Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Southampton, respect where it's due.

Read 11972 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: Southampton, respect where it's due.
      Reply #46: Jan 12, 2015 11:28:45 am
      Hindsight Fed mate.

Lovren had a great season and was highly rated.

Don't forget the Luke Shaw figure in your sums too...

It also has a couple of extra things to it

Luck and the element of suprise

They wouldn't have sold the players they did this summer if they had their choice in the matter for one and the players that have been brought in weren't well known to the big players in the league, arrogantly? Yes but I get they haven't taken any notice of them, is bet that next season or even later on this these lads are studied more and taken more seriously and their weaknesses are identified

They are also playing with high confidence currently, that plays a big part

I'd still say they will drop away at some point, even though I admit that I thought it would be before now but again I think it's the confidence, but if they get nearer in the mix then pressure will test that confidence.

I'd still bet on us to turn around 7points on them before May.

They have had a fantastic season and we he had an awful one and we can still turn them round.. I think we will
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #47: Jan 12, 2015 11:33:04 am
      So we handed them almost £50m in the summer and all we got out of it was Lallana, essentially.

And then if they qualify for CL they'll get another £40m from BT for the TV rights.

So they earned £90m without actually losing any key components to their team.

now THAT is how you do business John Henry.

50 Million.

Didn't buy Schneiderlin.
      Can we arrange a swap deal in January?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #48: Jan 12, 2015 11:53:00 am
      They are having a great season no doubt better than anyone could have predicted. But they still won't finish in the top 4.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #49: Jan 12, 2015 12:11:54 pm
      They are having a great season no doubt better than anyone could have predicted. But they still won't finish in the top 4.

All hangs on injuries for them.
      If the core of the team stays fit they'll finish top 4.
      If they suffer more than one or two injuries they'll stuggle.
      Small squad.

People go on about United have lots of injuries, but then ignore that for years United have had the biggest squad in the league.
      Southampton are similar to Liverpool in that they have some key players that are U21 in an other wise small squad.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #50: Jan 12, 2015 12:21:13 pm
      Small squad.

People go on about United have lots of injuries, but then ignore that for years United have had the biggest squad in the league.
      Southampton are similar to Liverpool in that they have some key players that are U21 in an other wise small squad.

If they lose Fonte and Schneiderlin through injury they are fu**ed. But even if they don't I still don't believe they will finish top 4. I think it will be City, Chelsea, Arsenal and either us or the scum for 4th. Southampton's inexperience will show come March they will drop points against all the bigger sides.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #51: Jan 12, 2015 12:24:25 pm
      If they lose Fonte and Schneiderlin through injury they are fu**ed. But even if they don't I still don't believe they will finish top 4. I think it will be City, Chelsea, Arsenal and either us or the scum for 4th. Southampton's inexperience will show come March they will drop points against all the bigger sides.

I don't think there is any pressure on Southampton.
      Koeman has shown to be tactically very good, which will help against the bigger teams.

I don't know why people rush to write them off for that.
      Injuries or lack of will define their season.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #52: Jan 12, 2015 12:27:55 pm
      Koeman has shown to be tactically very good, which will help against the bigger teams.

I just can't see it mate they are playing really well but I can see them going 3/4 games without a win again this season where other teams will be able to overtake them. I could well be proven wrong but if they get top 4 it would be more impressive than us finishing 2nd last season.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #53: Jan 12, 2015 12:29:24 pm
      I just can't see it mate they are playing really well but I can see them going 3/4 games without a win again this season where other teams will be able to overtake them. I could well be proven wrong but if they get top 4 it would be more impressive than us finishing 2nd last season.

Not more impressive than us almost winning the league,
      but definitely an indication of how weak the league is defensively.

Southampton are a very good team that have had a succession of quality managers.
      Koeman has started by making them hard to beat, which added to the attacking play they already had makes them a great team.
      Bier
      Reply #54: Jan 12, 2015 12:35:07 pm
      Small squad.

Technically in their last game against Man U, they were struggling with injuries or absent players though. Jay Rodriguez is still out, Mané is out, Cork is out, Alderweireld went out early in the game, Yoshida is at the Asian Cup. Which is why Gardos ended up playing, who was solid too. Ward-Prowse is their only under 21 player really that plays an important role at the moment. While they might get some more injuries, some of those I mentioned will come back. Honestly, it looks quite promising for them. Schneiderlin is probably the only player they can't do without.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #55: Jan 12, 2015 12:39:39 pm

Agree.

Like you say Racer if they stay clear of injuries I also think there is a great chance they'll finish top four.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #56: Jan 12, 2015 12:45:10 pm
      Technically in their last game against Man U, they were struggling with injuries or absent players though. Jay Rodriguez is still out, Mané is out, Cork is out, Alderweireld went out early in the game, Yoshida is at the Asian Cup. Which is why Gardos ended up playing, who was solid too. Ward-Prowse is their only under 21 player really that plays an important role at the moment. While they might get some more injuries, some of those I mentioned will come back. Honestly, it looks quite promising for them. Schneiderlin is probably the only player they can't do without.

They're down as a 25 man squad.
      Realistically though it's a 22 man squad with youth players making up the numbers, not including Ward-Prowse.
      I think they can afford to have injuries to fringe players or some of the attacking players.
      They can't afford an injury to Fonte or Schneiderlin.

If the spine of the team stays healthy they'll be hard to get ahead of.

Forster, Clyne, Fonte, Schneiderlin,Wanyama, Ward-Prowse, Tadic, Pellé.

That's a very good spine of the team.

Bier
      Reply #57: Jan 12, 2015 12:47:15 pm
      Ofcourse the problem with Koeman doing this well, the links with Barcelona are already starting, so Southampton might not be able to keep him for long. Especially because elections are coming up at Barcelona, and Laporta is going to take part. If he wins, Cruijff is back in too.
      Bier
      Reply #58: Jan 12, 2015 12:52:31 pm
      They're down as a 25 man squad.
      Realistically though it's a 22 man squad with youth players making up the numbers, not including Ward-Prowse.
      I think they can afford to have injuries to fringe players or some of the attacking players.
      They can't afford an injury to Fonte or Schneiderlin.

If the spine of the team stays healthy they'll be hard to get ahead of.

Forster, Clyne, Fonte, Schneiderlin,Wanyama, Ward-Prowse, Tadic, Pellé.

That's a very good spine of the team.

I actually think they can afford an injury to Fonte because he's playing in Alderweireld's best position. (And even Wanyama makes a very solid CB) But yeah, it'll be quite interesting to see how this goes. Ofcourse I want us to end above them, but at the same time I'm quite happy for Koeman. It's not common for a Dutch manager to manage in the Premier League, and he's doing really well. Koeman being above Van Gaal at the moment is kind of glorious.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #59: Jan 12, 2015 01:28:11 pm
      Koeman being above Van Gaal at the moment is kind of glorious.

Reckon by the end of the season people will be talking a lot more about Koeman.

Oh and you're right, I've seen the Barca links already.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #60: Jan 12, 2015 01:52:10 pm
      Koeman's doing a wonderful job, and along with Sean Dyche is the stand out manager in terms of performance in the Premiership right now IMHO. I thought they deserved to win yesterday.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #61: Jan 12, 2015 03:10:09 pm
      So I was mostly joking when I said Sammy Lee is the difference, but I do think he's been a reasonably good addition to a very good manager in Koeman.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #62: Jan 12, 2015 05:27:14 pm
      Well done Southampton! Now if you wouldn't mind F***ing off back down the table, that would be great!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #63: Jan 12, 2015 11:00:42 pm
      Hindsight Fed mate.  Lovren had a great season and was highly rated.

Don't forget the Luke Shaw figure in your sums too...

forgot about him.  So now they'll have over £100m if they qualify for CL.  Unbelievable.

re: hindsight.  I don't really see why this would have been such a huge surprise to the club.

We already tried a big money move for a player who had had ONE good year in the league: his name was Andy Carroll and he cost us £35m and was an utter disaster.

We could have looked at that deal to know that one good season in the league isn't enough to warrant a move for such a player, let alone spending a massive amount of money to buy him.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #64: Jan 12, 2015 11:17:29 pm
      So now they'll have over £100m if they qualify for CL.  Unbelievable.

Key word being IF. They still have a long way to go yet and with us and Spurs starting to pick up more points it will only get harder for them.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #65: Jan 12, 2015 11:25:17 pm
      I did not know Sammy Lee was first team coach at St Mary's.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #66: Jan 13, 2015 11:50:27 pm
      Southampton, 5th highest spenders in Europe during the last window.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #67: Jan 14, 2015 09:23:39 am
      Southampton, 5th highest spenders in Europe during the last window.

What about the net spend though, Rodders? :D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #68: Jan 14, 2015 09:33:13 am
      What about the net spend though, Rodders? :D
      Yep, they brought new nets as well.  :)

Quick Reply