wasn't prolific but had a great rapport with the crowd. Crouch, again always did his job and most of us hated the fact he left when he did.

I predict Balotelli to play well with Sturridge and Sterling once they have the opportunity and he will score 10 plus in PL this season.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #156: Oct 27, 2014 12:17:52 pm

On topic: I believe that there's a lot more wrong than just Mario - not least a transfer policy which has at it's heart, money over ability and plays heavily on fans buying into the 'there's always next year' dogma.

Paradoxically that does tie in with the horseshit ''potential'' maxim the owners foist upon any critics of their abysmal methods of conducting the affairs of a soccer club.
      The truth is 'potential' is a half-promise, an entity that FSG seem more than content to run LFC on the basis of.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #157: Oct 27, 2014 12:18:00 pm
      Every Sunday paper lead with Mario failing to score again. The MoS (no I don't buy it) had no less than three pages on it. Sky Sports has half a dozen articles and videos on Mario's lack of scoring. None of them focus on our defence or our midfield. None of them talk about Falco, a reported £23 million one season signing only scoring one goal. Be fair, does that really sound proportional to you?

Who gives a F**k if Falcao is scoring or not, Manure have other players who can score and do score, we don't. That is why there is more focus on Balotelli, what there should be more focus on though is why the F**k our genius manager insists on playing a misfiring striker in a position he doesn't like and which very very clearly doesn't work for the team. Every time he brings on a second striker we become more dangerous so maybe, and I know this is bit radical, but maybe start the F***ing game with 2 strikers!!! I mean its now exactly rocket science.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #158: Oct 27, 2014 03:13:30 pm

no of course it's not proportional, it's complete boll*x, the media have had it in for us since the rafa days and now their fave scapegoat is playing for their least favourite club...it's complete w*nk material for them.
      Who gives a f**k if Falcao is scoring or not, Manure have other players who can score and do score, we don't. That is why there is more focus on Balotelli, what there should be more focus on though is why the f**k our genius manager insists on playing a misfiring striker in a position he doesn't like and which very very clearly doesn't work for the team. Every time he brings on a second striker we become more dangerous so maybe, and I know this is bit radical, but maybe start the f**king game with 2 strikers!!! I mean its now exactly rocket science.

generally i don't care what's happening at other clubs, but when we constantly receive so much negative attention and other clubs are let off lightly, it kinda piss*s me off. no matter how much br and the team can try to ignore it, it will impact the mood around the club, surely you can't deny that? it's not just falcao who is costing 23m, soldado has scored 6 goals in 26 appearances for the sperms. that's a 26m flop if you ask me. van p and rooney have only scored 3 goals each, dzeko has only got 2, not exactly lighting it up for such expensive players, but we've heard absolutely f**k all about it in the media. yet when it's balo, or when it was caroll, they were lining up to take pot shots at us.

i do agree with you however that if br is insistent on playing a mis-firing striker, he's gotta play 2 up front. i've said all along that we're much more threatening with 2. either that, or drop him. simple as that.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #159: Oct 27, 2014 04:56:43 pm
      I've posted several times that we look like we did in the first few months of Brendans tenure, where nobody seemed to know what the hell they were doing but that we will improve as we did then.  I stand by that analysis.

Thats spot on Debs.

However we shouldn't be ........ not after two and a half years of being the manager.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #160: Oct 27, 2014 05:04:54 pm
      Thats spot on Debs.

However we shouldn't be ........ not after two and a half years of being the manager.

how did we manage to lose one player and go back 2 seasons.
      The someone fu**ed up big time theory looks to be alive and kicking as far as I am concenred

Quick Reply