Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Southampton, respect where it's due.

Read 12023 times
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Southampton, respect where it's due.
      Oct 25, 2014 03:29:15 am
      I didn't want to put that they've been ravaged (or raped) in the thread title, I'm quite fascinated that one of my favourite ever players has managed them so well this season (Ronald Koeman) after their team got dissected by other teams.
      Wtf ? Their acadamy is better than ours?
      Are they allowed a thread here? Of course they should be. More than Chelsea.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Southampton, respect where it's due.
      Reply #1: Oct 25, 2014 11:55:33 am
      I didn't want to put that they've been ravaged (or raped) in the thread title, I'm quite fascinated that one of my favourite ever players has managed them so well this season (Ronald Koeman) after their team got dissected by other teams.
      Are they allowed a thread here? Of course they should be. More than Chelsea.

I definitely respect Southamptons start to the season after the fire sale of the summer,  someone has a real eye for player recruitment at the club,  hopefully they fall back a bit and allow us to leapfrog them soon though.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #2: Oct 25, 2014 01:29:19 pm
      I definitely respect Southamptons start to the season after the fire sale of the summer,  someone has a real eye for player recruitment at the club,  hopefully they fall back a bit and allow us to leapfrog them soon though.

Oh yes I'm not doubting us being able to out do them, they've blew my mind after being tore apart in the transfer window.
      Worth noting, this team, even with Pochettino leaving.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #3: Oct 25, 2014 01:34:42 pm
      I like Southampton, always have. Am absolutely thrilled for them that they're doing well after being raided in the summer.

They've lost key players, but they've gained arguably even more quality than they lost by buying well.
      Bier
      Reply #4: Oct 25, 2014 01:36:57 pm
      Koeman is a nice bloke. He's doing better than I expected though, he's had his failings in the past but looks like he learned from them and has become a better manager with the years. The transfers of Tadic, Pelle and Alderweireld definitely have his name on them. While I expected Tadic to be good, I'm very surprised by Pelle's success. Normally strikers at his age don't translate well from the eredivisie to a top league. Ofcourse Koeman knew him well because he worked with him at Feyenoord, so probably knew he had more in him. And Southampton definitely have a solid academy.

But the Koeman story gets alot of sympathy from me. It was their father's wish, who was also a former player, that his sons would manage a club together. Unfortunately he passed away last December. So it's a bit bitter sweet for them that they're now managing together. Erwin Koeman is actually a pretty solid manager himself, but is very happy to work in his brother's shadow. It's very obvious to me that they're honoured to manage a club together in the Premier League. And it's kind of revenge now for Ronald too, as he wanted the Dutch national team position last year but felt he was done over by the Dutch FA, who chose Hiddink instead. Now Hiddink is doing very badly and Koeman is very happy to be managing Southampton.

From what I gathered their training and pre season especially has differed alot from last season under Pochettino, who focussed more on the physical aspect, while now they're training more with the ball. Which surprised me, as that's the kind of training I'd expect from someone like Pochettino too.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #5: Oct 25, 2014 01:44:30 pm
      Koeman is a nice bloke. He's doing better than I expected though, he's had his failings in the past but looks like he learned from them and has become a better manager with the years. The transfers of Tadic, Pelle and Alderweireld definitely have his name on them. While I expected Tadic to be good, I'm very surprised by Pelle's success. Normally strikers at his age don't translate well from the eredivisie to a top league. Ofcourse Koeman knew him well because he worked with him at Feyenoord, so probably knew he had more in him. And Southampton definitely have a solid academy.

But the Koeman story gets alot of sympathy from me. It was their father's wish, who was also a former player, that his sons would manage a club together. Unfortunately he passed away last December. So it's a bit bitter sweet for them that they're now managing together. But it's very obvious to me that they're very honoured to manage a club together in the Premier League. And it's kind of revenge now for Ronald too, as he wanted the Dutch national team position last year but felt he was done over by the Dutch FA, who chose Hiddink instead. Now Hiddink is doing very badly and Koeman is very happy to be managing Southampton.

From what I gathered their training and pre season especially has differed alot from last season under Pochettino, who focussed more on the physical aspect, while now they're training more with the ball. Which surprised me, as that's the kind of training I'd expect from someone like Pochettino too.

Wow thanks for sharing this, all I knew from Koeman was I saw him when I was in Gran Canaria (my cousins all support Real Madrid) playing for Barcelona and I've never seen anyone pick out a long pass as well as him, Stevie comes close like.
      Made up for them this season, because I felt sorry for their fans.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6: Oct 25, 2014 01:46:04 pm

Difference is, they gamble, play their youngsters and nurture them in the 1st team.

It's easier for lower/mid table teams to do this as there is less pressure than a top club, that is why they are churning out very good quality youngsters.
      Bier
      Reply #7: Oct 25, 2014 01:53:36 pm
      Wow thanks for sharing this, all I knew from Koeman was I saw him when I was in Gran Canaria (my cousins all support Real Madrid) playing for Barcelona and I've never seen anyone pick out a long pass as well as him, Stevie comes close like.
      Made up for them this season, because I felt sorry for their fans.

Yeah, Koeman gave amazing long range passes, and had a brilliant long distance shot, great free kicks. I think he's actually one of the most scoring defenders in the history of football. Was a great player, pivotal in the Dutch national team that won Euro 1988, the PSV team that won the European Cup in 1988, and the Barcelona team that won the 1992 European Cup.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #8: Oct 25, 2014 01:54:16 pm
      Difference is, they gamble, play their youngsters and nurture them in the 1st team.

It's easier for lower/mid table teams to do this as there is less pressure than a top club, that is why they are churning out very good quality youngsters.

True enough; they get more of a chance maybe.
       Something is right with their coaching/scouts though.
      I'm not coveting someone elses set-up but if something can be improved here then yes I will.
      I mightn't have worded it well today, thought they deserved a topic this season, we bought 3 players from them and they are doing great.
      I was curious to peoples opinions here.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Oct 25, 2014 01:55:30 pm
      Think they were most people's second team last season. Loved watching them. Good to see they've kept it up.

My Anfield tour guide was a Southampton fan and he was lovely, too. Talked to him for half an hour about football.

Dusan Tadic looks absolutely brilliant. Pelle looks a F***ing beast. Nat Clyne....I'm his biggest fan.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #10: Oct 25, 2014 02:00:25 pm
      Yeah, Koeman gave amazing long range passes, and had a brilliant long distance shot, great free kicks. I think he's actually one of the most scoring defenders in the history of football. Was a great player, pivotal in the Dutch national team that won Euro 1988, the PSV team that won the European Cup in 1988, and the Barcelona team that won the 1992 European Cup.

You know what- I mention Koeman to alot of people and they don't remember him that well or see what he was like, so it's good to see you have noticed well more than me.
      I'm glad that you gave me more info relating to him.

Bier
      Reply #11: Oct 25, 2014 02:02:22 pm
      You know what- I mention Koeman to alot of people and they don't remember him that well or see what he was like, so it's good to see you have noticed well more than me.
      I'm glad that you gave me more info relating to him.

Just looking at some of his stats right now. 21 goals at PSV in the Dutch league in 87-88 season. 16 goals for Barcelona in the 92-93 La Liga season. Champions League top scorer in 93-94 with 8 goals. Not bad for a central defender.

Ronald Koeman, top goalscorer of 1993-94 UEFA Champions League
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #12: Oct 25, 2014 02:08:50 pm
      Just looking at some of his stats right now. 21 goals at PSV in the Dutch league in 87-88 season. 16 goals for Barcelona in the 92-93 La Liga season. Champions League top scorer in 93-94 with 8 goals. Not bad for a central defender.

Ronald Koeman, top goalscorer of 1993-94 UEFA Champions League

Wow he had a precise aim, good to see Bobby Robson aswell (loved that guy), that goal at 3.20 is amazing.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #13: Oct 25, 2014 03:00:07 pm
      Don't like them, in fact I can't stand them and whilst their academy has done well they have made a lot of mistakes and let go a couple of fantastic lads (mostly the Pardew era). In terms of them over the last two seasons they have done very well but there is no pressure on them. This season if they'd have kept Lallana etc then they would have been expected to be a strong team again but by selling so many key players that pressure wasn't there and although most people have expected them to struggle, they have done the exact opposite and just improved on last season.

It's a worrying sight when a team like Southampton can lose so many key players and find perfect replacements, yet we lose one player, get 100 odd million to spend and can't replace that one player and look a distant team compared to last season.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #14: Oct 25, 2014 07:14:33 pm
      really happy to see teams like southampton and swansea are playing some great football, hope they keep it this way, feels like a new breath of fresh air to see new teams up there in the top 6
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #15: Oct 25, 2014 11:26:25 pm
      and all this with Sammy Lee as head coach as well.... well done Sammy.. grafter !..
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #16: Oct 25, 2014 11:45:34 pm
      Brilliantly brilliantly run club.

Their emphasis on the youth academy puts every other club - particularly our own - to shame.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #17: Oct 26, 2014 07:18:15 am
      what starts to annoy me is the fact that their fans are mocking us, saying their b-team only managed a draw vs hull and thanking us that we took their dead wood so they can sign quality players
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #18: Oct 26, 2014 07:22:40 am
      what starts to annoy me is the fact that their fans are mocking us, saying their b-team only managed a draw vs hull and thanking us that we took their dead wood so they can sign quality players

Schadenfreude

Don't take it personally
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #19: Oct 26, 2014 10:58:15 am

"Schadenfreude" haha great word, German's have a few like that, all useful in aggressive situations.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #20: Oct 26, 2014 11:33:20 am
      Don't like them, in fact I can't stand them and whilst their academy has done well they have made a lot of mistakes and let go a couple of fantastic lads (mostly the Pardew era). In terms of them over the last two seasons they have done very well but there is no pressure on them. This season if they'd have kept Lallana etc then they would have been expected to be a strong team again but by selling so many key players that pressure wasn't there and although most people have expected them to struggle, they have done the exact opposite and just improved on last season.

It's a worrying sight when a team like Southampton can lose so many key players and find perfect replacements, yet we lose one player, get 100 odd million to spend and can't replace that one player and look a distant team compared to last season.

Fair enough then, you have taken a dislike to them, it can happen; no doubt.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #21: Oct 26, 2014 11:34:50 am
      I like Southampton, always have. Am absolutely thrilled for them that they're doing well after being raided in the summer.

They've lost key players, but they've gained arguably even more quality than they lost by buying well.

This was nice to read.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #22: Oct 26, 2014 11:46:46 am
      Looked very impressive on MOTD last night, as mentioned they have rebuilt after losing several key men - we get 85m for Suarez and we're fu**ed!?!?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #23: Oct 26, 2014 12:34:02 pm
      Looked very impressive on MOTD last night, as mentioned they have rebuilt after losing several key men - we get 85m for Suarez and we're fu**ed!?!?

Koeman has boxed very clever with the funds he was given & boy have they worked out well for him the club & team, you would think Pelle, Tadic & Alderweireld all were season PL players! they have fitted into the system & style of Koemans play.

Southampton have done very well from us & we have done poorly in return.
      « Last Edit: Oct 26, 2014 12:48:06 pm by Shabs »
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #24: Oct 27, 2014 06:36:10 am
      Think they were most people's second team last season. Loved watching them. Good to see they've kept it up.

My Anfield tour guide was a Southampton fan and he was lovely, too. Talked to him for half an hour about football.

Dusan Tadic looks absolutely brilliant. Pelle looks a f**king beast. Nat Clyne....I'm his biggest fan.

Don't forget the Schneiderlin lad. The one player from Saints I really wanted Brendan to have a go at.
      They knew who their most important player was and didn't let him leave.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #25: Oct 27, 2014 11:15:27 pm
      Very, very impressive.  Bit jealous with the way they go about their business, too.  They buy cheap, proven players from the continent for pennies.  Then sell big.

Would love to see them nip 4th as long as they're below us.

But I was thinking about this today, wouldn't their ground be too small for CL matches?  correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there some sort of minimum capacity rule for CL games?  40,000 or something?  I think theirs is below 30,000, isn't it?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #26: Oct 27, 2014 11:21:56 pm
      But I was thinking about this today, wouldn't their ground be too small for CL matches?  correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there some sort of minimum capacity rule for CL games?  40,000 or something?  I think theirs is below 30,000, isn't it?

Err what the hell have you been smoking?! Never heard such rubbish.

So how do you explain Basel at 38000, Monaco 18500, Apoel 22000 or even Panathinaikos at 16000?!

The only minimum capacity thing for the competition is when Platini said he wanted the final to be held in stadiums of like 70000.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #27: Oct 27, 2014 11:28:22 pm
      Err what the hell have you been smoking?! Never heard such rubbish.

hmm... weird, I could have sworn I heard something about that---maybe it was for the Euro 2016 matches.

Or maybe it was the "ranking" or "quality" of the stadiums; I remember that Otelul club in Romania had their stadium ruled ineligible for some reason (capacity of about 10,000 I believe) and so they played their games in Bucharest.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #28: Oct 27, 2014 11:33:30 pm
      hmm... weird, I could have sworn I heard something about that---maybe it was for the Euro 2016 matches.

Or maybe it was the "ranking" or "quality" of the stadiums; I remember that Otelul club in Romania had their stadium ruled ineligible for some reason (capacity of about 10,000 I believe) and so they played their games in Bucharest.

You really make me chuckle at times Fed. ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #29: Oct 27, 2014 11:39:46 pm

Was this what you were maybe looking at pal? It's only from Wikipedia but it is something;

Although the minimum stadium capacity for category four is 8,000, no stadium with a capacity less than 40,000 has been selected to host a UEFA Europa League Final, and no stadium with a capacity less than 60,000 has been selected to host a UEFA Champions League Final, since these regulations were introduced in 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_stadium_categories

Maybe it was the standard of the stadium in general because if it's the club I looked up they have capacity  of 13500 and couldn't see anything about having to play elsewhere.

Either way, I'm sure Southampton have a stadium more than adequate of being in the Champions League and will give them credit, I've been there a few times and it is pretty nice. Certainly no Anfield though that's for sure!
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #30: Oct 27, 2014 11:43:16 pm
      I'm fairly certain by the end of the season they won't have to worry if their stadium is up to standard
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #31: Oct 27, 2014 11:56:43 pm
      I'm fairly certain by the end of the season they won't have to worry if their stadium is up to standard

Think you're right, they have some tough fixtures coming up and I can see them slipping and finishing similar to last season.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #32: Oct 27, 2014 11:58:57 pm
      Think you're right, they have some tough fixtures coming up and I can see them slipping and finishing similar to last season.

I think so, once players wake up to the signings they have made and start watching how they can stop them playing..

I genuinely think they will struggle to get results in the second half of the season
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #33: Oct 28, 2014 12:05:08 am

;D

They are a good side but I agree Jon.

Mid table somewhere likely at the end of the season. Still good for a club like Southampton.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #34: Oct 28, 2014 11:26:36 am
      Something is right with their coaching/scouts though.
      Indeed.  ;D

Although slightly 'tongue-in-cheek', I wrote this in July:

"Tell you what tho: irrespective of whether or not this is true, or we do or don't sign the lad... when this window closes, the club should seriously consider going back to raid Southampton... For their scouts (maybe even their youth coaches) - Brendan obviously rates them very highly."

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,46439.msg1648653.html#msg1648653

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #35: Oct 28, 2014 12:02:17 pm
      That Tadic looks quite a player for a team that fancies to attack (us) how can you go past an attacking midfielder who scored 16 goals and had over 20 assists last season granted it was the Eredivise but at 10.9m it is low risk.

Crazy.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #36: Nov 25, 2014 02:18:26 pm
      Was watching Southampton's game yesterday as well as their last few games with the intention of focusing on Schneiderlin. I really really really can't believe he wasn't our 1st or 2nd choice this summer. Something about him that reminds me of Vieira. I think he could be better than Matic too.

Just curious, anyone here watch Schneiderlin much? am I over hyping him? How is he in big games? Always thought he was a good player, but I admit, I never really focused on him until this season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #37: Nov 25, 2014 02:43:51 pm
      Reality check for them coming up in their ganes now. They will either sink or swim.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #38: Nov 25, 2014 02:53:47 pm
      Reality check for them coming up in their ganes now. They will either sink or swim.

They are only a couple of injuries away to key players from dropping down the table I feel. But if like us last season they are lucky enough to go injury free for the season they will finish in the top 6.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #39: Jan 07, 2015 03:40:03 pm
      I've decided to irrationally attribute ALL of Southampton's success this season to the fact Sammy Lee is the assistant manager. Nice one, Sammy!
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #40: Jan 07, 2015 09:32:23 pm
      Well in Sammy :)
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #41: Jan 11, 2015 06:02:41 pm
      I've decided to irrationally attribute ALL of Southampton's success this season to the fact Sammy Lee is the assistant manager. Nice one, Sammy!

SAMMY! ;D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #42: Jan 11, 2015 06:10:41 pm
      Something tells me they sent us the wrong person when we asked for a Southampton centre back :D
      Begs
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 112 posts | 13 
      Reply #43: Jan 12, 2015 03:32:52 am
      Something tells me they sent us the wrong person when we asked for a Southampton centre back :D

hahaha this is funny

But I agree, I think the do deserve some credit. They have played most of this season and any team that can go into Old Trafford and pull out a win deserves, if nothing else, respect.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #44: Jan 12, 2015 10:21:41 am
      So we handed them almost £50m in the summer and all we got out of it was Lallana, essentially.

And then if they qualify for CL they'll get another £40m from BT for the TV rights.

So they earned £90m without actually losing any key components to their team.

now THAT is how you do business John Henry.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #45: Jan 12, 2015 11:20:58 am
      So we handed them almost £50m in the summer and all we got out of it was Lallana, essentially.

And then if they qualify for CL they'll get another £40m from BT for the TV rights.

Hindsight Fed mate.

Lovren had a great season and was highly rated.

Don't forget the Luke Shaw figure in your sums too...
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #46: Jan 12, 2015 11:28:45 am
      Hindsight Fed mate.

Lovren had a great season and was highly rated.

It also has a couple of extra things to it

Luck and the element of suprise

They wouldn't have sold the players they did this summer if they had their choice in the matter for one and the players that have been brought in weren't well known to the big players in the league, arrogantly? Yes but I get they haven't taken any notice of them, is bet that next season or even later on this these lads are studied more and taken more seriously and their weaknesses are identified

They are also playing with high confidence currently, that plays a big part

I'd still say they will drop away at some point, even though I admit that I thought it would be before now but again I think it's the confidence, but if they get nearer in the mix then pressure will test that confidence.

I'd still bet on us to turn around 7points on them before May.

They have had a fantastic season and we he had an awful one and we can still turn them round.. I think we will
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #47: Jan 12, 2015 11:33:04 am

50 Million.

Didn't buy Schneiderlin.
      Can we arrange a swap deal in January?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #48: Jan 12, 2015 11:53:00 am
      They are having a great season no doubt better than anyone could have predicted. But they still won't finish in the top 4.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #49: Jan 12, 2015 12:11:54 pm
      They are having a great season no doubt better than anyone could have predicted. But they still won't finish in the top 4.

All hangs on injuries for them.
      If the core of the team stays fit they'll finish top 4.
      If they suffer more than one or two injuries they'll stuggle.
      Small squad.

People go on about United have lots of injuries, but then ignore that for years United have had the biggest squad in the league.
      Southampton are similar to Liverpool in that they have some key players that are U21 in an other wise small squad.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #50: Jan 12, 2015 12:21:13 pm
      Small squad.

People go on about United have lots of injuries, but then ignore that for years United have had the biggest squad in the league.
      Southampton are similar to Liverpool in that they have some key players that are U21 in an other wise small squad.

If they lose Fonte and Schneiderlin through injury they are fu**ed. But even if they don't I still don't believe they will finish top 4. I think it will be City, Chelsea, Arsenal and either us or the scum for 4th. Southampton's inexperience will show come March they will drop points against all the bigger sides.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #51: Jan 12, 2015 12:24:25 pm
      If they lose Fonte and Schneiderlin through injury they are fu**ed. But even if they don't I still don't believe they will finish top 4. I think it will be City, Chelsea, Arsenal and either us or the scum for 4th. Southampton's inexperience will show come March they will drop points against all the bigger sides.

I don't think there is any pressure on Southampton.
      Koeman has shown to be tactically very good, which will help against the bigger teams.

I don't know why people rush to write them off for that.
      Injuries or lack of will define their season.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #52: Jan 12, 2015 12:27:55 pm
      Koeman has shown to be tactically very good, which will help against the bigger teams.

I just can't see it mate they are playing really well but I can see them going 3/4 games without a win again this season where other teams will be able to overtake them. I could well be proven wrong but if they get top 4 it would be more impressive than us finishing 2nd last season.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #53: Jan 12, 2015 12:29:24 pm
      I just can't see it mate they are playing really well but I can see them going 3/4 games without a win again this season where other teams will be able to overtake them. I could well be proven wrong but if they get top 4 it would be more impressive than us finishing 2nd last season.

Not more impressive than us almost winning the league,
      but definitely an indication of how weak the league is defensively.

Southampton are a very good team that have had a succession of quality managers.
      Koeman has started by making them hard to beat, which added to the attacking play they already had makes them a great team.
      Bier
      Reply #54: Jan 12, 2015 12:35:07 pm
      Small squad.

Technically in their last game against Man U, they were struggling with injuries or absent players though. Jay Rodriguez is still out, Mané is out, Cork is out, Alderweireld went out early in the game, Yoshida is at the Asian Cup. Which is why Gardos ended up playing, who was solid too. Ward-Prowse is their only under 21 player really that plays an important role at the moment. While they might get some more injuries, some of those I mentioned will come back. Honestly, it looks quite promising for them. Schneiderlin is probably the only player they can't do without.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #55: Jan 12, 2015 12:39:39 pm

Agree.

Like you say Racer if they stay clear of injuries I also think there is a great chance they'll finish top four.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #56: Jan 12, 2015 12:45:10 pm
      Technically in their last game against Man U, they were struggling with injuries or absent players though. Jay Rodriguez is still out, Mané is out, Cork is out, Alderweireld went out early in the game, Yoshida is at the Asian Cup. Which is why Gardos ended up playing, who was solid too. Ward-Prowse is their only under 21 player really that plays an important role at the moment. While they might get some more injuries, some of those I mentioned will come back. Honestly, it looks quite promising for them. Schneiderlin is probably the only player they can't do without.

They're down as a 25 man squad.
      Realistically though it's a 22 man squad with youth players making up the numbers, not including Ward-Prowse.
      I think they can afford to have injuries to fringe players or some of the attacking players.
      They can't afford an injury to Fonte or Schneiderlin.

If the spine of the team stays healthy they'll be hard to get ahead of.

Forster, Clyne, Fonte, Schneiderlin,Wanyama, Ward-Prowse, Tadic, Pellé.

That's a very good spine of the team.

Bier
      Reply #57: Jan 12, 2015 12:47:15 pm
      Ofcourse the problem with Koeman doing this well, the links with Barcelona are already starting, so Southampton might not be able to keep him for long. Especially because elections are coming up at Barcelona, and Laporta is going to take part. If he wins, Cruijff is back in too.
      Bier
      Reply #58: Jan 12, 2015 12:52:31 pm
      They're down as a 25 man squad.
      Realistically though it's a 22 man squad with youth players making up the numbers, not including Ward-Prowse.
      I think they can afford to have injuries to fringe players or some of the attacking players.
      They can't afford an injury to Fonte or Schneiderlin.

If the spine of the team stays healthy they'll be hard to get ahead of.

Forster, Clyne, Fonte, Schneiderlin,Wanyama, Ward-Prowse, Tadic, Pellé.

That's a very good spine of the team.

I actually think they can afford an injury to Fonte because he's playing in Alderweireld's best position. (And even Wanyama makes a very solid CB) But yeah, it'll be quite interesting to see how this goes. Ofcourse I want us to end above them, but at the same time I'm quite happy for Koeman. It's not common for a Dutch manager to manage in the Premier League, and he's doing really well. Koeman being above Van Gaal at the moment is kind of glorious.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #59: Jan 12, 2015 01:28:11 pm
      Koeman being above Van Gaal at the moment is kind of glorious.

Reckon by the end of the season people will be talking a lot more about Koeman.

Oh and you're right, I've seen the Barca links already.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #60: Jan 12, 2015 01:52:10 pm
      Koeman's doing a wonderful job, and along with Sean Dyche is the stand out manager in terms of performance in the Premiership right now IMHO. I thought they deserved to win yesterday.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #61: Jan 12, 2015 03:10:09 pm
      So I was mostly joking when I said Sammy Lee is the difference, but I do think he's been a reasonably good addition to a very good manager in Koeman.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #62: Jan 12, 2015 05:27:14 pm
      Well done Southampton! Now if you wouldn't mind F***ing off back down the table, that would be great!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #63: Jan 12, 2015 11:00:42 pm
      Hindsight Fed mate.  Lovren had a great season and was highly rated.

forgot about him.  So now they'll have over £100m if they qualify for CL.  Unbelievable.

re: hindsight.  I don't really see why this would have been such a huge surprise to the club.

We already tried a big money move for a player who had had ONE good year in the league: his name was Andy Carroll and he cost us £35m and was an utter disaster.

We could have looked at that deal to know that one good season in the league isn't enough to warrant a move for such a player, let alone spending a massive amount of money to buy him.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #64: Jan 12, 2015 11:17:29 pm
      So now they'll have over £100m if they qualify for CL.  Unbelievable.

Key word being IF. They still have a long way to go yet and with us and Spurs starting to pick up more points it will only get harder for them.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #65: Jan 12, 2015 11:25:17 pm
      I did not know Sammy Lee was first team coach at St Mary's.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #66: Jan 13, 2015 11:50:27 pm
      Southampton, 5th highest spenders in Europe during the last window.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #67: Jan 14, 2015 09:23:39 am
      Southampton, 5th highest spenders in Europe during the last window.

What about the net spend though, Rodders? :D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #68: Jan 14, 2015 09:33:13 am
      What about the net spend though, Rodders? :D
      Yep, they brought new nets as well.  :)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #69: Jan 14, 2015 10:41:05 am
      Yep, they brought new nets as well.  :)

We definitely gave them too much then.
      Bier
      Reply #70: Jan 14, 2015 11:45:56 am
      They're like 5th highest spenders in the Premier League alone though no? Behind us, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U. Then there's still teams like Barcelona, Real, Atletico.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #71: Jan 14, 2015 11:55:23 am
      They're like 5th highest spenders in the Premier League alone though no? Behind us, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U. Then there's still teams like Barcelona, Real, Atletico.

They did sell players in excess of £80 million in the summer though. Made a net profit of £36 million.

Southampton's secret is that they have the best youth academy in Britain by a mile. Well oiled machine churning out player after player.

Bier
      Reply #72: Jan 14, 2015 12:05:30 pm
      They did sell players in excess of £80 million in the summer though. Made a net profit of £36 million.

Southampton's secret is that they have the best youth academy in Britain by a mile. Well oiled machine churning out player after player.

I'm aware of that, was just reacting to them being 5th highest spenders in Europe, which I assume was based just on their spending, not their income. We basically funded their success last summer. Felt we did the same a few years ago with Newcastle.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #73: Jan 14, 2015 12:57:48 pm
      I'm aware of that, was just reacting to them being 5th highest spenders in Europe, which I assume was based just on their spending, not their income. We basically funded their success last summer. Felt we did the same a few years ago with Newcastle.

Yep. Biggest mugs in the transfer market. /LFC
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #74: Jan 14, 2015 09:22:44 pm
      Wanyama limping off with dodgey hamstring. Another blow for Koeman with already stretched squad. Cant see them keep winning.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #75: Jan 20, 2015 07:45:35 pm
      Elia, another wise signing by Koeman.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #76: Jan 21, 2015 12:03:02 pm
      Elia, another wise signing by Koeman.

Isn't this guy a loan from Bremen. Crazy when you think he is doing so well here while Bremen are struggling so badly in Bundesliga
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #77: Jan 21, 2015 12:35:19 pm
      Isn't this guy a loan from Bremen. Crazy when you think he is doing so well here while Bremen are struggling so badly in Bundesliga

Koeman seems to be playing Elia more as a secondary striker which is interesting as he typically plays left wing. Looks like a decent player but will take a few games to judge if he's the real deal.
      Bier
      Reply #78: Jan 21, 2015 12:54:30 pm
      Elia plays on the left wing for Southampton, he just has some freedom to switch it up a bit, same as Tadic. Especially on the break he moves to the center, making use of his pace. I'm not surprised he's starting out well, but I will be surprised if he does well for a longer period of time. A loan is a smart deal by Koeman, as Elia has something to prove, he wants to earn a permanent move I'm sure, and he'll want to pay back Koeman. So he's going to be at his best for a while, he's always shown that talent. But he's still thick, and I'd be surprised if his old problems don't surface eventually. If not, it'll be down to some brilliant man management by Koeman.

Still though, next season will be tough for Southampton, as they would probably need to buy Bertrand, Alderweireld and Elia just to stay on par with their current squad.  And they're probably going to loose Schneiderlin and possibly some others. And with European football they'll need more depth. If Schneiderlin moves though, I think Koeman is going to get Clasie from Feyenoord to replace him.
      « Last Edit: Jan 21, 2015 01:05:42 pm by Bier »
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #79: Feb 01, 2015 01:22:58 am
      Koeman, one of my favourite players ever, could pick someone out miles away and place the ball at his feet like a genius, has worked wonders as a manager now, quite amazing. But get out of our spot in the top 4 :D
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #80: Mar 25, 2015 05:52:59 pm
      Wow, Forster out for 9-12 months :o
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #81: Mar 25, 2015 06:18:38 pm

The advantage he has is he is a keeper. Being that he is a keeper, he is less likely to struggle to get back to his best when he returns where as so many outfield players are just never the same after doing their knee.

Quick Reply