Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Southampton, respect where it's due.

Read 11974 times
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Southampton, respect where it's due.
      Oct 25, 2014 03:29:15 am
      I didn't want to put that they've been ravaged (or raped) in the thread title, I'm quite fascinated that one of my favourite ever players has managed them so well this season (Ronald Koeman) after their team got dissected by other teams.
      Wtf ? Their acadamy is better than ours?
      Are they allowed a thread here? Of course they should be. More than Chelsea.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Southampton, respect where it's due.
      Reply #1: Oct 25, 2014 11:55:33 am
      I didn't want to put that they've been ravaged (or raped) in the thread title, I'm quite fascinated that one of my favourite ever players has managed them so well this season (Ronald Koeman) after their team got dissected by other teams.
      Are they allowed a thread here? Of course they should be. More than Chelsea.

I definitely respect Southamptons start to the season after the fire sale of the summer,  someone has a real eye for player recruitment at the club,  hopefully they fall back a bit and allow us to leapfrog them soon though.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #2: Oct 25, 2014 01:29:19 pm
      I definitely respect Southamptons start to the season after the fire sale of the summer,  someone has a real eye for player recruitment at the club,  hopefully they fall back a bit and allow us to leapfrog them soon though.

Oh yes I'm not doubting us being able to out do them, they've blew my mind after being tore apart in the transfer window.
      Worth noting, this team, even with Pochettino leaving.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #3: Oct 25, 2014 01:34:42 pm
      I like Southampton, always have. Am absolutely thrilled for them that they're doing well after being raided in the summer.

They've lost key players, but they've gained arguably even more quality than they lost by buying well.
      Bier
      Reply #4: Oct 25, 2014 01:36:57 pm
      Koeman is a nice bloke. He's doing better than I expected though, he's had his failings in the past but looks like he learned from them and has become a better manager with the years. The transfers of Tadic, Pelle and Alderweireld definitely have his name on them. While I expected Tadic to be good, I'm very surprised by Pelle's success. Normally strikers at his age don't translate well from the eredivisie to a top league. Ofcourse Koeman knew him well because he worked with him at Feyenoord, so probably knew he had more in him. And Southampton definitely have a solid academy.

But the Koeman story gets alot of sympathy from me. It was their father's wish, who was also a former player, that his sons would manage a club together. Unfortunately he passed away last December. So it's a bit bitter sweet for them that they're now managing together. Erwin Koeman is actually a pretty solid manager himself, but is very happy to work in his brother's shadow. It's very obvious to me that they're honoured to manage a club together in the Premier League. And it's kind of revenge now for Ronald too, as he wanted the Dutch national team position last year but felt he was done over by the Dutch FA, who chose Hiddink instead. Now Hiddink is doing very badly and Koeman is very happy to be managing Southampton.

From what I gathered their training and pre season especially has differed alot from last season under Pochettino, who focussed more on the physical aspect, while now they're training more with the ball. Which surprised me, as that's the kind of training I'd expect from someone like Pochettino too.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #5: Oct 25, 2014 01:44:30 pm
      Koeman is a nice bloke. He's doing better than I expected though, he's had his failings in the past but looks like he learned from them and has become a better manager with the years. The transfers of Tadic, Pelle and Alderweireld definitely have his name on them. While I expected Tadic to be good, I'm very surprised by Pelle's success. Normally strikers at his age don't translate well from the eredivisie to a top league. Ofcourse Koeman knew him well because he worked with him at Feyenoord, so probably knew he had more in him. And Southampton definitely have a solid academy.

But the Koeman story gets alot of sympathy from me. It was their father's wish, who was also a former player, that his sons would manage a club together. Unfortunately he passed away last December. So it's a bit bitter sweet for them that they're now managing together. But it's very obvious to me that they're very honoured to manage a club together in the Premier League. And it's kind of revenge now for Ronald too, as he wanted the Dutch national team position last year but felt he was done over by the Dutch FA, who chose Hiddink instead. Now Hiddink is doing very badly and Koeman is very happy to be managing Southampton.

From what I gathered their training and pre season especially has differed alot from last season under Pochettino, who focussed more on the physical aspect, while now they're training more with the ball. Which surprised me, as that's the kind of training I'd expect from someone like Pochettino too.

Wow thanks for sharing this, all I knew from Koeman was I saw him when I was in Gran Canaria (my cousins all support Real Madrid) playing for Barcelona and I've never seen anyone pick out a long pass as well as him, Stevie comes close like.
      Made up for them this season, because I felt sorry for their fans.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6: Oct 25, 2014 01:46:04 pm

Difference is, they gamble, play their youngsters and nurture them in the 1st team.

It's easier for lower/mid table teams to do this as there is less pressure than a top club, that is why they are churning out very good quality youngsters.
      Bier
      Reply #7: Oct 25, 2014 01:53:36 pm
      Wow thanks for sharing this, all I knew from Koeman was I saw him when I was in Gran Canaria (my cousins all support Real Madrid) playing for Barcelona and I've never seen anyone pick out a long pass as well as him, Stevie comes close like.
      Made up for them this season, because I felt sorry for their fans.

Yeah, Koeman gave amazing long range passes, and had a brilliant long distance shot, great free kicks. I think he's actually one of the most scoring defenders in the history of football. Was a great player, pivotal in the Dutch national team that won Euro 1988, the PSV team that won the European Cup in 1988, and the Barcelona team that won the 1992 European Cup.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #8: Oct 25, 2014 01:54:16 pm
      Difference is, they gamble, play their youngsters and nurture them in the 1st team.

It's easier for lower/mid table teams to do this as there is less pressure than a top club, that is why they are churning out very good quality youngsters.

True enough; they get more of a chance maybe.
       Something is right with their coaching/scouts though.
      I'm not coveting someone elses set-up but if something can be improved here then yes I will.
      I mightn't have worded it well today, thought they deserved a topic this season, we bought 3 players from them and they are doing great.
      I was curious to peoples opinions here.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Oct 25, 2014 01:55:30 pm
      Think they were most people's second team last season. Loved watching them. Good to see they've kept it up.

My Anfield tour guide was a Southampton fan and he was lovely, too. Talked to him for half an hour about football.

Dusan Tadic looks absolutely brilliant. Pelle looks a F***ing beast. Nat Clyne....I'm his biggest fan.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #10: Oct 25, 2014 02:00:25 pm
      Yeah, Koeman gave amazing long range passes, and had a brilliant long distance shot, great free kicks. I think he's actually one of the most scoring defenders in the history of football. Was a great player, pivotal in the Dutch national team that won Euro 1988, the PSV team that won the European Cup in 1988, and the Barcelona team that won the 1992 European Cup.

You know what- I mention Koeman to alot of people and they don't remember him that well or see what he was like, so it's good to see you have noticed well more than me.
      I'm glad that you gave me more info relating to him.

Bier
      Reply #11: Oct 25, 2014 02:02:22 pm
      You know what- I mention Koeman to alot of people and they don't remember him that well or see what he was like, so it's good to see you have noticed well more than me.
      I'm glad that you gave me more info relating to him.

Just looking at some of his stats right now. 21 goals at PSV in the Dutch league in 87-88 season. 16 goals for Barcelona in the 92-93 La Liga season. Champions League top scorer in 93-94 with 8 goals. Not bad for a central defender.

Ronald Koeman, top goalscorer of 1993-94 UEFA Champions League
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #12: Oct 25, 2014 02:08:50 pm
      Just looking at some of his stats right now. 21 goals at PSV in the Dutch league in 87-88 season. 16 goals for Barcelona in the 92-93 La Liga season. Champions League top scorer in 93-94 with 8 goals. Not bad for a central defender.

Ronald Koeman, top goalscorer of 1993-94 UEFA Champions League

Wow he had a precise aim, good to see Bobby Robson aswell (loved that guy), that goal at 3.20 is amazing.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #13: Oct 25, 2014 03:00:07 pm
      Don't like them, in fact I can't stand them and whilst their academy has done well they have made a lot of mistakes and let go a couple of fantastic lads (mostly the Pardew era). In terms of them over the last two seasons they have done very well but there is no pressure on them. This season if they'd have kept Lallana etc then they would have been expected to be a strong team again but by selling so many key players that pressure wasn't there and although most people have expected them to struggle, they have done the exact opposite and just improved on last season.

It's a worrying sight when a team like Southampton can lose so many key players and find perfect replacements, yet we lose one player, get 100 odd million to spend and can't replace that one player and look a distant team compared to last season.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #14: Oct 25, 2014 07:14:33 pm
      really happy to see teams like southampton and swansea are playing some great football, hope they keep it this way, feels like a new breath of fresh air to see new teams up there in the top 6
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #15: Oct 25, 2014 11:26:25 pm
      and all this with Sammy Lee as head coach as well.... well done Sammy.. grafter !..
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #16: Oct 25, 2014 11:45:34 pm
      Brilliantly brilliantly run club.

Their emphasis on the youth academy puts every other club - particularly our own - to shame.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #17: Oct 26, 2014 07:18:15 am
      what starts to annoy me is the fact that their fans are mocking us, saying their b-team only managed a draw vs hull and thanking us that we took their dead wood so they can sign quality players
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #18: Oct 26, 2014 07:22:40 am
      what starts to annoy me is the fact that their fans are mocking us, saying their b-team only managed a draw vs hull and thanking us that we took their dead wood so they can sign quality players

Schadenfreude

Don't take it personally
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #19: Oct 26, 2014 10:58:15 am

"Schadenfreude" haha great word, German's have a few like that, all useful in aggressive situations.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #20: Oct 26, 2014 11:33:20 am
      Don't like them, in fact I can't stand them and whilst their academy has done well they have made a lot of mistakes and let go a couple of fantastic lads (mostly the Pardew era). In terms of them over the last two seasons they have done very well but there is no pressure on them. This season if they'd have kept Lallana etc then they would have been expected to be a strong team again but by selling so many key players that pressure wasn't there and although most people have expected them to struggle, they have done the exact opposite and just improved on last season.

It's a worrying sight when a team like Southampton can lose so many key players and find perfect replacements, yet we lose one player, get 100 odd million to spend and can't replace that one player and look a distant team compared to last season.

Fair enough then, you have taken a dislike to them, it can happen; no doubt.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #21: Oct 26, 2014 11:34:50 am
      I like Southampton, always have. Am absolutely thrilled for them that they're doing well after being raided in the summer.

They've lost key players, but they've gained arguably even more quality than they lost by buying well.

This was nice to read.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #22: Oct 26, 2014 11:46:46 am
      Looked very impressive on MOTD last night, as mentioned they have rebuilt after losing several key men - we get 85m for Suarez and we're fu**ed!?!?

Quick Reply