Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Do we already have Suarez replacement in Sterling ?

Read 3579 times
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Do we already have Suarez replacement in Sterling ?
      Oct 24, 2014 03:54:58 pm
      I mean, look at Suarez main qualities :
       - excellent dribble, low center of gravity making hard for big defenders to stop him
       - excellent movement with and without the ball
       - good capacity to hold it
       - good team player able to make other scores as much he scores himself
       - good creativity
       - exceptionnal work rate and fighting spirit
       - excellent shooting precision
       - decent head play
       - goal instinct

All theses qualities out of the shooting precision and heading power, Sterling already has them or look like he can developp them (ie : about his goal scoring instinct, remember he was first remarked when he scored 5 goals in one game for u19).
      They are extremely similar in the way when they lose the ball they immediatly try to get it back, their capacity to make excellent runs at the limit of offside, exploit both small and big spaces, how collective they can be for attackers, etc.... 
      And where he is of course inferior to Suarez in most of these areas, he can certainly compensate with his far superior pace, and his better repute turning into set pieces far more fouls against him. And having showed qualities to play in any position from left back to 10, I think he can easily learn to play striker as well.

Then the question, when everyone complaint LFC is failing to adapt to Suarez loss is why aren't we playing Sterling in the front line (like yesterday after Balotelli left but not alone) ? Playing as Luis, Sterling would certainly look far less "as a square peg we are trying to fit in a round hole" than Balotelli or Lambert imo.

We have Lallana, Coutinho, Markovic to play as wingers or 10. Why not making the firm decision to play Sterling as a 11, or rather as Suarez 7 using the SaS formation every game ? He certainly won't score as much, but alongside Sturridge he may be half of a very decent new SaS (or make Balotelli or Borini look better teamed with him in front).
      « Last Edit: Oct 24, 2014 06:16:30 pm by MsGerrard »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Do we already have Suarez remplacement in Sterling ?
      Reply #1: Oct 24, 2014 04:03:26 pm
      He is even better playing just behind the strikers and I doubt he would be able to cope with the rough house tactics of the EPL CB's.
      Also his shooting needs considerable improving, a lot of the goals he scored last season were layed on a plate for him by Suarez.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,537 posts | 2126 
      Reply #2: Oct 24, 2014 04:43:52 pm
      It's worth a go I think, I'd play him there tomorrow and see how he gets on. At worst it will improve his game to spend some time there and I suspect we will look far more dangerous and a lot more like last year's Liverpool if he does.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #3: Oct 24, 2014 04:51:03 pm
      We're not playing him as a Striker because he's not a Striker. But I would like to see him played as a False 9 which I think he could do well in. Not in every match, mind but just on occasion to do something different because we're a bit one dimensional in our approach to games. But like HSc says, his best position is playing behind strikers that can open up holes for his pace to exploit but he does need to improve his strike rate.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #4: Oct 24, 2014 05:58:12 pm
      Sorry but Sterling is nowhere close to being a Suarez replacement.

Suarez was an animal when he hit the pitch. You can't teach that and you either have it or you don't. Sterling doesn't have that.

Sterling could be a phenomenal player...but nothing like Suarez. If anything I'd expect Sterling to follow more along the lines of C. Ronaldo and his style of game.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #5: Oct 24, 2014 06:02:45 pm
      Too young to compare.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6: Oct 24, 2014 06:02:54 pm
      Luis is a once in a generation player we are so lucky to have seen him play at Anfield
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #7: Oct 24, 2014 06:09:24 pm
      Ok my title gave a bit to sensationnalism.
      The question is "wouldn't it be more efficient for current LFC to ask Sterling to play in Suarez role, even if he is of course inferior ?". Considering our other options are Balotelli, Lambert and Borini, and we seem to have failed to developp a style adapted to their qualities, I'd tend to answer "yes".

Out of that "he's not a striker" may be a bit premature. At this age wouldn't Carragher have been labelled a midfielder and Bale a left back ?
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #8: Oct 24, 2014 06:11:27 pm
      should have went for di maria
      MsGerrard
      Re: Do we already have Suarez replacement in Sterling ?
      Reply #9: Oct 24, 2014 06:18:02 pm
      Maybe in a couple of years....Sterling, as good as he is, still has a lot of growing to do, still only 19.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10: Oct 24, 2014 06:19:49 pm
      Maybe in a couple of years....Sterling, as good as he is, still has a lot of growing to do, still only 19.

I think we need to protect this kid we are already putting way too much pressure on him
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #11: Oct 24, 2014 06:27:09 pm
      Don't think we will ever see a true replacement for Suarez.

I can see Rodgers accomodating formations to suit the players needs rather than the two striker system. He could essentially play two strikers in a sense that one will be a floating 9 - I think the most likely replacement for Suarez - as bizaare as it seems - is Lallana as he harangue's players in a similar style to Suarez. Obviously not as good, but his persistant pressing and darting runs forward, in addition to link up play and dribbling makes him the most similar to Suarez in style.

If we are to buy an out and out striker, who is the best suited to the squad? Let's face it - Balotelli now looks like a last chance desperate buy, so hopefully this is rectified in January. I don't know enough about the likes of Higuan and Reus who have been linked - what is their style of play and does it suit us?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #12: Oct 24, 2014 06:45:04 pm
      Luis is a once in a generation player we are so lucky to have seen him play at Anfield

I agree. I do think Sterling will become a great for us over the years though, by far the most potential we have had in a youngster for a long time.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #13: Oct 24, 2014 06:48:14 pm
      He's got many talents Raheem but he isn't a Suarez.

I think he could play the false 9 quite well but Ronaldo/Suarez not for me, think perhaps he could develop into a Messi type without the culture and delicacy of his game.

Sometimes though we search too much for the next this, the next that, if he's truly going to make it he has to make it as himself.
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #14: Oct 24, 2014 06:56:39 pm
      I have thought of the same thing before, Sterling is brilliant dribbler and he isn't afraid to take on his man like Suarez. But what Sterling doesn't have is Suarez's scoring abilities - Suarez has better shooting prowess, he scores free kicks, etc.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,222 posts | 747 
      Reply #15: Oct 24, 2014 07:05:26 pm
      Sterling may not be a Suarez, but then who is ? But with time on his side, handled in the right way, Raheem could become a truly outstanding player with his own devastating pace and skill, for club and country, providing he keeps his feet on the ground.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #16: Oct 24, 2014 07:15:42 pm
      There is no other Suarez.

One off.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #17: Oct 24, 2014 07:28:48 pm
      I have been very impressed with young Sterling with the amount of ground he covers and his football in general. I only hope that Fenway do not see him as a means of getting big bickies for him.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #18: Oct 24, 2014 07:31:28 pm
      I agree. I do think Sterling will become a great for us over the years though, by far the most potential we have had in a youngster for a long time.

Luis was 24 or 25 when he started to perform to a consistently high level I think we need to give Raheem a chance to develop to that level
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #19: Oct 24, 2014 08:09:04 pm
      I see Lallana as the closest player we have to Suarez, so playing Lallana as a roaming forward next to another striker would work better than if Sterling played the Suarez role.

For me, Sterling as mentioned, is a fantastic dribbler with pace, but what really sets him apart is his awareness and composure, not panicking and being able to dribble out of tight spaces leaving midfielders dead and dry. Not many #10s or midfielders can do what Sterling does, infact, the only player I feel that does this better is Di Maria, who happens to be world class.

This is why him as a forward is a total waste of his abilities. He adds a totally new dimension to our midfield as a #10 or midfield left or right.

Lallana on the other hand has good movement, agile, very tricky in and around the box, creative and hard working, similar attributes to Suarez? I think Lallana would be greater in that Suarez role rather than Sterling.

Hendo   Sterling
                 Coutinho
            Lallana  Sturrige
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #20: Oct 24, 2014 08:21:09 pm
      There is no other Suarez.

One off.

Let's see when he plays in a team not just set up for him....remember when Torres left..
      MsGerrard
      Reply #21: Oct 24, 2014 08:23:49 pm
      I think we need to protect this kid we are already putting way too much pressure on him

That's what worries me Walton...he precious, he needs protecting xx
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #22: Oct 24, 2014 08:32:55 pm

Way too early to start labelling him as our new saving grace. We are fast becoming much too reliant on him, and it's unfair on the lad.

Quick Reply