Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Mario Balotelli’s scapegoating hides the real issues at Liverpool

Read 13399 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Re: Mario Balotelli’s scapegoating hides the real issues at Liverpool
      Reply #69: Oct 26, 2014 02:49:32 am
      Quote from bazspeedman
      Oh but he should have got a penno when he fell over the ball that time.

I'm talking about the chance from 6 yards in injury time. Forwards love chances like that at times like that. Arsenal scored against them to secure a point. His miss against them also secured a point. Unfortunately we don't have 20 shots on target these days, so the ones we do create for him can't be missed.

We've won 2 home games this season. He didn't play in either of them. It's not good enough that he's merely "getting into the positions" to miss them. Some of them are so simple, I'd expect Iago Aspas to take them.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 622 posts | 59 
      Reply #70: Oct 26, 2014 06:07:38 am

Your'e right he isn't average,he's worse than average,his goal record at Liverpool proves that,average players would have taken the chances he has had,he is missing chances your average pub team striker would bury ffs,massive mistake by BR bringing him in.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #71: Oct 26, 2014 07:42:38 am
      Your'e right he isn't average,he's worse than average,his goal record at Liverpool proves that,average players would have taken the chances he has had,he is missing chances your average pub team striker would bury ffs,massive mistake by BR bringing him in.

I'll recommend you watch some of his goals for Milan, Man City, Inter, Italy, i bet that most players can't score goals like those, let alone pub team strikers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWCd3MNQA8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iOMok6lyJo
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,627 posts | 128 
      Reply #72: Oct 26, 2014 08:31:55 am
      Balotelli is been scapegoat because of his body language.

Just walking around looking absolutly not interested what is going on?  Sorry but this is inacceptable!
      He doesn't have to score a hat-trick every match to not jump on him. 

BUT he should put in a shift and run his F***ing ass off every match!
      That is the least I expect from any Liverpool player once they put on the red shirt!
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #73: Oct 26, 2014 09:02:37 am
      Come on, this is the way Balotelli plays, it's not like he suddenly decided to walk through matches since he joined us, we knew how he played before we signed him, it's not like a massive surprise, at least for me, but i expected him to score some goals, or show some magic upfront. This is his style of playing, like Ibrahimovic, but the latter one scores for fun, and the fact that he is lazy doesn't matter.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #74: Oct 26, 2014 09:07:42 am
      This is what i love about this forum.
      We should be free to discus our views.
      Things like this would immediately get deleted in RAWK.

EXACTLY.   

We first had the Rafa Mafia  now we have the Brendan Thought Police.

If I don't like someone telling us his career plans of "being here for 20 years" ... then he will go to Spain ... I expect the right to be able to say so.

He will only still be here in 20 years if hes earn't the right to be. No other reason.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #75: Oct 26, 2014 09:08:16 am
      Balotelli is been scapegoat because of his body language.

Here's a thought, as controversial as it may sound..

Could it be that LFC fans don't appreciate his body language because he is [effectively] African? We're not used to Africans playing for LFC. Perhaps there is a misinterpretation..

It's only recently that we've had a Nigerian, an Ivorian, and now a Ghanaian (Mario).. all 3 have been criticised for their 'body language' and 'attitude'.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #76: Oct 26, 2014 09:10:13 am

Could it be that LFC fans don't appreciate his body language because he is [effectively] African? We're not used to Africans playing for LFC. Perhaps there is a misinterpretation..

It's only recently that we've had a Nigerian, an Ivorian, and now a Ghanaian (Mario).. all 3 have been criticised for their 'body language' and 'attitude'.

We've got two scousers  .... Stevie and Flanno.

Whats your take on them ?
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,627 posts | 128 
      Reply #77: Oct 26, 2014 09:17:05 am
      Come on, this is the way Balotelli plays, it's not like he suddenly decided to walk through matches since he joined us, we knew how he played before we signed him, it's not like a massive surprise, at least for me, but i expected him to score some goals, or show some magic upfront. This is his style of playing, like Ibrahimovic, but the latter one scores for fun, and the fact that he is lazy doesn't matter.

Dosen't have to mean he is not able to adapted his "style of play". If he is more than an average footballer he should have this ability. Rodgers style includes pace and  movement. Balotelli should  provide running into spaces!  One reason Mario doesn't get enough service is, because he is not bringing himself into the right positions.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #78: Oct 26, 2014 09:17:18 am
      We've got two scousers  .... Stevie and Flanno.

Whats your take on them ?

As I'm not Scouse, I struggle to understand what they say....  :laugh: ;)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #79: Oct 26, 2014 09:18:56 am
      As I'm not Scouse, I struggle to understand what they say....  :laugh: ;)

;D
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,627 posts | 128 
      Reply #80: Oct 26, 2014 09:24:42 am

African or not. Dosen't matter to me tbh.  If this is Mario showing his best effort?  Well than he is at the wrong club!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #81: Oct 26, 2014 09:52:09 am
      Providing a definition of scapegoating is not necessary vis a vis the opening post, this suggests a cognitive dissonance on the part of the reader.
      The suggestion of scapegoating to conceal any perceived issues within the team set-up is just as much a contradiction, one individual held up as the cause of a myriad of misalignment is as faulted and misleading as the whole blame-game state of mind.
      The manager is fully aware of the implication of such an attitude and goes out of his way to disassociate himself from such views, he may comment on particular incidents and specific performance levels but never holds up straw men. 
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #82: Oct 26, 2014 09:55:30 am

The most ridiculous post I've ever seen on this forum.

You've really outdone yourself this time, Jesus I thought your Victor Moses posts were bad....
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #83: Oct 26, 2014 10:24:36 am
      The most ridiculous post I've ever seen on this forum.

Its worse than that mate and you know what I am talking about.Dear God its 2014.

jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #84: Oct 26, 2014 10:32:17 am
      The guy is missing a part of his brain, but if he starts scoring, that'd do for now. We knew he was a twit when we signed him.
      If any other striker was playing better, Mario wouldn't be in the side - not Mario's fault the others are either injured or in sh*te-er form.

I totally disagree, Mario Balotelli would be in the side if others were playing better and arguably, there are others playing better.

Brendan Rodgers (or whoever else people are suggesting was responsible) brought him in knowing the risk was huge. The only way the powers that be will prove the press and the fans wrong is by playing him week in week out.

To be fair to Mario, he will always be battered for the negative's but how many players have we taken on, with a reputation or not, have taken a while to ignite their form?
      You don't need telling how many duds we have signed or the players that took weeks, months to finally turn it on.

Balotelli is never a lone striker so playing alongside Sterling and Lallana, neither who are Strikers, it is unreasonable to expect Balotelli to hit the ground running. He can be judged once Daniel Sturridge has returned and can form an understanding. No it will never be as good as that with Luis but he will score goals.

It is the same with any Striker lacking confidence, they look disinterested. Balotelli has said he doesn't celebrate goals, but when he does finally knock one in in the PL, he will be celebrating so much inside and that is all that may be needed.

BR must stick with him. There would be no point removing him until Sturridge returned, unless he was going to turn to Fabio Borini but he has burnt his bridges with him.

Balotelli against Hull missed a sitter but at least he is getting into those positions, as he did several times yesterday and against QPR for example.

I agree with lots of posts especially the whole of this thread, we are not suffering at the hands of Mario Balotelli, it goes deeper than that.

Skrtl and Johnson have been part of the poor Liverpool defence for the last 4 or 5 seasons and it has not been the centre of attention simply because of the success Torres and Suarez had in front of goal...this lies the main problem.
      We have left the defence to fester.

Let's leave Balotelli alone and give him the benefit of the doubt until he, like any other Striker has a basis to play to his potential.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #85: Oct 26, 2014 10:36:49 am
      People keep saying he is not a lone striker but can anyone tell me who he has struck up a good partnership with?.
      He showed huge potential as a kid but he has never developed into a world star has he.
      If we have aspirations of winning the league how would buying Mario improve our chances?.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #86: Oct 26, 2014 10:41:44 am

what a load of crap.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #87: Oct 26, 2014 10:42:22 am

Let's not go there. Football is football regardless of origins, lest supporters of other teams pick on us.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #88: Oct 26, 2014 10:44:05 am

Could it be that LFC fans don't appreciate his body language because he is [effectively] African?

Sweet F**k.  :roll:

Here's a thought, as controversial as it may sound - you have no right to call any Liverpool fans racist - which is [effectively] what you've just done. Flick that chip of your shoulder and quit being a dick.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #89: Oct 26, 2014 10:48:50 am

Don't be so F***ing daft.

Liverpool fans idolised a certain African named Bruce Grobbelaar. We had an affection with a certain African named Titi Camara. Liverpool fans of a certain age will tell you just how much they loved Gordon Hodgson (another South African). While he played for the Aussies, Craig Johnston was born in South Africa and was loved by Liverpool fans.

If a player is good enough then they'll get praised. If they're sh*t they'll get criticised regardless of where they're from.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #90: Oct 26, 2014 10:54:18 am
      DanMann you are still there ?? Moses plays for Stoke City you know.

Out of that you realise that calling an Italian born in Palermo and who has grown up in Italy a Ghanean because he's black and he's parents are from there is a bit racist ?

jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #91: Oct 26, 2014 10:55:35 am
      People keep saying he is not a lone striker but can anyone tell me who he has struck up a good partnership with?.
      He showed huge potential as a kid but he has never developed into a world star has he.
      If we have aspirations of winning the league how would buying Mario improve our chances?.

Am pretty sure the idea was to play him alongside Daniel Sturridge aren't you? So maybe when he returns, we will only be able to judge Balotelli as someone who has improved our chances.

You ask a good question in who has he formed a partnership with and it's a valid point...no one is the answer. So he needs to be played to his strengths and given service just like anyone else.

Balotelli's goalscoring record isn't that impressive for any striker. 80+ goals at club level since about 8 years, about 60 of these were as a lone striker at Milan and Inter. So is it really that bad?

He needs the platform to shine. Once Sturridge is back and it would be wrong to expect immediate results, Balotelli will score goals.

Quick Reply